Nursing mamas chat week of August 24th - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow...all of these nursing mamas are just fabulous!!! :

I'm currently tandem nursing two girls also (girls...hmmm....?). Natalie is 4.5 and Madeleine just turned two.

I can't nurse them at the same time anymore...it is too creepy, crawly so Natalie has to wait for her turn (and she's usually pretty patient).

Natalie and Madeleine both sleep with me, one on either side, but I've been really putting off Natalie whenever I can, especially before bed (I kind of drag my feet and nurse her sister to sleep first) so Natalie usually just snuggles up behind me and falls asleep, too tired to stay awake and wait to be nursed and so she's not even waking up to nurse at night anymore! :

Madeleine does, but I'm OK to only night-nurse one child right now.

I have been doing lots of delaying Natalie's nursing requests and trying to substitute those with other things, like cow milk, tickles, hugs and kisses, yogurt and when I'm desperate, a Hershey's kiss. If she's really insistent then I'll let her nurse, but usually just for a minute or two. I'm hoping she'll wean during this pregnancy, but I'm hoping that Madeleine will not.

One day at a time, I guess...
#32 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 AM

It's so nice to hear from other preggo nursing mama's who are in a similar boat. DD is 22mos and this pregnancy happened a bit early for us. Seriously I just got my first post-partum period in July.... and bam! Here comes baby
We are pleasently surprised
I currently night-weaned DD and it went well, no meltdowns or anything. I told her the Num Nums are sleeping and she can have them in the morning, she takes a swig of water from her sippy cup and rolls on over to go back to sleep. She is nursing about 3-4x during the day and the inital latch makes me draw my breath in, but then it's fine. So that's my scoop. I looking forward to growing my babe in the company of some other nursing mama's!:

One of the luckiest woman in the world! luxlove.gif

#33 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Are all of you ladies telling your midwife/ob that you are nursing? Did any of them say anything? I know I'm going to tell, and I'm a bit nervous about their reaction.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#34 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM

I told at my nurse intake appointment this week. She had no reaction. Just like, okay, that's nice. It came up because there was a series of questions about how you plan to feed the new baby, if you needed to take a BF class, if you had experience with BF, how long have you BF, etc.

Me: I've been BF for 2 years, and counting!
Intake nurse: Oh, you're still nursing?
Me: Yup!
Intake nurse: Okay... next question.

I guess we'll see next week if the doc has an issue with it. If he does, I'll be armed with my own info though!

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
#35 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
Are all of you ladies telling your midwife/ob that you are nursing? Did any of them say anything? I know I'm going to tell, and I'm a bit nervous about their reaction.
I've found that most OBs in my area are pretty uninformed about breastfeeding during pregnancy. My OB told me that I'd better have my child weaned before week 20 or it could put me into premature labor. And I don't even have any risk factors for premature labor! :

Recommendations about breastfeeding during pregnancy should follow the same recommendations for sexual intercourse/orgasm...ie, if you can have sex during pregnancy then you can breastfeed during pregnancy. (The uterus contracts less during let-down/breastfeeding than during female orgasm.) But not a lot of OBs know this, or care to inform themselves!

I haven't spoken to a MW yet, but I'm sure she's a lot more informed about topics such as this, and will, I'm sure, be very supportive.

I guess it comes down to...do you feel like defending yourself and your choices to your OB? Are you calm under pressure or would the scrutinizing by your OB make you too stressed out? Maybe go into your appointment armed with the newest research so you could possibly leave the appointment having educated your OB about something. Who knows...I could happen....
#36 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM

My midwife said that as long as everything stays normal with the pregnancy that nursing is fine. Of course, we'll have to keep track of how both babies are growing, since my ds is almost five months.

I've started telling people that I'm eating for three. And, new this pregnancy, I realized that I need to SLEEP for two!

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#37 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM

I never should've posted about how well nightweaning was going! I think I jinxed myself. The last two nights have been horrid with lots of wakings and some crying. I'm a zombie. I really should be sleeping now since both kids are.

My MW is totally pro-nursing and doesn't bat an eye about nursing during pregnancy. But she's a crunchy homebirth midwife. I'll get some care at Kaiser so that I can get my lab work done there and have myself in the system in case we need to transfer during the birth. Who knows what the random obs there will say about nursing? The OBGYN I really like comes back from vacation in November and she's pro-homebirth, so with her I can relax.
#38 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
Interesting.... I just noticed that most nursing mamas here are nursing girls. I assume it's just a coincidence, but I wonder if it might possibly mean something else, such as that maybe girls tend to nurse longer?
well, my son nursed until he was around 5y4mo old. and even that wasn't *completely* child-led. i'd nudged and suggested a few times before but he never seemed ready. once he was, it just took one conversation and he was ok with it. anyway, he nursed throughout my pregnancy with ava, even though i dried up at around 4mo. he didn't care that there was nothing coming out, he just wanted the comfort. he was 2yo exactly when we found out i was pregnant, so a bit younger than ava was/is.

ava is actually nursing a bit less than rowan did at this time.
#39 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM

the only concern i ever got from a mw during my pg with ava (re: continuing to nurse rowan) was that i was getting enough down time for me, enough rest, enough hydration, etc. more like "you really have to make sure you take care of yourself since you're breastfeeding as well as creating life in there" sort of a thing. it was all supportive, etc...but with advice.
#40 of 51 Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dd is cutting way back, though I don't really expect her to wean. She'll be 4 in December. We haven't told her about the pregnancy yet, but I have told her that "ana" hurts right now and to be gentle. She's really good about remembering.

We'll see if it comes up in the OB appt. next week.

