Names (Already) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot find any girl names that seem right. I am hoping this is because we don't need a girl name. If it is a boy it will definitely be Terran, and I have to admit we are already calling baby by this name. I like Terran Glenn best, dp wants Terran Lucas (after George Lucas, lol). We thought we liked Emma for a girl. but my sister has pointed out how very popular this name is now. Also, I couldn't find a middle name I liked to go with Emma. DP really wants star wars names, and so I thought I had it with Emma Leia. I thought that sounded great and then I mentioned it to my sister, and she said, "you mean like the mountains?" !!!LOL maybe that is why that name felt "familiar." So we are leaning away from Emma. I like Gaia but dp said no way. I have gone through lists and lists and just can't find anything girly I really like. Hopefully we have a Terran!

Mama to 3 boys 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
I cannot find any girl names that seem right. I am hoping this is because we don't need a girl name. If it is a boy it will definitely be Terran, and I have to admit we are already calling baby by this name. I like Terran Glenn best, dp wants Terran Lucas (after George Lucas, lol). We thought we liked Emma for a girl. but my sister has pointed out how very popular this name is now. Also, I couldn't find a middle name I liked to go with Emma. DP really wants star wars names, and so I thought I had it with Emma Leia. I thought that sounded great and then I mentioned it to my sister, and she said, "you mean like the mountains?" !!!LOL maybe that is why that name felt "familiar." So we are leaning away from Emma. I like Gaia but dp said no way. I have gone through lists and lists and just can't find anything girly I really like. Hopefully we have a Terran!
What about Taryn? It sounds similar and I always thought that was a pretty girl name Just a suggestion!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#123 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 PM

I think dh and I have rather amazingly agreed on names without a fight this time
We talked about it yesterday and I don't think the conversation lasted 5 minutes

It took a couple months to come up with dd's name. Naming the boys was omg; I think I was 7 months along when we agreed on them after quite a few fights

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#124 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM

We don't have names, but we're looking. I'm hoping for some sort of cosmic intervention sometime in the next 7 months. I think I'm resisting naming it until the 2nd trimester. We have been tossing about some names though - but nothing really seems right. Girls seem easier than boys, though, for me, so maybe I'm having a girl?

I did see Everett & Ezra mentioned on here, as well as Elijah (I'd nickname "eli" from that - of course DH HATES the Manning bro's , so Eli got vetoed... which means now I too hate the Mannings) - I like the style of those names. I have this morbid habit of walking around cemeteries from the 1700s looking for names - I like the old puritan-style ones.

Looks like we've come to some sort of consensus for the time being: either Hawaiian or Japanese first name - honors his family without actually having to name the kid AFTER someone (shudder, oh the horror - at least in our families, there is no chance), but it's got to be short and full of vowels (we have a japanese last name, which is hard for a lot of people to pronounce, but only because Americans tend to be lazy speakers, I think).

Then we'll do an American middle name. In my mom's family, the boys all have the SAME first name (after their father), and go by their middle names, which are obviously different from each others. Ex: my cousins are Rodney Christopher and Rodney David - Chris & David. Weird, I know. Thats the redneck branch of the family.

I figure this way, as the kid grows, it can pick which it wants to identify with - it can go by its American name or its Japanese/Hawaiian name. At the same time we can kind of honor the traditions of both of our families without actually picking someone to name them after.

On a side note: Is anyone having the problem where every single name they like, they can think of a person with that name that they absolutely can't stand (or their mother's arch enemy, or something along those lines)? Example: I like a certain name that has been mentioned here, but my step-grandfather got kicked out of the family, and HIS mother's name was the name mentioned above (I'm trying to protect those who like the name) - his mother was a very cruel person as well. So there's no way I could use that name. Which I find unfair.
#125 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Just a lurker who loves names...

DH and I are expecting #2 in April and this time around naming is so much easier. Covered all the family bases with DD so now #2 is free reign...

