Weekly Chat: August 7 to August 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, let's do weekly chats instead of starting a new thread for all the random and fun things we want to talk about.

My weird thing is that I had a dream last night that I was smoking a cigarette (which I don't in real life, but did in my 20s), and then I remembered I'm pregnant! I panicked for a second and then thought, "Eh, one cigarette isn't going to hurt." The craziest thing is that I had *many* cigarette smoking dreams while I was pregnant with DD, the same as this one. I still can't really figure out what they are about.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Amy that's funny! Your sub-concious is playing tricks on you.

So I was going to start a "confessions of a pregnant mama" thread, but we can chat about that here. What are you doing that's not *quite* ideal?

Tonight I had a small DQ Blizzard (made w/ soft serve ice cream- listeria risk). I probably won't eat anymore soft serve for the rest of my pregnancy, but today DQ is donating their profits from Blizzards to Childrens Miracle Network & I couldn't resist
#3 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Hey, let's do weekly chats instead of starting a new thread for all the random and fun things we want to talk about.

My weird thing is that I had a dream last night that I was smoking a cigarette (which I don't in real life, but did in my 20s), and then I remembered I'm pregnant! I panicked for a second and then thought, "Eh, one cigarette isn't going to hurt." The craziest thing is that I had *many* cigarette smoking dreams while I was pregnant with DD, the same as this one. I still can't really figure out what they are about.
I used to be a smoker, but never had smoking dreams. These started up for me after becoming pregnant and I'd wake up with this horrible sense of guilt and think that I really had been smoking. It took me awhile to realize that my roommate's (who still smokes--outside, of course) cigarette smoke was drifting in my open window on occasion. yuck.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM

I eat soft served ice cream. But not much since I'm lactose intolerant. I am, however, planning to have ONE drink on my 21st birthday this Saturday. I deserve it.

Who is planning a home birth? I'm hoping for one if I can make it to term this time. I really really don't want another micro preemie.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#5 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 PM

I had coffee yesterday....I justified it by the fact I tested positive at only 10 dpo.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#6 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokimari View Post
Who is planning a home birth?
Me! Everyone says I'm unlikely to have the same problems I did w/ my 2nd pregnancy, so hopefully I'll be able to have a boring, term homebirth just like my 1st

Bri I hope you make it to term too! Do you know why Kimari was a micro-preemie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I had coffee yesterday....I justified it by the fact I tested positive at only 10 dpo.
Wow, 10po is awesome!

I have 1 cup of coffee 5 days/week
#7 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Sigh. I miss coffee. I've been good since my blood pressure has the tendency to run a little high...not so much since going of bcp, unless I'm at the dr. I have dreaded white coat syndrome. Hopefully going to a birth center will be a more relaxing process. Awhile back I had an ambulatory bp test to make sure I didn't have high blood pressure and it was fine...sit me down in a dr. office and it goes through the roof.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#8 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm planning my second homebirth.

Added to the list of "people who know" today was my daughter's daycare provider. She asked me when I dropped Neela off today if we were expecting another baby, since Neela has been talking about it all the time. The strange thing is that Neela only goes twice a week, so she hasn't seen her since we found out. I guess Neela has been obsessively telling strangers about the new baby for a while already, even before we knew!

No pregnant mama confessions yet. But I'm really savouring these weeks of feeling great, since I thing I started feeling kind of tired and lost my appetite at 7-8 weeks last time. Right now I'm enjoying the same very early pregnancy "symptom" as I had last time- an increased sex drive

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#9 of 80 Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
But I'm really savouring these weeks of feeling great, since I thing I started feeling kind of tired and lost my appetite at 7-8 weeks last time. Right now I'm enjoying the same very early pregnancy "symptom" as I had last time- an increased sex drive
That's great! I've had hyperemesis w/ both of my pregnancies, so I should be happy that I'm feeling really good now. But I don't have any symptoms at all... just some sore boobs would help me feel less anxious that this is the real deal. I just have to keep reminding myself that my symptoms didn't really begin w/ the other two until 6-8 weeks. Sigh.

