chat for Monday/22nd through Sunday/28th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just realized it was a new week! Be back in a minute with my post.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#2 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already. He will be 2 months old on the 25th, I am surprised that he wasn't ill before this. My middle child has respiratory issues and is a magnet for every germ out there, she is usually sick every other week but was having a good spell for a while.



Yesterday I discovered that he likes to nap in the bassinet (that has never been used until then!) in one of darkened bedrooms downstairs. We have blackout blinds in the rooms, if I put the bassinet anywhere else then he instantly wakes up. Course now that he is going to be sick, I'm sure that I won't be putting him down this week.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#3 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already.
Sorry for the sickies! Hope everyone gets better soon. That's great on figuring out the dark bassinet sleepy...I always think "why didn't I try that before?" Thanks for starting the thread!

Kate: We have 2 kiddootamus but can only find one and I can't even find that one right now...though havn't looked really hard. Better look for them! I think you should invent one of those wings with bloomers, I'd buy it! Havn't used those dipes but they sound neat.

For those who pump...I just pumped my first 5 oz! I want some in the freezer for just incase somethin happens to me, hospitalization, or death (crazy I know but I'm wierd like that) then she can have as much as I have and go gradually to formula. Also possibly to use to mix baby food with later. Anyway how important is it to buy the actual EBM storage bags? I pumped into a bottle with a drop in liner, can I just twist tie the liner and seal it in a plastic bag and put in freezer? How long can EBM be stored? Any other info I need to know. Oh and I feel sooo good having my breasts fully emptied, I'm not sure LO ever fully empties them.....

So havn't used the wrap in a long time, just got it out again and Lo is asleep, I forgot how much I do like having her snug against me sometimes...I think it's a tie between mei tai and the wrap... glad I have both!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#4 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
 
emmaegbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
.I think it's a tie between mei tai and the wrap... glad I have both!
I like the (unintended?) pun here.

I need to sew up a mei tai. Its something I want to do when I get back from a trip next weekend. I want to sew them up for a couple of other friends as baby gifts too, so I hope I can get that going.

Thursday is my birthday, something I don't care all that much about but what I asked for is to get my family support to do work this weekend, so... we are doing something CRAZY and driving all the way up to the bay area so I can go to a workshop over the weekend- I plan to attend w/ baby in the wrap . DS and DH will roam around and have some adventures together, I think we can all stay together at the retreat site, but if not we can stay at my cousin's apartment- unfortunately she'll be out of town. Those two really need some dad-boy time, they have been arguing so much lately its driving me crazy and making me think seriously about looking for a counselor (for me and DH, to deal with handling stress and anger... he unfortunately comes from a family where his dad has incredible anger issues and the two of them fought tooth and nail all his childhood, it is devastating to think of him repeating this with his own son just b/c he can't get out of the emotional patterns, I need to find someone AP-oriented though.).

I am so annoyed- DH did exactly NO housework yesterday (supposedly we clean the house together on the weekends). My to-do list is so long and boring. I've been at it for over 3 hours already and I'm nowhere near finished (washed and hung out sheets and diapers, made breakfast and cleaned it up, tidied and vacuumed the living room. sigh). Luckily baby sleeps in the wrap all morning.

Kate- you've got to figure out the ring sling and the moby! Is there a babywearing playgroup or something? (we have one here though I'm too shy and too busy to ever go...) they are such lifesavers and there are tons of ways to use the ring sling- you might just find you like it better when Eden is older though. I didn't sew mine for myself until my son was 1 year old, and I used it constantly for the year from 1-2. But now I use it frequently with this baby- not as much at home (wrap is so much more comfy) but its so easy to grab it and go... so it comes out with us all the time.

Shine: I hope you get a good answer about BM. I bought a stack of those BM storage bags w. DS and I still have some around that I am using. However, right now I've been trying to leave a fresh BM bottle if I am going out for a bit (she's had 3 so far). I have started building a freezer stash. My mom was a SAHM but she said she always felt better to have a "six-pack" in the freezer, just felt like she COULD go somewhere if she needed, or yes, if something like an emergency happened there was at least a days worth of BM available. She used to freeze it in little glass jars (as long as you leave some "head space" they didn't crack in the freezer). Speaking of which- maybe I'll pump a couple ounces right now- baby has been sleeping in the wrap for 2 1/2 hours.

