aversion to fresh produce? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else? i just look at a zucchini or tomato, and want to hurl. too bad, because that's what's coming out of our garden now. i had very little budgeted for the next month for groceries, thinking we'd be eating our own produce, but for now, all i can stomach is pita pizzas, blue corn chips, a slice of cheese or so a day, and may a cracker or two. eeeek.

i even craved an apple and green pepper today, but within minutes of eating them, felt totally awful!

and...confession... : ....all i could think of that didn't make ill at the thought for dinner was chinese, so we went to a buffet. eeeek...we never ever ever eat like that! ever!!! but dd ate a ton of fresh stuff and i ate noodles and shrimp.

at least there's a great smiley for how i feel about all the fresh, healthy, local stuff...
:Puke

anyone else?

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#2 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 PM

I'm also craving the opposite of what I would usually eat. I wasn't eating all that great before really, so now I am starting to crave lots of fruit, cereal, even fish and vegetables. Anything with red meat or ground turkey, mexican food, fried stuff, curries- all sound and smell revolting to me. Unfortunately I haven't lost my sweet tooth. I can still throw down baked goods with the best of em.

Someone posted about craving veggie sushi the other day and since then I've had a hankering for that too! Hibachi veggies sound pretty awesome too....

Ugh, I started dry-heaving in Wal-Mart today: the whole place reeked like fried-chicken. I thought I was going to have to sit down on the filthy floor to recoup.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#3 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM

I'm posting this as my HASHBROWNS are cooking. That's all I want. Hashbrowns covered in ketcup. My mouth is literally watering as I type this!

Tomatoes make me want to vomit as well. I think it's because we also have a garden and I've eaten so many, many tomatoes. I never want to see another tomato unless it's in the ketcup on my hashbrowns.

I told Dh tonight that right now, hashbrowns taste so perfect to me it's like my mother's milk. Like it was made just for me, the perfect food. Ahhh, my poor growing babe!

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#4 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
LOL- I could have written your post!

And the stinky thing is that we have been 100% raw for 10 months now. It is all out the stinkin' window! I cannot even stand the sight of a green pepper (and the SMELL! UGH!). The thought of salads makes me want to puke. Smoothies with zuchinis in them....ugh! I DID manage to eat part of a tomoatoe at dinner, but it was forced.

I ended up making mashed potatoes two times today because it was all I wanted.

The strange thing is that I don't even feel sick at all.....I just can't stand the thought of fresh vegetables. Fruits are fine though.

Sigh.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#5 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

jrose, i hear ya. we were out in portland, or, a few weeks ago, right before i found out that i was expecting. i hit a raw foods restaurant and i bought a few books...and now...riiiiiiiiight. i think that going raw is going to have to wait until after the babe's birth. i can't stomach much of anything raw, and it seems sooooooo daunting now, with zero energy. making a pb sandwich is rough on my energy, and it is one thing i can handle to eat, most of the time.

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#6 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM

I've been craving red meat and stir fried veggies. I've been a vegetarian off and on for 24 years. The very idea that I crave steak and eat it is bizarre, frankly. Before this pregnancy I ate steak three times in my life. I've eaten it that many times just this month.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#7 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Barging in from the January 09 DDC -

I too have a veggie aversion. I normally don't *love* veggies, but I eat them because I should. I still can't really get myself to eat them, and I'm 22 weeks along. At least it's eased up some, the thought of a salad doesn't make me want to hurl anymore.
#8 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM

I can't handle the veggie either. The thought of lettuce is nauseating. I can only stomach apples for fruit right now and all I want to eat is mashed potato.
Hopefully this is only going to last a few more weeks!
#9 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 PM

i am cracking up right now at all you potato loving ladies. we went to a wedding today, and i told dp " all i can eat right now is mashed potatoes". LOL. i ended up forcing down some lasagna too. tried to eat a deviled egg and almost threw up right there at the table. the weirdest thing right now is that rice is probably my biggest turn off. like the most bland thing i could find. i think its the texture though thats turning me off to it more than the taste.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#10 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was many months into DD2's pg before I could think of eating veggies again. Fruit I loved, but anything green was nasty IMO. I eat a salad last night and it didn't sit too well so I thinking I'm headed down that road again. Tonight for dinner I just ate an extra helping of enchiladas instead of a salad.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 21 Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM

i never eat red meat, but all i want is meat and potatoes...forget the greens...i did eat salad and chicken at my friend's tonight and while ti was really good i'm still craving a rare steak. i'm getting to the point though where nothing really tastes as it should.

