PPCHAT Monday 6/15- sunday 6/21 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurilj View Post
I'm going back to work tomorrow. I'm so sad. I know it's not going to be that bad, I'll see my baby at lunch and the time will go by a lot more quickly than I'm imagining, but I feel terrible anyway. My husband is going to be a stay at home dad, so at least Ryan will be with a parent. I just don't want to leave him. The longest I've ever been away from him is about three hours, and it hasn't happened very often. Now everything is going to change and I feel like our special time is coming to an end.

AFwife: so glad DH is back and it's helping you!

I decided to blog. I"m such an emotional person it'll be good to get it all out. For those who were following my other one, it's now just for pics on here and diaper swappers....here is my new blog.

http://shineliketheson-mymotherhoodtrail.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurilj View Post
I'm going back to work tomorrow. I'm so sad. I know it's not going to be that bad, I'll see my baby at lunch and the time will go by a lot more quickly than I'm imagining, but I feel terrible anyway. My husband is going to be a stay at home dad, so at least Ryan will be with a parent. I just don't want to leave him. The longest I've ever been away from him is about three hours, and it hasn't happened very often. Now everything is going to change and I feel like our special time is coming to an end.

new special times will come from new situations and with time

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#63 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
Oh, and EBM... is like water for this guy -- he'll take at least 7-8 ounces of that... >.<
Glad it's not just us!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#64 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cooper usually taked 5 ounces of EBM. I have some drinks after I feed him or pump. I usually give him a bottle for his next feeding.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#65 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 PM

AFWife, I am so glad your DH is home. I am hoping that his help and presence helps relieve some family stress. Where will your first base be? We have been to Hurburt Field (in Florida), Mildenhall (England), and are now at Maxwell (Alabama).

I drink wine more nights than not here. When I have craved beer, I've had it--just had a good English beer on Monday after doing bedtime alone.

Shine, I read your blog and have some PP blues too. Sending hugs your way.

Kate, my two cats ignore Ben, but are terrified of Liam. When Liam was little, they were curious about him and sniffed him. I think they ignore Ben b/c they know he'll grow into a toddler tornado, like Liam. Liam is very gentle with them, but his shrieking scares them.

Me.....after a roough Monday and LO catching big brother's cold, I am doing better. I feel like every Monday when DH goes back to work, I fall apart. By Wednesday, I am better. By Friday, I found a groove. The weekend goes well, and then Monday destroys me again.

Today, I braved taking both boys to the pool by myself. It took me an hour to pack the bag, get sunscreen on everyone, get everyone dressed, and get us out the door. Then got to the pool and left the car running while I unloaded the stroller, put our towels and diaper bag in it, and loaded the 22 month old. Then I got the 2 month old, grabbed our HOA pass and turned the van off. I took ODS out of the strolle rand put LO in it, and he cooperated and fell asleep. I had a carrier for him (a buckle tai) but with 98 degree weather and 110 heat index, we were both too hot for me to wear him. So he napped in the stroller while I played in the splash pad with Liam and watched him in the baby pool. Some teenager came to the splash pad and let the 22 month old play with their ball and he thought they were his friends and kept tilting his head, smiling at them, and babbling baby talk. : Then we went to the baby pool and LO woke up so he went into the carrier and nursed while I kept an eye on Liam. Then I put Liam in the stroller kicking and screaming and left.

When we got home, Liam took a long nap, but Ben wouldn't settle, so I nursed him on the couch and he napped in my arms. Both are asleep now and if I can find my DH, I want to snuggle him too.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#66 of 124 Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM

ah, I see, perhaps I should go as much by size as age I guess for how much to expect her to eat at a feeding. Too bad I don't know how big she is... I have my last PP visit (will be 8 weeks) next week at the MW's office, so I'll find out then. She was close to 10lbs at 4 weeks though and she started out bigger than my son who was 12 lbs at 2 mos, so I'm guessing she is at least that big.

