Anyone else already thinking about their nb stash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've never cd'd a newborn and bought a bunch of stuff in March after learning about that pregnancy, so, I have a head start and am similarly impatient this time around. Since finding out about this pregnancy 2 weeks ago, I've purchased 3 new fitted diaper and scored a custom slot on HC today. I'm so excited!!!! I'm also planning to knit all of the new babe's woolies.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#2 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am thinking about it. i havent bought anything yet because i was so sad having to put away things i bought for the twins after i lost them. so i will be waiting to make any purchases. but i have checked out the diaper making forum here and looked at some other stuff online. i also replaced a lot of our white towels and stashed the others with intentions of converting them to dipes.

Mama to 3 boys 

#3 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM

I found a huge stash of newborn prefolds, stacinators and bummis sww's on Craiglist that were brand new (some were worn once and the others were just washed but not used....its literally a brand new stash). The girl was frustrated because they weren't moving and sold it for practically nothing. I'm thrilled. :

I used Kissaluvs and covers when Milena was a newborn but sold them after we quickly outgrew them. I haven't used prefolds before, but am excited to try them. For my big babies, the newborn stage is brief and the Kissaluvs were a bit over the top for the short time we used them.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#4 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM

I've purchased a couple on Craigslist as well. I figure that if I start looking now and am patient, I should be able to find everything that I'll need pretty cheaply. At least, that's my justification to start looking this early.

Mama to George, 04.07.09
#5 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
I found a huge stash of newborn prefolds, stacinators and bummis sww's on Craiglist that were brand new (some were worn once and the others were just washed but not used....its literally a brand new stash). The girl was frustrated because they weren't moving and sold it for practically nothing. I'm thrilled. :

I used Kissaluvs and covers when Milena was a newborn but sold them after we quickly outgrew them. I haven't used prefolds before, but am excited to try them. For my big babies, the newborn stage is brief and the Kissaluvs were a bit over the top for the short time we used them.

XOXO
B
Lucky score! How big are your babies? My first and only was a 9lb'er, but, I think she always looks trimmer than the scale reads for her - so, not sure if the next babe will wear like a 9lb'er (assuming s/he's the same size or, dare I say, bigger ). I didn't start cd'ing her until 9 mos.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#6 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM

I found this great site online for prefolds http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69871475.tip.html. I've been saving terry cloth (towels, robes, etc.) and I sew so I have a lot of cloth that I've been saving. I've also been saving wool sweaters that I've found to make soakers. I think I'm going to hold off starting to make anything until after the first trimester. I have a ton of clothes I bough before becoming pg, but I've been more hesitant to buy things now that I'm actually pregnant. Weird, huh? I don't know if I'm just waiting until I know the gender, or if I feel like if I buy clothes specifically for this real baby and loose it, it will be worse than having the clothes lying around that I bought before being pregnant.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#7 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 PM

I already have a huge nb stash from my last two babies (we switched to cloth when my third was a toddler and I was pg w/#4). But since both were girls, if this one has boy parts, I will definitely knit him up some lovely soakers all his own, since all my boyish wool is size L.

I can't wait to get out and wash up and pet all my nb fluff, though -- seeing those teeny tiny preemie pfs and nb fitteds would make my uterus twitch if I weren't already pg, lol!

See, KL size 0s worked great for us, b/c I've never had big babies -- my largest baby, Charlotte, was only 7 1/2 lbs. And all my kids' body type is long and lean (well, except Sophie, she's short and lean ,) so we get quite a bit of use out of nb sizes before outgrowing them.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#8 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM

I just bought 4 nb fleece covers yesterday. I have been waiting to get nb diapers for a while so I am a bit impatient. I am not going to do tons for the nb stage though. I plan to get 2 dozen GMD orange edge pfs and a few cheap pul covers. Oh, and maybe 3 Very baby AIO's.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#9 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM

i was thinking of nb dipes even before we were ttc. lol. i dont want to buy anything until im close to the end of my 1st trimester, but im super excited for it. lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#10 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Oh yeah, I am ready to buy some Newborn diapers.

However, it seems like all the WAHM's that I loved when my boys were younger aren't making diapers anymore.

So, what's the new rave in WAHM's?

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#11 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes. I didn't cd with dd [love the acronyms!], so I'd like to do better with this one. But I'm waiting a bit to get started, just in case. I'll probably try to make most of them.

Mom of two girls.
#12 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 PM

I'm so excited to get a nb stash going again!!!!! I just bought a nb nanipoo, lol.
I plan to get a huge sustainable babyish order going soon!!! : Fitteds and small flats, mostly, since we have a lot of wool and I knit.
I still need a dozen orange edged GMD prefolds and maybe a few prowraps.
I want another dozen fitteds, maybe KL0s, I haven't decided yet. They seem so so thin though.

