How to keep m/s at bay w/ a toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is a high needs child, especially when teething. Currently he is working on 2 molars and an eye tooth. When he is teething, he literally just wants me to hold him all day. Usually I spend alot of time wearing him, but he has been refusing carriers unless we are outside and it is too hot for me outside. He has only been taking 1 nap, but cannot handle that little sleep (he wakes at 5:30am) so spends much of the day grumpy.

Anyway, m/s has recently hit. I never had it with DS and I feel unable to cope. I try to eat often but DS hates eating and freaks out while I try to prepare and eat a snack.

DH is military so we are far from family and we just moved here last month so I don't know many people yet (those I do know have too many children to take 1 more). DH is usually gone from 5:30am to 6pm so I am on my own almost the whole time DS is awake.

How do I manage m/s with a 1 yo toddler who just wants mama to cuddle him all day?

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#2 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Is it possible for you to adjust his bedtime so that he stays up later at night while you have the help from your DH and then sleeps in longer so that you have more time to lounge in the morning? My ds doesn't go to bed till 9:30-10 but he sleeps in till 8. When he goes to bed at "normal" time 7:30 he can wake as early as 4 or 5. Thats sooooo not worth it to me.

Otherwise, I'll be evil and suggest TV. Don't know how you feel about that but it can be a nice diversion for you to catch a nap or make a snack.

My "morning sickness" kicks in, in the afternoon. I usually take a nap near the end of my sons nap and then when I wake up I feel foul and don't want to cook dinner. I usually let him watch some tv so that I can get myself in gear. I try real hard to make the most of the morning playing outside and going places to distract him while I feel ok.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#3 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM

there is some natural Jamaican Ginger Ale that was a godsend to me in my first trimester. Reeds. i bought 2 cases! lol!
#4 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Yes! Reeds is awesome, they also make ginger candies.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#5 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Any idea where to get Reed's? We don't have a Whole Foods near us, but do have Publix, Bruno's, World Market, and a small organic store.

I have tried putting him to bed later, but he still wakes at the same time. I guess he is a morning bird like his mama.

I try to avoid TV but do put on Sesame Street or a video occasionally when I need to get something done. I limit him to 30 minutes a day, and with him only taaking 1 nap (sometimes only for 1-2 hours), I am just finding it hard to rest.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#6 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi Michelle,

It's hard, isn't it? I have an 11 month old who is also a terrible teether right now, and my morning sickness is equally as vicious with this pregnancy as it was with my last one. I've been having morning sickness every day for a little over 2 weeks now, and here's what I've found helpful. I had it with my last pregnancy too, but it's an entirely different ball game with a toddler running around on top of it!

What has helped me tremendously is setting an alarm clock and waking up 1 hour before my 11 month old. It is REALLY hard to do. Who wants to wake up early when they know they'll just be sick and they feel exhausted to begin with?...But that way I can kind of "handle business" before my son wakes up. By "handling business" I mean throwing up a few times, and trying to keep some breakfast down before he wakes up. Then for the first few hours he's awake, I am pretty much living life horizontally on the couch while he is playing on the floor. Sometimes just my presence is enough to keep him reassured. I have also been giving him some teething tablets or Infants' Motrin when I can tell he's in a lot of pain from teething.

I second the Reed's Ginger Beer suggestion! Get a case of it! And I've also found these to be REALLY helpful. They don't prevent the morning sickness, but they do seem to really help with the nausea once it starts up. I find that chewing one will help me for about 45 minutes to an hour, so I usually chew between 5 and 10 per/day. I like the Original Ginger Chews:

http://www.gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

I know it's no fun. Feel free to message me off list if you want to talk more or just need some support :-) Hang in there!

~Rebecca

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#7 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM

i just eat ALL OF THE TIME!! Its the only thing that works!! I eat when he eats, I sneak food other times, I eat when he naps, I eat after he goes to bed, etc!!

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#8 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Another thing I was going to suggest is to keep a few snack traps filled with Cheerios around the house on the "trail" to the bathroom. That way when you feel sick, you can grab one of the snack traps, and hand it to your toddler. Finger food is the best way I know how to keep my 11 month old occupied in such instances!

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexo View Post
Hi Michelle,

It's hard, isn't it? I have an 11 month old who is also a terrible teether right now, and my morning sickness is equally as vicious with this pregnancy as it was with my last one. I've been having morning sickness every day for a little over 2 weeks now, and here's what I've found helpful. I had it with my last pregnancy too, but it's an entirely different ball game with a toddler running around on top of it!

What has helped me tremendously is setting an alarm clock and waking up 1 hour before my 11 month old. It is REALLY hard to do. Who wants to wake up early when they know they'll just be sick and they feel exhausted to begin with?...But that way I can kind of "handle business" before my son wakes up. By "handling business" I mean throwing up a few times, and trying to keep some breakfast down before he wakes up. Then for the first few hours he's awake, I am pretty much living life horizontally on the couch while he is playing on the floor. Sometimes just my presence is enough to keep him reassured. I have also been giving him some teething tablets or Infants' Motrin when I can tell he's in a lot of pain from teething.

I second the Reed's Ginger Beer suggestion! Get a case of it! And I've also found these to be REALLY helpful. They don't prevent the morning sickness, but they do seem to really help with the nausea once it starts up. I find that chewing one will help me for about 45 minutes to an hour, so I usually chew between 5 and 10 per/day. I like the Original Ginger Chews:

http://www.gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

I know it's no fun. Feel free to message me off list if you want to talk more or just need some support :-) Hang in there!

~Rebecca
I haven't had much in the way of sickness, maybe because I eat all the time like the pp mentioned. Anyway, at the first twinge of anything I pop one of those ginger people ginger chews and I'm good. Helps with the low blood sugar, too, when you don't have time or don't have a snack handy. You can get them at Trader Joe's. Also the ginger brew is fantastic. If you can handle it, the bulk section at most natural-type food stores has plain candied ginger, too. It's strong, but even before being pregnant I loved the stuff. Good Luck!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#10 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM

I don't have any advice, but I'm right there with you. Cranky, clingy (only wants mama) baby, and morning sickness to boot.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page