PPCHAT Monday 6/15- sunday 6/21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
STarting a new week! I can't believe LO is 7 weeks today!
#2 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

ha...OMG My baby will be 11 weeks old on Wednesday. I might cry. Except the doctor told me we probably wouldn't even be talking about the reflux after 3 months...so I am kind of looking forward to that...and yet, I don't want her to be so big!

We had a very LOOOOONG weekend. She was fussy and gasy most of the weekend. I pray today is better as I am exhausted. She has slept well this morning...but she should since she hardly slept except at night all weekend. Anyone else have a LO that sleeps well at night 4-6 hours in 2 stretches, but tries to stay awake most of the day and wears themselves out?? She can be almost asleep, little eyes closed, and then all of the sudden she realizes she's almost asleep and jerks and opens her eyes as wide as she can get them...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#3 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

congrats, shine! it goes so fast!

We are getting shots today...we may be going to portland to see my bro and sil and the cousins afterwards....depending on how she feels.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Lindsay: I"m sooo glad things are going well.::: I have prayed for you both many many times throughout the day and check the computer right when we get home to see updates. I"m glad you got to spend a little time with her but also glad you know your limits and have been able to put your trust into those nurses and docs, that's what they are for. Keep taking care of yourself...can't wait to here she's ready to go home!

Bodhitree: Thanks for the swaddle/hip info. LO's bottom is free to move so not going to worry about it...swaddling her arms has totatlly helped our sleep! Lo slept last night from 9-4 then again till now.

DawnCayden: Happy 10 a little late!

Murph: I'm so sorry about DH job. That is just ridiculious! It's scary to think that hard work doesn't keep you your job.

Well DH and I DTD Sat night. It was all on my terms, I was so surprised I actaually wanted to. It was actually good and didn't hurt and I had no bleeding. Dh of course was thrilled! Ask for it again last night, I don't think so! I got a bit emotinoal afterward. I finally realized why I was holding out. It was the last thing that connected me to the pregnancy/birth. It was the last thing that I could hold onto that didn't make my body go back to being normal. I know we are most likly done having children, but I made DH promise not to say we are done. I just can't hear it right now. That stage in my life just can't be over at least in my mind.

Went to an outdoor concernt last night. It's so hard when you have a newborn as in heat and sun! I couldn't have her in the wrap as she still gets heat rash when I wear it outdoors (what I thought was baby acne...so thanks for that heat rash thread!). Though the wombfruit wrap really is sooooo much cooler than the moby and easier to put on. I think I'm going to sell my moby. And then keeping her out of the sun, so I just used my uddercover nursing wrap to hold over her the entire time. No shade available. But it wasn't too bad, really cool breeze when the sun went under.
#5 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
ha...OMG My baby will be 11 weeks old on Wednesday. I might cry. Except the doctor told me we probably wouldn't even be talking about the reflux after 3 months...so I am kind of looking forward to that...and yet, I don't want her to be so big!

We had a very LOOOOONG weekend. She was fussy and gasy most of the weekend. I pray today is better as I am exhausted. She has slept well this morning...but she should since she hardly slept except at night all weekend. Anyone else have a LO that sleeps well at night 4-6 hours in 2 stretches, but tries to stay awake most of the day and wears themselves out?? She can be almost asleep, little eyes closed, and then all of the sudden she realizes she's almost asleep and jerks and opens her eyes as wide as she can get them...
My LO still sleeps a ton during the day, but we are some weeks behind you. Sorry for the rough weekend...hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
congrats, shine! it goes so fast!

We are getting shots today...we may be going to portland to see my bro and sil and the cousins afterwards....depending on how she feels.
Keeping you in prayers today with the shots. I'm still on the fence about shots....

Emma: I think I remember your DS being sick inthe last thread, have you tried peppermint oil on his feet to help his tummy? It really helps DD1 and even me when I have a tummy ache.
#6 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Julian is 7 weeks old as well. Yesterday was the first day where he stayed up for hours. He usually only has 2-3 short awake periods a day still. We finally managed to DTD the other night as well, I was quite surprised that it didn't hurt even one little bit. My biggest baby by two lbs and nothing.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Lindsay, glad to hear things are going well.