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#12 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 AM

When I was pregnant with my daughter I was ordering my produce through on online organics place, which was a terrible idea. Photos of organic veggies online looked terrific, but in person I could not face them, let alone eat them. When my husband suggested that we have *something* for dinner that involved using up all of the vegetables that were taking over the fridge, I caustically replied "I DON'T EAT VEGETABLES".

I like them a little more this time around, but still am eating much less veggies than my usual.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#13 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM

Last pregnancy I had an organic co-op order that I picked up weekly. It was so sad to see all those beautiful organic veggies dying in the fridge. I ended up going to get Wendy's everyday!

This year I am having a hard time with tomatoes, and I am over run with them from my garden. I even made a really yummy fresh salsa that I absolutely can't even look at. That and cucumbers. I ate a lot of cukes the first 2 weeks of my pregnancy and now I hate them.

Casey- I too am craving hash browns. I tried to make some yesterday and I only had one potato so I grated up a zucchnini with it and it totally ruined them. I am going to buy a bag of frozen grated taters for this week!!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#14 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM

I can't stomach most veggies either -- and I'm accustomed to eating quite a few. I can stomach tomato soup, carrots and I've brought some sweet potato for lunch and hope it doesn't make me want to hurl.

Fruits are still good though.

I hope this passes! I feel bloated from all teh carbs I've been eating and would love a green salad (in theory!).
#15 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Me too. No eating fruits or vegies and I'm not dealing well with even looking at them right now. We have 9 tomato plants that are bursting right now and I can't do a thing with them, and I've had my sister picking up our CSA the last few weeks; at least she'll use it. I really hope it passes soon. I'm a bit worried that it will last until it's to cold here to get much fresh produce

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#16 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh good I thought I was alone!!!! The thought of anything fresh made me so sick!!! It smells "green" and I go green!!!!!!!!!!! I am starting to get over it a little but....yuck...and I can't eat my favorite oat nut 100% natural bread either! I asked dh to pick up some white bread...eekk!!!!!!!!!! I haven't eaten white bread since I was like 5!!!!!!!!!!!! The only fruit I can tolerate are oranges...can we say hello heart burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this passes b/c I don't think I can take much more processed unhealthy chemical laden food!!!!!!!!
#17 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm actually finishing off a can of Chef Boyardee beef raviolis right now. I keep justifying it by the fact that it at least has tomato puree in it : Oh, and instant oatmeal is also working out well right now, again justified by the fact that the fruit bits may once have been real fruit (haha, DH didn't fall for that one either).

Any fruits or veggies that haven't been canned, jarred or otherwise processed just turn my stomach Hopefully the aversions will calm down soon. And I second the potato cravings! :
#18 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

it has escalated to everything in my kitchen...wahhhhh! i just walk in there and feel gross!

i'm glad i'm not the only one, though. i figure if so many others have aversions to fresh stuff, it must be something typical-- not something that could potentially starve my child!

#19 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Thank goodness for prenatal multi-vitamins

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#20 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was very happy this afternoon woofing down my Navajo taco, thinking about this thread. I had the worst craving for a taco (for those of you who don't live in the southwest, it's fry bread covered in beans, meat, cheese, and chili), which was heaven to a pg lady who doesn't want any veggies at all!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#21 of 21 Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM

I had a weird aversion to lettuce for my first pregnancy- I actually did vomit a couple of times before I just stopped eating it.

Didn't happen with the second and it hasn't happened yet with this pregnancy.

Really weird.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page