Nursing mamas chat week of August 24th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought we could start a chat thread each week. I'm still nursing my 18 month old, and she shows no signs of stopping. I nursed dd1 through my entire pregnancy with dd2 and then tandem nursed until dd1 self weaned last november. I don't have much nipple pain as long as she is simply nursing. She's a nipple twiddler which is getting painful though. My supply is already dropping and dd2 will pull off and sign milk while saying ma, ma. I think she is frustrated with not getting much milk. I usually have quite a bit for her. Anyway, I could use the support as there were some bumps in the road last time.

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM

My daughter (2 3/4) has become disinterested in nursing on my right breast, which has always had less supply. I sometimes remind her to please do the other one (she always starts with the left), and yesterday I "made" her nurse on the right before she could use the left because it was getting sooo full and engorged.

We're only nursing 2-4 times a day, so it's really quite manageable. And I'm having a little nipple tenderness but no pain right now.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the thread! What a great idea. I know I'm going to need the support.

I'm 6wks 3 days, nursing my 10 month old daughter. No tenderness or pain at all yet, and my supply seems normal so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay that way.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This thread is a great idea!

Ds2 turned 3 last week. He doesn't seem to notice any difference in my milk. I've re-night weaned him, though, and it's going GREAT!! He was quasi night weaned beefore summer, but then we were travelling, etc. so it just was easier to nurse him whenever. Now we're back home and getting ready to get back into our routines, so it was time (and I was getting no sleep because his night appetite).

H asked me the other day, "Isn't it bad for him to be nursing when he's three?" I laughed because I thought he was just pulling another silly trick to try to get me to wean (he doesn't see the point after one year old), but he was actually being honest that he thought that. UGh. He's constantly pressuring me and now he tells ds2 all the time, "3 year olds don't need mama's milk" or "you're a big boy, you don't need mama's milk". It would be nice to have someone sympathetic around for the rough parts. As it stands, though, I am never allowed to complain that I didn't get enough sleep because of nursing, or that I just don't feel like it at any point.

Enough of my rant. I've noticed that the few times I've posted in this ddc, I've totally reamed out my H. Sorry H! You really are a great father! I think it's the hormones. Yes, let's blame it on the hormones
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Well, the nipple pain has subsided, though it's still there. My milk supply, however, has dropped significantly. DD has recently (as in the past week) started sleeping through the night, and I have no engorgement/discomfort whatsoever. 'Course, some of this may be due to the fact that I can no longer stomach the two servings of oatmeal I used to have daily for breakfast!

I thought for sure she'd go past two and then some (she's 21 months now), but now I'm wondering. Then again, she does still nurse frequently (yesterday was only 4 times and I barely knew what to do with myself!!) So we still have a ways to go until she drops all her nursings.

She's always (and boy, do I mean ALWAYS) been a big time comfort nurser, so I'm hoping (kinda, to be honest) she'll stick through the no-milk phase.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

DD1 was a huge comfort nurser too. She was down to 2 nursings a day when I had dd2 but she made it. I think she would have nursed more except that I limited her nursing sessions. I'm hoping to have more patience with dd2 this time since she is a little younger and not much of a comfort nurser. I really want to tandem nurse these two.

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh THANK YOU for this thread. I have been so worried about my dd weaning during the pregnancy and it's great to have moms to talk to about it! This pregnancy was a surprise (a surprise that we're THRILLED about, but nonetheless, we're still adjusting!). We were planning to wait another 3 months until dd is 2 to start trying, largely because of the milk issue. I really want her to get at least 2 years of milk (and was hoping to let her child-led wean). And I'm SO HORMONAL that I'm crying about it daily. Crying and laughing at the same time that is. It's bizarre.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD2 is 22 months and still nursing frequently. So far I have only noticed a slight decrease in milk supply, but have nipple/breast tenderness. I haven't gotten the icky feelings while nursing her yet, I remember it happening really early when I was nursing DD1 through DD2's pg.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:26 AM