Happy week everyone!

dissertating mom to three

emmaegbert is offline  
#5 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM
 
goodmomma76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Around the corner, eh cornfield
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'll go to diaperswappers and look for a mei tai, thanks for the suggestion! (Even though it wasn't meant for me...lol!)

Well lo has been asleep for 2 hours, and gave me a chance to get some work done, but my house is a wreck. I couldn't do anything all weekend but walk her and bounce her. The fever is gone for now at least. BLAH.

I hate when DH does no housework. All I wish for at this point is for him to pick up after himself.

Kate, I finally got the tummy to tummy thing in the ring sling...it took several tries and my sisters help...the thing for me was to tighten the edges up as tight as possible, not just pull the whole thing tight...

BM storage-the LC gave me a magnet...It says, BM in the fridge for 3 days, in the fridge-freezer for 3-4 months, and in a deep freezer for 6-12 months. Never refreeze thawed BM, and use thawed BM within 24 hours. I don't see anything special about these BM storage baggies...the only thing I think I would watch for is freezer burn?? I don't know. They gave me some storage containers and I have used those...I keep forgetting to put it in the baggie when it's warm, and then I would have to heat it up to transfer the fat to the baggies too, since it sticks to the sides when it seperates. I hope that helps!

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
goodmomma76 is offline  
#6 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM
 
goodmomma76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Around the corner, eh cornfield
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh and shine...i feel the same way about having BM in the freezer. At least she could eat until someone thought to get formula...lol not funny, but i did think about it too...

this lo seems to only sleep soundly in 3 places, your arms (but not always) the carseat (but not always, she has to be full and changed and tired for this to even have a chance) or the recliner where we sleep at night. I just had to move her there because she was fidgety in my arms, but she's been sound asleep for over 2 hours there now, which might be a record of some sort...I keep looking for breath...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
goodmomma76 is offline  
#7 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
 
wobblykate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
For those who pump...I just pumped my first 5 oz! I want some in the freezer for just incase somethin happens to me, hospitalization, or death (crazy I know but I'm wierd like that) then she can have as much as I have and go gradually to formula. Also possibly to use to mix baby food with later. Anyway how important is it to buy the actual EBM storage bags? I pumped into a bottle with a drop in liner, can I just twist tie the liner and seal it in a plastic bag and put in freezer? How long can EBM be stored? Any other info I need to know. Oh and I feel sooo good having my breasts fully emptied, I'm not sure LO ever fully empties them.....
I think I would be leery about using other plastic bags, just because of thinking what might be in them, or worrying about them leaking. But I hate plastic, anyway. I pump into glass baby bottles and freeze in there. You could also use canning jars that have been sterilized.

emma & goodmama....I really want to figure out the ring sling. There is a group I've heard about that meets at a local herb/natural supplement shop. I'll have to stop in and see when they meet.

A stupid FLY woke the baby up from her nap today. ugh. It's one of those super annoying ones that just keeps coming back to the same spot over and over. I've been trying to kill it for a week. Luckily, she went back to sleep.

So sprry about the sick babies. I'm not looking forward to the first cold around here!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
wobblykate is offline  
#8 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
 
FischK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
BM storage-the LC gave me a magnet...It says, BM in the fridge for 3 days, in the fridge-freezer for 3-4 months, and in a deep freezer for 6-12 months. Never refreeze thawed BM, and use thawed BM within 24 hours. I don't see anything special about these BM storage baggies...the only thing I think I would watch for is freezer burn?? I don't know. They gave me some storage containers and I have used those...I keep forgetting to put it in the baggie when it's warm, and then I would have to heat it up to transfer the fat to the baggies too, since it sticks to the sides when it seperates. I hope that helps!
I got the same info on BM-storage from the public health nurse. Also, I did not buy any special bags for storing milk. I use normal freezer bags and I fold them up so that I can get as much BM as possible in my freezer. I'd love to use glass bottles instead, but buying enough bottles would be too expensive.

I'm working this afternoon, and while that is going quite well, I've been worried about DS since I got here. Of course, he's in good hands with DH, but I still had to call to make sure. I guess I need to get over my separation anxiety...

