Do you have a dr/midwife appt scheduled? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, has anyone NOT scheduled an appt yet? I'm just over 5w along and feel like I should wait a few more weeks. I don't know why, really. But I keep thinking, I'm not far enough along to see the baby yet (and I don't want to freak myself out) and what can the dr do right now?

What about you?

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The clinic practice I go to doesn't make appointments until 8 weeks, however, to get that appointment, it's necessary to call right away, because they're pretty busy. In other words, by the time I see the OB (next week!), I'll have had the appointment for a month.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:33 PM

I called yesterday - they said I had to come into the office (walk in) and 'confirm' the pregnancy. Then I made an appt. for 9/18. They want it 8-10 weeks away.
#4 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM

At our clinic, the minute you report a pregnancy, they want you in for a blood test, weight, etc. and a meeting with a nurse. She thought I was farther along than I was, so I went in for an U/S as well the next week, though we found it was too early to see a heartbeat. So that's 2 visits (plus a third for another blood test) before 6 weeks!

That said, so long as you're taking vitamins, and you're healthy and all that, I really don't see why you should have to go in this early, though. Both visits were pretty uninformative for me, and it was a pain lining up child care. If I'd left it all until 8 weeks, it would have been a lot more efficient. I've just had a bad history of loss, so I'm a tad paranoid, and it did help (somewhat) with that for me.
#5 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM

I don't have my first visit until 10 weeks. My primary Dr doesn't deliver babies so I needed to switch to a different Dr. The Dr. I'm switching to has been on vacation so her schedule is a little backed up. They really don't want to see my until 8-10 weeks anyway unless there is an issue.
#6 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM

I haven't scheduled anything yet. I figure I have a couple more weeks before they'd even want to see me, so I'm just waiting it out. I'm just taking my vitamins, and drink my pregnancy tea for now!

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#7 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 PM

I haven't scheduled an appointment. I'll get to it sooner or later. I was anxious to have an appointment with the first two but am more laid back now. Plus I'm not excited to drag both girls out with me to my appointment.

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
#8 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM

I made one at 5 weeks, knowing they would not see me till 8-12 weeks anyway!! I made it as I wanted to get it when I could get DH to stay with my other kids since there will probably be a pap/internal exam involved it will be a long one and it is my first appt with this MW. They only do first appts during the day so I wanted to get the appt that fit our schedule the best.

I would love to go in earlier, to get some hcg bloodwork done, make sure progesterone was ok, etc but was never able to get in before 8 weeks. I would like to meet with the mw's before then to,but alas I will wait!!
#9 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM

I'm planning on interviewing midwives next week so we can choose one. Then I'll see when she likes to schedule first appointments. I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks. Not much to hear or do right now though.
#10 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM

I have my first appointment on the 2nd. Ill be about 8 weeks then.
#11 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM

I called right away, the midwives fill up fast around here. My appointment is for Sept 2nd, so I'll be 8 weeks then.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#12 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM

We dont really. We are using a reather non-traditional mid wife though and he doesn't do a lot of prenatal care. We will meet up with him in about a month or so. Right now I am 5 weeks so I will be between 9 and 10. With my first we didn't have an appointment until 12 weeks. I wanted my dp to be there and he was out of the country at the time. It didn't bother me to wait tha long. I knew that if I felt anything was wrong that I could get in sooner.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#13 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM

I decided that I will go when there's something to see on the ultrasound. Last year, I went at 9 weeks and found out I lost it. Missed AB.

I think I prefer getting to that point rather than finding out: "Yep, you're pregnant." and then having to go back when there's really something to talk about. I have to pay 20% of the bill.

I also think many doctors will only see you at about 8 weeks or more, unless you are high risk.

I've been trying not to get too excited, because I know how fragile the first few months are and also because of what happened last year. My brain is in "anything can happen" mode.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#14 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 PM

i called to make my appt w/my mw a few wks ago for 9/5 when i'll be almost 10wks.
#15 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nope. I probably won't see anyone for this pg. And if I do, it's a MW I know, she really laid back so I wouldn't even bother until next year or so.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM

I have my first appointment on Thursday. I'll be 7.5 weeks. They didn't even ask how far along I was when I called to make the appointment. This is my first pregnancy, so I'm anxious to see a heartbeat.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#17 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM

I called yesterday and the first appointment they had was in 2 weeks when I'll be 11 weeks. Which is fine, the appointment is to see if I think the midwife is a good fit for us.
#18 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM

I called a couple of weeks ago to get in with my OB (they like to see you between 8 - 10 weeks) because I didn't think the midwife/insurance thing was going to work out. So my first appointment was supposed to be yesterday, but I called and canceled it because it looks like the MW thing is going to work out after all! :

I'll see the MW the next time she's in town (she only comes here every two weeks because she is 100 miles away!).

