What's on your 'to read' list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All right ladies, I am a huge reader and love reading up on pregnancy/childbirth stuff. So tell me all the books you plan on reading- because I need some new ones!

I am currently re-reading

A Thinking Womens Guide to a Better Birth- by Henci Goer

The Naturally, Healthy Pregnancy - by Shonda Parker

The Natural Pregnancy Book - by Aviva Jill Romm

and I am 'trying' to read The Complete Organic Pregnancy, but I am not really enjoying it

I plan to read

Adventures in Tandem Nursing
and
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
#2 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM

I am going to find a copy of Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. The birth stories are just so fun to read.
Probably The Birth Book and The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears.
#3 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM

I also plan to re-read The Thinking Woman's Guide.... It's on my library to-get list.

I didn't read Sears' Pregnancy Book the first time around, so that's on my list, too.

Another good one is Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. Part of it is quite sad, though, so don't read it on an emotional day.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Great thread!! I have my pen and paper out!
I didn't do the whole natural thing when I was pg the first time It was a lesson I learned after DD was born, and now my lifestyle has changed a ton. So I should really get reading on some of these!!

Melanie
#5 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM

I've been reading the Dr. Sears Pregnancy book and just ordered the Dr. Sears Vax book.
I also want to pick up a good book for breastfeeding. Any suggestions?
#6 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bebe View Post
I've been reading the Dr. Sears Pregnancy book and just ordered the Dr. Sears Vax book.
I also want to pick up a good book for breastfeeding. Any suggestions?
Dr. Sears Breastfeeding book? Would go along with your theme.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#7 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oooo, yes the Sears library! I am the librarian for our local LLL so I have ALMOST all of the Sears parenting books through that. I don't have the Vax book yet- but I am going to the LLL conference next weekend and Robert Sears is one of the speakers so I will get a signed copy there! I am
SO EXCITED!! I really hope my morning sickeness doesn't kick in before then!

Oh also, smocklets- good call, I really want to read Spiritual Midwifery too!
#8 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
Dr. Sears Breastfeeding book? Would go along with your theme.
ALso, the LLL -The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a must!
#9 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Birthing from Within by Pam England

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#10 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM

i am reading adventures in tandem breastfeeding and will probably reread the ina may book i have.

other than that not sure what else.... maybe hypnobirthing info

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#11 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 PM

along a totally different line... esp. if this will be your 1st baby, you must get a copy of the latest edition of Baby Bargains It is such a useful reference, I promise you'll go back to it again & again
#12 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 AM

Gosh...I feel like a pregnancy goober !!! I hadn't even considered reading something "good" for my brain and good for my pregnancy... I'm just looking forward to cooler weather so I can spend more time just reading books.

I'm working on the third book in the Golden Compass Series and have heard such great reviews of the Twilight Series that those are next on my list. What is everybody reading that isn't pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding related?

shhhh....I am working on Dr. Sears' Vax book (I got to meet him too and he is awesome...we even stood in a lunch line together at a recent conference and he is such a nice guy!) And I've never read Ina May's books so I'd like to read those also.
#13 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 03:24 AM

Not in your DDC, but it means I had a few more months to read a lot and these are the books I read and can recommend:

The Labor Progress Handbook by Simkin and Acheta
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Unassisted Childbirth by Shanley
The Thinking Womans Guide to a better birth by Goer
Gentle Birth Choices by Harper
Childbirth Without fear by Grantly Dick-Read
The control of Childbirth by Grodsky
Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davies
What to expect when youre expecting
#14 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
acp

I don't feel the urge to read as much this time around, perhaps because I read and researched so much last time.

Last time, my absolute favorite book was Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.
I liked Birthing from Within as well, though not quite as much.
I also read "Birth" by Tina Cassidy - not a guide to birth, just a history of how the approaches to childbirth have changed over history, but I found it pretty fascinating, especially when I was looking ahead to my own first labor and birth.
Two pregnancy books that I used a fair amount as references were Panic-Free Pregnancy and Fearless Pregnancy - neither is necessarily "natural" focused, but I was trying my best not to get into the mindset of obsessing over the pregnancy and trying to control every little thing, and they reminded me how normal and natural the process can be, and gave good information about the actual risks of things like eating soft cheese or sushi, drinking the occasional glass of wine or cup of coffee, and exercising.

