Names (Already) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 251 Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Seamus, Mel. But I agree: Seamus Heaney is a bit too much.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 251 Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
our baby has clearly shown us that it wishes to be named Riley, through about 20 different signs since before conception. so boy or girl, this little one is Riley.
Oh, do tell!
#63 of 251 Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

My best friend's husband's name is Seamus. He says it helped him get girls. Not that that is what you are going for, but apparently an added bonus.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#64 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I like Weston, or West (I've always liked Wesley, too). Though I do associate the Weston Price Foundation- not that it's necessarily a bad thing.

We still have our name list from my last pregnancy. My husband and I had several girl names that we both liked, and boy names were much harder. He LOOOOVES Seamus for a boy. If I let him have his way, we would name a boy Seamus Heaney as first and middle names. The compromise for me is dropping the Heaney and finding another middle name, and having "Shay" as a nickname.
"between my finger and my thumb the sqaut pen rests, snug as a gun"

Gotta love Seamus Heaney

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#65 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

I haven't even thought about names yet, though I often look at our list from my daughter. We didn't make a definite decision for her until after she was born (especially since we didn't know her gender), and I don't feel like I could name a baby without meeting him or her first.
We didn't name my dd for over a week! For the same reason.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#66 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, DH has vetoed Weston. : And of course, still has no other suggestions than Jack and Dorothy. UGH! Man I wish this one were as easy as it was with Brynn!

#67 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 11:42 AM

My DH is a big fan of Seamus, too -- I'm currently sort of "eh" about it.

Well, my fav girl and boy names of today are the following (this is subject to, no, BOUND to change over the months, lol):

Girl:
Molly Kathleen (Molly Kate)
Maureen ....something, haven't figured out my ideal middle name yet, maybe Rose? Grace? what sounds good with Maureen?

Boy:
Iain Edmund
Duncan Edmund
James Edmund (Jamie, not Jim as the shortened form)

(Edmund is pretty non-negotiable, we tend to do the name we like for first names and use family names for middle names, and Edmund is next up on the list of people to honor)

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#68 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM

the name came to DH out of the blue on the day i ovulated, just popped in his head. then on his way to work the next day he saw a huge truck with RILEY written on the side...on his way home from work he was listening to Sirius Satellite radio in his car earlier than normal so he was listening to a show he had never heard before, and on the text crawl was written: "Riley Martin wants out!" LOL

i was getting a little jealous that dave was seeing all these signs but i hadn't seen any yet so i asked the universe and whatever spirit guides i have out there to show me a sign too. less than 30 seconds later i stopped at a red light and looked to my left and there was a little green sign near the ground that said "Reilly".

about 10 minutes later, i was at another red light and a different truck (not the one dave had seen a few days prior) drove by with RILEY on it.

then, the funniest one, which showed us a sign of pregnancy more than anything else was when dave was driving home from work later that week. he drove by a billboard that said "If you're looking for a sign, this is it!"

LMAO!!!

so yeah...this little one is Riley. or Reilly, i suppose...
#69 of 251 Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh I got goosebumps! That is so cool!!

#70 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Crazy how many of us are liking Seamus. I don't know anyone IRL who is considering it.

Now I know I'm in good company in this DDC. Good taste, ladies!

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#71 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 AM

funny, my DH loves Seamus too - but I vetoed it (duck, hide) ....

on MY list, but not necessarily DH's:

boys:
Tristan (all time fav - but DH doesn't like - BOO!)
Breckin
Caden/Kade (but its gotten too popular i fear)

girls:
Auden
Afton
Eden (but Dh said no
Dillon

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#72 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 AM

Man, I really wanted Eden, too, but DH said no. It's my grandma's fault. When we told her she said, "No! That's a man's name!" and that was the end. DH apparently likes "girly" girl names and "boyish" boy names...whatever.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#73 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've had a list of names going since DD2 was born. We will just narrow down the list some, and wait for baby to be born. With both my girls, we picked out boy and girl names, and then they both were not the name we had chosen. So this time I'm not even going to try!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#74 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 AM

We have a list of names, but won't reveal the list--or our final choice--until the babe is born. Prevents people from "stealing" the name or criticizing it--after all, who would complain about the name when little Hubert* or little Mildred* is right there?

*not the names we've chosen
#75 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 AM

Guin, I LOVE the name Molly Kate, I hope that is your daughter's name

(I was voting for Weston, Amy...maybe dh can be swayed. My sis and her dh never can agree on names and she always hates his suggestions. she has repeatedly said to me, "oh well, its the mother who signs the birth certificate." lol...but her and her dh have wound up in agreement every time after all. probably only because he would better agree than to have her call it. lol) or you might be having a daughter, too...in which case Weston would just not be right!

too cool about Riley sending all those signs!

ya'll have a good night (or a good day as the case may be).

Mama to 3 boys 

#76 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
Crazy how many of us are liking Seamus. I don't know anyone IRL who is considering it.

Now I know I'm in good company in this DDC. Good taste, ladies!

XOXO
B
:

shanahan, I like Auden. Maybe we can have a poet-themed DDC.

My DDC with my daughter had a group of Ella/Ellie babies. Ella was on our list, but we have Neela instead. Most of our girl name choices have "L" in them (and a lot of "A"s, too). If this baby is a girl, Lillian is a top contender.

2lilsweetfoxes, we didn't share our name choices with anyone IRL last time. Online I feel a bit more buffered, since I'm less sensitive to criticism online than by family. We shared our top name choices with my MIL when I was in labour last time, since it was late enough to feel safely free from any name judgements (like who is going to tell you they don't like the name when you're busy birthing the baby?)

