Nursing Mama's September Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought would start another chat thread for September. I still don't have much pain while she is nursing but the twiddling is driving me mad. I randomly had a jump in supply a few days ago but it seems to be going back down now. It was really weird. How is everyone else doing?

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
#2 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM

I only have pain when DS is latching on- and it seems to last for 10 seconds or so. I hear you about the twiddling! We've been working on "gentle touches" where my son is allowed to place a flat hand on my nipple instead of twiddling it.

It seems my son is nursing more often now that I'm pg. We were down to 2x a day and it seems that he nursing through the night now. Because of the pain this means I wake up and have a tough time falling back asleep

I wonder if my supply is dropping already and he's trying to bring it back?!

Grace
#3 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definite pain here. DD2 has her first cold of the season already, (this child catches every virus known to man) so she is nursing constantly.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I don't know how anybody can withstand any sort of twiddling! It drives me bonkers! not that I don't deal with it on a daily basis. I am getting to the point where nursing is starting to feel a little icky. There is no pain, yet, thankfully.

Why does it have to be this way? I don't want to wean, yet...that, essentially means that I am going to have flow with the weirdo irritation that comes with nursing in early pregnancy. Argh.:
#5 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM

No pain yet. I'm praying it stays away. My girls are teething and they either have a cold on top of it or just a runny nose from the teeth. Anyway, it's miserable!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#6 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM

Yeah, twiddling drives me crazy, too. I have some pain in my nipples when ds latches on, but it's nothing I can't stand. I don't think my milk supply has diminished-at least not noticeably.

Nightweaning was going well again and then we spent the night at SIL's house. I had to nurse him during the night so he wouldn't wake 7 people. Now he's waking to nurse at night here, too. He has a runny nose, so I've nursed him, but once he's better, we're getting back to business. I am so tired I feel like I could fall asleep at the wheel.
#7 of 29 Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Pain is still present only during the intital latch onto my right breast only. Weird Huh? Twiddling is driving me crazy! I keep telling her, to please be gentle etc... But that little hand keeps trying to get at me. I think I need to start wearing a necklace or something.
She is still waking about 2x a night to nurse, and I very gently tell her not until the morning, "num nums are sleeping" She crys for a bit but then goes back to sleep after drinking some water.

One of the luckiest woman in the world! luxlove.gif

#8 of 29 Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 AM

A nursing necklace, of course. I think I'll try that. I have been meaning to make them to sell at the local co-op (and perhaps on etsy).

I really have to repeatedly divert his little hand while nursing, esp. before his nap. The feeling makes me ill!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've noticed that I am bothered much more during early pregnancy, than I normally am.
#9 of 29 Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 AM

I'm only having a little tiny bit of pain if my nipple starts to slip out of her mouth. My supply still seems fine, I think. I'm going to go get her weighed tomorrow. She seems more interested in solids lately, so I wonder if my supply is decreasing, at least somewhat.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#10 of 29 Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM

He seems a little fussy in the late afternoon...I wonder if that is when my supply is lowest and he's noticing? Or it could be that we've been having a few really busy days- I'm babysitting a friend's 1 month old baby, and boy, he is NOT an easy baby! I did not know how easy my ds was! Part of it is that he's bottle fed, and he's not used to taking a bottle from a woman (he gets it from his dad at home, or mama nurses him), so he's resisting a little bit, but he is just a much higher needs baby than my ds ever was, so I have less time for cuddles and playing with ds this week. He seems a little disgruntled, but I'm doing my best... he is at least producing plenty of diapers, so I know he's doing ok in the hydration department!

