Exercise accountability? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone interested in a weekly exercise thread for keeping up accountable? I recently lost 45 lbs, and while I know that of course I'm going to gain weight while pregnant, I'd also still like to remain active, because that's what my body is used to. Plus, I want to make my body strong for my HB. Anyone else want to join?

Sunday - nothing
Monday - 30 mins treadmill at 3.5 mph, incline 1-5 and 30 mins body sculpting class
Tuesday - 30 mins treadmill at 3.2-3.5 mph, incline 1-5.
Wednesday -
Thursday -
Friday -
Saturday -

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#2 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Me, though I'm mostly doing walking and yoga.

Tues: 30 min walk
Wed: 40 min walk

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#3 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, I'm so sore from yesterday's body scultping class, that I think I'm going to be sticking with walking from now on, too.

#4 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Me.

I'm mostly doing walking. I plan to start taking yoga too. I hadn't run for a long while when I started up running a couple months ago. Then, I was running before we were pregnant every day for a couple of weeks (that was a month ago), but then we went on vacation and I haven't run since. Just walked. Is it OK to start light running again? I've heard it both ways, that you can run as long as you were running before, and that you can run regardless.
#5 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 PM

I'm in! Over the last two months I had been doing great at exercising and watching what I eat. I lost 12 pounds in that time so I better maintain that lifestyle while pregnant with this one so it comes off easier afterwards.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

#6 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
acp

I'm in! We're leaving on vacation tomorrow for 10 days, and I don't know how much I'll be able to exercise then (and probably won't be online at all) but once I get back I'd like to be as good as I can be about being in shape.
I exercised throughout my last pregnancy and felt like it really helped - with the pregnancy, the birth, and the PP recovery. This time I have a toddler, which makes it a bit more of a challenge to find the time, but I'd still like to work out as much as I can - running/biking these first few months, then maybe just long walks, yoga, swimming, or whatever I can squeeze in with DD.
#7 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm definitely in. Before finding myself knocked up, I lost 100lbs. Sadly, the scale has already begun creeping back up (9 wks) because the only foods I can eat without either feeling like crap or vomiting are carbs - pasta, breads, pretzels...we'll find out the damage at my first prenatal appt today.

But...in the meantime:

Sunday - went hiking/camping with dh - hike was 2.5 miles/about 1 hr including breaks
Monday - hiked around a river valley with a good friend, another 2.5 miles, same length of time.
Tuesday - walked about a mile, plan to walk a few more before the day is over.

I've been pretty good about getting to the gym, but it's closed this week for maintenance. There I run between 2 and 4 miles on the elliptical, and take aqua classes, as well as yoga and pilates occasionally. I also do the circuit machines for some toning/sculpting.

It's just so hard right now because I feel soooo crappy and tired, but I feel like if I take it too easy, I won't be able to get back into the swing of things once the icky part subsides.

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#8 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
Me.

I'm mostly doing walking. I plan to start taking yoga too. I hadn't run for a long while when I started up running a couple months ago. Then, I was running before we were pregnant every day for a couple of weeks (that was a month ago), but then we went on vacation and I haven't run since. Just walked. Is it OK to start light running again? I've heard it both ways, that you can run as long as you were running before, and that you can run regardless.
I've been told my a m/w that you can continue what you've been doing; you just shouldn't introduce intense new stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbelewe View Post
I'm definitely in. Before finding myself knocked up, I lost 100lbs. Sadly, the scale has already begun creeping back up (9 wks) because the only foods I can eat without either feeling like crap or vomiting are carbs - pasta, breads, pretzels...we'll find out the damage at my first prenatal appt today.

But...in the meantime:

Sunday - went hiking/camping with dh - hike was 2.5 miles/about 1 hr including breaks
Monday - hiked around a river valley with a good friend, another 2.5 miles, same length of time.
Tuesday - walked about a mile, plan to walk a few more before the day is over.