Murph, sorry that your husband lost his job. I understand how frustrating it must be after putting in so much more than everyone else.

DawnCayden, what a nice little video. Congrats on the 10th anniversary.

Shine and Peony, was it really 7 weeks ago that your babies were born? Incredible how time flies.

Goodmomma, sorry to hear about your weekend.

I had to buy a new pump on Friday. The old one which I'd bought off craigslist in March was too worn out to cut it. What a waste of money.

Saturday we spent with a friend who had a baby two weeks ago. I never thought it would be possible to lounge around all day with kids, but we did, except for a short excursion to Portland to take a walk. Came home late at night and everyone was exhausted.

Most surprising aspect of the trip: I noticed how huge DS is compared to other babies. The actual difference between him and my friend's son is 4 1/2 weeks, but it looks like DS is twice the size (photo).

Yesterday, DS slept for most of the day. I think he may be growing again. Of course, as a result he woke up at 1.30 and spent the rest of the night eating and dozing. DH came in at 8 and took him for a few hours so that I could get some sleep too. Need to be more concerned about changing DS's internal clock. No more sleepy days.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#8 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

This describes my LO exactly. He is 10 weeks today and has been like this since 3 weeks old. There has been days he has napped for a total of 20 minutes in a 12 hour stretch. I am sorry your doctor won't consider reflux. We have had a significant decrease in screaming since starting Zantac. It hasn't helped the daytime sleep much however.

We had an awesome weekend here. When DH is home, everything runs so much smoother. The week is off to a rough start though. Dh is working 14+ hours today so I am on my own until at least 9pm. LO has only taken 2 30 minute naps so far and is already getting worn out. I have no clue how I'll get my 22 month old and 10 week old to bed by myself. They both require about 60 minute bedtime routines, and DH and I each usually take a baby (him with the 22 month old and me with the 10 week old). I am terrifed for tonight.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#9 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

A quick hello... we decided to take a quick trip over to our hometown on Vancouver Island to visit my MIL and go to the beach this weekend. We're headed back home later today. As always when I'm here I have a yearning to move back and can't resist the temptation to check out real estate listings- so much more affordable than in the city!

My older daughter and husband "camped" in the back yard so Nora and I had the bed to ourselves. And my MIL cooked meals and did lots of playing with Neela, so I've had a pretty relaxed weekend. Nora hasn't slept too well, but I've been napping (which I rarely get the chance to do at home). And last night after Neela's bedtime we left the baby for an hour to cuddle with grandma while we went for a drive to different beaches and to enjoy the sunset and a little romance I feel like a teenager...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#10 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Look at how fast all our babies are growing!

Sophia is doing REALLY well! She had a couple hard days and had to be re-intubated but now she is really stable! Her blood pressure was sky high, but its back down and her kidneys are back to normal. She is being moved back to the nicu today and in a few days when shes off the ventilator she can start eating by mouth!!! Ive been pumping like a madwoman since friday so she has several days of BM to start on.

She got her "smell" back today and I started crying. I could smell her from 5 feet away so I just put my head in her crib and inhaled and inhaled. sigh...

I cant wait to update you guys with more good news. Fridays surgery really marked the "beginning of the end". Now we just wait another week or 2 for her to come home! (barring any unforeseen problems)

wife. dd1 : dd2
#11 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Excellent news, Lindsay, and you have amazing patience.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#12 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I am terrifed for tonight.
Will say a prayer for you tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post
Shine and Peony, was it really 7 weeks ago that your babies were born? Incredible how time flies.
I had to buy a new pump on Friday. The old one which I'd bought off craigslist in March was too worn out to cut it. What a waste of money.
The birth seems so far away now Bummer on the pump, you just never know sometimes. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post

Sophia is doing REALLY well! She had a couple hard days and had to be re-intubated but now she is really stable! Her blood pressure was sky high, but its back down and her kidneys are back to normal. She is being moved back to the nicu today and in a few days when shes off the ventilator she can start eating by mouth!!! Ive been pumping like a madwoman since friday so she has several days of BM to start on.

