cravings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just thought this might be a fun thread. let's talk about food cravings... are you getting them? for what? are you frequently craving the same thing or does this change from day to day? and if this is not your first pg, are you craving the same things as with your last pg or something totally new? are you indulging or trying to resist?

with my last pg i craved chocolate milk, which i always indulged as i felt like this was a healthy craving- i needed the calcium and the calories as i started out underweight. this time i am craving protein foods, especially fish. sardines, fish in general, and specifically filet-o-fish from mcdonald's. i know i am supposed to limit fish during pg, so im having trouble with this one. i really want to go get a f-o-f right now but i had one yesterday and a double a couple of days before that and a whole can of red salmon and some sardines this week as well! so im trying to resist....

looking forward to hearing what everyone else has been craving!

Mama to 3 boys 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 PM

I think if you limit the filet-o-fish meals from McD you will probably be okay.. LOL!

Do they even contain any real fish?

If you eat fresh fish from local sources, ones that aren't high in mercury you can (and should) eat fish! Canned fish.. not so good.

I have been craving fruits and veggies.. and sour foods like olives, pickles, etc.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM

Mostly, nothing much sounds good. Although, church's fried chicken with fried okra and hot sauce sounded good last night so I gave in. I've been eating alot of salads though. I'm overweight and really do not want to gain alot so i'm cutting out the pepsi, drinking lots more water, eating more veggies, and smaller portions.

My first pregnancy I don't remember craving anything, my second was fish, I ate salmon breakfast, lunch and dinner, and when i wans't eating salmon I was eating Mc donalds filet o fish. ACK. Not this time around.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Mostly I want things w/cheese on them!

I usually have a sweet tooth but so far, I'm not craving sweets
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM

I'm not really having cravings as much as aversions-- specifically sweet things. I am trying to eat more protein and have found it (so far) seems to settle my stomach.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM

I dont know if they count yet. I am only in the 2WW hehe....But I am craving pasta and fried eggs on toast! Yum!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Triscuit Thin Crisps.

Although a fried egg on toast sounds fabulous.

Loving life with my amazing DH , luminous DD ( March 2009), and two crazy .
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM

No aversions yet although nausea as what sent me out to pick up a pregnancy test in the first place. Food cravings would be avocado and soups. I can't wait for the cooler weather to get here.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM

I'm craving chocolate milk, red meat, salads & fruit.
I am having a serious aversion to anything pickled. This proved trying when we were canning quarts of pickles & relish last weekend.

Eh, even typing that made me feel sick.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Drinking tons of water. No particular cravings...I just walked by the office kitchenette, tho, and someone was microwaving ham and it just about killed me. I'm eating applesauce. Not quite as exciting. I've been wanting more cheese lately, but I don't eat cow dairy (or try not to) and goat cheese just doesn't do the same thing. I wouldn't call it a craving, yet. The other day I was driving to the store and got a cramp in my calf. I randomly decided I needed cherrios and bananas for breakfast and bought some, even though I don't usually like bananas. My SIL called me two days later and told me I should be eating bananas so I don't get leg cramps or charlie horses. I thought that was weird.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

i didnt know bananas were good for preventing charlie horses. thanks for the info, as i have been waking up with these.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
i didnt know bananas were good for preventing charlie horses. thanks for the info, as i have been waking up with these.
I think it is the potassium. They are also supposed to be good for digestion, so I've been putting them in my smoothies.

No cravings yet, nothing really sounds appetizing now. Except water.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM

No cravings for me just aversions. So far chicken, mushrooms and pizza make it to the no no list.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Yep, potassium helps prevent muscle spasms and such.

My craving is a little strange--the "snow" in the bottom of the ice bags. Yum! :

With my first pregnancy I didn't have any real cravings, per se, but I ate tons of fruit. It seems that the sweet and the cold are what get me going.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Ever since last night when my MIL was cooking carrots I've been craving cooked carrots and I was craving salsa this morning too. This is the very first I've really noticed cravings though. I craved sugar cookies w/ frosting before I found out I was pregnant but I could live off of frosting so that's not abnormal for me! lol I craved tons of sweets and potatoes in every form, but mostly french fries with my son so craving vegetables is very different! I had major aversions to some veggies with him! I couldn't eat lettuce until close to the end of the pregnancy! lol
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 AM

My first pregnancy I craved Chocolate Milk and Meat. I'm talking like a thick, rare, bleeding sirloin. I know...gross. But I craved meat so badly. I would eat a burger every day!..oh and Orange soda. I NEVER drink Orange soda. That one was weird.

No cravings yet with this pregnancy.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 AM

+
citrus
peanut butter
french fries

-
fish
meat
eggs

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM

My cravings (thus far) with this pregnancy are the same as I recall with my last pregnancy - anything salty! I crave salty meat, cheese, dill pickles...

