Ultrasounds - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay for the heartbeats, ms.shell, katiedidbug and *bebe!!!

Good luck Julia'sMom!
#62 of 85 Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartycat View Post
Good Luck Julia's Mom. Hope all goes well tomorrow. : :

*bebe and Julia's mom: what were your beta numbers? I am obsessing ever since we were told ours were a little high and the possibility of twins was mentioned. I guess we will find out on Friday one way or the other.
10 days past ET (I think that would be 15 dpo) 280
12 days past ET (17 dpo) 680

However, the u/s this morning only showed two empty sacs. I should be 6w3d so I don't know what's going on and I'm very scared. This might just not be it. Please pray for a miracle that the little one is just hiding somewhere.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#63 of 85 Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Julia'sMom HUGS and more HUGS. I've just said a prayer for you and I hope the next ultrasound is different. What did the nurse/RE say? I know when I went in at 6w3d they said there might not be anything to see.

Please keep us posted! I'm going to keep praying for you.
#64 of 85 Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Good news!! After getting to work and realizing how upset I was, I decided to call the office and get the RE to review the results sooner (he didn't have to wait for b/w) and get back to me. Well, they scheduled a 2nd scan for this afternoon because he didn't understand why nothing was showing up since my numbers looked perfect. Well, at the second scan they not only saw both fetal poles & yolk sacs, but were able to get both heartbeats!! I was crying all the way out of the office in relief.

*bebe - Yeah, they were tiny, but apparently with the protocol I had and the size of the sac there definately should have been something to see. I could tell the first u/s tech was perplexed and confused when she didn't see anything. Besides, these are techs at the fertility clinic and deal with very early pregnancies all the time so they should be the most experienced.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#65 of 85 Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Julia'sMom Oh praise God! You have been on my mind and I've been praying like crazy. KUDOS to your RE for bringing you back today and not making you wait in agony! I'm THRILLED for you!!!!
#66 of 85 Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM

Just got back from my 6wk ultrasound a little bit ago. It was so incredibly amazing the see that little heart beat!!!! There was just one little one, and it just makes it seem so much more real to me.

Baby's first picture
6wk ultrasound
Let me know if the links don't work. :

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#67 of 85 Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Congrats Julia'sMom! So happy for you that everything is good!

Awww, quasar what a cute little bean you've got. I'm gonna miss that first lil ultrasound this time! Oh and by chance do you live in metro detroit? I couldn't help but notice the hospital name on your ultrasound I used to live in Ferndale.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#68 of 85 Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM

No U/S here unless we need it. We had one last time to check position... our little guy liked hanging out breech! But unless we need one I see no reason to have one, especially considering this is (relatively) new technology.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#69 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 AM

I'm feeling all freaked out because of the unusual circumstances surrounding this pregnancy and the miscarriage last time. I'll take an ultrasound I can, any time. Break out the probe- haha. I dread it, I dread seeing the screen again, but I have to know. Its just me. Definitely the 20-week one and then later in the pregnancy probably a 4-D us to see the baby moving and get some cool pictures. It made me feel so bonded to my son before I actually met him last time, I got to see how he was sucking on his hand and how he ws moving around and how he got upset when the lady poked at my tummy- I just felt so connected.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#70 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 AM

.O.K. first of all...I'm not carrying a little one right now. Had my little bundle of joy back in September 2007.

I'm on my way to becoming a Sonographer (attempting anyway) so, I thought that I would chime in.

I had a miscarriage in 1996 and a full term stillbirth in April 2006. So, with my little boy I had about 8 or so ultrasounds. I was considered high risk and there were some complications with the pregnancy.

I'm not a Sonographer, but I do know a little something about radiation. Ultrasound uses thousands of soundwaves/sec, non ionizing radiation which creates an image. The term radiation is used because, like most things it radiates. When you go outside, you get hit with more ionizing radiation (the bad stuff) than when you get an ultrasound. The higher in altitude you are, the more cosmic radiation (ionizing) you receive. When you fly, you're also getting hit with the bad stuff. Keep in mind though, I think you have to fly between N.Y.C and Athens roundtrip about 12 times in a year for it to be a bit of concern to the little one.

I'm not saying that I know of all of the long term effects on babes in utero, how could I? The technology has only been around since the 60's. X-Ray has been around since 1895, so we know that a lot of it, without the right precautions is not good. Heat from the transducer seems minimal. When I have an ultrasound, you know what I'm mostly concerned about? How hard the Sonographer pressing. Technique is what everyone should be concerned about, you have a bad sonographer...do not go back -- doesn't seem worth the risk. (Not sure if there is any, I was just taught that in anything medical, someone with bad technique is not someone you want to go back to.)

I can tell you that ultrasound has taken the place of some x-ray procedures. An ultrasound can view the heart, the liver, kidneys, and little sweet babies without the use of any invasive procedure and no barium (yuck, who wants to drink that stuff).

I'm not saying that everyone should go out and get one tomorrow. You have to do what's right for you and only you can determine that. Just thought that if radiation was a concern for mamas...I could shed some light.
#71 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Congrats Julia'sMom! So happy for you that everything is good!