I'll try for 5 oz next time and then there is some frozen BM that can be thawed as needed. I'm not expecting to be gone for more than 2 hours until next fall, so the worst that would happen is she'd drink a whole bottle and then be hungry for a little while...

I never worried too much about alcohol (or caffeine-- though I know some babies might be really sensitive to it I haven't noticed it) while breastfeeding. But I've had no desire to drink alcohol. My understanding is that the BM has the same alcohol content as your *blood* so its really pretty low. Still, probably a good idea to wait a little bit after downing a big serving.

racie... I'm impressed about taking a toddler and infant to the pool. I am trying to figure out how we will manage that.

dissertating mom to three

#67 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Julian has decided this week that he won't sleep unless I'm holding him. He has always preferred that of course but I could put him down here and there for short naps and once in while he'd sleep in hour in the swing. He wakes up the second I stick him down, which I was expecting, both the girls were like this, but hoping he'd nap every now and then out of arms. We are so busy and I'm always on the go that having him sleep peacefully while I'm driving to yet another gymnastics class or something was nice. Sigh.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#68 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Oli has finally gotten much better about me putting him down. It's so nice not to have to hold him 24-7 now. It's only 30 minutes here and there, but it's still nice to set him down and not hear screaming!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#69 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
replacing beer with weed??
:

girl... you totally CRACK me up....

I just saying....

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#70 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 AM

anyone know about unemployment?

So how does one begin to try to figure out how much you'll get for unemployment?
before taxes he brought home 730.77 - after taxes/etc taken out- 543.07

If dh did freelance work, would he no longer get unemployement?

If I got some crappy job like at a pizza place in town, would he get less money from unemployment?

How does taxes work for unemployment?

He's got 4 weeks severence and 2 1/2 weeks vacation - so we have 6 1/2 weeks before we have to worry how we'll pay the bills. Obviously I don't want to wait until then.

Cobra - the kids have medicaid, i think me and dh should probably get the cobra, Medical & RX only = $243.71; with Dental Optical = $253.39. That's per month i believe, but i want dh to make sure on that... With our fabulous luck if we don;t get it one of use will get hurt and we'd really be screwed with

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#71 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
:

girl... you totally CRACK me up....

I just saying....

watch out...you'll bring the DEA down on the DDC and CPS will put the SMACK down on us!

Murph, I don't know about unemployment. Is there someone at the office who will talk to you? You can call up and ask anonymously if you don't want the questions associated with your claim.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#72 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 AM

Sophia takes 3oz EBM every 3 hrs but sometimes its every 2 hrs if shes super hungry.

Murph - can you go onto your states unemployment website? Normally they have lists you can download to see if your eligible. As for freelance, if it was only cash that exchanged hands (not a check, no receipts) then I wouldnt report it. But thats just me.

Sophia was taken off the ventilator today (from surgery) and is doing great!! This means I can hold her again. (been 6 days They are weaning her off the morphine and shes doing great with that too. Her heart surgery scar was closed with skin glue so it barely noticeable. (Ill post a pic when I find one thats not going to scare everyone) Today was a good day.
Found a decent pic. Dont be scared or worried. The big white tube in her mouth is the ventilator, the one in her nose is her feeding tube. Her forehead looks huge because they had to shave an inch of hair off for the forehead monitors. The gauze in the middle is just covering the place where a drain tube was. The scar is the least noticeable thing in the picture! I just remember that every single one of these things is doing its part in saving her life and then they dont seem so scary! http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0437.jpg

She has the WORST baby acne I have ever seen. They think its a combo of being sensitive to the tape the picu used (to hold down all her tubes) and plain acne, its horrific. I guess my bro had the exact same thing when he was a newborn.

In a few days we will start teaching her how to use the bottle. The guilt of having to bottle feed and use formula is completely gone and Im just willing to do anything to get her home, kwim? After a lot of guilty and disappointed tears I realized that having to give a bottle of formula to her is a small price to pay to have her home and in my arms!!! Plus, Im still pumping a third of her feeds and thats something.