I've been pretty good about getting to the gym, but it's closed this week for maintenance. There I run between 2 and 4 miles on the elliptical, and take aqua classes, as well as yoga and pilates occasionally. I also do the circuit machines for some toning/sculpting.

It's just so hard right now because I feel soooo crappy and tired, but I feel like if I take it too easy, I won't be able to get back into the swing of things once the icky part subsides.
We're thinking along the same lines. I know that I feel really crappy now, but I don't want to get out of the habit, because it'll be harder to pick it back up when I do feel better, esp when my belly starts getting big.

#9 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm in! I bike to the gym and lift weights for an hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's getting hard to convince myself that it's a good idea, though, what with the August heat and the queasies. But I've been at it for nine years now, so doubtful I'm going to let that stop me.

Loving life with my amazing DH , luminous DD ( March 2009), and two crazy .
#10 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM

I am in. But, I am SOOOO tired I can barely do my house hold stuff let alone more excercise. I don't remember being this tired with my other pregnancies. YAWN!

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#11 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM

I'm in!

DH and I just joined a gym a couple of months ago to get our flabby selves into shape, and I started taking a yoga class there. I am hooked! Unfortunately, the lady who teaches it is a teacher and has to go back to school in a week, so this week is the last week of the hour-long morning class. She's hoping that they can squeeze in an evening class, but it will only be 30 minutes long. :

In the meantime, I have my yoga and bellydance DVD's that I can do at home, so we'll see how motivated I am.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#12 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
Is it OK to start light running again? I've heard it both ways, that you can run as long as you were running before, and that you can run regardless.
I ran during my last pregnancy up until it got cold and no longer felt comfortable (around 18 weeks), and plan to run for the first few months of this pregnancy, at least.
Everything I've ever seen (and my midwife) has said that running and other exercising is fine and healthy. Just, as a pp said, not to introduce something new and intense. So go ahead and keep running!
#13 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

When should I start prenatal yoga? My gym's next class starts on Sept. 1, but I'll only be 10 weeks...is that too early for prenatal yoga?

#14 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Get ready for lots of walks!

Sun: Walked 45 mins
Mon: Walked 70 mins
Tues:
Weds:
Thurs:
Fri:
Sat:

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#15 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post
When should I start prenatal yoga? My gym's next class starts on Sept. 1, but I'll only be 10 weeks...is that too early for prenatal yoga?
I'm no professional here, but I believe you can continue with normal yoga classes (but do inform your instructor that you are expecting so that he/she might modify positions for you) until around 3-4 months. I also think it depends on what YOU want, as the prenatal classes are probably a more gentle practice.

Not 100% sure, but I'm considering taking a class tonight so I'll ask.

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#16 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in!! DH and I joined a gym about a month ago and I'd like to keep it up! We will be out of town starting tomorrow for about 10 days, but as soon as we get back I'll be reporting on here. I found a machine at the gym that I love - its a type of elyptical and I can really monitor my heartrate (I hear not to let it go over 140 when pregnant) and I enjoy doing it! I usually stop when I start feeling cramps or too tired.

Michelle

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#17 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was doing Yoga too and I wondered about it. It was actually power yoga and I think I'm done with that for now. I'd like to eventually join a prenatal yoga class!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#18 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbelewe View Post
I'm no professional here, but I believe you can continue with normal yoga classes (but do inform your instructor that you are expecting so that he/she might modify positions for you) until around 3-4 months. I also think it depends on what YOU want, as the prenatal classes are probably a more gentle practice.

Not 100% sure, but I'm considering taking a class tonight so I'll ask.
Well, I've actually never taken a yoga class before. The prenatal yoga one would be my first.