DS is 19 months and still nursing quite often when we're home, not as much when we're out and about. I'm definitely having some nipple pain on one side, but mostly just during latching. It seems like he's telling me "all gone" sooner than usual these days. I didn't expect any changes so soon-- I'm only 5 weeks or so. I don't know anything about tandem nursing or nursing through pregnancy. Only that I'm open to whatever happens!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post
Oh THANK YOU for this thread. I have been so worried about my dd weaning during the pregnancy and it's great to have moms to talk to about it! This pregnancy was a surprise (a surprise that we're THRILLED about, but nonetheless, we're still adjusting!). We were planning to wait another 3 months until dd is 2 to start trying, largely because of the milk issue. I really want her to get at least 2 years of milk (and was hoping to let her child-led wean). And I'm SO HORMONAL that I'm crying about it daily. Crying and laughing at the same time that is. It's bizarre.
Me too! Well, except for the laughing. Most days I'm bawling, and wailing, "I don't want to lose my milk!!!! My poor baby!!"
Can you tell breastfeeding is super major important to me?

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle
This is our third surprise baby. I was excited fo the first two but am really nervous and unsure of this one. My dh only wanted two, and we were waiting until the girls were older and then were going to do something permanent. I have no idea how I'm going to tell him. I wish that dd2 were just a few months older since I lose my milk almost immediately.

My patience for her switching sides is already low. She wants to switch 10+ times in one nursing session. I'm hoping this will slow down when she comes to realize that mommy just doesn't have much milk. I really hope she doesn't wean. I truly believe that two years (even if they aren't consecutive) is so important.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
jkg

I'm glad to see this thread! I'm nursing my 17 month-old DS, but 3 yr. old DS just weaned a couple months ago. I really want DS2 to keep nursing throughout the pregnancy. I just feel so bad because I know my supply is already dwindling. He is eating much more food. Thankfully the nipple soreness has not been too intense this time around...I think my nipples have been stretched and numbed to the extreme!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Hi, I am 7 weeks and nursing my 21.5 month old. She still nurses a lot and at this point my milk supply seems the same. My nipples are sore when she first latches on though. Last night I tried to tell her the nursies were sleeping and she could nurse when the sun came up. She was okay with that and laid back down, but she was up a half hour later and this time she was not going back to bed without nursing. So for now I am just going to go with it. I just hope she night weans before I have this baby.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm 5w3d nursing 10 month old twin girls. No nipple pain or supply issues yet, hoping to keep it that way!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm 6w4d now and the nipple pain at latcho on just kicked in right at 6w. dd is 27 months. Sometimes she latches, then gets off to look at me, then latches again, and it's driving me batty when she does that. She's also a twiddler, and that's really bothersome now too. I've been telling her that my na-nas hurt right now so she needs to be gentle with them, and she's been doing better at being gentle and opening wide before latching.

In the past week I've finished night-weaning her which went surprisingly well. So now I've got her down to nursing twice a day, just first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. We even stuck to it over the weekend when she was with me all day, which was surprising. Daddy put her down for her nap on Saturday, and on Sunday she cat-napped in the car, so we even skipped nursing for nap (she naps every day at daycare without nursing, but when she's home that's been our routine). I don't really want to force her to wean, but you know, it hurts! So, if we can stick to twice a day, I think I'll be really happy with that.

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I am in near agony nursing. I want it to end soooo badly. But, since I worlk full time, I have serious guilt about taking away something that obviously fills an emotional need for my 2 3/4 year old. I've told her it hurts and that I'd rather not. She'll ask if she can "suckle for a little bit" and I always relent. But, if it's just too darn painful, I ask her to come off rather than start crying.

My chest is so tender that I can't have her play around me while we're seated as she might inadvertantly hit my chest and I'll start crying (it's happened twice already). And her other love is my armpit. She's constantly nuzzling in it. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so close to my breasts and I'm constantly jumping as her skull gets closer to my breast. When that hits, I'm in agony all over again.

Ugh.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
acp

For the most part, nursing is still going OK for us, though last night she decided to bite - hard! - when I was nursing her in the middle of the night, which she's only done a handful of times in her life. It would hurt in any case, but *really* hurts now with my already-sore boobs.
We're also down to nursing generally 2-3 times a day (before bed, when she gets up in the morning, and usually once during the night) which is very manageable. However, I think I may be one of the only people on this thread who does hope that DD weans during this pregnancy. I love the idea of tandem nursing in theory, but it also just sounds a little overwhelming to me, especially with FT work and pumping. I'm not really sure the best way to encourage it, since I don't want it to be too close to the new baby's arrival (which might exacerbate feelings of jealousy), but also want to let her nurse for a while longer.
This was also a surprise pregnancy for us - I didn't expect to be dealing with these nursing/pregnancy issues quite so soon...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 PM

i'm also 7 weeks, and nursing my 2.75 year old. i actually wouldn't mind if she weaned, but i'm not pushing it. i'm having a ton of pain, but have been limiting the length of her nursing sessions, particularly in the evening and at night, which seems to help. i'd really like it if she night weaned, but she panics when i suggest not nursing, which i take as a signal that she's not ready.

