Cough remedies that are safe during pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a killer cough here.

Been taking Tylenol PM at night so I can sleep through the throat tickle, but it's still taking me 2 hours to fall asleep at night cuz I'm coughing so much.

Any remedies safe during pg to soothe a throat/cough? Desperate here.

No phlegm, just a dry cough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Okay...all food-based. I would boil some water, say 32 oz., press/mince 3-4 cloves of garlic, add garlic to boiled water, steep 20-30 min. Once steeped, squeeze a lemon into the concoction, add honey to taste, mix well, strain, and drink as hot as possible.

You can also do a thyme, honey, lemon tea. 1 tsp. dry thyme in 8 oz. water, steep for 10-15 min, add lemon and honey, mix well, strain, drink. Thyme is an excellent remedy for a cough...it is also antimicrobal.

Hope you feel better!
#3 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 PM

You can also try soothing your throat by gargling salt water or powdered myrhh dissolved in warm water...or try eating a spoonful of raw honey.
#4 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From my ob's handout -

Robitussin DM for cough
Any throat lozenges for sore throat

I'd probably try russianthistle's suggestions first

Mom of two girls.
#5 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 08:23 AM

There's been some studies that show that honey is as effective as cough syrup in children. I'd imagine that the results would transfer to adults. It's very effective with me.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#6 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
There's been some studies that show that honey is as effective as cough syrup in children. I'd imagine that the results would transfer to adults. It's very effective with me.
I've read this too...also honey is antibacterial. It coats the throat and soothes the way cough syrup might, only w/o the crazy chemicals.

Nothing against your OB's sheet of recommendations, but I would not trust Robitussin DM. I downed a bottle of it once in high school, and WOW. Needless to say, I'll never do anything like that again.
#7 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM

1 blob of butter, a squeeze of lemon and a dash of vinegar. Warm (I put in microwave for a few secs til melted) then slurp away. Repeat through the day. At night I recommend a hot toddy, hot water with a dash of whiskey, drink as hot as you can . You'll feel better and it will help you to sleep.

Try and have some nice steamy showers to relieve tension in your chest and drink lots and lots to cleanse your system. Get as much rest as you can.

HTH's, take care.
#8 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I like honey and I have raw honey in the house so I'll try that thank you so much!

Something horrible is going on with my throat. I can barely speak.
#9 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM

If none of the home rememdies help you get any sleep, call your maternity care provider. There are prescriptions that are safe to take during pregnancy. I'm dealing w/ the same thing here
#10 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
Nothing against your OB's sheet of recommendations, but I would not trust Robitussin DM. I downed a bottle of it once in high school, and WOW. Needless to say, I'll never do anything like that again.
: I don't take cough syrup at all; can't stand the stuff and I don't find it effective. Usually do hot honey and lemon instead. It's just another option, from what I consider to be a fairly conservative practice.

Mom of two girls.
#11 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
There was actually a large study showing that WATER is as effective as cough syrup in children-- that is to say, that cough syrup really isn't that effective.

Here's a link about the buckwheat honey study-- it doesn't seem to compare it to water, but says that it's more effective than cough syrups like Robitussin (and tastes a whole lot better, too!). I wonder if they'll come out with Honey with Codeine .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page