Anyone else not feeling any symptoms yet?
#10 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm feeling very mildly nauseous-- and only really if I take my prenatals on an empty stomach or go too long without eating. And my breasts and nipples are sore. And I have occasional little twinges in the ovary/ uterus area. Other than that, no symptoms .

I'm enjoying the lack of morning sickness while it lasts, because I'm pretty sure I will have it-- I get motion sick very easily normally, so I can't imagine that I'm going to get through pregnancy without m/s.
#11 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 03:24 AM

So... with the not eating soft cheeses, does that include cheese made with pasteurized milk?
#12 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 AM

Anyone else not feeling any symptoms yet?[/QUOTE]

Me, I was so sick with my girls right away, and I feel fine so far with this one. It is funny because I don't want to be sick, but feeling fine makes me nervous.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#13 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Amy, funny you should mention dreams! Last night I had VERY vivid dreams! I had forgotten what a huge part of pregnancy that is! In my dream I was chasing a komodo dragon through a parking lot, LOL.

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#14 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Aimsley & Jen,

I'm also not feeling very many symptoms, which is so strange since with my last son I remember feeling symptoms right away and the morning sickness was nearly debilitating from the get-go. I didn't find out I was pregnant last time until I was already 6 weeks. With this one, I found out around 4 weeks. Maybe that has something to do with it? Right now I am 5 weeks pregnant.

Symptoms I've felt so far are fatigue, a seriously heightened sense of smell, being more emotional than usual, sore breasts, and last night I had acid reflux for the first time...

~Rebecca

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#15 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM

I have been feeling gross all week now. The real m/s started right before 6 weeks. I had a dream I was throwing up on myself and then woke up in a panic before having to run to the bathroom. Just what I wanted at 3am, haha. My super nose has totally kicked in which has contributed a lot to the all day nausea. I do love my newly pregnant boobs though, as does DH. I wear lots of wrap dresses and things that dip down and I've had to start wearing cami's underneath because if not, I feel like I'm just about to fall out. I've never been chesty so it's a nice change.

I am hating cramping though. This week I've had lots. DH and I dtd and it was sooo great, up until those few seconds right afterwards when you really really just want to lay there, when I got super painful cramps and nausea at the same time. So now I'm afraid to dtd. It was just so stressfull afterwards too b/c the pain was enough to make me think something terrible was happening. They come and go throughout the day but those ones feel much less painful and I can easily reassure myself that it's just my uterus growing.

Almost 7 weeks for me!

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#16 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 AM

I've got the all day nausea too. In my second PG "morning sickness" lasted more than half the pregancy; I'm really hoping not to have that again. Right now I can manage it if I eat something small every two hours or so.

Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 34, and my youngest (well youngest for now) turns 5 today! Time goes by too fast :

We're meeting with a midwife next Tuesday, I'm so excited!!

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#17 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I miss my morning coffee terribly, and I've stopped drinking it, not b/c I'm trying to be "good," b/c I only ever have 1 cup per day, but b/c the smell and taste of coffee make me ill in early pg. It's so sad b/c I usually LOVE coffee, that one fragrant, sweet, creamy, delicious cup a day is often the highlight of my entire morning! That was actually my first real "sign" this time around -- I couldn't figure out why it tasted SO disgusting and bitter and actually accused DH of having switched brands on me secretly, lol. Poor DH!

I don't have many symptoms yet, either. First thing in the morning, like right now, actually, I've been waking up totally nauseated, but it usually calms down after some toast and peppermint tea. Two days ago, I fell asleep sitting upright in a chair in late afternoon b/c I was so exhausted, but then yesterday I went on a back-to-school-clothes organizational tear and completely re-organized the littlest two girls' room, and folded and matched all the dipes and doublers, so what was that? Slug mama one day and Wonder Woman the next. Wonder what today will bring...

