Pooping Problems - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else constipated? My poor DP, Quasar, is having pooping problems. And because she is so bloated, she doesn't want to eat even more than she didn't want to eat before.

What is safe to take during pregnancy to "move things alongs"

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#2 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM

i'm constipated too. i've always had success with prune juice...i wouldn't take any laxatives though...i hope she feels better soon! it is so uncomfortable when that happens...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#3 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM

me too. It was 4 days. Just went this morning.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#4 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Colace is safe during pregnancy (its just a stool softener), but as with all medication they recommend the mother try to wait until the second trimester if possible. I had the same problem in my first pregnancy and got a prescription prenatal vitamin with a stool softener in it from my OB. You can try good ol' fashioned prunes or prune juice too!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#5 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM

I had severe constipation with my first pregnancy and it looks like I will again. Things I tried: dried fruit, prune juice, lots of fiber (but thiss must be balanced with LOTS of water or else it makes things worse), and nothing worked. By my 3rd trimster, I had to take 6 Colace a day and still only "went" every 7-14 days (with bleeding).

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#6 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM

With dd, my mw suggested taking 1200 mg calcium and 600 mg magnesium everyday. Liquid is better. It worked like a charm!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#7 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Foodwise, I've found prunes to be the best bet. And staying hydrated. Carrots and beets also have quite a lot of fiber.

Mom of two girls.
#8 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM

I wonder if fish oil would help? My mw said it's fine to take during pregnancy and good for the baby's brain.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#9 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM

yep, fish oil & flax oil should help move things along. Metamucil & Benefiber are great & are not laxatives (they are bulk forming), but must be taken w/ a fair bit of decaffeinated fluid. FiberCon tablets are the same thing, but even though those are only tablets, they must be taken w/ a fair bit of decaffeinated fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
Colace is safe during pregnancy (its just a stool softener), but as with all medication they recommend the mother try to wait until the second trimester if possible. I had the same problem in my first pregnancy and got a prescription prenatal vitamin with a stool softener in it from my OB.
I would guess that the stool softener in the prenatals might be the same thing that's in Colace. In which case I can't see any reason not to take the Colace during the 1st trimester (if anyone has a prenatal w/ a stool softener in it right now, I'd love to know what the stool softener is). Just thinkin' out loud
#10 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm using flaxseed oil gelcaps right now. The first month on them is pure hell (it gets worse before it gets better), but they're keeping me fairly regular and making it less painful to go. They also don't have any aftertaste if burping is a concern, like fish oil does. HTH!
#11 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM

I've been on fish oil since before being pg and I've had no constipation problems, even though I've run that way in the past. I've also been lucky about not having m/s, so it could be that since I'm able to eat a variety of things my body's not slowing down as much. Good luck to you. I know how horrible this can be!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#12 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM

a bit late to the party, and hopefully you've gotten things moving along by now but...

When DD was getting used to solids, the general rule of thumb was that foods that start with the letter "p" were good to get/keep things moving. So, prunes, pumpkin, pear, etc.

Personally, during my first pregnancy I noticed that if my protein to carb ratio was too high (meaning I was having more protein and less carbs than my usual diet) that I started to have some bathroom difficulties.
#13 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

i'm just now starting to have some issues, so will be getting the dreaded prune juice...oh i hate that stuff, but it helps...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#14 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM

yep, first problems the other day. Seems better now.
#15 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 AM

MOVE!! and drink! Fluids and exercise really help, even though she doesn't feel like it, I'm sure. You need to think about this as a long term problem, so keep up the fiber, fluids and activity level every day. My accupuncturist suggested lightly steamed veggies like broccoli, snow or snap peas and other high fluid foods. It drove me crazy when I was pg and complaining about this to hear how common it was, why didn't anyone warn me???

Other things no one warned me about: the end of first trimester, beginning of second is a bad time for UTIs (bladder infections). Watch out for signs and symptoms, because they can be a serious problem. And maybe start mixing your prune juice with cranberry juice now!

Good luck everyone!! :

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#16 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 AM

Drink this!

http://www.odwalla.com/products/Superfood.jsp

We drink it all of the time...my dh describes it as "drinking a fruit smoothie while mowing the lawn".

It will keep your body "regulated" and is a great way to get in fruits and veggies daily.

And on a side note...my ds (who is seven) has a life threatening allergy to dairy. So he drinks a glass of "grass juice" at least once per day and is so healthy, smart and has never been constipated. (Well he was breastfed for four years too! )
#17 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Ask your doc if an enema is safe, if it has been a while. That helped clear me up *blush*. Since then, I've been religious about fiber + added prune juice (hello, grandma!).
#18 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandjw View Post
Ask your doc if an enema is safe, if it has been a while. That helped clear me up *blush*. Since then, I've been religious about fiber + added prune juice (hello, grandma!).
Personally, I'd try a glycerin suppository before an enema (I feel supps are a bit more gentle). But check w/ your provider
#19 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

I have been having some trouble last couple of days.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#20 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Ha ha! I have problems during pregnancy too. And the funny thing is that out of all of the exercises I did, being constipated was the most valuable! Those were the exact muscles I needed to have exercised.
#21 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM

Let me join on this......its AWFUL and I did not have this with me other two babes. Thanks for all the advice
#22 of 22 Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewendy View Post
Ha ha! I have problems during pregnancy too. And the funny thing is that out of all of the exercises I did, being constipated was the most valuable! Those were the exact muscles I needed to have exercised.
Glad to know it's useful for something at least. Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm hoping it doesn't become a big issue, but if it does again, at least I can take some steps to try to prevent it. My problems have pretty much resolved and it was basically just a couple days where it was an annoyance. But I'm trying to drink more water, and I've been eating carrots and so far that's all that I seemingly needed to do.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page