Girl:
Jade Elisabeth

Boy:
Leo Emrys

DH really loves Jade and at first I was like okay....but it is really growing on me now. We also really liked Leonidas, but not a great name for the real world so Leo will probably be the name we go with is this one is a boy. Elisabeth I picked as I liked how it sounds with Jade and DH liked it too and Emrys is a Welsh form of Ambrose and is also the name that Merlin (King Arthur) was given is some alternate versions of the King Arthur stories and DH and both love the mythology!! Of course there are still names on my list that I would love to use...but DH vetoed those a long time ago....lol....Rinoa, Fiora, Juniper, Kerensa, Matthias, Cohen, Elliot...*sigh*
#126 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
I did see Everett & Ezra mentioned on here, as well as Elijah (I'd nickname "eli" from that - of course DH HATES the Manning bro's , so Eli got vetoed... which means now I too hate the Mannings) - I like the style of those names.
I LOVE Eli - it's one of my favorite boy's names - but DH also doesn't like Eli manning and vetoed it in part for that reason. I also love Emmett, but he hates Emmett Smith (another football) player, and vetoed that one. What is it with football and names? DH isn't even that much of a football fan!!!

We also have the problem of some names that we (or one of us) like reminding the other person of disliked family members or acquaintances or old boyfriends/girlfriends. Too bad...

Last time it took us forever to come up with names - we changed both our boy and girl names up until the last minute. This time I've promised DH we'll find out the gender (he really wanted to know last time and caved in to please me) so I dont' think we'll have any serious discussions until then. Of course, I already have my lists....
#127 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM

We have a girl first and middle name combo we didn't use last time, but I'm conflicted about using it (even though we both love it and it would honor my grandmother) because a family I am acquainted with, and who are moving to our area and will be attending our small church, have seven children, one of which has my son's name, and one of which has the name we wanted to use for a girl. We are a small and very closely knit church, and we've decided against countless great names because they were already taken... and it kind of seems odd to take TWO of somebody elses name choices... lol...

So we'll see... I have a few boy name ideas, but we haven't really discussed it much.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#128 of 251 Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM

yes mi dawn, herbie is sort of cute- but reminds me of the disney car. lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#129 of 251 Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM

so we spent a long weekend walking the beach & discussing names. Not a bad way to do it, really. I've asked several friends what their naming process was; the best answer I got is that my friend & dh tried out a different name everyday, referred to the baby by that name all day long, and eventually one stuck (of course, they picked one of the MOST common names, but whatever). They alternated who got to pick the name of that day. Seems like a good system & we started it over the weekend. Got one we kind of like, but of couse, I don't want to jinx it. And we can't figure out whether it should be a boy or girl name, but hey - it's a start.
#130 of 251 Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
On a side note: Is anyone having the problem where every single name they like, they can think of a person with that name that they absolutely can't stand (or their mother's arch enemy, or something along those lines)?
Kind of, but worse. I have been a teacher for 11 years, so that's nearly 240 students...*many* of them have permanently ruined names for me!
#131 of 251 Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM

we've got nothing!
We have the hardest time agreeing on any thing, it's amazing we actually managed to name the last two.
I'm waiting for the name to drop in my lap....
#132 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
Kind of, but worse. I have been a teacher for 11 years, so that's nearly 240 students...*many* of them have permanently ruined names for me!
im having this exact same problem. i teach preschool and SO many names have been ruined for me. i think this is part of why im leaning towards a more unusual name for this baby.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#133 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 11:37 AM

we decided two weeks after finding out.The hitch for us was finding names of stones to use for middle names (dad wants name to be grounded).
boy: Caleb Flint
girl: Olivia Jade
#134 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM

We are having a girl, and my 5 yr old dd is set that her name should be Cinderella. I told her we would have to think about it.

I have a few names I like, but hubby keeps saying no.. Middle name Jane.
Girls:Maren, Rayma, Elice, and Opal
Boys: Morgan, and Oliver (before we found out it was a girl)
#135 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've decided I'm not even thinking about names for another month. And given that in another month I'll be gearing up to travel for DD1's therapy, DH is not coming so it will make discussing names hard for most of this year. Neither one of our girls have been named the names we picked out ahead of time so I don't feel any rush about it. For a year, I've keep a list of names I like, and update as my tastes change, but I haven't even looked at the list since getting pg! And maybe that is what I do this time, a giant list to decide after we meet the baby since my children apparently do not like to be named ahead of time.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#136 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia P View Post
We are having a girl, and my 5 yr old dd is set that her name should be Cinderella. I told her we would have to think about it.

I have a few names I like, but hubby keeps saying no.. Middle name Jane.
Girls:Maren, Rayma, Elice, and Opal
Boys: Morgan, and Oliver (before we found out it was a girl)
How do you know so early what you are having?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#137 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
How do you know so early what you are having?
CVS? Amnio?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#138 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Alicia P, how do you say your daughter's name? My daughter is Neela (pronouned NEE-la). Is yours the same, or is it NAY-la (I'm thinking like Leila)?