IncaMama, thanks for sharing. What a great story!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#77 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
No names here just yet. But, it better be another girl since I simply cannot come up with a boy name I like. Seriously, if it's a boy, he'll be nameless for a bit. I love my nephew's name: Mars Riley.

My dh is Puerto Rican, though, so, I want the baby to have at least one Spanish name. Our daughter is Cora Isabella (I know, Isabel is the Spanish version, but I liked Isabella better) after my mom, Cora Elizabeth. That one was pretty easy.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#78 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I thought of naming ds Mars River, but his dad vetoed that quickly. i told ds this recently and he thought that would have been the coolest name and said he wished i had named him Mars. According to him (he's 6), Mars River would have been cool, but the best name I could have given him would have been
Mars Malachai (I think that's the spelling: MAL-uh-kye- im not sure where he even heard this one).

Mama to 3 boys 

#79 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 PM

So far, DH and I have agreed on...

Boy: Odin Steven
Girl: Milo Violet or Milo Belle (pronounced MY-lo)

DH really likes Silas for a boy but I'm hearing it more and more so I'm not sure. He also wanted Echo for a girl but I'm not sold. I like Milo June after a great-aunt of mine, but DH has a great-aunt June on his side but she's a real whack-job so that's out. I REALLY wanted Juno Violet but with the movie, I'm afraid everyone will always assume that's where the name came from.

I KNOW we will change our minds about a hundred more times. That's what happened with Ezri - it was the first name we both liked, then after changing our minds over and over, we ended up back on it.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#80 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM

For a girl we have decided on Alexandra Carolyn. Carol is my m/n, as well as my mothers. And my MIL's name is also Carole.

We are sooooo undecided for a Boy. For DS it was really easy - we named him after my DH (a Jr). But our last night begins with a P, and ends with ER, so a lot of the names we like sound weird with it.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#81 of 251 Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercp8 View Post
But our last night begins with a P, and ends with ER, so a lot of the names we like sound weird with it.
So Parker is out, huh?

I think I've resolved the Emory going from a boy name to a girl name by making Emery a top choice for a girl, but taking Emory off of our boy list. I'm thinking Emery Charlotte, in honor of my dad, whose name is Carl.

Still zilch for a boy. Argh!! : I was just so sold on Weston and haven't found anything else that has sounded right to me since then.

Frida, I also really really like Juno (and have for years) but had the same feeling since the movie came out. Also one of my best friend's daughter's name is June, so it would be a little too similar, I think.

Mel and others, on the topic of sharing the name with friends and family, a part of me doesn't want to but I am just horrrrrrible about keeping secrets so I seriously doubt I could keep it to myself for any length of time.

#82 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM

But isn't Peter Parker a pretty cool name?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#83 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM

Well, ours will definitely change. We always do that. But here's what we like so far:

GIRL
Elise Nicole
Charlotte Elaine

BOY
Evan Christopher
Keeton (dh likes this, I'm not sold)

These are all we can agree on at the moment.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#84 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:34 PM

We've had a girls name picked out 4-EVER and hopefully we get to use it. It feels like she already exists because we talk about her so much....

girl: Clover
boy: ??

Our ds is Lochlan (liked the o better than the a) and its super awesome and fits him perfectly. Clover goes perfectly with it but if we have a boy I am stumped. Heres my list that DH hasn't veto'd yet (he veto'd SOOOO many names!!)

Auberon (noble)
Calloway
Ronin (Samurai without a master)
Slevin (mountain climber)
Willoughby (from the farm by the willows)
Selig (german- blessing)
Sevrin
Griffin or Gryphon
Iverson
Rhoden
Chancellor
Crosby
Finch
Hawthorn
Maverick

I think Griffin is my favorite. I have my heart set on the nickname Fin but I don't like the typical Fin names (Findlay, Finnegan etc..)

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#85 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Oh we are definitley NOT ssharing the name of the baby with family until after the cert has been signed, lol. We learned our lesson last time!
#86 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:36 PM

casseiopia - what's you're dd's name?
#87 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Her name is Morgan (Morganna, Morgan la Faye)

I actually chose her name because of it's significance to me on a few levels - it's the name of one of the strongest Celtic Triple Goddesses (crone, mother, maiden) and is related to the Avalon myths of King Arthur. She is also the Lady of the Lake in poetry, myth and prose.

The name just also happens to be the last name of my nan's nan, so it's a family name. There is a tradition in my family of giving children a name somehow related to the mother's family and since I trace my family's origin along matrilineal, not patrilineal, lines that really appealed to me.
#88 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:47 PM

i love that name! what was the problem?? esp. since i was a family name??
#89 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

So did people not like Morgan? It's a beautiful name, and so meaningful that it comes from your family.

lotus blossom, I *love* Clover. Love.

#90 of 251 Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 PM

The problem was, dh is Greek. And in that culture, the children are named after the FATHER's parents. So my dd's first name should have been MIL's name in order to "honour" her.

I flat out stated that I hadn't been planning to birth this child since I was a young girl, just to "hounour" his mother. Plus, I really don't like his mother's name. and then MY mother didn't speak to me for TWO weeks after we told her about the Greek tradition. It was two months of pure hell.

I settled to have mil's name as a middle name, which a few of dh's friends were like "huh???? how the heck do you pronounce that????" so in a moment of weakness, dh let me shorten it down.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page