Yippie :
#19 of 29 Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 PM

I haven't called anyone yet. My family doc used to do OB, but doesn't anymore, so I'm trying to figure out what to do, who to see. I'd LOVE to have a homebirth, but am not sure I can talk DH into it nor am I sure a MW would take me because I have a clotting disorder that just barely throws me into the high risk category. But I'm not really high risk--I take blood thinners throughout pregnancy and for a few months pp--and I've had 3 completely normal, uncomplicated births already. Still, I'm not sure anyone would take me (though my family doc thinks I'm a great candidate for a homebirth).

So . . . I'm kinda stuck at the moment, not doing anything about it, pondering it, not really wanting to make a choice since what I really want is my family doc who I can't have. I don't want someone new. Sigh. Usually I get right in to see my doc as soon as I'm pg--probably because of the clotting disorder and need for blood thinners. I really should make up my mind soon and call.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#20 of 29 Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM

haven't and won't. hopefully.

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#21 of 29 Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM

I haven't yet. I'm planning to wait until I'm near 10 weeks or so to go in to see my doc, and then will see my mw after that.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#22 of 29 Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM

I just went in today (9 weeks tomorrow), but I made the appt back in July. This was their earliest intake appt. available, too...so not a bad idea to call right away.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#23 of 29 Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

I have my first appointment on Sept 9. I will see the OB nurse, my OB, and get an ultrasound. I will probably be high risk this pregnancy because of my current high bp and my pre-e with my last pregnancy.
#24 of 29 Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM

i haven't scheduled anything because we won't have insurance for another month or so. i don't think there is much the doc can do right now and i'm not in a hurry
#25 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM

I have to find a hbmw and I have no idea where to start........

Also dh and I have to sit down and talk and figure out who we'd rather have as "backup" for work purposes the bc mw or the ob who I saw for the end of my pg with the twins

So no appmnt yet and none in the works. TBH I don't really see a point until 12wks or so and then mostly just for work purposes

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#26 of 29 Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM

I haven't made an appointment or anything. I still owe my midwife from the last birth and I want to have her paid off before I ask her to take me on again. I don't know that she would even take me as it has taken me 2 years to pay her. My insurance fell through like 2 days before I delivered. I hate not knowing if she will deliver and I am kind of embarrassed to email/call her. So I guess we shall see.
#27 of 29 Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM

I have my first appt with the NP scheduled for 9/10. I should be about 8-9 weeks along by then. This is our first and I've been so nervous; I really am counting down the days until the appointment as I'm hoping for some peace of mind.

I've been really sick for the last 1.5 weeks as well.

bandjw
#28 of 29 Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 PM

On Tuesday I'll call the midwifery office and try to get the same midwife. I think she'll prob say something about me being back so early.
#29 of 29 Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Including blood tests, I've been about six times already! I had a miscarriage in the spring, and I was spotting a few weeks ago. I'm almost 40, and the loss was my only previous pregnancy.

There was also then some confusion about my LMP date, because being freaked out by the spotting I blanked on the date and just said '28 days from last Saturday.' Then they wrote down a date that was actually 35 days from the previous Saturday, and I had an early sonogram way too early to see anything. So for the next two weeks I had my blood taken at least twice a week until the hormone levels. They rose like they were supposed to, and are now at the level where they wanted them to be, so I have a songogram scheduled for tomorrow. I then have to see the doctor on Thursday to have the sonogram explained to me - my doctor and another practice have a recent (and apparently not particularly wanted, at least on my doctor's side) parternship. Blood tests and scans and things are all being done at the other place. To have the scan done with my doctor there I'd have to wait another week, and I decided I'd feel better having it over with quicker, since I've been so worried, even if I have to go twice.

After that, provided everything is *cross fingers* ok, I should finally get a midwife (I picked this practice because it offered both doctors and midwives) and start just going monthly or whatever until later in the pregnancy.

bftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page