Some friends loaned me other pregnancy books that I hated - the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, in particular. Ugh.

Near the end, I did more reading about babies - Happiest Baby on the Block was the best book I read, by far, for those first few months.

scraphappy-red - this time around, I'm like you. I think I just want to read lots of good books, when I can find the time, but am not so worried about reading about birth and pregnancy...
#15 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Fiction books, or anything NOT childbirth/midwifery related... because it just feels like I'm at work.

I'm really trying to stay out of my head as much as possible, so I don't over-midwife myself.
#16 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Breastfeeding Cafe is a great book full of stories about nursing from women all over the world. Makes you feel great to be a nursing mom (or planning to be).

Married to my sweet DH and mom to Teddy (1-4-07) and Silas : (3-21-09)
#17 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM

I'll read Adventures in Tandem Nursing for sure. Probably also How Weaning Happens. The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth that you mentioned sounds interesting too.

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
#18 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregnant_Midwife View Post
Fiction books, or anything NOT childbirth/midwifery related... because it just feels like I'm at work.

I'm really trying to stay out of my head as much as possible, so I don't over-midwife myself.
I worked in labour and delivery during my last pregnancy and spent a lot of time working to "get out of my head" (my midwife's exact words!).

I want to read "Siblings without rivalry", and will probably read through birthing from within again, too.

And I'll keep reading my regular stream of novels, short fiction and gardening/agriculture books.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#19 of 26 Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 AM

I read and researched so much my last pg, I doubt I will buy anything new this time around.

For bfing, I loved the LLL motherly art book, I stilll read it now, lol!

I might get a few more Sears books now that I think about it though. If only to have even MORE books on hand for my mother to scoff at.
#20 of 26 Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 PM

Monday I will be making my first visit to the University Library. I searched the catalog online last night, looking for some things I have seen mentioned here and elsewhere on MDC. I found something new, with a publication date of 2008; Control of Childbirth: women vs. medicine through the ages This sounds intensely interesting but will not be available until next week. In the meantime I'll be taking out Midwife's Apprentice and Birth at Home, which is in the biomedical library, as well as several other interesting things which I found in the catalog and may share about later if they prove so....

Mama to 3 boys 

#21 of 26 Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Monday I will be making my first visit to the University Library. I searched the catalog online last night, looking for some things I have seen mentioned here and elsewhere on MDC. I found something new, with a publication date of 2008; Control of Childbirth: women vs. medicine through the ages This sounds intensely interesting but will not be available until next week.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I read it and I liked it a lot. There are references quoted in pretty much every paragraph.
I liked it better than Birth, the surprising history of how we are born by Tina Cassidy, which is similar, but Control of Childbirth goes into more detail.
#22 of 26 Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM

yesterday i went in a thrift store and came out with books. i picked up Pregnancy and Childbirth, by Tracie Hotchner. It is the 2nd edition, pub. 1990. (1st was pub i think 1979).
I picked it up because it had a chapter on home birth and this guidebook was fat with lots of information. She is not a doctor but a woman and I feel very in agreement with her style. This is probably the best general guide I have seen yet, as it has loads of nutritional information. A very good reference. I haven't read most of it yet (I skimmed the homebirth chapter, which was mostly reasons why and why not -i believe i read more reasons why not, tho, and also have read the nutritional info, which as I said, is a valuable reference with her various inclusive charts: protein in grams in common foods; caffeine content; vitamins; even protein complementary tables and basic info on this referencing Diet for a Small Planet). I am glad I picked it up and you might want to as well if you see it around.

Mama to 3 boys 

#23 of 26 Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Birthing from Within and Sibling Rivalry.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#24 of 26 Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Birthing from Within and Sibling Rivalry.
Are we long lost twins? Seriously- same short and sweet book list. Due in April. Our older kids are close in age, too (mine was born November 2005). Guess what? I just moved back to Vancouver. Now I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out if we've met before...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#25 of 26 Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#26 of 26 Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Are we long lost twins? Seriously- same short and sweet book list. Due in April. Our older kids are close in age, too (mine was born November 2005). Guess what? I just moved back to Vancouver. Now I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out if we've met before...
PM'd you.
Do you love tiger ice cream too...this could get scary

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page