She got her "smell" back today and I started crying. I could smell her from 5 feet away so I just put my head in her crib and inhaled and inhaled. sigh...

I cant wait to update you guys with more good news. Fridays surgery really marked the "beginning of the end". Now we just wait another week or 2 for her to come home! (barring any unforeseen problems)
Oh LIndsay I'm so glad to hear such GREAT news!:: And that babysmell, one of the reasons I don't put LO down for naps cause I get to sit here and smell her sweet head. ""The beginning of the end"...that's so Wonderful! Sophia keep it up baby...your almost home!!!!!

Got the mei tai....gotta say I didn't like it at first, took me a few tries to really get it (and people say wraps are hard) I think LO is having a growth spurt, only happy when sleeping or nursing. So she didn't care for trying the new mei tai at first but then finally fell asleep in it. It is so much cooler than a wrap and lets the air circulate so it helps her heat rash. Nursing is also way easier! But I do like the more security of the wrap and the fact it doesn't pull my shoulders/back forward like the mei tai seems to. Wish I could make something inbetween...Boy I'm never happy am I. Think I"ll love the mei tai with an older baby though for a toddler I might have to get an ergo again for my backs sake.
#13 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Well DH and I DTD Sat night. It was all on my terms, I was so surprised I actaually wanted to. It was actually good and didn't hurt and I had no bleeding. Dh of course was thrilled! Ask for it again last night, I don't think so! I got a bit emotinoal afterward. I finally realized why I was holding out. It was the last thing that connected me to the pregnancy/birth. It was the last thing that I could hold onto that didn't make my body go back to being normal.
that is so interesting, and I think I know what you mean. We've DTD a few times and it was hard for me to let go and BE ready and this is such an interested perspective on part of why that might be.

my poor little sick 4yo is doing much better. He actually ate today. He's asleep on the couch right now but was actually up all morning without drifting in and out of being awake. We took my aunt to the airport and then went to Trader Joes and he was fine- he hadn't left the house in 3 days prior. He also lost 3 lbs in 3 days. Peppermint oil- I haven't tried that and I don't have any. We are growing peppermint though so maybe I'll make him a tea with that later today and see if he likes it. I'd love to get him eating more calorie-dense foods to stop this weight loss, but he can't handle that much yet. I am going to try to keep him going with frequent small meals and just figure at this point anything he is eating is an improvement over nothing, even if its not a particularly balanced diet.

Phoebe has been fussier than usual and seems more sleepy and clingy, but I don't think she's really sick. What a relief. Breastmilk is so amazing- its been able to protect her through TWO bouts with gastric illness that her brother has had. She is 7 weeks old tomorrow and already so different- so much bigger, so smiley and alert when she is awake, so good at nursing, and she's started grabbing our hair and hugging us back, which is so sweet. Its true that time is flying!

Last MW appt tomorrow, we are all sort of sad! We love our midwives and feel so close to them after sharing the pregnancy and then the amazing birth. I also do not expect to have more children but I am also not ready to definitely decide that.

dissertating mom to three

#14 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM

ugh and Murph, I feel your pain. I am so sorry. My DH was laid off 3 weeks before the due date of our baby, after he busted his butt for them, worked on Christmas eve and New Years Eve, did all this extra work when they had been contracted by Disney. Luckily DH got another job a few weeks later but still.

I guess that some people really do not value their employees as human beings, and do not actually feel any responsibility towards them. Its horrible.

dissertating mom to three

#15 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
This describes my LO exactly. He is 10 weeks today and has been like this since 3 weeks old. There has been days he has napped for a total of 20 minutes in a 12 hour stretch. I am sorry your doctor won't consider reflux. We have had a significant decrease in screaming since starting Zantac. It hasn't helped the daytime sleep much however.