I'm so up and down with symptoms right now, and I agree with the rest of you that while I don't want to be sick, it's also more reassuring when I am. DH and I went out last night to celebrate our news (apart from three of my gfs, we're still the only ones who know) and we went to the same Asian fusion restaurant where we made the official decision to TTC this baby, back in October of last year, so that was a nice full circle. However, I suspect my notorious chicken-aversion in the first trimester is starting to kick in, b/c normally I can't eat enough of their Thai Kung Pao Chicken, and last night, while the flavor was yummy as always, the texture put me off completely, and I couldn't finish the last few pieces b/c I had the strangest urge to gag. So guess I need to go through our menu plan for the next month or so and take chicken off the menu. This strong YUCK feeling has been the same through every one of my pregnancies, and it doesn't let up until I'm well into the 2nd trimester. Weird, huh?

I'm flying to Chicago next week (alone, too, wow!) to visit my brother and SIL and my brand-spanking-new baby neice (their first baby.) My dad and stepmom will be there, too. I wasn't planning on telling them yet, particularly my parents (and their reaction is not likely to be particularly positive, it hasn't been in the past,) but I'm concerned about being able to keep it a secret, too. My parents will seriously wonder why I'm not drinking coffee in the mornings and wine with dinner (they are both big wine-with-dinner drinkers.) I was doing Weight Watchers before I got pg, so I suppose I could try and explain it away using that as an excuse, but they're pretty sharp about that sort of stuff. What to do? I may have no choice but to confess.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#18 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Guin,

I think we'll be telling everyone tomorrow when they are here for my son's birthday party. My parents are trying to organize a family trip to Florida in late Feb/ early March and want to know by tomorrow what will work for us. I'm really don't want to travel alone with three kids at 34w PG (Dh most likely wouldn't be able to go) So it looks like we'll have to tell.

I'm not sure that they'll be super excited either; heck, DH is still trying to come to terms with having 4th baby.

My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#19 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Well, I know I'm pregnant, and those 20 HPTs I took aren't all lying, because last night I was in bed craving frozen mayonnaise on a stick.

Yep, I wanted to taste some real mayo, but didn't want the texture of eating a bowlful, so I was thinking up how I could taste if for a continued time without dealing with the gloppy-ness. And then it dawned on me, I could use our Popsicle molds and make mayo on a stick. The only problem was it would take too long to freeze, and as I rationed last night, this morning, the craving has passed.

We told my in-laws last night by giving them the GRANDKIDS picture frame with all the grandkids plus our pregnancy test (I'll have to figure out how to post it). They loved it and were genuinely thrilled. Which was REALLY nice, because the first two times we were pregnant, they were less than thrilled (we had our first two kids pretty much back-to-back very soon after we got married, and they thought we were "rushing' both times.)
#20 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
So... with the not eating soft cheeses, does that include cheese made with pasteurized milk?
If it's pasteurized, it's fine.

Quote:
I suspect my notorious chicken-aversion in the first trimester is starting to kick in.....This strong YUCK feeling has been the same through every one of my pregnancies, and it doesn't let up until I'm well into the 2nd trimester. Weird, huh?
Same here! Hasn't kicked in yet this pregnancy, but I had major chicken-aversion with both my other pregnancies during the first trimester. I wouldn't even let me husband order chicken off the menu at a restaurant, because having it on the table would just turn my stomach.
#21 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM

I want sweet potatoe muffins. I wish I had the energy to make some.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#22 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 PM

ANYONE ELSE NOT HAVING SYMPTOMS

I can very much relate to this one. It seems as though I had a mess of symptoms right when the hcg was introduced (so to speak) and now even my breast tenderness has greatly reduced. I do get nausea if I am hungry or have an empty stomach at all (sigh, perpetual eating makes it difficult to stay within the suggested weight gain limits, lol). In fact I had mentioned this same thing to my DH that I would feel so much better if I just had some morning sickness!

I am glad to know that many of us are going thorugh the same thing here, puts my mind at ease

Partner to DPshamrocksmile.gif SAHM to DS(8)guitar.gif, DD (4)blahblah.gif, and DD (oct 12) babyf.gifcountry livin', baby-led weaning, homeschooling, co-sleeping family
#23 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Well, I know I'm pregnant, and those 20 HPTs I took aren't all lying, because last night I was in bed craving frozen mayonnaise on a stick.