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#11 of 29 Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Pain and just downright irritation.
Luckily DD will be three in October, so she's not nursing much these days and seems to be on the road to weaning.
I feel guilty though because I've been pointing her in the weaning direction. I'm just kind of done nursing her and that makes me a little sad
#12 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sol View Post
Pain and just downright irritation.
Luckily DD will be three in October, so she's not nursing much these days and seems to be on the road to weaning.
I feel guilty though because I've been pointing her in the weaning direction. I'm just kind of done nursing her and that makes me a little sad
I feel that way too, actually more downright angry. Night-weaning and cutting back is going miserably. DS cries, throws things, hits me. I feel guilty but can not stand nursing. He has stopped napping because I cant nurse him down for naps and getting him to sleep is miserable too, he's up crying himself to sleep until the wee hours as I try and rub his back and offer water or snacks. We're both exhausted and resentful and it is more miserable than I ever anticipated.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#13 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 AM

I am not in pain but i am so tired. My 2 1/2 dd will nurse all night if I let her. and I can't seem to find the right time to get out of her bed without waking her. I don't know what is going on with her but it is so hard on me. My dd1 was the same age when I got pregnant with dd2 but she was basically night weaned at that point so at least I could sleep at night when I needed to. I feel a little stuck. I don't want to her cry and wake up dd1 and dh in the middle of the night and I know if I won't nurse her she will just say she is awake at whatever time it is that I won't nurse her. i know that in her life the baby being born is a long way away but I worried about what will happen if she is still nursing and not sleeping like this at that point.
#14 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM

the booby pain is just beginning.:
#15 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM

i'm feeling pretty lucky right now in terms of the nursing. i still have milk (ava says it tastes like ice cream lol), and she's nursing pretty much the same amount as she has been for a while. it averages out to about 10x/day, but they're just little snacks rather than long nursing sessions. she falls asleep at the breast and then usually sleeps through until around 6:30 or so. some nights she'll wake once at aorund 3am and i nurse her back to sleep and just stay in her bed until the morning.

i have some pain at latch but not much after that. she still nurses from both sides, unlike rowan did at this point. when i was pg with ava and rowan was still nursing, he only nursed from the left side. ava's not choosing sides, which i'm happy about. the pain i felt on my right side when ava was a newborn and nursing fo rthe first time was nearly worse than it had been when rowan first started 3 years before! hopefully that won't happen this time around.

then again, maybe ava will self-wean before then. who knows??
#16 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM

I've noticed that dd is really cutting down on her nursing. I night-weaned her easily like 2 weeks ago, and then she was down to twice a day - first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. For the last two mornings, she didn't even ask to nurse, just asked for breakfast. And last night when she nursed, after she was done, she was just playing with my nipple instead of nursing. She was touching her nose to it and stuff and thought that was hilarious! haha I guess I didn't expect it all to happen so quickly.

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
#17 of 29 Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm a little sad beacuse I'm having to give my ds formula at 9 months. I was doing fine until I was a month pregnant. My ds lost a pound instead of gaining 2 in a month's time, so my milk wasn't nourishing him anymore. Anyway, we still nurse in the morning and evening for snuggles and he gets his bottle at feeding times. We're also eating a lot more table food, and he's gained a pound in a week - YAY! :

He was also down to 3 or so diapers a day and a BM every 3-4 days. Now I change him every 2 hours and he has a BM every morning. So, we're much happier about that!

You mommas go that are still feeding! My mom nursed through 2 pregnancies (she was in her early 20's, though...). I'm near 30 and had a c-section 9 months ago, so not in optimal physical condition. Maybe dc#2 will get to nurse longer.

Just wanted to share...

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#18 of 29 Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 PM

I have a few questions I hope someone can help to answer:

About when does a pregnant and nursing mom's milk supply drop?

Does the milk change entirely to colustrum around 6 months or so?
#19 of 29 Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbee View Post
I have a few questions I hope someone can help to answer:

About when does a pregnant and nursing mom's milk supply drop?