Awww, quasar what a cute little bean you've got. I'm gonna miss that first lil ultrasound this time! Oh and by chance do you live in metro detroit? I couldn't help but notice the hospital name on your ultrasound I used to live in Ferndale.

Aw, thanks Lotus... it is a really cute little blob, isn't it? :
And yes we are metro Detroit-ers. We are east siders. Beaumont took over Bon Secour Hospital in Grosse Pointe which is where we had the ultrasound done.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#72 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM

awwww smartycat and quasar look at your little beeeeean!!!!

*sniffsniff*

that just made it more real for me. even though obviously that's not mine. LMAO!! but to know that they're really in there...to see them. ahhh, joy of joys.
#73 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=mercyrus;11956921].

I'm not saying that I know of all of the long term effects on babes in utero, how could I? The technology has only been around since the 60's. X-Ray has been around since 1895, so we know that a lot of it, without the right precautions is not good. , QUOTE]

This is where a good chunk of my concern is. X-rays were used for what, 60 or 70 years before it was determined that it was harmful to the fetus. U/S is still relatively new and frankly, it's safety has not been studied extensively. I think that U/S has it's place, and if my midwife believes that there is a medical reason to have one, I will consider it, but I do not think that routine U/S should be standard.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#74 of 85 Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM

I studied up on U/S a lot while pg, since I was getting so many and it's been well documented and studied, I was overwhelmed with information, which is a relief to me, since I tend to over study and over analyze EVERYTHING to death before I can make a decision!

Since we're in a better position, technology-wise, today than we were back in the early 1900s, and the scientific model whereby studies are posted in journals for peer review to be replicated and critiqued, in my opinion the echographies are safe as a standard procedure. We're free to make our own decisions on this, and I can't wait to see my little one's body growing inside me! My first u/s is still two weeks away though, on the 28th of Aug.
#75 of 85 Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
acp

Last time I got two ultrasounds, at 11 wks and 20 wks. This time, though, I'm guessing my midwife will want me to get one right away (though my first appointment with her still isn't for a couple weeks) just to try to get a due date, since AF never returned and I have no real idea when I'm due.
I'm actually looking forward to it, since it'll be fun to see the heartbeat. I think especially since no AF (and hence no missed AF), and the fact that we weren't really trying to get pregnant, this pregnancy still doesn't feel very real to me.
I'm guessing seeing the babe on u/s will change that...
#76 of 85 Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats to everyone who has seen their little beans' heartbeats!! We go for an ultrasound on Thursday when I will be 6w5d by my calculations. I am so nervous!!!! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

Michelle

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#77 of 85 Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM

I am. Just one to confirm the pregnancy and then at 20 weeks to see if all is well. (not finding out the sex this time!!!). I wish I didn't have to wait until Sep. to see my OB. and schedule the first ultrasound .

during my last pregnancy, I had multiple ultrasounds b/c of excess amniotic fluid. I hope that does not happen again!!
#78 of 85 Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to reort on here that we had our u/s yesterday and I'm measuring right on and the baby has a strong heartbeat at 141 bpm! I am so overjoyed! Do you think it's ok to let some of my fears go now? I'm still so nervous...

Michelle

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#79 of 85 Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
I just wanted to reort on here that we had our u/s yesterday and I'm measuring right on and the baby has a strong heartbeat at 141 bpm! I am so overjoyed! Do you think it's ok to let some of my fears go now? I'm still so nervous...

Michelle
oh momma, as mothers we never totally let all of our fears go.. they just seem to be replaced by a new fear. LOL!

That's so great that baby seems to be doing fine!

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#80 of 85 Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolhagan View Post
oh momma, as mothers we never totally let all of our fears go.. they just seem to be replaced by a new fear.
Truer words were never spoken!!

Wonderful news, Bexo.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#81 of 85 Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

No u/s here unless my doc or midwife recommends it. I did not have one while I was pregnant with C.

I'm sitting the fence on the doppler...
#82 of 85 Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
acp

Had an ultrasound today, and a due date, at last: April 6, so I'm just over 9 weeks pg. I wasn't too far off with my estimate, despite no AF to go by.
Last time i never had an ultrasound at this point, and never had a transvaginal one, but I have to say, it was really fun to get it today. Short and to the point - they just wanted a due date - but after hearing the heart beat and seeing the little guy/girl moving all over the place I'm finally finally starting to really believe I was pregnant.
#83 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Congrats! The whole transvaginal ultrasound thing wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it was going to be.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#84 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM

My plan is to only get them if there's a reason to. DH and I like to be surprised by the sex. With my daughter I didn't have an ultrasound until a couple hours before she was born (to check out some unexplained bleeding).
It's funny to me how people didn't get it, not having an U/S.
I've already had an U/S with this pregnancy, to look for fibroids and to get good dates (my cycles were really short and unpredictable). That will probably be it unless something else comes up and the midwife feels it's a good idea.
#85 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Hopefully I'll be having just two: one for the nuchal fold test, and another at 20 weeks to find out the sex (I have to know!!!). Last time I had a bunch of extra us's toward the end b/c baby went almost 3 wks overdue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page