We had an awesome weekend here. When DH is home, everything runs so much smoother. The week is off to a rough start though. Dh is working 14+ hours today so I am on my own until at least 9pm. LO has only taken 2 30 minute naps so far and is already getting worn out. I have no clue how I'll get my 22 month old and 10 week old to bed by myself. They both require about 60 minute bedtime routines, and DH and I each usually take a baby (him with the 22 month old and me with the 10 week old). I am terrifed for tonight.
thanks, we have zantac...how much is your lo dose? hers is .4 ml twice daily, and she is about 8 pounds....i read somewhere about your lo dose being increased and wondered if I should call the doc. the screaming is better most days, like today, i haven't had 2 days in a row like that for a while....

hmmm, 2 different bedtimes maybe? or wear the baby while you do the ods bedtime, then the lo? does your lo go down and sleep where you could do lo first, since he's already tired, then ods??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post

WOO HOO I am so happy she's doing well!!!! GO SOPHIA!

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#16 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Way to go Sophia!! :

I know what you guys are talking about with size difference in babies. DS is HUGE now compared to my girls. I have 3-6m old outfits that he has outgrown already, DD2 lived in that size for months! People often ask if he is 2-3 months old, yeah, not yet.

With the two children going to bed, I just lay there nurse the baby and put the older one to bed. I have to lay there to get DD2 and sometimes DD1 to go to sleep. It gets tricker with 3 DC though, no idea what I'm going to do when DH leaves next week for a rafting trip.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Awesome news about Sophia. Lindsay, your noticing her smell just melted my heart.

Goodmama, my LO is almost 12 pounds. He was started on 1 ml at 11.5 pounds, but when the Ped heard he still isn't sleeping and still cries when he spits up, she upped it to 1.5 ml.

I think I'll have to try different times for bed, which is what I do at naptime.

My 22 mo is still so much a baby. I have tried to wear LO while I put him to bed, but he crashes into me, smooshing LO, and making him cry. My 22 mo needs to be held for storytime and eventually lifted into his crib, so it is hard to wear LO and nursing him isn't safe.....my toddler will yank on his feet etc and he gets more clumsy when tired.

Naptime was an utter disaster so I am dreading bedtime.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#18 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Got the mei tai....gotta say I didn't like it at first, took me a few tries to really get it (and people say wraps are hard) I think LO is having a growth spurt, only happy when sleeping or nursing. So she didn't care for trying the new mei tai at first but then finally fell asleep in it. It is so much cooler than a wrap and lets the air circulate so it helps her heat rash. Nursing is also way easier! But I do like the more security of the wrap and the fact it doesn't pull my shoulders/back forward like the mei tai seems to. Wish I could make something inbetween...Boy I'm never happy am I. Think I"ll love the mei tai with an older baby though for a toddler I might have to get an ergo again for my backs sake.
I found that the mei tai worked really well starting when dd1 was 13 or 14 months old. You can adjust it to make it easy on your back. Tried it with dd2 (now 10 weeks and a bit) and decided I needed to check out online instructions. Moby much better.

nak

Mom of two girls.
#19 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I am terrifed for tonight.

wife. dd1 : dd2
#20 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claras_mom View Post
I found that the mei tai worked really well starting when dd1 was 13 or 14 months old. You can adjust it to make it easy on your back. Tried it with dd2 (now 10 weeks and a bit) and decided I needed to check out online instructions. Moby much better.

nak
Well now I"m lovin the mei tai!!!! I just didn't know how to use it! LO was asleep on my chest on the sofa and I needed to cook dinner...not wanting to wake her by laying her down I thought I'll try the mei tai. So I looked up the instructions on the Kozy site and gave it a try. I needed to fold it down for an infant before putting on and I was able to do everything without barley even moving LO...she slept for an hour while I made supper and I got the straps to work so it didn't hurt my shoulders/back, didn't have them crossing far enough down! I didn't worry about LO breathing or her getting too hot as I do in the wraps...she was able to rest against my chest or lean a bit back with the headrest... Might become my favorite!
#21 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM

geesh , i hardly have time to post on here any more. we are doing well. today i went "back to work"... nannying for a 4 month old boy in my home. it went well. much harder taking care of two babies than just one! my hat goes off to all the mamas of multiples in the world. it also made me realize how lucky i got with gwyn, who hardly ever fusses. older dd was a huge help with the babies, too, and i was pleasantly suprised that we had time to fit in a little home schooling even.

