Crying--how much? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I know Miss K has reflux and colic, and she cries more than average. But my question is this, if you are holding your lo and they are still crying, so you move and rock, and walk, and try the swing, and try everything that has worked before, do you just sit where you are comfortable and do your best to comfort them, or keep changing positions and trying to think of something else that might work? This is what I have been doing, but sometimes I am to the point of exhaustion. So I just sit and rock her while she cries. Then I feel like I am not trying hard enough to comfort her. Or the walking and swooshing her back and forth is working, but after 30 minutes of it my arms are tired and my back hurts and I need to sit and then she cries again. Would you feel guilty for sitting for a few minutes and talking to her....

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
nak

No, no guilt at all. Because you haven't left her.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 PM

ds cries a lot. When there is nothing i can do to stop the crying, i might as well do something that is a little more comfortable for me. Becuase trying and trying and trying there are times he then needs placed in a safe area and me walk away for a minute. For my own sanity.

I never understood this with the last kid, but OMG when they cry non stop, just do whatever to get through it. Trying to help them not cry but if they are going to regardless at least help your own sanity

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 PM

No, don't feel guilty. Murph is right.

DS1 cried so much I thought I'd go insane. Sometimes there was just nothing anybody could do. I say... check everything you can think of, hold her for a while, and then check again. If you keep trying new things and don't rest, you'll wear yourself out. You are trying your best.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 07:09 PM

If you have read my posts, you know I have been there. If you are not leaving your LO, holding them, and "there" for them, it is fine to just sit and hold them.

For about 2-3 weeks, the only way to get LO to sleep was to hold while he screamed himself to sleep. I could walk, rock, shush, swaddle, etc....but he would fuss annd cry for hours (sometimes as long as 9 hours straight without sleeping), but if I stopped trying and just held him while he screamed (and I mean top of the lungs screaming), he woould fall asleep after 20-40 minutes.

Honestly, I hated it, but knew I was doing everything I could for him, and would hold him and usually cry myself while he did it.

Once we got the right amount of Zantac for his reflux and started allowing him to sleep on his tummy, the screaming has stopped and he cries sooooo much less.

Sending lots of hugs to you and Miss K.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 PM

I have a 9 month old grandson that is teething and wants to be held and you have to be standing or he cries. He's heavy and I have a broken foot with a cast! We live in Tucson with no AC and my foot is swollen in my cast and I can't stand long.

Sometimes you can find things other than holding that work. Sometimes you just gotta do what works. Car rides, vibrating seats, swings, ect. You just need to make sure you don't abuse mom substitutes.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all of the support guys. you are great.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page