Yep, I wanted to taste some real mayo, but didn't want the texture of eating a bowlful, so I was thinking up how I could taste if for a continued time without dealing with the gloppy-ness. And then it dawned on me, I could use our Popsicle molds and make mayo on a stick. The only problem was it would take too long to freeze, and as I rationed last night, this morning, the craving has passed.
: i laughed myself to tears when i read this. good thinking last night, lol. you'd probably puke in the morning if you tried one, lol.

Mama to 3 boys 

#24 of 80 Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Frozen mayo on a stick! No offense, but blech!!

Mamato2boys, good luck with the announcement.

We're off to visit some family and celebrate my grandma's 95th birthday this weekend. I suspect that my daughter with tell the whole family the "big sister" news. Though she has been talking about being a sister since before we found out, so depending on the situation we might just laugh it off.

I'm also not feeling any symptoms yet, and gleefully so. My daughter (who will be three in November) is at a really awkward stage with her sleep right now. She is skipping her nap some days, but with incredibly cranky evenings where she begs to go to bed at 5:30 or so. But on the days that she does nap it's a struggle to get her to sleep and she'll often be awake until almost 10pm. She'll then sleep in the next morning, skip her nap the next day and the cycle repeats... I've just started working a day job, and both situations suck- if she's cranky all evening and goes to bed early I don't get to spend any good time with her. On the nights she's up late I'm so exhausted by the time she falls asleep, and have often been falling asleep before she does! I hope this situation settles before first trimester exhaustion sets in.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#25 of 80 Old 08-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Frozen mayo on a stick... EWWWWW!!!

I wasn't feeling any smyptoms until this week (seven weeks) and now both yesterday and today I have woken up and threw up.

I never really did have morning sickness with my other pregnancies.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#26 of 80 Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 AM

ahahahaha! frozen mayo on a stick! you ARE pregnant... too funny.
though, somehow I feel like it would sell at our MN state fair...haha
#27 of 80 Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisafiin View Post
ahahahaha! frozen mayo on a stick! you ARE pregnant... too funny.
though, somehow I feel like it would sell at our MN state fair...haha
Speaking of state fairs, the family went to the WI State Fair yesterday.

I have NEVER been to a State Fair in the midwest.. wow oh wow.. It was HUGE!

And, I have never seen so many fried things.

Fried Pickles
Fried Oreos
Fried Twinkies
Fried Smores
Fried Mac & Cheese
Fried Green Tomatoes

It was nuts!

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#28 of 80 Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Morning mama's!

We're getting ready for our youngest's birthday party this afternoon. I'm feeling really nervous about telling our family. I know that 4 kids is going to seem like a TON to all of them; I'm really hoping that everyone keeps any negative views to themselves and just congratulates us

MelW I hope the sleep situation works itself out soon!

#29 of 80 Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Oh! I am so!! excited!!! to be here!!! :

The smoking dreams remind me of the ones I had with when I was pg with my dd, I would be drinking a beer- in my dream!! (which I craved like crazy, along with Vegemite) and in my dream I would suddenly remember I was pg and then think "I'll just drink the rest really fast and no one will know", as if that's the point!

I just got my postive beta yesterday, wondering if it's possible that I've got the nausea already or if I am just fooling myself so I have an excuse to eat white noodles with butter and lots of salt...

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#30 of 80 Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM

mmm. noodles with butter and salt....and parmesan, yum.

But I just found out I have gained 3 and a half pounds since Monday:
This really seems excessive! Strange because last time I could not gain weight no matter how I tried and this time I am purposefully staying away from desert and most all sweets. and I cut out sodas which i was drinking a lot of before. Has anyone else gained weight already? I have to stop getting filet-o-fish now, i guess that's what did it. i thought i was okay; i never get fries. books say that excessive early weight gain is a sign of twins but as i said i had twins last time and didn't gain any in the 1st trimester with trying to. how much weight have you gained?

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page