Ultrasounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how many of you are planning on getting an ultrasound (or ultrasounds)? If so, when? I had 2 with my first child, but my midwife only orders them when she feels it's absolutely necessary. I've heard mixed things regarding the safety of ultrasounds. Does anyone want to speak on this? From the research I've done, (I'll be a certified Bradley childbirth instructor in October), it looks like while no short term negative effects of ultrasounds have been proven, the jury is still out on the long term effects of ultrasounds. So are y'all having one anyway? Just curious!

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

I had at least 4 when I was pregnant with my ds. I have a very large grapefruit size fibroid whilst pregnant (fibroids grow during pregnancy due to the increase of estrogen) They wanted to make sure my son was alright and monitor the fibroid closely. Because of the size of it, getting accurating measuring of my belly was very difficult, hence the numerous ultrasounds.

I imagine I'll be getting a few with this pregnancy as well as the fibroid might grow large again.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM

I tend to have lots while pg, too, but that's due to past pg complications. I'm the exception amongst my girlfriends, though -- most either don't have any or just the one about halfway through, usually to check on anatomy and gender.

I think there is no cut-and-dry answer to this. If the benefit of having an u/s outweighs the risk, then clearly it's a good idea. When there's no medical reason for one, then I think you should really consider how important it is to you, b/c no one really needs unnecessary medical interventions.

But on this particular issue, I guess I have a bit more empathy for those people who are just simply deeply curious and "want to know." Frankly, in the scheme of far more serious medical interventions that are possible, I'm not going to condemn them for that. Some women, myself included, actually feel much more deely bonded to their babies after seeing them on u/s and if they know which gender they are expecting. So although my u/s's have been deemed medically necessary, who's to say I wouldn't have chosen to have one even if they weren't? I think I might have.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM

I plan on having one, maybe two. DD was born with a true knot in her cord, and even though we might not be able to tell on the u/s if that has happened again, DH wants to check anyway.
And we may find out the gender this time around while we're at it. We haven't decided yet.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

I plan on at least two. a 20 wk one to determine sex, and I'd also like to do one in the first tri to measure gestational age and make sure that little heart is beating.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM

I'll most likely have a 20 week anatomy scan. My sonographer is a dear friend, and I'm in her office a couple times a month as I always attend sonos with my clients. I must admit, it might be awfully temping to do a quick heartbeat check when I'm in there next week with one of my clients.

I've done lots of research as well, and taken several workshops on the subject, and I'm in the middle on the issue. I don't think it should be used in place of palpation, etc. (some docs in this area do scans at each prenatal, uggh!).

But I'm not super-anti-u/s either. I offer a 20-week anatomy scan to all my clients, and most do have one, but some choose not to. Just like I offer doppler (which is ultrasound) to listen to the heartbeat, and most do, but some choose not to, and prefer that I use a fetoscope.

I don't offer a first-trimester u/s routinely, although if a client asks me if she can have one for peace of mind, I certainly will get her in. But my most common reasons for u/s are: 20 week anatomy and BPPs for post-42-week mamas.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM

We will not be having any at all, unless we suspect something is wrong.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We will be having one when I am 6w5d to put my mind at ease. I imagine I will only have two total then (the other one at 20w to determine gender). I've heard enough evidence that a couple don't seem to be too bad and after what happened to me last time, I really want to make sure everything is going as it should (last time I wouldn't have even known anything was wrong as we only found out from the u/s - by 12 weeks I still was not spotting or cramping on my own and I'm sure it would have gone on for at least a few more weeks that way).

Who knew (before you experience it first handedly) that pregnancy can be so frightening?

Sticky Healthy Baby dust to us all!

Michelle

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM

I will be having several, starting next week at 6w4d. I did fertility treatments and that's part of the reason. I'll have at least 3 before being released from the RE.

I'm not worried about it. Actually, I'm kind of excited!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM

i have one scheduled for next week, when i will be 6w2d. i need to see if there is a hb, as i lost one early in my 1st pg but didnt know until 22 weeks when it had developed into a hydatiform mole. i also had twins with my last pg, and i need to know how many there are as well. i have been cramping with this one and know from experience that my body doesnt naturally expel a doomed pg so i want to know sooner rather than later if this one is blighted or if there are twins again. i am not really comfortable with the safety of ultrasound, tho, so may not have another if everything is well. definitely would like to limit it to no more than 2, for sure.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM

i think we are just going to have one at 20 weeks...unless it's needed otherwise..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Well, we definitely want to find out the sex, so we'll likely do one around 20 weeks. I'm not sure about doing more. I'm not particularly worried about them, so we'll see...