My daughter is still stuck on the fact that there are two babies: a boy named "Balloon-head" and a girl named "Alligator Mike". I'm cursing my husband for having brought this book home from the library. Neela gets so upset if we suggest other names that we're just not talking about it right now. And the baby's nickname is officially balloon-head. I don't want to give birth to a balloon head :

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#139 of 251 Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM

We had an ultrasound at 19 weeks, the tech was great, and the baby was very cooperative..

My daughters name is pronounced Nee-la.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to birth a balloon head..
#140 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping this to see how everyone is progressing with names.

Still nothing for boys here, but I am considering Charles (Charlie for short) for a boy. I was thinking of perhaps Avery Charlotte or Emery Charlotte for a girl, but now think I want Charlotte as the first name, and Avery as the middle name.

I swear, this boy name this is such a torment to me!! Why is it so hard!??!

#141 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM

I am right there with you. I find girl names so much easier and I am pretty sure it's a boy! I think Charles (Charlie) is sooooo cute! I'm really into Jake Ryan these days.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#142 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

I don't know why but I had the strongest feeling that the guy in Sixteen Candle's character name was Jake Ryan and I just confirmed it. I'll have to second think that now!! GRRR.

#143 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Right now our names are:
Bryn for a girl
Arthur for a boy
or Theron for a boy

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#144 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Right now our names are:
Bryn for a girl
Arthur for a boy
or Theron for a boy
I'm quite partial to Bryn. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
I don't know why but I had the strongest feeling that the guy in Sixteen Candle's character name was Jake Ryan and I just confirmed it. I'll have to second think that now!! GRRR.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read your post! But would you call him Jake Ryan, or just Jake?

#145 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 PM

I'm kinda freaking about boy names right now too. Nothing stands out to me. And I keep looking at lists of names and it just gets worse and not better. And seeing as our latest feline addition went 4 mos before settling on a name (and even now I'm not so "sure" about the name)... I'm kinda worried that we will have a nameless child or settle on a name that I am completely indifferent about. :

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#146 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM

We have 2 more weeks before we find out if it is girl or boy and I want to have some names in mind before we find out. My husband is Joe and his brothers all had names that started with J (the four J's) so he is very opposed to any of the kids having the same first initial.

So far our current kids are Megan, Patrick, Bryce and Noah. I want a name that sounds good with all the other names, and a name that sounds good with just Bryce and Noah (my biological kids).

I like Peyton, Micah and Braden for boys, but they all start with the same letter as one of the above. Dh loves the name Melody for a girl and her name would be Melody Grace (again same initial problem as above). Grace has always been the name I wanted for a girl, but I'm not sure how it sounds with Bryce. Too rhymey maybe? (nice word I made there, huh!). I'm a bit afraid that if we dont have a boys name picked out that will jinx us for the u/s. Silly, huh!?!

Any boy name suggestions for me that go with the above names?
#147 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieWin View Post
We have 2 more weeks before we find out if it is girl or boy and I want to have some names in mind before we find out. My husband is Joe and his brothers all had names that started with J (the four J's) so he is very opposed to any of the kids having the same first initial.

My mum, dad and sister's names all start with J mine doesn't. I always felt somehow excluded, from what I dunno. So I'm doing the same thing, no one having the same first letter of their name. So far I've mostly managed to avoid it for 1st and middle names (one of the twins had dh's name as a middle name, William, but dh goes by B, so I file him under "b" )

This time its harder. 1st name I think we're all set though the name I really want for a girl starts with "C" but ds#1's name is Christopher. I can change it to start with a "K" and still have it be traditional and fit with the other kids names but I like the "C" spelling much better

Dh and I both think that we're having a boy though so hopefully the "C" vs "K" won't be an issue

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#148 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Right now dh and I are still in the joking about it phase of naming. So, you know, we've agreed that if it's a boy, we won't name him "Sasquatch." And a girl probably won't be "Pocahontas."

Beyond that, there seems to be plenty of time....last time, we settled on a name over dinner in California Pizza Kitchen (after thinking about it independently for awhile).

Mom of two girls.
#149 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM

We've had names picked out for awhile.

Boy: Kai Agape
Girl: Eden Maryann.

I think boy names are harder. I could have picked out 100 girl names

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#150 of 251 Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Do y'all have any thoughts on the name Soren for a boy? I just came across it today and really like it (well, for today anyway ).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page