Anyone doing the Bradley Method/diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took Bradley classes last time and loved it. I wondered if anyone else took Bradley classes, is going to, or is following the Bradley diet?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM

I would like to see how the Bradley diet is, as I need to start eating better. I just slanked back because certain foods is no longer apealling to me. My beloved avocado is just sitting their, and some beans smell to vomitess for me. Hopefully these feelings will past soon.

I wish I took the classes but when I was having DS we didn't have the money and we wasn't sure how much we was going to have to pay out of pocket for the HB midwife (but the insurance covered it 100%).
#3 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I am following the diet pretty well when I don't feel sick to my stomach I do have some food aversions- mainly to leafy greens- so that limits that part of the diet but I am eating as much protein as I can handle, the eggs just about every day, and for the most part everything else. I made a checklist to use too so I can monitor what I am eating

I didn't take the classes- took hypnobirthing last time around and it worked for me so I think I just take a refresher a little later in pregnancy.
#4 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I took Bradley the last time and need to dig out my book and notebook to look at the diet again. I could certainly use some assistance in the diet department.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#5 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM

This is my first and I'm 15 weeks. We're about to start bradley classes, and I'm already doing the diet. I have a great spreadsheet I keep track of it on if anyone wants it send me a message. however, I kind of feel like the diet is too much and I'm eating more than I normally would to get in everything, so I've just focused on getting the 100gm of protein, and use the must haves every day as a guideline. I eat the green leafy and the milk and cheese and proteins, but hardly ever get the eggs in.

Anyone else feel like it is ALOT of food?

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#6 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethrw View Post
This is my first and I'm 15 weeks. We're about to start bradley classes, and I'm already doing the diet. I have a great spreadsheet I keep track of it on if anyone wants it send me a message. however, I kind of feel like the diet is too much and I'm eating more than I normally would to get in everything, so I've just focused on getting the 100gm of protein, and use the must haves every day as a guideline. I eat the green leafy and the milk and cheese and proteins, but hardly ever get the eggs in.

Anyone else feel like it is ALOT of food?
It IS a lot of food. And if you eat it, there's no room for junk, dangit!

I try to concentrate on the protein, too, and then avoid the junk as much as I can.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#7 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 PM

I *loved* doing the Bradley/Brewer's Diet the last time I was PG. As someone who is overweight to start with, the diet helped me eat healthy and avoid empty calories. I ended up not gaining a ton of weight (I was actually down a pound at the end of it-only because I had severe morning sickness the first trimester and lost a ton of weight) and my baby was born a healthy weight. My midwife definitely is of the mind that lots of white sugar=a bigger baby!

In any case, I have pretty bad morning sickness with this PG (not as bad as before) so I'm going to start as soon as I can stomach some food.

If you google "brewer's diet" there's a ton of info out there.

Grace
#8 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 09:22 PM

I took Bradley classes with my first and loved them! There isn't anyone close enough teaching them anymore, but I've still got my books and guides that were handed out.

I'm like Meekola now, still too much M/S to worry about what I'm eating. I'm just glad whenever I do get food down.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#9 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 PM

I have no idea what the Bradley diet IS, but I'm just sticking with my training diet - lots of protein, pretty balanced fruits & veggies, whole grains, no refined sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated anything, nothing I can't pronounce. And it's even better now - very little caffeine, no alcohol... only my sushi choices (great for lean proteing) are very limited now- that used to be a mainstay. I have added more dairy than I usually ingest.

I'm not sure about the bradley diet, but I've always tried to eat this way, and I don't tend to have an appetite for junk food. Until I got m/s - and then it was just whatever I could get to go down. I seem to be recovering from that now.
#10 of 11 Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
I have no idea what the Bradley diet IS, but I'm just sticking with my training diet - lots of protein, pretty balanced fruits & veggies, whole grains, no refined sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated anything, nothing I can't pronounce. And it's even better now - very little caffeine, no alcohol... only my sushi choices (great for lean proteing) are very limited now- that used to be a mainstay.
That's how I SHOULD be eating. *sigh*

Except the sushi... ugh... I hate fish.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#11 of 11 Old 09-21-2008, 03:20 PM

i am meeting my midwife wednesday, and i think she is going to recommend this. she said something about giving me a diet, and then she recommended Bradley classes. I doubt i will be able to follow a diet well- i have never done this before and i dont imagine i will do too well with having everything i eat prescribed. but guidelines might be helpful!
i am also unsure about the bradley classes. they cost $250, for one thing- and i am going to have to pay the midwife and the ultrasound and all the testing out of pocket, plus rent a birth cottage and a thermal pool. and hire a doula, which is what makes me doubt Bradley. While dp wants to be there, I think he would prefer more limited involvement and not quite so much pressure. I definitely will have a doula to take pressure off of him. So then how much does Bradley make sense for us, since it is all about partner coaching? these are, apparently, the only style of natural childbirth classes available around here.
i hope this doesnt constitute a hijack! i just want to know more about this bradley method and whether i should commit to these classes.

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page