Does the milk change entirely to colustrum around 6 months or so?
This is really different for everyone. You may never notice a drop in supply, or if your child is older they might not mind because they are eating other foods. I've known moms who never noticed colostrum coming in, but I definitely changed to colostrum both times I nursed through pregnancy. I think it was around 6 months. Both times, my toddler loved it and it had quite a laxative effect on them(just to warn you)
#20 of 29 Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I feel that way too, actually more downright angry. Night-weaning and cutting back is going miserably. DS cries, throws things, hits me. I feel guilty but can not stand nursing. He has stopped napping because I cant nurse him down for naps and getting him to sleep is miserable too, he's up crying himself to sleep until the wee hours as I try and rub his back and offer water or snacks. We're both exhausted and resentful and it is more miserable than I ever anticipated.
I'm sorry things aren't going well. I nursed through my first pregnancy and I remember having napping issues but he did nurse a little he just was kind of done napping and I really needed one. He also would hit me and cry and generally throw temper tantrums if I didn't let him nurse for an hour! I did find the wanting to nurse for an hour really irritating but with my daughter I'm irritated right away. It's kind of weird.
Different kids just handle things differently though. My son was always a sleep fighter, he wanted to stay latched on forever since the morning he was born. My daughters has always been a little more easy going. It does get better though. My son is 5 1/2 now, he weaned slowly and easily soon after my daughter was born. He was almost three when I realized he hadn't asked to nurse in a couple of weeks. I was hoping for the same thing with my daughter but she's kind of hanging on to dear life to the evening and morning nursing.

Hang in there!
#21 of 29 Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

I am SO READY to be done nursing! I've had nipple pain pretty much from the get-go (not aided by the fact that DD is cutting teeth).

Though thankfully there's still SOME milk there, as when we were in Colorado for vacation last week, she got altitude sickness and wouldn't eat anything other than 'milkies' (and the pedialyte popsicles).

She's 22 months, and I thought for sure she'd go well into her third year (she's quite the boob monkey.) Now though, I'm hoping I can hold out another two months.
#22 of 29 Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM

I only have a tiny amount of milk left. DD2 is handling it really well though. Some days she wants to nurse all the time, others just her regular amount (every couple hours). Night time has been a little harder because she has a hard time going back to sleep while dry nursing. Sometimes after she has been nursing forever I can tell her "that's enough", and she'll pop off and go to sleep, not always.

I think she is getting a stomach bug, she woke up in the middle of night with a high temp. And I've been hear her tummy rumble, so we'll see how it goes without milk! She did drink water several times already today, so hopefully She drinks a lot of water normally, but when she is sick, she usually just nurses.

#23 of 29 Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 PM

We're still nursing here, but my nerves are on edge. Between the twaddling and the soreness, it's like nails on a chalkboard. I know he's no where ready to wean yet, but I've had to cut out some nursing sessions for myown sanity. Hopefully it will pass as the pregnancy goes on.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#24 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Oh, I didn't see this. We are nearly dry nursing, ourselves. Once a day and twice at night. My boobs feel like they have been whipped. Mine is 23 months and I'm counting down until two, when I'm going to day wean her completely. I am hoping she'll self night-wean when my milk changes in the fifth month, but if she doesn't, I think I am going to have to cut down to once per day, max, to prepare for the baby.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#25 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 03:09 PM

I've had nipple pain during latch on - especially if it's been awhile since DD has nursed. She just started preschool two weeks ago and has been having some separation anxiety. She's been waking up to nurse quite a bit at night. I keep telling her that pretty soon, the nursies are going to need to sleep at night.

With the soreness, DD has been doing really well. She's a huge twiddler, and I've gotten her to cut that way down and be more gentle I'm also starting to lose some supply. She tells me sometimes that she needs to "nurse on the other side - that one doesn't have any milk."