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

FischK is offline  
#9 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 PM
 
racie0417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having major problems getting the LO to nap. I think I figured out the problem--he wil NOT nap if I put him down. I've tried the carseat, bouncy seat, swing, nursing down on the bed, the pack-n-play on vibration, and the crib. He will nap in a carrier, but will only stay asleep for 5-10 minutes at a time if I talk, if ODS is awake, or if I bend or reach at all. So with a 22 month old that sometimes refuses to nap, what do I do? I have been stuck walking the house or swaying during ODS's nap and got nothing done and couldn't even eat b/c anytime I went to reach or bend for food, LO cried.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
racie0417 is offline  
#10 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
 
wobblykate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I have been having major problems getting the LO to nap. I think I figured out the problem--he wil NOT nap if I put him down. I've tried the carseat, bouncy seat, swing, nursing down on the bed, the pack-n-play on vibration, and the crib. He will nap in a carrier, but will only stay asleep for 5-10 minutes at a time if I talk, if ODS is awake, or if I bend or reach at all. So with a 22 month old that sometimes refuses to nap, what do I do? I have been stuck walking the house or swaying during ODS's nap and got nothing done and couldn't even eat b/c anytime I went to reach or bend for food, LO cried.
will your older boy wake up if the house is noisy? over the weekend i think i realized that i was being to quiet at nap time when dd and i are home alone. so today i made a ton of noise and she went right to sleep in the swing. maybe if ods is sleeping white noise would help lo and not disturb brother's nap? or music? GL!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
wobblykate is offline  
#11 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
 
claras_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an aventi pump, so I like to get the storage containers that I can pump directly into and freeze. They come 8 or 10 to a box and can be reused several times before recycling.

Haven't done much pumping yet, though I'll need to figure it out before I'm back to work in September. Right now, I'm leaning toward arranging for (and paying for) a spot in a home daycare, but taking her to work with me on days when I don't have a heavy teaching load. We'll see... I was so lucky with dd1; didn't have to put her into daycare until she was 9 months old.

Mom of two girls.
claras_mom is offline  
#12 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
 
FischK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From yesterday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I'm interested to hear how you guys are tightening lower abs. I had a CS 15 years ago, and never got them tight...but I didn't really try either, I could have worked at it, but I just dieted and didn't exercise....
I've been wondering the same thing. I read that leg lifts and pelvic tilts primarily train the lower abs, so I've been doing those. I also do crunches. Supposedly, walking works the lower abs too, if you walk briskly. Oh, and swimming uses all the muscles of the body; leg kicks would probably be most efficient, though.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

FischK is offline  
#13 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
 
emmaegbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already. He will be 2 months old on the 25th, I am surprised that he wasn't ill before this. My middle child has respiratory issues and is a magnet for every germ out there, she is usually sick every other week but was having a good spell for a while.
I am sure you know this already but breastmilk should be very protecting for Julian, so the more he nurses the better! Friday I went to hear a brief talk by a great herbalist locally on the topic of supporting our childrens' optimal health naturally, and she urged that a nursing mom should try to strengthen her own immune system when there are sicknesses going around so that the benefits will be felt by baby too. Specifically she said to greatly increase taking probiotics and eating fermented foods, to take echinacea and astralugus (she suggested cooking the latter right into soups or broths, I guess you can get it as a dried root and it is very mild-tasting), also plenty of garlic and onions. Also, just good nutrition and plenty of rest. (ha, not so easy when parenting several young kids, esp sick ones). Nothing like a "magic bullet" but the same sort of good advice we already know about I guess.

FWIW my son was extremely sick for about a week and baby and I didn't get it. He was also sick when she was 2 weeks old and she came through unscathed. Too bad I went to the talk AFTER my son was better but its good to know for next time, and I guess my immunities did their job anyway.

Also she said- and I've heard this before- to try and avoid using those bulb suction things for stuffy noses and instead to use a few drops of saline solution or breastmilk to help clear it up.

dissertating mom to three

emmaegbert is offline  
#14 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I am sure you know this already but breastmilk should be very protecting for Julian, so the more he nurses the better! Friday I went to hear a brief talk by a great herbalist locally on the topic of supporting our childrens' optimal health naturally, and she urged that a nursing mom should try to strengthen her own immune system when there are sicknesses going around so that the benefits will be felt by baby too. Specifically she said to greatly increase taking probiotics and eating fermented foods, to take echinacea and astralugus (she suggested cooking the latter right into soups or broths, I guess you can get it as a dried root and it is very mild-tasting), also plenty of garlic and onions. Also, just good nutrition and plenty of rest. (ha, not so easy when parenting several young kids, esp sick ones). Nothing like a "magic bullet" but the same sort of good advice we already know about I guess.