#19 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM

10 wks. isn't too early for prenatal yoga, but don't be surprised if you're the "least pg" mama there, since most women wait until 2nd trimester to start; if you start now, you run the slight risk of feeling like your pg drags interminably, lol. Kind of like breaking out the maternity clothes at 8 wks., you know? You could definitely do a regular yoga class for several more months yet without having to modify much if anything at all. On the other hand, I met one of my best gfs taking a prenatal yoga class, so if you start now, all the more time to hang out and get to know people.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#20 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM

I found these free videos online. They're nice for figuring out if you want to do it or not. They'd also be helpful for people who don't want to start a prenatal yoga class too early. I think they're applicable to all stages of pregnancy.

http://www.prenatalyogacenter.com/cmps_index.php?page=free-yoga-videos

I used this one before I was pg

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36076291757842

Most of it's do-able, there's one or two flat on the stomach poses that aren't comfortable for me anymore. This one has some great back exercises.

#21 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM

As a side note, my cousin, who is a CNM, said that most of the births she attends where the women did prenatal yoga go much smoother.

#22 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM

The biggest thing about doing regular yoga when pregnant is to ease up on twisting postures and don't do inversions due to the gravity pulling on your uterus. You shouldn't do inversion while having your cycle, either, but we don't have to worry about that anymore, do we?

Any yoga instructor worth anything will give you modifications for pregnancy. There are some things that I could probably still be doing, but why risk it? I've worked too hard for this baby to jeopardize anything!

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)

#23 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm planning to do my prenatal yoga DVD later, but I'm tired now from pushing DD around the library!

#24 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Hi all,
I had just started running again at the beginning of July so I have eased up on how hard I had been training since finding out I was pregnant. I plan to continue to mix jogging and walking three days a week and then do Total Body Works three days a week. It has been a little hard to get myself going running in the morning because I go right after I wake up but I have been drinking more water before I go and I feel energetic when I come back.
This week
Sunday Ran walked for 30 minutes
Monday Off
Tuesday Ran walked for 30 minutes
Wednesday Off
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Michelle : wife to wonderful hubby mama to Jude (10/03) Annika (4/06)
Zane (3/09): : : :
#25 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Oh man, do I ever need to join this thread. I am L-A-Z-Y ! It's crazy hot here in Phoenix so I can't barely make it to the mailbox without getting heat stroke. I tried to start doing yoga again a few months ago-- but my dd thinks I am a jungle gym when I do that so that lasted about 2 days. I guess I will continue being a lazy bum until it cools off a little, then I will start walking.

I completely admire you ladies who are so active- especially the ones who have young children at home. That alone is enough to tire me out!
#26 of 46 Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 AM

I'm signed up for a 14K run in early September, but have really been slacking on my longer runs lately. I need to keep up the training in case some pregnancy tiredness starts in a couple of weeks... With my last pregnancy, after a good workout was the only time that I had a real appetite in my first trimester. So the need to eat was my exercise accountability...

For now:
Monday: 35 min run (pushing stroller)
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: 30 min run (pushing stroller)
Thursday: off
Friday: 30 min run (arrgh! I slept in but I wanted to go for a longer run because I ran by myself!)
Saturday: off
Sunday: 30 min run (hills!)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#27 of 46 Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM

Today I went to my last yoga class at my gym. The instructor is a teacher and starts inservice next week, so they're trying to work in an evening class. I really, really hope they do, because this is the only form of workout that I've really taken to and love doing!

#28 of 46 Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 AM

Monday: Lots of biking towing the trailer
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: Run 40 min
Thursday: off
Friday: Run 35 min
Saturday: Run 50 min, (then good walk back to the car, since I suck at directions on the trail...)
Short hike and lake swim!
Sunday: 3 hours (!) of shoveling dirt, pushing a wheelbarrow and raking, a short bike ride and a walk around the park with my daughter. I'm ready for bed now...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#29 of 46 Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 PM

Its so exciting to see so many active mamas here!! I love to work out in my living room to the dvr or video on demand. I do everything from pilates to weight training and I plan to keep up with is this pregnancy. Last one I kickboxed till 12 weeks and then my abs felt like they were ripping apart so I stopped working out completely. Boy was that a mistake!!!

I'm going to start recording my minutes tomorrow!!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#30 of 46 Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

I was REALLY lazy this week. I just felt so crappy all the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page