Mom of two girls.
#41 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM
acp

My first MW appointment is tomorrow, and I plan to tell her. My guess is that she'll be supportive, though. I'm pretty sure DD's doctor (a pretty crunchy family doc who until recently also performed homebirths) would also be very supportive both of my nursing throughout pregnancy and of tandem nursing. However, since i'm pretty sure I *don't* want to tandem nurse, I'm hoping he can give me some suggestions on gentle weaning, and when to do it so that there isn't any lingering resentment once DD sees the new babe nursing.
#42 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not seeing anyone for this pg so no issues there, but if I were, I wouldn't say anything unless I wanted to, I don't feel it's any of their business anyway. If I had a high risk pg then it would different but I don't.

DD2 has been nursing constantly this week, I still have a decent amount of milk so that's not the issue. I cringe when she wants to latch on, latch off.... The night nursing doesn't other me since I'm up all night anyway with insomnia. I think her 2y molars might be finally coming in, hence the increase in nursing. DD1 was 3 when I was pg with DD2 so she was old enough to understand to be gentle, but DD2 doesn't quite get it.

I think I'm going to have to break down and buy my own personal copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I have a copy for my group but all the moms keep passing it around, I haven't seen it this year at all, and I'm thinking that's not going to change anytime soon! I remember with DD2's pg, I had to hoard it for a month just so I could read it again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#43 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm happy to report that dd is totally night-weaned now, and not only that, but now she's sleeping through the night in her own bed! She has been in a twin in her room for about 3 months, but I was in it with her after her first night-waking for the rest of the night. For the past 2 nights, she hasn't even woken up at night, and I'm sleeping all night in my own bed and she in hers!

AND, either I'm getting used to the nipple pain at latch on, or it's lessening already! Or, maybe it was caused by the night-weaning, and not by the pregnancy after all, and now my body is more adjusted? I don't know, but I'm feeling better!

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
#44 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM

i haven't noticed a drop in supply. i did have a low supply for a little while when ds was younger and i took fenugreek and i had more milk than what i knew what to do with. if your supply is low check if fenugreek is safe to take during pregnancy.

what is everyone doing about nipple pain? it was so bad the other day i cut ds off from nursing for the rest of the day. the next day he wanted to nurse and i let him and the pain went away. it just feels like he's biting me but i don't think he's doing anything differently
#45 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Fenugreek is not recommended for use during pregnancy, at least at medicinal dosages. You can have a bit in your food, however.

I spoke to a nurse yesterday at our new doctor's office (we switched) and she asked if I had any health concerns about my 10 month old daughter. I told her that I'm 7 weeks pregnant and worried that my milk will dry up, and she basically said I should be working on weaning her anyway. So, no support there.
I have a midwife appointment next week, hopefully she'll be more supportive.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#46 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

I am so happy I found this thread and this board. I have been on MDC for a while but haven't been around as much and mostly lurk. I am 9 weeks pg and nursing my almost 19 month old DS Noah. He nurses almost constantly, most of it comfort nursing, and many times during the night. I am exhausted and my boobs are so sore! I believe in CLW but I made the decision yesterday to night wean. I am already underweight, have not STTN in more than 2 years and can't continue like this.
I am not comfortable weaning him totally, but I have to stop the constant night nursing. I'm getting majorly touched out. This is going to be so hard because he is so attached to his "neh neh". I don't know how this is going to work.
So glad that you started this thread!
#47 of 51 Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganC View Post
Fenugreek is not recommended for use during pregnancy, at least at medicinal dosages. You can have a bit in your food, however.
Yeah, I think the idea here is that either your body is getting the signals to "make a baby", or getting the signals to "make milk". Usually strong signals telling your body to "make milk" can be detrimental to the signals to "make a baby". Does that "make" sense?

I think that once you're pregnant, about the only safe thing you can do to increase your milk supply is to eat oatmeal...anything else isn't recommended (pumping to increase supply or herbal/medicinal supplementations).

Good luck though!
#48 of 51 Old 08-29-2008, 04:25 PM

I think we're going to be done soon. Kimari still asks to nurse pretty frequently, but she's been running to her high chair almost as often as she runs to me for boob now. And her stools have changed. My milk is definitely leaving. At least she's 18 months old. That was pretty good, right? And there's nothing saying she wont keep trying until the milk comes back. haha.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#49 of 51 Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
acp

I had my first midwife appointment today, and told my midwife I was still nursing. She thought that was great, and didn't give me any special instructions or tell me I need to eat even more, etc. Said she knew women who nursed through their pregnancies and many who weaned along the way. I knew she'd be supportive, but nice to have it confirmed.
#50 of 51 Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't think my milk is changing, but my daughter's interest in nursing seems to be declining. She has a cold (the first one in months) which would normally mean LOTS of nursing, but she only nursed twice yesterday, and twice so far today.

She also asked me if I would be nursing the new baby when it was born, and I told her yes. She thought about it for a while, and told me she would stop nursing in November when she's three, so that the baby could nurse when he (she's convinced it will be a boy) is born in April. I totally hadn't told her she would need to wean for the new baby- it was an idea she seems to have come to on her own.

I have my first midwife appointment next week, and I'll tell her that I'm nursing. I expect support, though, otherwise I wouldn't mention it

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#51 of 51 Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD2 is nursing soo much over the last few days. Tonight my poor, very sensitive nipples couldn't take another marathon nursing, so I told let her nurse for a couple minutes and then told her nee nee had to go night night. She actually climbed down and went to go play with DH! I doubt that will happen very often but it was nice.

I've taken to sleeping with a bra because my breasts hurt so much.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page