Sorry to hijack the thread with updates

wife. dd1 : dd2
#73 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
In a few days we will start teaching her how to use the bottle. The guilt of having to bottle feed and use formula is completely gone and Im just willing to do anything to get her home, kwim? After a lot of guilty and disappointed tears I realized that having to give a bottle of formula to her is a small price to pay to have her home and in my arms!!! Plus, Im still pumping a third of her feeds and thats something.

It's all good. We're fortunate to have the option of formula when it's necessary. I keep reminding myself that I was formula-fed and not only do I have a terrific immune system, but I'm no worse off than I would have been on EBM. How different would I be? Who knows and who cares! I hope Zack ends up just as healthy and well-rounded.

And, certainly, we all are happy to read your posts -- especially with good news!!

#74 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 PM

AFWife, so glad that your DH is home and that you have an extra set of hands to help with Franklin! Your middle-of-the-night poop story made me .

Racie, I am amazed that you took both kiddos to the pool without going bonkers.

Lindsay, Sophia is looking great! My brother, who is a surgeon, says that the surgical glue is the best way of closing incisions because you end up with such a nice-looking scar. And yes, formula is nothing to feel guilty about. It's there for situations where it's really needed, which it is in this case. Also, I think we'd all be pretty disappointed if we didn't get frequent updates, so don't worry about threadjacking.

I have to take River in this morning for an ultrasound to check on how her hip is doing. We might get to go down to wearing the harness 12 hours a day if it looks close to being fixed. : She still seems to be experiencing some teething pain off and on. I'm going to have to pick up some baby Tylenol or ibuprofen for her, since I can only give her the Orajel every 6 hours.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#75 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

I'm quitting the pump, kids. I've been lazy, busy and found the situation to be hopeless for me. I strongly believe I could have made it work, but I chose not to. This makes me feel badly and I just hope I gave Zack enough BM during the first month to make the effort worthwhile. He sure is doing well, but I still feel a bit like a failure on this since I know I could have made it work if I wasn't so concerned with myself.

I am somehwat relieved, but also kindof sad. I wanted to feed him naturally for six months.

On the bright side I am totally loving my new BG 3s at night. ... :-/

#76 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
AFWife, I am so glad your DH is home. I am hoping that his help and presence helps relieve some family stress. Where will your first base be? We have been to Hurburt Field (in Florida), Mildenhall (England), and are now at Maxwell (Alabama).
We're going to be at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. (Where he had basic training) We're excited because it's close to family

On the drinking: DS cant' handle when I have beer (he pukes a BUNCH after I drink it) I've had a couple of mixed drinks in the past few weeks and he seems to do okay with it...but we're talking a shot of rum in the whole drink or something...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#77 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Found a decent pic. Dont be scared or worried. The big white tube in her mouth is the ventilator, the one in her nose is her feeding tube. Her forehead looks huge because they had to shave an inch of hair off for the forehead monitors. The gauze in the middle is just covering the place where a drain tube was. The scar is the least noticeable thing in the picture! I just remember that every single one of these things is doing its part in saving her life and then they dont seem so scary! http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0437.jpg
She really is starting to lookj kgood. I bet the shaved head part was a bummer with all that beautiful hair! Thank god you can hold her again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
I have to take River in this morning for an ultrasound to check on how her hip is doing. We might get to go down to wearing the harness 12 hours a day if it looks close to being fixed. : She still seems to be experiencing some teething pain off and on. I'm going to have to pick up some baby Tylenol or ibuprofen for her, since I can only give her the Orajel every 6 hours.
have you tried the highland's teething tablets? everyone i know swears by them and says they work better than tylenol.