FWIW my son was extremely sick for about a week and baby and I didn't get it. He was also sick when she was 2 weeks old and she came through unscathed. Too bad I went to the talk AFTER my son was better but its good to know for next time, and I guess my immunities did their job anyway.

Also she said- and I've heard this before- to try and avoid using those bulb suction things for stuffy noses and instead to use a few drops of saline solution or breastmilk to help clear it up.
Yeah, I hate booger suckers aka the bulb, I never use them. We'll see if he gets it or not. I've bf all my kids for years, still nursing the middle one as well, and while I know BM has decreased the severity of illnesses we've had, it certainly hasn't prevented any for my kids. I have to count how many weeks Gabrielle has NOT been ill instead of how many times she has been sick.


So DH left at lunchtime for a 9 day trip with my dad. I will survive. Right? The baby isn't the problem, neither is the 2.5y old, but the 6y isn't an easy child. At the end of the day, I'm wiped out and needing a break from her. I tried to beg my mom to come and spend a few nights with us but it was a no go. Sigh.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#15 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
 
wobblykate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
peony you will survive, i'm sure of it!! hope it's not too tough!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
wobblykate is offline  
#16 of 103 Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
 
momma2be_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parker started daycare today. The center is conveniently right upstairs from where I work... so I was up there every 2 hours to BF him. It was so nice to hold him after being away....
I'm just worried about "germs" LOL... good thing I'm BF-ing...

I'm also a little skeeved with the swing/bouncy chair items in the room. I "sheepishly" asked that they put a blanket down before putting him down on anything. The women in the room were VERY nice about it.

He was great all day.... I think I was more stressed than he was...lol. Still getting used to not being able to stare at him whenever I want - I have video saved on my cell phone that I can watch while I'm at work if I ever start to really miss him.... it just breaks my heart that my special time alone with him at home is over....


12 weeks tomorrow! OMG!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

 

momma2be_k is offline  
#17 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
 
michanders4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Racie - my LO hardly naps either. He is getting slightly better about it but he is such a cat napper and wakes up almost always as soon as I put him down. I know how trying it can be and can only imagine how tough it would be with a toddler too

s to all the Mamas starting work. I'm very fortunate to be able to take the summer off and be able to look for part time work at first.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
michanders4 is offline  
#18 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 AM
 
wobblykate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kim, that's so cool that there's a daycare in your building, but so sad that the 12 weeks went so fast. we really need an extended maternity leave in this country! i'm with you on the germ thing...dh works in a daycare and i don't let the kids touch anything but her feet!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
wobblykate is offline  
#19 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 AM
 
momma2be_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parker just woke up with a super stuffy nose....

I'd seriously be po'd if he got a cold his first day at daycare.... for REAL.

about 45 minutes to get him back to sleep.... something's up.
:

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

 

momma2be_k is offline  
#20 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM
 
wobblykate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
Parker just woke up with a super stuffy nose....

I'd seriously be po'd if he got a cold his first day at daycare.... for REAL.

about 45 minutes to get him back to sleep.... something's up.
:
crap

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
wobblykate is offline  
#21 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 AM
 
Lindsay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, Im exhausted, I didnt even read the thread! Ill get to it tomorrow definitely.

Dd1 started a week of summer camp this week, she had a blast and it let me be with the baby for hours uninterrupted.

Baby is doing really good, they are weaning her off sedatives and making the rest of her meds go by mouth so if needed, I can take her home with meds! (whatever lets me take her home faster!)Shes breathing great and is in an amazing mood these past 3 days.

She SMILED at me and her nurse Angela today, she looked back and forth at us like she was proud of herself!! (she should be)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0495.jpg Heres my new favorite pic of her. This is how she looks all the time, very sweet and calm.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0492.jpg
My friend saw this pic of her napping under fresh, warm towels, toys and pacis around her, and said "Diva! Move over Mariah and Whitney, Sophias going to be top diva now!"

