Migraines and Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it true that most women who normally get "hormonal" migraines don't get them while pregnant? Anyone have any experience with it?

I started getting them after my fourth... so I have no experience being pregnant and having migraines. Just want to know what I might (hopefully?) be able to expect?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 AM

I've met people who have gone either way- migraine free during pregnancy, or have gotten much worse.

Wishing you a migraine-free pregnancy!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#3 of 4 Old 08-14-2008, 11:51 AM

I had them really bad when pg with DS, but I've only had one this time. (knock on wood). I always suffered with migraines, but while in my early twenties, they got better, but came back really bad when I got pg with DS.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#4 of 4 Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Before my first pregnancy, I was on a daily migraine preventative. I had to wean off of it for the pregnancy. (I got all sorts of migraines... barometric pressure trigger, food trigger, dehydration trigger, stress, hormones...) Thankfully, I only got a handful of manageable migraines while pregnant. Then the breastfeeding hormones kept the bad ones away until relatively recently (DD1 is 21 months old). I probably was just getting to the point when I would have considered resuming my meds, except we were going to start TTC. Obviously, I'm here, so still med-free.

It's likely that if your migraines were hormonally-triggered, you may not suffer from them through pregnancy and breastfeeding. However, if you DO experience some, try keeping a food/sleep/stress log and see if you can make any correlations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page