Quote:
I'm quitting the pump, kids. I've been lazy, busy and found the situation to be hopeless for me. I strongly believe I could have made it work, but I chose not to. This makes me feel badly and I just hope I gave Zack enough BM during the first month to make the effort worthwhile. He sure is doing well, but I still feel a bit like a failure on this since I know I could have made it work if I wasn't so concerned with myself.

I am somehwat relieved, but also kindof sad. I wanted to feed him naturally for six months.

well, like you said, Zack's a big healthy boy! He'll be fine.

I wish I had more bg! The other day I had $60 on a gift card to spend at target and i piddled it away before i remembered they sell bg on their website :.

DH and I got in a doozy. He said he doesn't understand what I do all day. I ran to the store when he got home from work and left him with dd (who was happy and recently fed) and he was able to send the two e-mails I didn't get to all day, so he surmised that i'm just goofing off all day. Anyway, we worked through it, but I know he doesn't get it .

i have had the most annoying fly in the house for like a week. it buzzes right in your ear all day long and it's too fast to kill. argh

#78 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Shine, I read your blog and have some PP blues too. Sending hugs your way.

Me.....after a roough Monday and LO catching big brother's cold, I am doing better. I feel like every Monday when DH goes back to work, I fall apart. By Wednesday, I am better. By Friday, I found a groove. The weekend goes well, and then Monday destroys me again.
THanks...I feel inconsiderate somedays complaining when I have my baby in arms. I know about feeling defeated...I've felt this many a days, blogging my feelings out really helps! It will get better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Julian has decided this week that he won't sleep unless I'm holding him. He has always preferred that of course but I could put him down here and there for short naps and once in while he'd sleep in hour in the swing. He wakes up the second I stick him down, which I was expecting, both the girls were like this, but hoping he'd nap every now and then out of arms. We are so busy and I'm always on the go that having him sleep peacefully while I'm driving to yet another gymnastics class or something was nice. Sigh.
LO has also decided not to sleep unless in the wrap/mei-tai. Dh can get her to sleep while just holding but she won't for me. Glad I have the mei tai, as we were still pretty hot in the gauze wrap and she got heat rash back on her cheek! UGh! Might have to save the wrap for forward facing only till it cools off. She rarly sleeps in swing anymore but thankfully still sleeps well at night on the twin next to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph12334 View Post
anyone know about unemployment?
Don't know about it but just sending

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post

watch out...you'll bring the DEA down on the DDC and CPS will put the SMACK down on us!
laughup Too funny Kate!!!!
Quote:
Sophia was taken off the ventilator today (from surgery) and is doing great!! This means I can hold her again. (been 6 days

After a lot of guilty and disappointed tears I realized that having to give a bottle of formula to her is a small price to pay to have her home and in my arms!!! Plus, Im still pumping a third of her feeds and thats something.

: Yay on being so strong Sophia and Lindsay! Thanks for the picture and explaning it...I can't imagine how you've gotten through this, you are truly inspiring and Sophia is just so beautiful! I can't wait for you to have her home. So glad you get to hold her again!!! That must be such joy for you!! I'm glad your working through the guilt on formula, you are so right that having her home will be the best thing...you've done such a great job giving her all you could and even finding other BM to help too! AMazing!!! I LOVE hearing updates...keep em comin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
Here's to hoping things are fixing well!!! Have you tried hyland's teething tablets for teething, it's homeopathic, they disolve immediatly under the tounge...we used them for DD1 and they worked wonderfly. I hated using tylenol so only saved it for major need, and the orajel just washed right out. Find what works for you...

Quote:

Some moms don't even try BF so kudos to you for doing it for a month!!!
WE've been using sposies at night...how do you stuff the BG3? How often do you change at night?

Now I have a question... I havn't used gripe water much lately. When LO is really fussy/gassy and nothing seems to help I'll give her just a little and she usually ends up spitting up a ton, even out of her nose sometimes, a few min after but then is calmer. I'm guessing her tummy hurts and throwing up helps...but is this bad for her? It's happend probably a handful of times. She usually nurses about a half hour later.