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bebe View Post
I will be having several, starting next week at 6w4d. I did fertility treatments and that's part of the reason. I'll have at least 3 before being released from the RE.
: My first one is tomorrow (5w 4d?). I'm nervous to find out if it's twins or just one and to make sure it's really real. They won't release me from the RE until I see a heartbeat, then I'll try and find a midwife. It will be a bit odd to go from the highly invasive/medical fertility treatment route to the non-interventionist midwife route, but I'm excited!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM

No routine ultrasounds for us, and no doppler either.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 PM

No ultrasounds for us unless medically necessary. I feel like the less we do, the more "zen" I will be able to be, if that makes any sense. I know my SIL will be disappointed since she's a ultrasound tech and she did an ultrasound on our last baby.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
I think there is no cut-and-dry answer to this. If the benefit of having an u/s outweighs the risk, then clearly it's a good idea. When there's no medical reason for one, then I think you should really consider how important it is to you, b/c no one really needs unnecessary medical interventions.

But on this particular issue, I guess I have a bit more empathy for those people who are just simply deeply curious and "want to know." Frankly, in the scheme of far more serious medical interventions that are possible, I'm not going to condemn them for that. Some women, myself included, actually feel much more deely bonded to their babies after seeing them on u/s and if they know which gender they are expecting.
:

I will be having a "nuchal fold scan" @ 11 wks (as part of the 1st tri genetic screening) & probably the 20 week one. Not sure if we'll find out the gender or not. We'll listen to the heartbeat on doppler until it can be heard on a fetoscope & then just the fetoscope until I'm in active labor, when the doppler certainly comes in handy
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
: My first one is tomorrow (5w 4d?). I'm nervous to find out if it's twins or just one and to make sure it's really real. They won't release me from the RE until I see a heartbeat, then I'll try and find a midwife. It will be a bit odd to go from the highly invasive/medical fertility treatment route to the non-interventionist midwife route, but I'm excited!
I wonder what it will be like to go to a "normal GYN" after so many years of special treatments and frequent appointments. As it stands now, my last beta was 5 days ago and I'm feeling funny about not having seen the RE in so long. Next week's ultrasound can't come soon enough!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM

The midwife I'm most likely going to see only does the 20 week u/s. My friend goes to her and she got an early u/s because she was spotting but that's not the mw's standard practice. I'm kind of disappointed that I won't get to have an early u/s because I lost my first pregnancy and so I'm always a nervous wreck the first few weeks! I went to an OB with DS though and actually had 4 ultrasounds!! They did two early ones, the 20 week, and one at 30 weeks when I was measuring a few weeks ahead.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm thinking 2-- One next week to see how many there are and check for heartbeats (I had 3 follicles when I was given the hCG trigger) and the 20 week anatomical scan. I was a NICU nurse and even though I intellectually know that the congenital defects I saw were rare, it would still give me great peace of mind (although I am also very aware that things can and do get missed on U/S). Plus, I'm just not patient enough to wait the full 40 weeks to find out if it's a girl or boy .
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
I'm thinking 2-- One next week to see how many there are and check for heartbeats (I had 3 follicles when I was given the hCG trigger) and the 20 week anatomical scan. I was a NICU nurse and even though I intellectually know that the congenital defects I saw were rare, it would still give me great peace of mind (although I am also very aware that things can and do get missed on U/S). Plus, I'm just not patient enough to wait the full 40 weeks to find out if it's a girl or boy .
former PICU nurse here, so I know what you mean about the anomalies.

I will probably have them at each prenatal visit because I am very high risk and had a really complicated pregnancy last time. First one will be August 19th- I should be 6w5d.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM

I would not be getting any unless medically needed or something seems wrong. I didn't have any w/ DS. I am also not into knowing the sex, and since I plan to have between 3-4 children, I don't care if I have a next boy again for this pregnancy (I would like to have at least one sex of each though). Weird but I was actually hoping a boy this time and then a girl next time would be great (or 2 girls after) but that is just wishful thinking. Whatever sex I get I am fine with. My first pregnancy I did want a boy though.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM

I'll be getting one on Sept. 3rd (so around 8 weeks) to check for heartbeat, and then at 20 weeks. I have the chance to do one between 11-14 to do a nuchal translucency, so we may do that.

I had a total of three with DD, and it didn't seem to creat any problems for her. The third one was actually kind of funny; I started having horrible gall bladder pain around 30 weeks, so I went in for an ultrasound of that area to see if I had gallstones. The US tech was so sweet, and I said, "Can we just peek at the baby? I think she flipped head-down last night so it would be neat to see!" She was so excited because she had previously been a prenatal ultrasound tech and said she missed seeing the babies. So we did a quick scan and determined that she was head-down, and that she was in fact still a girl.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM

I admit to having totally lost any faith I once had in u/s as a good means of screening for anomalies. FWIW, I had numerous u/s's w/Sophia and not one showed anything off at all. And yet she most certainly has Down Syndrome! Don't get me wrong -- even if we had known ahead of time, we wouldn't have done anything differently, she is seriously the best thing to ever happen to our family -- but I will also never look at u/s in the same trusting way again. It's good for telling gender and can find extremely obvious defects, but I find it useless for much else. I can't tell you how many moms of kiddos w/DS tell me that routine u/s missed both the DS AND their children's very serious heart defects. Eeek!