My hope of getting her home soon is wavering a little but Im trying to be strong.

Is it hot everywhere else? Im melting here!!!!

wife. dd1 : dd2
Lindsay1234 is offline  
#22 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 AM
 
fairymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m still here.I haven't been posting much (so hard to catch up) w/all the kids home from school and our laptop being down (home computer is kinda the kids' and is like 10 yrs old= very slooooooooow) it's hard to get on for more than a few mins.FB is easier for me to keep up with-less time needed.

Lindsay- you'll have her home soon.did I ever mention I have an Isabella too?mine's 7.

And yes its extremely hot here too.here in mn it was 95 and 87% humdity yesterday! we were sweating sitting still!

What kind of pumps are you guys using? I am looking into getting one but can't afford the "good" ones.I just know I want one that's electric.

Sick babes- Caleb got a cold at 3 weeks-he was the 1st lo I've had get sick that young.I think each child is so different.

Here on the home front- dh is so grumpy all the time finding it hard to live with. didn't help someone stole the lawn mower from the yard yesterday afternoon!: Really dislike the area we're living in but can't change that anytime soon.Also it's looking like no camping this summer for us- dh can't take the time off of work. Can you tell I'm feeling discontent with life right now?!

Ok I am going to vow to try and keep up here more.I've missed you all.
fairymom is offline  
#23 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
 
momma2be_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post

What kind of pumps are you guys using? I am looking into getting one but can't afford the "good" ones.I just know I want one that's electric.
I have a Lansinoh double electric pump. No bells, whistles or "travel bags" - I think it was about $150 which is still pretty pricey, but far off from the 250 or 300 of some of the Medela. I originally registered for an Ameda.. but after bit of research, I found that the Lansinoh and the Ameda are made by the same company, with the same parts. I ended up going with the Lansinoh because they sold it at babies r us and I had a bunch of gift cards that I wanted to use.

It's a great pump (although I have nothing to compare it to). It works great and is easy to clean.

HTH!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

 

momma2be_k is offline  
#24 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
 
momma2be_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
more news on the stuffy nose....

it's not as bad as it was last night... Parker has had a tendency for boogers since birth. So I'm hoping that last night was a fluke and will pass....

(crossing fingers)

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

 

momma2be_k is offline  
#25 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
 
momma2be_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Ugh, Im exhausted, I didnt even read the thread! Ill get to it tomorrow definitely.

Dd1 started a week of summer camp this week, she had a blast and it let me be with the baby for hours uninterrupted.

Baby is doing really good, they are weaning her off sedatives and making the rest of her meds go by mouth so if needed, I can take her home with meds! (whatever lets me take her home faster!)Shes breathing great and is in an amazing mood these past 3 days.

She SMILED at me and her nurse Angela today, she looked back and forth at us like she was proud of herself!! (she should be)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0495.jpg Heres my new favorite pic of her. This is how she looks all the time, very sweet and calm.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/kdk_0492.jpg
My friend saw this pic of her napping under fresh, warm towels, toys and pacis around her, and said "Diva! Move over Mariah and Whitney, Sophias going to be top diva now!"

My hope of getting her home soon is wavering a little but Im trying to be strong.

Is it hot everywhere else? Im melting here!!!!
Lindsay - I just cannot get enough of ALL THAT HAIR! I giggle every time I see a new pic of her.... she looks so gorgeous and STRONG! You'll have her home soon for sure.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

 

momma2be_k is offline  
#26 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 AM
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I like the (unintended?) pun here.

I need to sew up a mei tai. Its something I want to do when I get back from a trip next weekend. I want to sew them up for a couple of other friends as baby gifts too, so I hope I can get that going.

Thursday is my birthday...
I need to find someone AP-oriented though.)....