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM

I about died at the checkout the other day when the lady gave me my total. But, then I looked in the basket, and realized I bought I LOT of fancy, expensive cheeses.

Which is not an uncommon food choice for me.... I just usually don't buy the fresh mozzarella, fresh goat cheeses, manchego, feta, prosciutto (OK, not a cheese, but an accompaniment), etc. ALL in the same week. I usually have one fancy cheese at a time.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Reubens and chocolate milk.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm in aversion rather than craving crowd right now, too. In fact, it was one of the things that made wonder "Could I be?" My beloved morning cup of coffee has tasted bitter and truly awful for days now, and I couldn't figure out why. I should have known -- I go completely off the taste for months while pg.

In the past week, I've also been ravenous but with no specific intent, like I'm starving, but not in the mood for any food at all. Which is another of my own quirky pg signs. Actually, since I'm more than a little fluffy starting out this time around, that might work in my favor and prevent me overeating.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Yesterday was definitely a meat craving. I had to stop on the way to visit a client and pick up a chicken strip at the deli. But I had a headache, too, so I think I was really low on protein. I'm going to have to make a concentrated effort to eat enough protein. I started off this morning with two eggs.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 AM

I'm expecting the "morning" sickness to strike soon, but until then, I'm craving supreme pizzas (Pizza Hut, specifically, though I haven't had any...yet!, submarine sandwiches full of meat, cheese, and veggies (wow, am I hungry! Is Subway still open this late?), anything cheesy, and lots of milk. I cut out the cow milk though for my BFing son and get 1/2 gallon of goat's milk a week. It's tough - about a cup a day, though sometimes I splurge at the fridge and drink half the carton without coming up for air. I may need more...

I'm hungry all the time. It's so hard to try to keep the snacks healthy. And that gets expensive, too. BTW, does anyone have a good recipe for a yummy smoothie with plain yogurt and fruit (strawberries and bananas are my fave)? How do I sweeten it?

Aversions: none yet, though last time it was anything minty. Had a hard time brushing my teeth. Also, DH's mouthwash and deodorant, and bodywash, etc. Hopefully not this time!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

smoothies sound so good right now! My blender broke last week tho hopefully dp will replace it soon. here's my recipe (amts. are approximate i dont measure anything):
1c yogurt (i usually use vanilla but plain works)
1 frozen banana
frozen blueberries (maybe about 3/4 c?)
2 Tbs fresh ground flax
handful organic spinach
generous squirt raw honey
pineapple juice (or whatever you have- apple juice or even water works) to thin
YUM!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Mmmm.. sounds yummy Ms. Shell!

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM

mmmm...a smoothie does sound good!

Is anyone else not feeling hungry in the morning (the thought of eating makes me want to throw up...I have to force feed myself), and then getting REALLY hungry at night?

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 PM

ms.shell: thanks for the smotthie recipe - just in time for the mid-afternoon hunger pangs, too! But really quick, YES! I'm not really hungry in the mornings. I'm not sick yet, though. Just not wanting to eat. But by, say, early afternoon, it hits and is relentless. I do start feeling a little queasy by late afternoon and not wanting to cook dinner, but I know eating would help. So I'm not eating the good stuff I should and maybe that's partly why I'm not feeling good in the evenings.

Ah, now I remember the first time. I get so tired of having to eat...again. If I could eat icecream and all the other non-prep unhealthy foods without consequences, I wouldn't have such a problem on my hands. Anyone else?

Fruit is good, though. Kiwi, strawberries, bananas...etc. But fruit gets expensive. :

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Well, my first real craving hit, I think. Crispy Chicken Nuggets from Wendy's. Ugh. Couldn't it have been something classier? Had to drive halfway across town, too.

I was a little off this morning, but ate my eggs anyway. That may have been a mistake, or it may have kept me from getting really sick instead of just a little queasy. Nothing that wasn't cured by an 8 am ginger ale Good thing the girls I share an office with already know, or I would totally have been outed by that.

Now I have been horribly, irritatingly ravenous all afternoon. I felt like if I didn't eat immediately I was going to die or something, but it had to be those stupid chicken nuggets. Oh, well. I wanted a frosty when I went through the drive thru, but I resisted. Hungry again...must go feed the lion.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 PM

I have been craving meat, and haven't disscovered any aversions yet. Last time I craved fresh fruit early then had aversions to anything BUT fresh fruit from about 8-14 weeks. Later on in my last pregnancy, I ate alot of carbs and smoothies. It looks like this pregnancy is completely differennt already.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I have been craving meat, and haven't disscovered any aversions yet. Last time I craved fresh fruit early then had aversions to anything BUT fresh fruit from about 8-14 weeks. Later on in my last pregnancy, I ate alot of carbs and smoothies. It looks like this pregnancy is completely differennt already.
Totally with you on the meat thing. Non-pg I only eat meat 1 or 2 x per wk. Now I want it every day!

User Tag List