It's funny, you know, I was never a big fan of prenatal testing and have never done them before (quad screen/nuchal fold scan/CVS/amnio), but I admit that I am reconsidering that stance now, not b/c I'm afraid of having another child w/DS (we'd actually welcome one, to tell you the truth), but b/c I am now just far too aware of all the OTHER genetic abnormalities out there that are far, far worse and are often incompatible with life. So I find myself in something of a conundrum, since I'm still very much against CVS/amnio, which would provide the only definitive answers, and yet my innocence about how everything usually "turns out just fine" has been forever removed.

Anyone understand what I mean?

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Guin-

As a mother of two special needs children I get what you are saying. However, I still wouldn't (and don't) want to know if my unborn child has an genetic abnormality even if it isn't compatable with life.

I think knowing about my child's abnormalities would only hinder the bonding experience that I would have with my baby while in utero. I think that the worry, doubt, and fears would take my peaceful happy pregnancy (the time when I would be bonding with the unborn one) and turn it into something unenjoyable and painful.

If a child is meant to be born and die shortly afterward, then there isn't much I can do to stop that and at least I had the happy, blissfully ignorant nine months to get to know my baby. (even if it was just in utero)

Carol
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 PM

I am hoping to keep them at a min. I do want an early ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy is viable (i've had 3 recent miscarriages). I also have an inkling that there could possibly be 2, and I'd rather know sooner than later. I will also have a late ultrasound (past 30 weeks) to check for placental placement if we go the homebirth route.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Wow, Guin...I never thought about it from that perspective. I always assume tests are going to be false positives rather than false negatives - especially with stuff like this. I am not doing a triple (or quad) screen because I have heard so many stories of false positives and the grief that ensues.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend of mine had her 20-week ultrasound and they found a major heart defect with their unborn babe, so it has been incredibly helpful for them to know ahead of time, because the baby will need complicated surgery within a few days of birth, so they have now arranged for the best care possible and know exactly how and when everything will happen. So for them, I think it was a blessing to be able to know ahead of time.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM

*Amy*- My oldest son was born with a heart defect that wasn't found on ultrasound. He had to have open heart surgery when he was two days old, and again at two years old. I think for us it was a blessing that we DIDNT know about it before hand. We only had to worry post-partum, and not the entire time I was pregnant. He pulled through fine without us knowing though, and I am sure my feelings would probably be different if it had turned out otherwise.

Carol
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 PM

It's a difficult situation because I've seen it all ways--

False positives: Baby's fine, mother spent time worrying unnecessarily, changed birth plans, all for what ended up to be no reason.

False negatives: I've seen anomalies so great that you have to wonder if the person doing the ultrasound had their eyes closed (I'm talking about a baby where 3 out of 4 of her limbs were malformed/ almost missing, had no kidneys or bladder).

And, mostly, positive positives-- the u/s was right on, there was a problem requiring intervention and treatment.

Heart defects are particularly tricky because there are different levels of fetal echos available and unless you have a "risk factor" then you often aren't referred for a higher level scan (here is an interesting website that talks a bit about this). I can't tell you how many times, during my 3.5 years in the NICU (and occasionally floating down to the Pediatric Cardiac ICU) I saw babies with major heart defects that weren't picked up on u/s-- AND most of them were born in hospitals and had newborn exams and still the defect (or murmur) wasn't picked up. It wasn't until they went home and "fell apart" and were brought to an ER that the defect was found.

For me, the reason I chose to have the anatomy scan done, is not because I think it is fool proof, but because there are several anomalies that exist that are treatable and the difference between life and death is heavily dependent on where the child is born. I choose to do it, knowing that it might not catch something (even something major) and knowing that it could cause unneccessary worry (or false reassurance)-- because, in the end, I want to feel like I've done my "due diligence."

But I totally understand why other people make other choices.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 PM

I had an ultrasound at 4w3d because I started bleeding the day after I got my BFP and the doctor wanted to confirm everything was ok. I am also getting one next week at 6w4d to make sure everything is still ok (along with an HCG test). I have been spotting since a couple days after I ovulated so I am looking forward to finding out if things are progressing along as they should be. I think I would also like to find out the gender at some point (haven't decided yet).

7/2008 & 05/2010
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 AM

I wouldn't think of having one other than to find out the gender - and we want this baby to be a surprise.

BUT... I'm worried about my eggs being a bit past their expiration date.

IF I do a quad screen, I'm sure I'll have the nuchal one. I've had at least one with every pg so far, so it seems weird not to have one... I love "seeing" the baby. And I'm in the middle, too, when it comes to the dangers, etc. So I'm not swayed either way there. But I'm torn about all the false positives, and the thought of CVS makes my skin crawl. (I had an amnio with baby 2 and that was no picnic- it was one of those false negative things, they thought something was wrong with his kidney, but he was fine.) But if I found out that there was something wrong with this baby (i.e. incompatible with life) I would probably terminate. Probably. I think. And seeing as I'm 38, time is rather of the essence in terms of having this last baby...

*sigh*

Decisions, decisions...

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever

User Tag List