Palpitations driving me crazy!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I get heart palpitations...I've been to the cardiologist and everything checks out, so no big deal there, but they've been out of control the last few days! The midwife said to expect more as my blood volume increased, but this is ridiculous. I think part of it is exhaustion...I've totally been pushing this weekend. Just bi**ching....sorry.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#2 of 22 Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 AM

Add me to that list! My palpitations are supposedly tied to anxiety (though I know I have an anxious personality, I still question that...) and I have been weaning off my meds. They are really bad, and I get shortness of breath along with them at times. I remember with my first pregnancy that I had a lot of PVCs, but my heart was totally fine during pg #2. This is annoying and I hope it stops soon!
#3 of 22 Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM

Oh man, I totally feel you on this. I have mitral valve prolapse and its supposed to actually get BETTER with increased blood volume, but mine is worse with this pregnancy. Hard to sleep at night with my heart racing and doing a flip every few beats. I hadn't had a problem with this in years until I got pregnant

I don't know what your diagnoses are, but I know with mitral valve a magnesium supplement helps A TON. Get a supplement with both calcium and magnesium (the calcium allows your body to absorb the magnesium). I take the Rainbow light one, and its make a HUGE HUGE difference. I take one with each meal.

Also, homeopathics are safe for pregnancy. I take Calms Forte when I can't sleep. Does wonders.

Anyhow, HTH.
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#4 of 22 Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
Oh man, I totally feel you on this. I have mitral valve prolapse and its supposed to actually get BETTER with increased blood volume, but mine is worse with this pregnancy. Hard to sleep at night with my heart racing and doing a flip every few beats. I hadn't had a problem with this in years until I got pregnant

I don't know what your diagnoses are, but I know with mitral valve a magnesium supplement helps A TON. Get a supplement with both calcium and magnesium (the calcium allows your body to absorb the magnesium). I take the Rainbow light one, and its make a HUGE HUGE difference. I take one with each meal.

Also, homeopathics are safe for pregnancy. I take Calms Forte when I can't sleep. Does wonders.

Anyhow, HTH.
XOXO
B
Thanks! I know there's magnesium in my Prenatal, but I don't know how much. It's a prescription, so I'll probably have to look it up. Thanks!

#5 of 22 Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 PM

I get heart palpitations too. Very annoying, but they've decreased recently so I feel like I can live with them.
#6 of 22 Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 PM

I think I'm dealing with these too. I am only around 5 weeks I think, and hardly noticing any symptoms-but when I lay down my heart will palipitate really hard. I've noticed it the last few nights as I was going to bed. I do have this happen every so often when I'm not preggo but it doesn't last as long as these spells. I went to a family doc once a few years back and they said it was just stress? I'm definately noticing it more now.
#7 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Are you tired a lot? Mine get worse when I'm tired.

#8 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Autumn,

You might want to get a referral to a cardiologist to check for mitral valve prolapse. I didnt get mine diagnosed until I was in my mid 20s. You might want to google it and see if you have other signs of it (like nearsightedness, irritable bowel, scoliosis, etc.).

http://www.mitralvalveprolapse.com/symptoms.html

Mitral valve is a weird thing. Cardiologists will tell you its no big deal and not life threatening, but for those of us who've had a sleepless night or two, its hard not to feel freaked out. When I did research and found out that mitral valve is just a part of a larger nervous system imbalance, A LOT of things made sense. And when I essentially cured mine with a magnesium supplement, I was truly grateful.

I stopped taking the Cal-Mag because it wasn't bugging me, but now its back with a vengeance this pregnancy (which is odd because the rumor is that its supposed to get BETTER during pregnancy. argh).

Again, I can't say whether the Calcium-Magnesium helps all palpitations or just Mitral Valve related ones, but I guess I suggest to anyone experiencing palpitations to get it checked by a cardiologist just to be sure. I had doctors telling me it was stress, and at one point felt like a fool about the whole thing. Its validating and reassuring to find out the cause and be able to take steps toward health. I would have panic like attacks randomly and one doc wanted to give me Prozac! The trigger was not anything emotional. It was because I had one too many beers or a too much coffee, etc. So frustrating for people to think its all in your head.

Also, I don't consider myself unhealthy by any means, but I have a list of small health issues I've experienced. It was bizarre to read down the list of symptoms and find them ALL on the list (i.e. nearsightedness, slight scoliosis, irritable bowel, migraines, etc.)

Anyhow, best wishes to you all. Hopefully that website will be of some help to someone.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#9 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have mitral valve prolpase as well. I have been noticing some palpitations here and there, but thankfully nothing too major. It actually only happened a couple of times so far I think.

I know cardiologists tell you that it's nothing too serious and normally it really isn't, but sadly my family has experienced first handedly the dangerous side of it. My (only) sister passed away 3 years ago. She had mitral valve prolapse as well. This wasn't the main cause of her death though - her heart went into an arrythmea and her heart couldn't handle the two together. It was a fluke and even referred to by some as "sudden adult death" because there were no warnings. It's very sad. I'm sorry to be such a debbie downer - but yes if you think you may have this it cannot hurt to get it checked out just so you can monitor it. Some small percent of the population have this and it is a very common (usually) non life threatening condition. I think pregnancy might be helping mine but I know pregnancy is increasing my anxiety so I'm experiencing shortness of breath (sort of) from that sometimes.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#10 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM

low Magnesium is usually the cause of palpitations, leg cramps, charlie horses, and sometimes constipation. If you tend towards constipation, magnesium oxide is nice for loosening the bowels. 200, 400 or 600mg before bed. If your bowels are normal, magnesium glycinate does not tend to affect bowels. again, first start with 200mg, then increase to 400mg, the 600mg if palpitations are not going away. Palpitations can also be from an overactive thyroid, so good idea to have your thyroid checked as well.
Elaine
#11 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Wow, that is crazy! I have several of the symptoms on that list. I have had glasses since I was a toddler for nearsightedness, scoliosis, lengthy history of migraines, bowel issues....I did get hooked up to a machine once when I asked a family doc about the palipatations, I think it was an EKG. They said everything checked out but I did not have any palipations while I was on the machine. Would this have still shown up anyways? I have an aunt with mitral valve prolapse but I never really thought about the connection. Hmmm, I guess I will ask more questions at my next appointment.
#12 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Autumn,