What I have for dd that I will keep:
8 MEOS with 3 small thirsties covers
16 BGOS pockets
50ish Mutts (3sr, medium front snaps, medium babyshapes and medium long babyshapes)
about a dozen infant refolds

The rest I will sell when shes outgrows it, like the medium SBish, the Fluffymails, the Very Babys, bamboo prefolds, etc. The Mutts I rotate constantly, replacing one old one for a new one, etc.
#13 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM

I don't have any nb dipes yet but I found some really great small AIOs on diaperswappers for super cheap and just couldn't pass them up. I'm knitting little wool soakers. I am really looking forward to moving b/c right now I just really don't have room to start my stash

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#14 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 AM

Okay, about the crocheted soakers, do you felt them? I've seen some online and I'm like...there's so many holes! Do they leak if you don't felt them? And a lot of the kniteds don't call for felting either...?

#15 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post

See, KL size 0s worked great for us, b/c I've never had big babies -- my largest baby, Charlotte, was only 7 1/2 lbs. And all my kids' body type is long and lean (well, except Sophie, she's short and lean ,) so we get quite a bit of use out of nb sizes before outgrowing them.

Guin
Milena was 8 lbs. 1 oz. but put on weight REALLY fast. She was only in her Kissaluvs for 6 weeks! She was chunky when she was little, but is a tall skinny minny now. I think when she started crawling and esp. starting walking, it all fell off. She used to be in the 90%ile for both height and weight. Now she's 50th for weight and 80th for height.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#16 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Okay, about the crocheted soakers, do you felt them? I've seen some online and I'm like...there's so many holes! Do they leak if you don't felt them? And a lot of the kniteds don't call for felting either...?
I've both crocheted and knit soakers before, and I don't felt either of them; there's no need. The key to no leaks with either one is lanolizing your finished soaker well before you put it on babe. It's the lanolin that will make your soakers waterproof, regardless of "holes."

Anecdotally, I have actually found my crocheted soakers to feel less damp after wearing than my knitted ones, probably b/c the crochet stitch is a thicker stitch. But a nice, thick, bulky wool also knits up pretty thick and therefore has less compression wicking issues. However, I prefer the thicker stitches and types of wool in the form of shorts or longies, and stick to thinner wool or wool covers instead when I'm putting something under clothing; otherwise, it's just too bulky, IMO.

Oh, and for those of you who will be new to cloth, a tip for you that I had to figure out the hard way -- if you plan on buying onsie-type shirts for your babe, plan on buying a size up if babe will be in cloth. This can also hold true for bottoms in general. Or just go with T-shirts instead, which is slowly but surely what I've done to avoid that sizing issue.

HTH,
Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#17 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the tips. My mom's a fantastic crocheter (I can never get my stitches even)...I think I'll see if I can talk her into making a few for under-the-clothes...when we find out the sex.

#18 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm already getting my stash too. i need to make ds some new cd and i'll start making some nb too. i think i might start the baby in disposables and switch to cloth after a few months when i have more time and the first poops are out of the way

here are my fav websites for making your own. its super, super easy

http://www.diapersewing.com/quick_%20and_%20easy.htm
http://diapersewing.wordpress.com/
#19 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 04:05 PM

We just sold off the last of our dipes a few months ago, so I get to start fresh! I have some shorties and longies that I made that were going to be sold, but now I'll keep those

I have no clue what we're going to buy this time. We've always done prefolds and plain white wraps; I'd love to be able to get some cute stuff this time and I'm really liking the look of pocket dipes!

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#20 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 PM

I bought a few small and medium SB when the outlet was open a few weeks ago ($5 a piece baby!!!). I wish I could have bought more but our money was kind of tight that week. I didn't start CDing DS until he was 6 months so I'm starting from scratch for this baby. DS is big so he went right into premium prefolds at 6 months! LOL
#21 of 24 Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM

I am buying a couple BGes a payday until the baby gets here. I am new to CD and am trying not to be overwhelmed with all the choices. I figure worse comes to worst, I will just have to resew some velcro.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#22 of 24 Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

I have about 18 FBs, 25 prefolds and about six covers from when DS was a newborn. When it gets closer, I may want to get more.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#23 of 24 Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 PM

It has been crossing my mind....along with the other 1000 things I have to do!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#24 of 24 Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM

I only got to CD my son for about 6 months. Just couldn't shake the rashes no matter what we tried. I loved the NB dipes though! I bought a TON of everything for him and only ended up liking prefolds and covers. I'll probably do some thirsties and cpf's and then find a good nighttime diaper. I used to use FB's but he would always leak or blow out of them. I need to find something with gussets and a stay dry lining I guess.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page