Kate: Thanks so much for the stirrup idea on the mei-tai...Lo likes this much better, there isn't pressure on her legs/feet.
#79 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

My grandma is not doing well at all...I"m waiting for my mom to call and see if she's any better today. If not then they are stopping everything and just letting her go. She is severly dehydrated among other things and won't take her meds and they have a hard time getting an IV to stay in or in even at all. DD1 may have a hard time with this, she really loves her Great Grandma. But I've also been really open talking to her about death, so we'll see if that helped.
#80 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Some moms don't even try BF so kudos to you for doing it for a month!!!
WE've been using sposies at night...how do you stuff the BG3? How often do you change at night?
one month >50% BM
second month <50% BM
then the other day i gave up

preemie prefold in the pocket. last night he slept long b/c he wasn't so wet (speculation)... changed into bg at 12am after feeding then a pf at 5am after he woke to eat. usually zack wakes cuz wet, then wants to eat -- anywhere from 2-4am. bg kept him so dry. tempting to use them all day, but i dont wanna buy them and i like the prefolds. he has a rash in front on top from prefold wetness that i'm battling, and i change him constantly. :-/ so, bg at night is nice for that.

#81 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Lindsay, thanks for sharing the photos and the update for Sophia. She looks lovely and strong! Your attitude through all of her hospitalization reminds me of birthing from within- when they talk about using technology wisely and finding ways to "make friends" with intervention when needed. You rock, mama!

Nancy, way to go with pumping as long as you did. I pumped at work with Neela for a while, and I *hated* it. I can't imagine pumping several times a day!

Yesterday was a toothy day for us. I had a wisdom tooth pulled, and NORA HAS HER FIRST TOOTH POKING THROUGH! No wonder she's been so grouchy the last couple of weeks. I always said that teething gets easier the older the baby/child is, and I'm sticking with that assessment. Distraction doesn't work as well for a two month old teething. Not to mention that she hasn't quite figured out comfort nursing yet, so we've had a couple of mini-nursing strikes that I'm sure are related to teething pain.

bodhitree, good luck with River's ultrasound

Shine, I don't know about the puking, but it seems pretty harmless :

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#82 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Murph,

Apply for unemployment asap. We can do it online here and its not a big deal. There is a waiting period after you apply before you get it, and usually a delay in getting the check as well. The caps on how much you get are determined state by state, and they are not reduced b/c of other household income (won't hurt if you get a job). They are base on how much your DH was making, and chances are you will hit the cap. There is also an extra federal stimulus payment being added right now. And yes, if he works for pay (on the books, or off the books and he reports it) then it will be deducted from his unemployment check. If he does freelance work maybe he can make it so its all on the books in one week (so he only loses one week of unemployment).

Make sure he always says that he was available to work every day, and always to check off the box that he was "looking for work". I interpret that very loosely- I mean, you are ALWAYS looking for work when unemployed, right? Reading want ads, networking with former colleagues, etc, it all counts as far as I am concerned.

There is a federal program to help pay for COBRA benefits for people on unemployment, part of the stimulus bill. He should as the HR folks at his job about it or poke around and get the info on that. It reduced my DHs from almost $200/month to $68 or something like that.

Good luck with this. What a drag. The unemployment payments make it a lot less scary to be looking for work, at least you have something to live on.

As for us... DS has been sick about a week now. Today he is finally doing much better- no diarrhea, no sleeping on the couch in a stupor all day. And he asked for "some, um, real food" at breakfast-- not that he really ate all that much (well, a whole egg which is the most protein he's had in him since last thursday). Even being hungry a little bit seems like such a big improvement. And he's been pretty busy all morning. After nap he wants to walk to the bookstore to get a new book of mazes (he seems to have done all the ones around here). We'll see if he's really up for that, its about a half a mile each way and this is a kid who has spent about 15-20 hours a day lying down for the past 6 days. I feel kind of queasy all day myself but nothing too dramatic.