I've got no plans to wean her, but wondering if she'll self wean sometime during the pg. She turned three at the end of August and is still *really* attached to the 'nursies.'
#26 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Some days I think my daughter (she'll be three in November) is weaning, because she'll skip our usual nursing sessions and maybe only nurse once in a day and briefly. Then there are days like today... I'm lucky to not have any nipple soreness, so I mostly don't mind, though I do find my supply has dropped- I don't know whether it's from the pregnancy or just the decreased demand.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#27 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Hello ladies,
I just found this thread. I am pregnant with my sixth. My oldest is 8 and I have been nursing since the day he was born. All of my kids have been nursed until around three, so far, give or take a few months. They are close enough together that I have actually begun each of the last four pregnancies while still nursing two babies. Right now I am nursing my 2 1/2 year old and my 15 month old and I am two months pregnant. Looking back on all of it I am glad that I have done this and I will certainly continue. That said, it has not been without it's challenges!! I can certainly relate to all the complaints of nipple pain and ickiness. I certainly do get this. I think it is greater with the older nursers. I think their suckle is different. Also, how much milk there is also seems to affect it for me. My 2yo nursing on a breast that is pretty empty is much harder to deal with than when it is quite full. And i have a much easier time with my 1yo than with my 2yo. And that seems to always have been the case. There have been quite a few times with various babies where I we have had to compromise somewhat. I did not want to totally wean them, but I needed some reduction in nursing times in order to function and not be a bear. With some babies this has been an easy process, with others more difficult. But eventually we always did find that happy medium.
So for those mothers who in the middle of this and feeling quite guilty, don't despair! It IS important to find a place where you can both meet. And that will mean that your nursing babe will have to adjust somewhat. But it is NOT impossible to find that place (usually!). And when it is more balanced to where you can nurse them without the anger and resentment, they will calm down a bit and respond to that as well. Sometimes that means finding a way to limit the length of a nursing. For instance, I have had a lot of luck with a happy go-lucky "Mommy has to get up (or mommy needs a break or whatever they seem to respond to) so 10 more seconds (slight pause) 5 seconds, 1-2-3-4-FIVE!)" make the counting silly somewhat and then break the suction and pull them off with a cuddle and a kiss. Of course, this works best for older kids. My 2yo can also understand right now,"No, I'm not doing that right now, but I can hold you for a bit if you would like." Little things like that that can help you control the situation a little better so you can handle it. Also, looking for times when you really feel like you CAN nurse right now and then offering that to them, has been helpful for me. I also find for myself that nursing at night is harder than nursing during the day, so that is usually where I push the most for some relief. The younger babies (like the 1yo) aren't so hard as the closer to 2 and older babies for me. There were at least two children who really had a hard time with limiting the night nursings. I tried so many things, but much had to do with just perseverence and time.
Also, one thing helped very much to keep in mind. I believe the one of the greates gifts my parents gave me were my siblings. We all did have to adjust and make room for each other in many ways while growing up, and I think this process was one of the blessings about having them, and certainly was worth it anyway, for the people who are now in my life. This is just an inherent part of being in a family -- a certain amount of self-sacrifice and constant adjustment to the needs of those around you. Even though new siblings definitely meant a shorter nursing time or more limited nursing for some of my kids, I think that is just part of the adjustment that needed to be made in welcoming this new member, and that the sacrifice is well worth the gains. Just like my kids are working with me and we are all working around the morning sickness right now. Fewer park trips (ok, pretty much no park trips until another couple weeks from now, really), a few more chores, and a greater amount of creativity in occupying themselves around the house are a few of the adjustments they are making because mommy is so tired and not feeling well. The older ones definitely know this is temporary and they are excited for the baby. In fact, I have heard no complaints at all about any of the adjustments that have been needed. They are just taking it as a matter of course. And I do believe that they have a sense, too, of how important they are because they see the kind of sacrifice it takes to bring a new baby into the family... and they know those same sacrifices were made for them. I don't know on what level the younger kids understand any of this, but their attitudes seem to be the same.
Oh, and just a heads up to those mothers who have 15mo, after five kids and lots of friends with babies, something goes on around this age that makes most mommies very tired. I can't remember whether or not I ever read in a book or not, but I have observed that they seem to go through some kind of gowth spurt or other development and it seems like suddenly they start waking up a million times at night no matter how much you nurse and feed them during the day. In any case, if you have a 15mo, try to hang on for the next week or few weeks, and things should calm back down again soon.
Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling so much, it was just fun to happen upon a group of women nursing through pregnancy after having done it myself for so long.
Thanks for starting this thread!
M.
#28 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajam View Post
Hello ladies,