I could have PMed you, but in case this info applies to others:

The way my situation went down is that I had palpitations and tachycardia on and off for a while. I kept excusing it away with "maybe too much coffee" or stress or whatever. Then one morning I woke up with it. DH listened to it, heard my heart skip beats, and freaked out. I went to Urgent Care. OF COURSE by the time I got there, it was fine. They urged me to follow up with the primary care. I felt like a moron, but for some reason I did. He gave me the cardiologist referral....again I thought it was unecessary.

The cardiologist listened to my heart and heard the mitral valve "click." They did a 24 hour Halter monitor (you wear it for 24 hours and it records your heart with electrodes). The halter monitor was a big pain in the arse, and I was convinced nothing happened while wearing it. Turns out it was happening regularly and they could see it when they analyzed the data. They also did a stress test (running on a treadmill until your heartrate goes to a certain level....also joyous). The echocardiogram (like a sonogram of your heart) is the last (and least annoying part).

Most everyone I know who has mitral valve had all 3 tests done. And my friend who had mitral valve didn't ever show palpitations on the Halter. Hers was diagnosed from an echocardiogram.

You sound like me though. I have extreme nearsightedness (like freak show -16) even though NO ONE else in my family does. Slight scoliosis, migraines, IBS, etc.

HTH!
XOXO
B

#13 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Oh! I forgot to say. I think that the test they did on me at Urgent Care was an EKG. Didn't show anything for me at all.

XOXO
B

#14 of 22 Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I had an EKG and an Echo, but not the Halter, which probably would have been the only thing that could have caught the palpitations...but I figure since the echo came back good....and I thought the Echo was really irritating how they dig the ultrasound thing into your sternum. I also had an ambulatory Blood Pressure machine...that was the worst ever. The thing squeezed your arm to take your BP every 30 minutes...even at night. Left bruises.

#15 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, as well. It was unofficially diagnosed by a family friend who is a physician when I had my first episode in college. I followed his advice (got more rest, cut down on caffeine, etc.) and felt much better. When I got pregnant with my first, I was having the palpitations again so went in for an EKG to be sure. I did have a slight prolapse and was told I needed to be on an antibiotic before any dental work or surgery because of a risk of an infection in the heart. This info came in handy when I was transferred to the hospital for failure to progress with first labor and delivery. They put me on antibiotics as we waited to see if the pitocin would work (it didn't - my c-section was necessary at this point). Anyway, it worked out great that I had the antibiotics before my surgery.

All that to say, I think it's important to know for sure, especially if you're pregnant. You never know when you'll need emergency surgery, and that info could save your life. (I do know someone who lost a relative to a heart infection after surgery due to MVP, so it CAN happen.)

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#16 of 22 Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 AM

mrsbass,

just an FYI, they've since changed the recommendations for antibiotics and MVP.

this is from the american heart association website:
"In the past, some people with MVP have been given antibiotics before certain dental or surgical procedures to help prevent an infection called bacterial endocarditis (BE). However, the American Heart Association no longer recommends routine antibiotics before dental procedures except for patients at the highest level of risk for BE, such as patients with a prosthetic cardiac valve, patients who have had BE before, or patients with specific types of congenital heart disease. Also, the American Heart Association no longer recommends routine antibiotics to prevent BE in patients undergoing procedures of the gastrointestinal or genitourinary tract."

As far as I know the risk is pretty much non-existent for us as compared to "normals" unless you have a significant back flow (most don't).

XOXO
B

#17 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

argh...second trimester is worse...I just wish they would go AWAY!:

#18 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM

wanted to update by saying that mine have pretty much gone away after I started taking my Calcium Magnesium supplement again.

Wouldn't hurt to try.

XOXO
B

#19 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I already take a calcium supplement b/c I don't eat much dairy, but maybe I should switch to a cal/mag. Thanks for the advice . It's not really disruptive, just super annoying. My midwife said to expect the increase with the increased blood supply, but if Magnesium will help it's certainly worth a try!

#20 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Is your heart racing or just feeling like it is skipping a beat here and there? I have hyperthyroidism and it (my thyroid) went out of control during my first trimester - they had to increase my thyroid meds just to get it under control. When it was hyper I had terrible palpitations/tachycardia, it was awful, I didn't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep a night for about 8 weeks. Sometimes pregnancy can mess with your thyroid- it might be worth getting it checked out!
#21 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM

yeah, its the magnesium that helps, not the calcium. but the calcium helps with the absorption of the magnesium....

I really hope you try it. It can't hurt, and its been a lifesaver for me.

XOXO
B

#22 of 22 Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

not racing, just skipping a beat. So weird, as I was writing this my cardiologist's office called to schedule a follow-up visit! I went in in the spring and had my palpitations looked at (BP was high at the time, too, so it was a concern) but the thyroid was fine and the ultrasound of the heart was fine, as well as an x-ray of the heart and lungs. So, it's just a weird palpitation. My BP is totally fine now that I'm not on BCP.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page