i'm also having contractions/cramps, apparently from the oxytocin released when nursing. my mw insists that it is normal, particularly because they're pretty mild.

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM

I'm 8 weeks and nursing my 24 month old. She still loves it and right now I don't have any soreness or supply issue. However, my belly button is plenty sore and she just has to poke at it to nurse or fall asleep. I'm so hormonal now that it makes me cry to think about weaning her, yet it also scares the bejeebers out of me to think of her not weaning since I'm expecting twins and really don't know about nursing three! Yikes! However, right now the oxytocin from nursing has really helped me relax and fall asleep. Tee hee.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM

I'm 8 weeks now and just started nightweaning ds two nights ago. I was sure it would be horrible with lots of crying and awake time during the night. But no! It is going so well! I did the same exact thing I did with dd and it's just as easy with him. I can't believe it. He still wakes up asking to nurse, but I tell him I'll nurse him when the sun comes up, then give him some water and rub his back. And, boom, he's back to sleep.

I'm not planning to wean during the day anytime soon. It's not really painful so it's going well.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
For the most part, nursing is still going OK for us, though last night she decided to bite - hard! - when I was nursing her in the middle of the night, which she's only done a handful of times in her life. It would hurt in any case, but *really* hurts now with my already-sore boobs.
We're also down to nursing generally 2-3 times a day (before bed, when she gets up in the morning, and usually once during the night) which is very manageable. However, I think I may be one of the only people on this thread who does hope that DD weans during this pregnancy. I love the idea of tandem nursing in theory, but it also just sounds a little overwhelming to me, especially with FT work and pumping. I'm not really sure the best way to encourage it, since I don't want it to be too close to the new baby's arrival (which might exacerbate feelings of jealousy), but also want to let her nurse for a while longer.
This was also a surprise pregnancy for us - I didn't expect to be dealing with these nursing/pregnancy issues quite so soon...
One way to gently and slowing start weaning is to offer food, water or snuggles first. I limited dd1 while pregnant with dd2. Many times dd1 would forget all about nursing when whatever need she had was fulfilled in some other way. Nighttime was the hardest but again we offered food, water or snuggles. You can tailor this to whatever speed works for you and your dc.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I am in near agony nursing. I want it to end soooo badly. But, since I worlk full time, I have serious guilt about taking away something that obviously fills an emotional need for my 2 3/4 year old. I've told her it hurts and that I'd rather not. She'll ask if she can "suckle for a little bit" and I always relent. But, if it's just too darn painful, I ask her to come off rather than start crying.

My chest is so tender that I can't have her play around me while we're seated as she might inadvertantly hit my chest and I'll start crying (it's happened twice already). And her other love is my armpit. She's constantly nuzzling in it. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so close to my breasts and I'm constantly jumping as her skull gets closer to my breast. When that hits, I'm in agony all over again.

Ugh.
Hugs (careful to stay away from sore chest lol). I am in a similar situation in that nursing has become unbearable for me. The nursing pain and discomfort is what alerted me to the pregnancy, it starts very early for me apparently. DS is 26 months old and wants to nurse all the time. I am determined to wean him during the next couple months. I just can't continue like this. I was already having some discomfort and negative feeling about night-nursing, but the pregnancy just made it all come to a head. Poor DS is not taking it well at all. I am trying to cut it down to just a couple times a day and to bed at night, but the more I try to limit it the more he demands it. He has taken to waking in the middle of the night and staying up for a couple hours. I am desperate for sleep and can't take it so I end up lying there nursing him, in agony, wanting to punch a hole in the wall just exhausted and used.

