Breastfeeding and no m/s? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Ladies,

My DD is a few days short of being 23 months, and still breastfeeds around 6x a day/night. I am currently 9w3d pg, due 03 April 09. Aside from horrible latch pain that subsides after about 5 minutes, serious exhaustion, and the morning queasies/motion sickness, I have had no actual sickness. I vomited once on Friday, but it seems I had some type of flu, as DD ended up with the same thing. This has been soooo different from my pg with Amelia. I had hyper-emesis, vomited from 6w until 42w. I did have the motion sickness bit with DD as well, but the latter vomiting was often without warning, and very little actual feeling sick. I also had headaches with her, and none this time. I am fully aware that each pg is different, but I find myself worried. Granted, I started this pg a tad underweight, and was 100lbs overweight when I fell pg with DD. I am eating Organic now, am much more calm and at peace with my life, and now know what to expect with labor, birth and a newborn. DD was born at home, totally unassisted after a 7 hour start to finish, 100% silent, no pushing labor and delivery. My Aunt was a Midwife for 25 years, the last 10 in AUS, and when I asked her about the lack of pukey sickness, she said first off enjoy it, secondly, in some cases, she has seen a lower instance of vomiting related m/s in breastfeeding pg Mothers. Not sure if it's a shift of toxins due to my better eating and BMI, or directly related to the breastfeeding, or as my Mother says, maybe this one is a boy, LOL. I am doing an Unassisted Pregnancy this time, with the exception of my wonderful, lovely Chiropractor that is willing to order my bloodwork and u/s as I see fit. I did have 3 hCG/progesterone draws early on, and had an u/s done at 6w4d to rule out multiples due to VERY high hCG levels. We saw a perfectly formed yolk sac and a baby who measured spot on to my dates, with a heartbeat of 159bpm. Just wondering if any has noticed a lack of serious m/s coinciding with breastfeeding?
#2 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 PM

I was BFing with my last pregnancy (where I had a miscarriage) and had no morning sickness. I'm still BFing, albeit unbearable, and do have m/s this time. I did have m/s with DS as well.

I had to congratulate you on losing so much weight and making it stick as a lifestyle change! You are my inspiration! I gained 50 lbs with DS and am still about 15 lbs over where I would like to be. I am hoping with continued exercise and eating healthy items I can avoid such a large gain this time around!

Congrats on your wonderful birth experience last time as well!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#3 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 PM

I definitely have much milder nausea/food aversions than with my other pregnancy. My daughter will be 3 in November, and she's usually only nursing 2-4x a day, so I wouldn't expect too much of an influence from that little nursing. I've heard that nursing makes nausea & vomiting milder for some women and much worse for others (due to blood sugar issues). Not to mention that each pregnancy is different...

Come and join us in the nursing mama's thread

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 PM

I am breastfeeding my 11 month old, and I still have horrible morning sickness with this pregnancy. I had read though that nursing helps alleviate morning sickness for some women, but that hasn't been true for me! It's just as bad as it was with my first pregnancy...actually this pregnancy feels quite a bit like groundhog day to me! Even my cravings are the same!

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#5 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 PM

was bfing my oldest dd when got pg with the younger one and had the worse m/s....am still nursing my almost 3 year old and m/s is just starting to get bad....i'm 8 weeks today. so i never saw a relief with it...i don't vomit much at all, but have that horrible carsick feeling off and on all day.

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#6 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

I had no m/s with my first pregnancy.
I nursed w/ my second (at the time, C. was 24 mo.) and lost that baby at 12 weeks.
I am now 6 weeks and still nursing, and again, have no m/s.
#7 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM

I had m/s pretty bad with my first. I lost 15 pounds in the first trimester. I was nursing dd1 when pregnant with dd2. My m/s wasn't as severe but lasted longer. I was sick up until 20 weeks. Now I'm nursing dd2. I have a little with this pregnancy, but it's not bad. I am having awful headaches though. I don't know it it's the nursing or just my body adapting to pregnancy.

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
#8 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM

my m/s has gotten worse with each pregnancy, and i nursed throughout my 2nd pregnancy and am nursing now. so for me, bfing didn't seem to have any bearing on m/s...pg1 was a boy and pg2 was a girl, so maybe there's a gender link but i dont know.

congrats on the weight loss!!!
#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM

I had mild m/s with my first pregnancy (ended in m/c). I have very, very little to no m/s with my DS, and although I've felt sick a few times and do generally feel a bit yucky, I haven't really had m/s with this pregnancy which I am breastfeeding through.

I've only thrown up once during this pregnancy and it was because I was trying to force myself to eat something I had a strong aversion to.

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#10 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM

I had no m/s when I was pg with my first.
I was nursing my first when I was pg with my 2nd, no m/s.
I was nursing my 2nd when I was pg and had a m/c at 11 weeks, no m/s.
I was nursing my 2nd when I was pg with the twins and had horrible m/s until 14 weeks.
I am nursing the twins and do not have any m/s.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page