I just found this thread. I am pregnant with my sixth. My oldest is 8 and I have been nursing since the day he was born. All of my kids have been nursed until around three, so far, give or take a few months. They are close enough together that I have actually begun each of the last four pregnancies while still nursing two babies. Right now I am nursing my 2 1/2 year old and my 15 month old and I am two months pregnant. Looking back on all of it I am glad that I have done this and I will certainly continue. That said, it has not been without it's challenges!! I can certainly relate to all the complaints of nipple pain and ickiness. I certainly do get this. I think it is greater with the older nursers. I think their suckle is different. Also, how much milk there is also seems to affect it for me. My 2yo nursing on a breast that is pretty empty is much harder to deal with than when it is quite full. And i have a much easier time with my 1yo than with my 2yo. And that seems to always have been the case. There have been quite a few times with various babies where I we have had to compromise somewhat. I did not want to totally wean them, but I needed some reduction in nursing times in order to function and not be a bear. With some babies this has been an easy process, with others more difficult. But eventually we always did find that happy medium.
So for those mothers who in the middle of this and feeling quite guilty, don't despair! It IS important to find a place where you can both meet. And that will mean that your nursing babe will have to adjust somewhat. But it is NOT impossible to find that place (usually!). And when it is more balanced to where you can nurse them without the anger and resentment, they will calm down a bit and respond to that as well. Sometimes that means finding a way to limit the length of a nursing. For instance, I have had a lot of luck with a happy go-lucky "Mommy has to get up (or mommy needs a break or whatever they seem to respond to) so 10 more seconds (slight pause) 5 seconds, 1-2-3-4-FIVE!)" make the counting silly somewhat and then break the suction and pull them off with a cuddle and a kiss. Of course, this works best for older kids. My 2yo can also understand right now,"No, I'm not doing that right now, but I can hold you for a bit if you would like." Little things like that that can help you control the situation a little better so you can handle it. Also, looking for times when you really feel like you CAN nurse right now and then offering that to them, has been helpful for me. I also find for myself that nursing at night is harder than nursing during the day, so that is usually where I push the most for some relief. The younger babies (like the 1yo) aren't so hard as the closer to 2 and older babies for me. There were at least two children who really had a hard time with limiting the night nursings. I tried so many things, but much had to do with just perseverence and time.
Also, one thing helped very much to keep in mind. I believe the one of the greates gifts my parents gave me were my siblings. We all did have to adjust and make room for each other in many ways while growing up, and I think this process was one of the blessings about having them, and certainly was worth it anyway, for the people who are now in my life. This is just an inherent part of being in a family -- a certain amount of self-sacrifice and constant adjustment to the needs of those around you. Even though new siblings definitely meant a shorter nursing time or more limited nursing for some of my kids, I think that is just part of the adjustment that needed to be made in welcoming this new member, and that the sacrifice is well worth the gains. Just like my kids are working with me and we are all working around the morning sickness right now. Fewer park trips (ok, pretty much no park trips until another couple weeks from now, really), a few more chores, and a greater amount of creativity in occupying themselves around the house are a few of the adjustments they are making because mommy is so tired and not feeling well. The older ones definitely know this is temporary and they are excited for the baby. In fact, I have heard no complaints at all about any of the adjustments that have been needed. They are just taking it as a matter of course. And I do believe that they have a sense, too, of how important they are because they see the kind of sacrifice it takes to bring a new baby into the family... and they know those same sacrifices were made for them. I don't know on what level the younger kids understand any of this, but their attitudes seem to be the same.
Oh, and just a heads up to those mothers who have 15mo, after five kids and lots of friends with babies, something goes on around this age that makes most mommies very tired. I can't remember whether or not I ever read in a book or not, but I have observed that they seem to go through some kind of gowth spurt or other development and it seems like suddenly they start waking up a million times at night no matter how much you nurse and feed them during the day. In any case, if you have a 15mo, try to hang on for the next week or few weeks, and things should calm back down again soon.
Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling so much, it was just fun to happen upon a group of women nursing through pregnancy after having done it myself for so long.
Thanks for starting this thread!
M.
you are an inspiration momma!!

Maried Mommy to 6yr old DD, and 3yr old DS.   I am currently expecting a baby due at the end of July or early Aug of 2013 and looking forward to another successful VBAC.   I really enjoy babywearing and breastfeeding and would describe myself as a somewhat crunchy Momma 

#29 of 29 Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Nursing DD2 to sleep at times has been interesting at night (she'll be 2 next month BTW) she jut nurses and nurses since there isn't anything there. It takes forever. Last night she only nursed for a minutes, rolled over and went to sleep. And she only woke up twice during the night to nurse. That also seems to be the only time I have any milk is those couple sessions early in the am, after that there's nothing left.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page