I'm SO BORED of being stuck at home, and I feel like the house is a disaster zone but have to force myself to pick up. I really don't enjoy housework or being housebound, that is for sure.

#83 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Kate: Thanks so much for the stirrup idea on the mei-tai...Lo likes this much better, there isn't pressure on her legs/feet.
:glad it worked for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Yesterday was a toothy day for us. I had a wisdom tooth pulled, and NORA HAS HER FIRST TOOTH POKING THROUGH! No wonder she's been so grouchy the last couple of weeks. I always said that teething gets easier the older the baby/child is, and I'm sticking with that assessment. Distraction doesn't work as well for a two month old teething. Not to mention that she hasn't quite figured out comfort nursing yet, so we've had a couple of mini-nursing strikes that I'm sure are related to teething pain.
yikes! not looking forward to that!

shine, . keep us posted on your gma

bodhitree, would love to hear the results from river's u/s. GL!

#84 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM

Lindsey, try not to worry about bottles. My ODS was in the NICU and b/c my milk hadn't come in, we had to bottle feed in order for him to be discharged. Of course, my milk came in the day he came home but he got formula for awhile (first by feeding tube then the bottle). She looks so beautiful in that picture. :

Nancy, I know how you feel. ODS went on nursing strike at 11 months and 3 weeks later, my milk was dry. He still barely ate solids, so I neded u[p formula feeding him until he was 18 months. I beat myself up alot about not trying hard enough to get him back to the breast and not pumping often enough, but it as what it was. That nursing strike led to this pregnancy and the birth of Ben, so I guess it was all meant to happen in the long run.

Shine, I am sorry about your grandmother.

Murph, I have been fortunate enough to not have to worry about unemployment. I am so sad you are in this situation.

Emma, I hate housework too. Thankfully, we can afford someone to clean every other week. As far as keeping it picked up, I only do that once a day and DH often does it for me.

Mel, can you do frozen washclothes for the teething?

Kate, your DH will get it with time. ODS was always an angel for DH, but over time, DH saw how much needier ODS was with me, and he began to understand. In the meantime, I am sorry.

AFWife, I am glad you won't have to move far. One thing that stinks is we are always far from family.

Me, LO caught the 22 mo's cold. He is mostly congested and just a little grumpy. We went to a playdate this afternoon with ODS's playgroup. A friend helped me from the car to the house. Then ODS, who has always been shy, freaked out. He used to cry if anyone even looked at him, but when we moved to Alabama 11 months ago, I made a huge effort to take him to activities 3-5 days a week and he got so much better. With YDS's arrival, we just aren't out much, so he has regressed in confidence. He did the same thing several weeks ago when I tried a storytime. In any case, with wearing YDS, I cannot hold ODS close enough for him to calm down. So, I handed YDS to a friend and cuddled ODS for 20 minutes....until YDS started crying for food. Then the 3 of us went into a recliner. ODS never sits next to me while I nurse, so he kept yanking on YDS causing him to pop off and scream and for me to be trying to re-position everyone with my nipple hanging out. Finally, ODS ventured off the chair and played for long enough for me to get YDS to sleep in a mei tai and chat with my friends for a few minutes.

I guess this means most outings are not possible for me for awhile unless I can get ODS off his babywearing strike so I can wear him and put YDS in the stroller. I can always put YDS in the carrier once we arrive and ODS is comfortable.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#85 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
have you tried the highland's teething tablets? everyone i know swears by them and says they work better than tylenol.
Okay, now at least three separate people (lady at the u/s place, you, and Shine) have recommended these to me, just since this morning. Guess I'll give them a try!

