Supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone taking?

Right now I'm taking a prenatal and omega 3. I'm waiting for some herbs I ordered to get here alfalfa, nettle, oatstraw and RRL to make tea.

I'm also adding blackstrap molasses to my daily smoothie.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Right now I am taking New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal. I took them with my last pregnancy (not religiously at the end though) as they are expensive but it they have made some improvement

Old one: $50 for 1 month, 6 HUGE pills every day

New one: $60 for 2 months, Pills are half the size and only have to take 3

It is a wholebase food thing I believe and have most of the herbs you mention plus more.

I do have the RR herbs, Red Clover and Nettle but they are from my last pregnancy and I am not sure if I should use them.

I do plan on making a menu for myself so I can skip out on taking the Prenatals at times. I prefer food to them.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I'm taking a prenatal, omega-3, B-complex and extra folic acid...
Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Read my blog for my 'pic n' mix' selections! lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Rainbow Light 1 a day Prenatal and Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega.

What is the deal again w/ RRL tea? Why do people drink it? How much? And when during your pregnancy?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
Read my blog for my 'pic n' mix' selections! lol
Going to read it now. I was also wondering if I could use multiple stuff as I find my prenatals are expensive but I really like all the things they have in.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm taking Pre-Natal vitamins and Flax seed.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm taking a prescription pre-natal (cheaper than otc w/insurance) and extra calcium (I don't do cow milk or cheese) and salmon oil.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 PM

I am also taking New Chapter Organics, but it's "Multi for Two", not the same as Dex millie. I'm supposed to take 3 a day, but I am currently taking 1, and eating very well, and a lot of folic-acid-containing foods. It's super expensive....when I bought it, I thought it was 1 a day, so I thought the $50 would last 3 months, but it's supposed to be 3 a day, so it's only 1 month's supply!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Rainbow Light 1 a day Prenatal and Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega.

What is the deal again w/ RRL tea? Why do people drink it? How much? And when during your pregnancy?
Mischievium, you and I are both on the same supplements! I take the Rainbow Light 1 a Day prenatal and the Nordic Naturals Omega :-)

As for Red Raspberry Leaf Tea...it helps tone and strengthen the uterine muscles in preparation for labor. Some women also use it towards the end of their pregnancies hoping for a 'natural induction,' but the jury's still out on whether or not it works for that...my thoughts are that it might help move things along if you're naturally close, but it will do nothing if the baby isn't ready. But I think it's great to have a cup every day. I know a natural birthing mother of 10 children who swears by it :-)

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 PM

So about the RRL tea...if it can have a labor inducing effect at the end how does it not have a m/c causing effect in the beginning? I've also heard it's good to grow a nice strong amniotic sac (which I need this time since DS's sac broke and then labor didn't really get going on it's own) though.

My supps: prenatal, calcium, B6 for nausea, milk thistle for nausea although I don't think it's working! lol, vitamin c to help with absorption of the B6 and also for a strong amniotic sac. I just barely started the B6 last night so hopefully it will help keep the pukies away. I'm getting sick earlier than I did with DS and it got BAD with him so I'm trying to be very proactive this time and do something about it before its debilitating.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM

Right now I am just taking my Prenatal (Trader Joe's ) and 1 cup of RRL tea a day. I also am waiting on some oatstraw, nettles, and alfalfa etc.. so I can make my preg. tea. I won't have those for about a month though. I can't take or any omega 3 pills, they totally hype me up and I can't sleep (I know, I'm so wierd) but I am going to start taking Flax oil as soon as I can get to the store! I will probably start taking a cal-mag supplement as I have an irritable uterus and maybe some b-6 or milk thistle if my morning sickness gets out of hand.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyLissa View Post
So about the RRL tea...if it can have a labor inducing effect at the end how does it not have a m/c causing effect in the beginning?
Good question. I actually asked the same question to my Bradley instructor when I was pregnant with baby #1 and she told me that because its induction effects are so minor and will only help move things along when/if the baby is ready to come, (there are many better and more effective choices for natural induction), it's safe to drink all throughout pregnancy. Red Raspberry Leaf tea is best known for its toning and strengthening of the uterine muscles. Natural things to AVOID this early on would be teas with blue or black cohosh, as they are very potent and can cause early miscarriage (so just be sure to read the labels on the teas you drink).

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM

I'm taking rainbow light just once vitamins and then usng my DHA expexta samples.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM

I'm taking 50mg of B-6 + vit C twice daily, 1 milk thistle casple 3x day & 1/2 Unisom tab (generic) before bed because I have a history of hyperemesis.

Also I take a probiotic, prenatal vit & fish oil (Kirkland brand- I love Costco). If my hyperemesis starts back up, I'll switch to a Flinstones vit + small folic acid tab instead of my prenatals

To my smoothies, I add almond butter, flax seed oil & protien powder. I never thought about adding blackstrap molasses- great idea!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 PM

what does the molasses do? i've been taking my prenatal and flax oil. i have the rrl tea, but wasnt sure if drinking it during early pg was ok.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuhhh3211434 View Post
what does the molasses do?
It's a source of iron that is easily absorbed & non-constipating
Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
It's a source of iron that is easily absorbed & non-constipating
I haven't been thinking of it as a supplement, but I do use blackstrap molasses to sweeten my oatmeal, and in baking, etc.

Right now I'm taking folic acid, an omega supplement, and cal/mag since I suck at getting calcium in my diet right now.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 AM

I guess I forget to name the rest supplements.

I am also taking blackstrap molasses, and the cal-mag liquid as I had leg cramps in my last preg. and that really helped (eating good did too but sometimes I couldn't), cod liver oil and floradix iron once in a while.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM

I am taking Rainbow Light, Cal/Mag and liquid chlorophyll... oh and drinking a pregnancy tea daily.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 AM

I'm still taking my regular vitamins GNC women's ultra mega and GNS 50 B complex, plus fish oil.

i took expecta with my last pg but am avoiding it now. I'm just thinking about the news that came out in the last year about the manufacture of dha/rha for baby formula.
The website for Expecta says this:
Quote:
Expecta LIPIL DHA is made from a non–fish source. It is made with the same DHA source that is in Enfamil LIPIL® infant formula, a product trusted by doctors and moms.
So I will be avoiding it this pg and just taking regular fish oil, even though the aftertaste, just for a second, is enough to make me gag, lol.

I'm looking into taking RRL tea, and I'm really trying to get my diet, which was been very slack lately, back on track.

User Tag List