Shine: I hope you get a good answer about BM. I bought a stack of those BM storage bags
Happy Birthday Early Emma!!! If you sew the mei tai, consider making the top curved like the kozy, it's sooo great for a head rest then you can just fold it down and it's like a regular MT. Hope you find an AP therpist...I think evyerone could use a little therapy now and then! I have!!! I'll just buy some bags. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
oh and shine...i feel the same way about having BM in the freezer. At least she could eat until someone thought to get formula...lol not funny, but i did think about it too...
Glad I'm not the only one!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I have been having major problems getting the LO to nap. I think I figured out the problem--he wil NOT nap if I put him down. I've tried the carseat, bouncy seat, swing, nursing down on the bed, the pack-n-play on vibration, and the crib. He will nap in a carrier, but will only stay asleep for 5-10 minutes at a time if I talk, if ODS is awake, or if I bend or reach at all. So with a 22 month old that sometimes refuses to nap, what do I do? I have been stuck walking the house or swaying during ODS's nap and got nothing done and couldn't even eat b/c anytime I went to reach or bend for food, LO cried.
So sorry about the sleep thing! DD1 was like this, she only slept if I was really still in the rocker...It took forever to get her to sleep and she HAD to be rocked, then if I moved to get the remote or a drink, she'd wake...so I learned to have everything in the chair with me and just spent hours in that chair...I HATED that chair after 4 months! Then we did a modified ferber for a week at 4 mo and she's slept really good ever since. Though not sure I'd do the ferber thing this time around, we co sleep anyway and I'm not concerned about getting her to sleep on her own...she doesn't need to under age 1 in my view. Anyway this senerio doesn't work when you have another child...I hope you find something that works soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Also she said- and I've heard this before- to try and avoid using those bulb suction things for stuffy noses and instead to use a few drops of saline solution or breastmilk to help clear it up.
Well I"m a user of the bulb...LO has massive boogers that block her breathing and she fusses like no other till it's out. It's so cute to see her just lay so still after it's out like ahhhh I can breathe! Anyway we were just told not to abuse it, so we only use it when she's really fussy and we use saline solution first to loosen it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
So DH left at lunchtime for a 9 day trip with my dad. I will survive. Right? The baby isn't the problem, neither is the 2.5y old, but the 6y isn't an easy child. At the end of the day, I'm wiped out and needing a break from her. I tried to beg my mom to come and spend a few nights with us but it was a no go. Sigh.
YOu WILL survive! I pray you get some moments to yourself when needed even if it's just while going potty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
s to all the Mamas starting work. I'm very fortunate to be able to take the summer off and be able to look for part time work at first.
I second this! I'm fortunate to be able to stay home, though some days I really miss adult interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Ugh, Im exhausted, I didnt even read the thread! Ill get to it tomorrow definitely.

She SMILED at me and her nurse Angela today, she looked back and forth at us like she was proud of herself!! (she should be)

My hope of getting her home soon is wavering a little but Im trying to be strong.

Is it hot everywhere else? Im melting here!!!!
YES it is HOT here! felt like 102 yesterday...UGH! Lindsay you are doing so great! I'm so glad that you had some uninteruppted time with LO and DD1 had fun at camp. I'm sure it's hard to balance your time betweeen them and get rest, I'm sure your exhausted!. How GREAT to get a smile!!!! It may not seem like it to you but from this side of the computer Sophia's is recovering remarkibly and quickly...to have had the birth she had and then open heart surgery and be not even 2 months yet, this is AMAZING. And that tubes and meds are allready changing for home use...this is major progress LIndsay! I'm sure in it it seems so slow, but she will be home with you soon!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
IHere on the home front- dh is so grumpy all the time finding it hard to live with. didn't help someone stole the lawn mower from the yard yesterday afternoon!: Really dislike the area we're living in but can't change that anytime soon.Also it's looking like no camping this summer for us- dh can't take the time off of work. Can you tell I'm feeling discontent with life right now?!

Ok I am going to vow to try and keep up here more.I've missed you all.
Sorry about the discontent...I have my days too you can read them in my blog...I usually only write when I'm feeling crummy!