Quote:
DH and I got in a doozy. He said he doesn't understand what I do all day. I ran to the store when he got home from work and left him with dd (who was happy and recently fed) and he was able to send the two e-mails I didn't get to all day, so he surmised that i'm just goofing off all day. Anyway, we worked through it, but I know he doesn't get it .
: That is so annoying. I wish I could think of a good way for you to pound some sense into that man.

Quote:
My grandma is not doing well at all...I"m waiting for my mom to call and see if she's any better today. If not then they are stopping everything and just letting her go. She is severly dehydrated among other things and won't take her meds and they have a hard time getting an IV to stay in or in even at all. DD1 may have a hard time with this, she really loves her Great Grandma. But I've also been really open talking to her about death, so we'll see if that helped.
So sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
River's two bottom ones look like they will be poking through any day now. We had a mini nursing strike last week due to teething pain. The only way I could get her to nurse finally was to feed her some EBM in a medicine dropper. Then she got a look of recognition on her face, like, "Oh, yeah, I remember that and it's good!" Then finally she would nurse. I've been thinking that teething must be worse with younger babies, because a lot of the things you would do to comfort them, they aren't really old enough for yet. Like it's harder to use a teething ring or a cold washcloth, because she can't hold them in her own mouth yet.

This morning, the ultrasound on her hips was rough because she screamed through the whole thing. Her tolerance level is really low, I'm assuming because of the teething pain and because she had to get up a couple hours earlier than usual to make it to her appt. But...I got a call from her ortho's office, and her hips are looking great! No more harness! ::: Ever since I took it off her, she's been thrashing her arms and legs around, just enjoying being able to move her legs freely.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#86 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM

Kristen, that is awesome news that River is done with the harness!!!!!!! : I am sorry you are having teething issues as well. I hope all the babies getting teeth get them quickly and feel better soon. ODS didn't teeth young, but he got his teeth in large sets and had 16 teeth by 14 months old, and I remember how bad it would be.

#87 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words, people.
In time, I'll be fine -- I just hate when something beats me.
And, more specifically, when I let it beat me.

So, Mr. Mouth was fussing a couple of hours ago.
Food wasn't really working, crib wasn't really working, holding him -- not helping.
So I swaddled his ass. It's the biggest swaddle on record.
We fell asleep together on the recliner (the feeding station) after about three ounces.
I felt him wriggling every so often, but no complaints.
I woke up and stuck him in the crib like that.
He's still there, for now.

Hysterical. I've never seen such a large swaddle before.
It's more like a cocoon.
Eight weeks today. I should take a picture of it.

>> here it is

#88 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Lindsay, thanks for the update and picture. I know we are all thinking about Sophia and eager to hear how she is doing.

Racie, I hate housework so much that I am back on here rather than do it... DS is sleeping, baby is happily cooing to herself on the rug... ugh. I may even hire someone next fall to clean for me when I am teaching again- if DH is working- his job situation has been so tenuous lately. But its something I will not hesitate to pay for when we have more money, I think it would really help our marriage not to be so frustrated about the mess all the time.

bodhitree, that is great that River can get out of the harness already- that was quick! our friends' son was in it for 6 months (and he's totally normal now).

Kate, we have that same stupid fight here on a regular basis. I often think my DH just doesn't understand how hard it is to be the primary caregiver. Its like he sort of understands, but still thinks I am lazy for getting "nothing" done when I am with them (though I think I do a lot!).

Speaking of which, I'm out for today, I really do have a LOT of housework to do, yuck. Tomorrow AM I plan to drop DS off w/ a friend and do some of my own work at a coffee shop w/ baby in the wrap... or at least I will try it... my first time, so, I'm hoping it goes well.

#89 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Ben just rolled from belly to back twice. I was too busy coaching him to get it on video, and he was so proud of himself he had a huge smile.

#90 of 124 Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Ben just rolled from belly to back twice. I was too busy coaching him to get it on video, and he was so proud of himself he had a huge smile.
Awesome! Zack loves to "win," too. YAAAY!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page