everything else seems to be going great. this little one only takes one nap per day, usually in the AM. she is so mellow though it doesn't matter. she sleeps well at night but i have some crazy insomnia thing going on so im always drop dead tired. hopefully that will pass. nursing is more than i ever imagined it could be. im so glad i didnt give up.

oh, and the "are you done having kids yet?" comments have started coming in. i told my dad today we wanted at least four more (kidding), and then just left him to wonder whether i was joking or not. serves him right!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#22 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Well now I"m lovin the mei tai!!!! I just didn't know how to use it! LO was asleep on my chest on the sofa and I needed to cook dinner...not wanting to wake her by laying her down I thought I'll try the mei tai. So I looked up the instructions on the Kozy site and gave it a try. I needed to fold it down for an infant before putting on and I was able to do everything without barley even moving LO...she slept for an hour while I made supper and I got the straps to work so it didn't hurt my shoulders/back, didn't have them crossing far enough down! I didn't worry about LO breathing or her getting too hot as I do in the wraps...she was able to rest against my chest or lean a bit back with the headrest... Might become my favorite!
OK, I definitely need to check instructions.

Mom of two girls.
#23 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Parker is EXACTLY like this with his sleep habits. He only naps about 15-30 minutes frequently... and will often wake up after 5 minutes. He fights sleep for sure, we noticed that when he was only a few days old.
He sleeps really well at night... 2 long stretches... so I try not to mess with that. Whatever he sleeps during the day, is what it is. lol

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#24 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

This sounds just like my LO.. he fights sleep during the day big time!

I always forget when the thread changes for the new week!!!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#25 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 AM

Lindsay, so happy for you and sophia::

to everyone having a rough time.

shine, I found the best way to do the mei tai with eden is to have her feet just poking out the sides...almost like stirrups....it makes her butt nice and low, but doesn't put a lot of strain on her hips b/c she's really too small to have her legs hanging out. It also helps to tie the waist at your natural waist...when it's too low it puts a lot of strain on the back.

Well, Eden had 4 immunizations today...3 shots and the oral rotateq....the actual shots weren't that bad, but i can tell she feels bad. She's been spitting up a lot and has had 2 giant poopy blowouts today. We went to pdx to see my nephews and the first poop blowout leaked onto my pants....joy. Still, I'm hating all this stuff that's being pumped into her pretty pure little body . I mean, she'snever had really anything in her mouth other than breastmilk and now she's had all these vaccines and tylenol to boot. She hated the tylenol. blech.

But it was good to see the cousins!:

#26 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh Lindsay such great news!!!!!!!! I am so happy to hear about sweet Sophia!!!!

Kate - how did the shots go? to baby Eden. We go on Thursday .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#27 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Oh Lindsay such great news!!!!!!!! I am so happy to hear about sweet Sophia!!!!

Kate - how did the shots go? to baby Eden. We go on Thursday .
they were okay, they were quick and easily fixed with a little 'nursey'...it's the after-effects that are rough .

#28 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
ugh and Murph, I feel your pain. I am so sorry. My DH was laid off 3 weeks before the due date of our baby, after he busted his butt for them, worked on Christmas eve and New Years Eve, did all this extra work when they had been contracted by Disney. Luckily DH got another job a few weeks later but still.

I guess that some people really do not value their employees as human beings, and do not actually feel any responsibility towards them. Its horrible.
Yes, I just keep crying asking how can someone be so cruel to do the to another human being. Oh and just more of a slap in dh's face, the old boss told him as he was letting him go, that'd he'd love to contact him to do some freelance stuff for his new business...

It so frustrating to see people like that and who treat others like less than human, succeed in the world.

After such hard work, to be rewarded by sending the person to unenployment. Especially in today's economy...i'm just in awe the feelings and compassion some people lack

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#29 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
they were okay, they were quick and easily fixed with a little 'nursey'...it's the after-effects that are rough .
I actually skipped the tylenol this time around. It made for a fussy evening, particularly when one of the injection sites got a little inflamed, but it was one less thing in her system.

Mom of two girls.
#30 of 124 Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 AM

i might think about skipping the tylenol...she really hated it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page