Doctors Campaign for MI_Dawn and Mischievium - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MI_Dawn started this campaign on her blog where she asked that those who have experienced this type of loss write a letter to the Doctors. Even though I have not experienced this I was moved to write on behalf of MI_Dawn and Mischievium. The more letters we swarm them with the better chances of being heard. If you feel lead please send a letter....here is their site to do so online. I asked Dawn if I could post this here and she sends her blessing. You can read MI_Dawn's letter, which has great factual information along with her personal story, on her blog. Below is my letter. Thanks for considering!!!

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/ask_our_doctors

Quote:
Doctors:

I have been fortunate, I have not experienced stillbirth or miscarriage. I have given birth to two healthy girls; the last one is 7weeks today. My reason for asking you to do a show on stillbirth awareness or S.A.D.S: Sudden Antenatal Death Syndrome is that I feel such extreme empathy for two friends I've never even met who are suffering the stillbirths of their sons just this last April. These moms and I met in cyberspace on a due date club forum. We followed each other from the first moments of our pregnancies to now. While sharing the joys and hardships of pregnancy, NEVER did we think this would happen to any of us. I was 3 weeks to my due date when I read about these two mamas loosing their babies to stillbirth. I was emotionally devastated for them and scared for me. I didn't even have a thought that stillbirths happened. My thinking was once I'm through that 1st trimester the possibility of anything happening was pretty low and then being 3 weeks to delivery the only thing that could happen is complications during delivery. And of course with the 3 healthy ultrasounds and no other issues, I thought I was smooth sailing. These other mamas probably thought the same. Sure I'd pay attention to movement and panic a bit when I hadn't noticed it, but it was never actually "counting kicks". It was never regular or charted. To know how to do this and to start at 28 weeks is SO important along with other awareness factors. Some stillbirths are not preventable but there may be some that are just by being aware and counting. “You do better when you know better”...all mamas need to be aware that stillbirths do happen and there are some ways to decrease the risks! My little one is 7 weeks today and as I look at her in my arms I am filled with a mix of joy and sadness; Joy that I have my child with me and sadness that my friends don't have theirs. I cry daily as I read about their grief; my heart breaks for their empty arms and the hole in their hearts. Please, PLEASE make this a priority! SIDS has had a great campaign. Even though SIDS deaths still occur, everyone knows about the risks and the best way for prevention. Why was I not aware of regular counting kicks or of the possibility of a STILLBIRTH when the risk of stillbirth is TEN TIMES that of the risk of SIDS death? Why did I never consider this could happen and really pay attention to those movements especially in the last few weeks? Please get the word out there and give some mamas and babies a chance to not have to go through the unimaginable pain my two friends are going through. Though this show won't bring their sons back, they deserve to be heard, to know that they are not alone and to get the awareness out for the future of other mamas and their babies.
#2 of 3 Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Thank you :

My letter is on my blog, if anyone wants to read it.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#3 of 3 Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
Thank you :

My letter is on my blog, if anyone wants to read it.
That is a very well written letter Dawn. There should be a "Kick Counts" solgan for S.A.D.S just as there is a "Back to sleep" slogan for S.I.D.S..

Thank you Shine for addressing this on our DDC. I really like your letter.

This should also go into the Activism forum too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page