I need the release of sharing these trials with someone who understand, so thank you for starting this thread!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
Hugs (careful to stay away from sore chest lol). I am in a similar situation in that nursing has become unbearable for me. The nursing pain and discomfort is what alerted me to the pregnancy, it starts very early for me apparently. DS is 26 months old and wants to nurse all the time. I am determined to wean him during the next couple months. I just can't continue like this. I was already having some discomfort and negative feeling about night-nursing, but the pregnancy just made it all come to a head. Poor DS is not taking it well at all. I am trying to cut it down to just a couple times a day and to bed at night, but the more I try to limit it the more he demands it. He has taken to waking in the middle of the night and staying up for a couple hours. I am desperate for sleep and can't take it so I end up lying there nursing him, in agony, wanting to punch a hole in the wall just exhausted and used.

I need the release of sharing these trials with someone who understand, so thank you for starting this thread!

I can remember feeling similiar to you when shortly after dd1 turned two and I was 3 months or so pregnant with dd2. DD1 woke up at night for almost 2 months while I was trying to nightwean. After 3-4 days she accepted that she wasn't going to get milk but it took her awhile to adjust. I would have a snack ready for her. I would lay there while she ate some crackers and think about how angry I was that she wouldn't hurry up and finish them so we could go back to sleep. It's tough to have strong negative feelings about someone one loves so much. During the day I like to read while dd2 is nursing it helps me stay calm.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM

8 weeks here, nursing a 5 month old.

A little bit of pain, but not too bad. Feeling drained, but I've cut down on things and am doing simple meals, avoiding the big projects, etc, for now.

Going to go eat my oatmeal.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Interesting.... I just noticed that most nursing mamas here are nursing girls. I assume it's just a coincidence, but I wonder if it might possibly mean something else, such as that maybe girls tend to nurse longer?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganC View Post
Me too! Well, except for the laughing. Most days I'm bawling, and wailing, "I don't want to lose my milk!!!! My poor baby!!"
Can you tell breastfeeding is super major important to me?
It's good to know I'm not the only one! I posted this in the Child Led Weaning forum, but didn't get any replies, which was a bummer. It's hard to think of my toddler not being THE baby anymore. Now she's ONE of the babies...bizarre. It must be extra hard for you since your lo is younger. Who knows--maybe we will be the lucky ones who have milk the whole time with no pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetsurprises View Post
This is our third surprise baby. I was excited fo the first two but am really nervous and unsure of this one. My dh only wanted two, and we were waiting until the girls were older and then were going to do something permanent. I have no idea how I'm going to tell him. I wish that dd2 were just a few months older since I lose my milk almost immediately.

My patience for her switching sides is already low. She wants to switch 10+ times in one nursing session. I'm hoping this will slow down when she comes to realize that mommy just doesn't have much milk. I really hope she doesn't wean. I truly believe that two years (even if they aren't consecutive) is so important.
This sounds hard--good luck with telling your dh, I hope he gets excited about it. Sounds stressful! I hear ya on the switching sides thing though. My dd LOVES to do that, and it drives me a bit bonkers. How old is your dd2? I just got "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" in the mail over the weekend, so I'm hoping that will help me...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

DD2 is 18 months old and dd1 just turned 4! I'm going to check out Adventures in Tandem Nursing next time I'm at the library. I didn't read it last time and wish I had.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post

My daughter is the same way. Prior to my vocalizing that we needed to cut back on nursing, she only nursed morning and evening anyway. And not both every day. It was often that she would forgo morning or evening and some days even both. When I started to talk about eliminating nursing, she began to ask con.stant.ly. So, I've gone back to not mentioning eliminating it. I did try something that my girlfriend recommended - just allow her to put her mouth on my breast and ask her not to suckle. Her first response, "It's not coming out!" Ok, yeah, she was hip to my game real quick. Interestingly, though, she'll just rest her mouth there sometimes and then ask if she can suckle and then stop. Some days she'll offer me juice or whatever is nearby after she nurses to "help [my] yum-yums feel better." She's so sweet! Nursing rarely lasts more than 2 minutes now.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM

DD is 2.5 and only nurses at naptime. I really want her to wean completely during this pregnancy. I've been fighting contact dermatitis on my nipples for about a year and a half now and want it to completely heal before this baby gets here.

Good luck to all of you trying to keep your babes at the breast!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM

I think my milk might be drying up. My dd is at the breast all the time now, but I barely feel any let down. : On the bright side, my nipples have stopped hurting.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :

User Tag List