Interesting day... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my DH and I just moved to the Seattle area and I needed to see a doc to have a non-pregnancy related prescription renewed. So, I did some reasearching and decided on woman doctor who is part of a practice near us (I generally feel more comfortable with women docs). When I called, however, her first available appointment wasn't for several weeks (August = vacation, right?), but they could get me in earlier with one of the male docs in the practice. So, I took the appointment. After we discussed the prescription I needed renewed, he asked if I had chosen an OB yet. I said, "No, I would prefer a midwife, but I have an ultrasound later today to see how many there are, and we'll make a decision after that, as I believe midwives are not allowed to attend twin births in WA state." He responded by giving me the name of a good midwife who is a part of a midwife group affiliated with the same hospital their clinic is-- and then said something about, "unless homebirth is something you're interested in" (implying that he didn't assume I planned to deliver at a hospital). THEN... regarding ultrasound he said (and I am paraphrasing here), "Well, there is no evidence that the routine use of ultrasound improves outcomes, they've kind of become standard because of liability risks and because it's cool to be able to take a peek at the baby in utero..."

Him:
Me:

So... I may have found a primary care physician I like! I mean, I knew that about routine ultrasound, but I was kind of surprised to actually hear the words come out of the mouth of a physician. I wonder what his thoughts on EBF and delayed/ selective vaxing are?

To explain my concern about multiples and why I had an ultrasound today, you have to understand that because of infertility issues, my DH and I ended up needing to do a cycle with clomid, a hCG trigger, and IUI to get pregnant and when they triggered ovulation, I had 3 mature follicles. So, you can imagine how I was a might bit nervous that there might be more than one in there. I wasn't super worried about 2 (although it would have changed who could attend my delivery), but I was terrified of the choices I would have to face if there were 3. Well, I went in for an U/S today -- and there was one little sac, one little blob, and one little heart beating at 132 bpm!

I know it's still early and there might be another little bean hiding, but my intuition says it's only one. So yay! Now to research my midwife options!
#2 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM

How awesome! for that doctor! Wow!

That's the opposite reaction my former gyn who, when I told him that I'd used a midwife for my first pregnancy and planned to do so for all subsequent pregnancies (God willing), he started spewing all these statistics about how dangerous it is and blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I've never been back.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 PM

sounds great! i live in the seattle area too (kirkland). i have a feeling finding a midwife who will do a homebirth for me through group health might be a pain- we'll see how it goes!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#4 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmn... I thought when I was poking around Group Health's info, I found out that they contract with Licensed Midwives... I'm not sure if this link will work, but try clicking here. To get a list of providers specific to your health plan, start at the beginning page of the Provider Directory and tell it which plan you have, then it sould take you to a screen to specify what type of provider you're looking for (click "Women's Health" and it will bring up a button for you to click to pick which kind-- including Nurse Midwives and Licensed Midwives).
#5 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM

aha, thanks ill look!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#6 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Awesome, I'm a Seattlite as well!

And congrats on the good doctor find... what a breath of fresh air to hear that coming from an MD!

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#7 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 PM

everyone has already congratulated you on feeling good about a doctor (which is an awesome thing! yay)!
but i want to congratulate you on your little sweetheart: i am a little worried about ultrasound too but will be having mine weds. i am so glad you got to see your little one's beating heart!
you should change the thread title to a really great day!

Mama to 3 boys 

#8 of 14 Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ms.shell! You're right, it was a great day! I tear up everytime I think about seeing that little flicker on the screen-- seeing that there was a heartbeat made this more real to me.
#9 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Thanks ms.shell! You're right, it was a great day! I tear up everytime I think about seeing that little flicker on the screen-- seeing that there was a heartbeat made this more real to me.
Once again - so happy to see you over here!! : And pretty pleased for myself of course. Congrats on the u/s, I can't wait for mine. And cool doc!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#10 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
Once again - so happy to see you over here!! : And pretty pleased for myself of course. Congrats on the u/s, I can't wait for mine. And cool doc!!

Thanks, CRM! I'm happy to see you here, too!
#11 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Sounds like a great primary doc. and a great ultrasound for you!!! Congratulations and good luck finding a midwife you love!!!
#12 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM

If you do end up with twins, there is at least one midwife that delivers them in seattle (in the hospital) -- Sally Avenson. She also does homebirths for singles.
#13 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaJellybean View Post
If you do end up with twins, there is at least one midwife that delivers them in seattle (in the hospital) -- Sally Avenson. She also does homebirths for singles.
Interesting... I thought it was WA state law, but maybe not? I'll make a mental note of her name in case there ends up being more than one (although my intuition really says "one"-- but my intuition didn't think the IUI would work this cycle, so what does it know ? ).
#14 of 14 Old 08-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Congrats! :

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page