I'm so not a morning person, was so mean to DD1 this morning, not fair to a 4 year old! Going to the coffee house this morning, have to firm up plans for SIL baby shower there. Found the kiddop. swaddle, she's too big for it, will HAVE to go get the larger size, she sleeps soooo good in it! last night I finally cleared the clutter in this house...I have a hard time getting rid of stufff, especially toys, so DH said just put it in tubs in the basement for a while and keep or get rid of later...How Smart! I feel soooooo much better!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#27 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
 
bodhitree's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: where the mountains meet the plains
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Anyway how important is it to buy the actual EBM storage bags? I pumped into a bottle with a drop in liner, can I just twist tie the liner and seal it in a plastic bag and put in freezer? How long can EBM be stored? Any other info I need to know. Oh and I feel sooo good having my breasts fully emptied, I'm not sure LO ever fully empties them.....
I pump into the bottles that go along with my Medela pump, then I pour the milk into an ice cube tray, cover it with plastic wrap, and freeze the milk in that. Then I transfer the cubes to a normal freezer bag (labeled with the month so I know how long the milk will be good for). That's what was recommended to me by the LC at our local breastfeeding store (yes, we have one, I'm so lucky!). I really like this system because when you go to use the milk, you can pick how many cubes to thaw based on how hungry the baby is. Also, you don't have to buy special bm collection bags.

For those who've been discussing tightening up the lower abs after a CS, I've been curious about the same thing. My MW said to do plank position (10 secs at a time, work up to 10 reps) but I'm not sure how much that does for the lower abs. I'll have to ask my friend who's a yoga instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
So DH left at lunchtime for a 9 day trip with my dad. I will survive. Right? The baby isn't the problem, neither is the 2.5y old, but the 6y isn't an easy child. At the end of the day, I'm wiped out and needing a break from her. I tried to beg my mom to come and spend a few nights with us but it was a no go. Sigh.
That sounds tough. You'll make it through, though!

Lindsay, Sophia has some amazing eyelashes!

River woke me up at 6:15 today and was wide awake, while I'd hoped to get another 3 hours or so of sleep, but she was so happy I decided to just wake up and enjoy her. We had a really tough day on Sunday (involving at one point both of us crying simultaneously, her because of her teeth and me because I couldn't help her feel better). Yesterday was much better, luckily. And this morning is awesome. I just played with her for like two hours and she kept smiling and trying to stuff her fist in her mouth.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
bodhitree is offline  
#28 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
I pump into the bottles that go along with my Medela pump, then I pour the milk into an ice cube tray, cover it with plastic wrap, and freeze the milk in that. Then I transfer the cubes to a normal freezer bag (labeled with the month so I know how long the milk will be good for). That's what was recommended to me by the LC at our local breastfeeding store (yes, we have one, I'm so lucky!). I really like this system because when you go to use the milk, you can pick how many cubes to thaw based on how hungry the baby is. Also, you don't have to buy special bm collection bags.
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!! I'll do that! I even have popcicle makers so I'll do some EBM ones for teething!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#29 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
 
michanders4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About storing BM I just bought special one ounce bpa free bm ice trays off amazon. I forget how much they were but I think around 10 dollars. I saw them in a store once and thought they were a great idea! I'm super paranoid about bpa and try to avoid it.

Lindsay - great update about Sophia!

It has not been hot out here and the sun has not been out much in weeks it seems, ugh! Its supposed to come out today and we are going to go to the beach!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
michanders4 is offline  
#30 of 103 Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
 
MelW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm leery of the bulb suckers, too. The ones I've seen seem to store the snot and seem hard to clean, so I worry that they would be a nice damp dark breeding ground inside. Not to mention the difficulty regulating the pressure of suction on the nose. I use a steamy shower and breastmilk instead.

Lindsay, what beautiful photos. Even her eyelashes are amazingly long!

Peony, good luck with your time alone. You can do it- but it sucks that you have to!

We've been doing EBM cubes for teething. They're great to have. Nora's two bottom front teeth are through the skin now. It's been a tough couple of weeks, and nursing has been challenging. Yesterday I woke up with strange breast pain, but continued on with my very busy day. My husband had a ton of grading to do, so I took the girls out all morning. By evening I was feeling kind of flu like, and after dinner looked at my bright red breast and realized I have mastitis. I sent Neela to daycare for the day, my husband is at work, and I'm spending the day in bed sleeping and nursing and using every other remedy/treatment I can trying to avoid antibiotics.

Yesterday I did a series of photos all day to document "a day in the life". I did this once before with Neela, though it's harder with a baby in arms. It crumbled a little in the afternoon with the mastitis, but I hope to upload them soon to share. Nora's contribution is a little boring- nursing, sleeping in carrier, awake in carrier. And then a couple with dad or on the floor so I could actually get a shot of her!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

MelW is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off