Now *I* am bleeding!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, statistically, my turn is here. My other 2 pregnancies/births/children were uncomplicated. One of the reasons I have not told many people is that I have had a bad feeling about the pregnancy from the start. I am sick sick sick though on top of it, I feel like I have had the stomach flu for the last 2 weeks! (I am 6-7 weeks pg)

Last night I felt a 'surge' and went to the bathroom and there was a good sized splotch of bright red blood. Since then it has lessened and is either not there or light pink. Still, blood is never a *good* sign.

I have not seen a dr/mw yet but have an appt with a mw on the 15th. I called today to see if I could come in before then and found the mw is gone but I can see the ob on call who is male. I know this is a hangup of mine but I am extremely uncomfortable with a male dr, especially an obgyn. I was basically told that either I see him at 2pm or I go to the er. I was making an appt with a female dr till the 'office manager' got wind of it and said no, if they recommend seeing the male dr at 2, that is what I need to do. I REALLY wanted to see the mw's at this office, they come highly recommended.

So basically I get off the phone, call the HMO to see who ELSE I can see and they tell me there are 2 mw's that I can go to!! So I call them and cant see them till the 22nd of Sept but the nurse will call me back this afternoon to see if I should come in earlier. Really, I just want to know if my baby is alive or not, is it too much to ask in this highly sensitive situation that I am able to deal with a FEMALE (there are 5 at the office) versus the 2 males that I am uncomfortables seeing?? I am not cramping at this point and since there is nothing anyone really can do I guess I will just hold out for a while but I am SO disappointed that I do not have a whole lot of options on who I can see today. I decided not to see The Man and see how things look in the am. Blah.
#2 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 PM

oh....hopefully the bleeding will stop and it's just "normal" for you.. i understand not wanting to see a man, but if it does get worse it might be better to just go in and be checked than wait it out....are there any clinics in your town you can go to just to get an u/s? i know it is scary mama..hang in there..we are all here for you...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#3 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM

I really hope the other midwifes call you back and tell you to come in today. GL and thinking of you .

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am the same way as you in that I am VERY uncomfortable seeing a man. I understand things happen and there have been times I have had to see one, but I am right there with you. If you just had one spurt of blood it really could be very minor. I am thinking about you. If it picks up, maybe you can go to the er?? Let us know how it goes.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#5 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
jkg

Good luck, mama!
#6 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Please do go to the ER if you start feeling woozy or things start to feel really surreal. There is a chance that you are miscarrying. Things can go smoothly (well, it's all relative...) during a miscarriage. I had no symptoms except for spotting, then bleeding. I bled a lot, had very little pain, and all came out the way it should. It was disheartening, sure, to say the least...but a doctor was really not needed, in my opinion. I did go to the ER, got the u/s to find that I was really miscarrying, and they sent me home for it to actually happen.

, mama.
#7 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!!

I unexpectedly got a call from the mw (who I have not met yet) and told her the saga, and she said that basically bleeding with out cramping is not as concerning as bleeding with cramping. ANd that a burst of blood could be a polyp or something, but light pink cervical mucous present while wiping could be a little more concerning, as that generally comes from inside. She also said that it could take 2-3 weeks for the baby to 'pass' even if the baby was no longer living right now. And I should not worry about hemmoraging as that does not usually happen at 6-7 weeks.

Anyway she suggested going to the ER, as it would be a 'one stop shop' and I could get an u/s on much better equiptment, and actually they send their u/s patients there to the outpatient center in the ER anyway. And I could get bloodwork done too,and if I came to the office I would be sent to a lab to have it done. Of course, she also said it was a 60/40% chance of a male being there!! she is off till Mon, the other m/w just had surgery and is off a few weeks too. I have not had more blood, but she did say too that is not necessarily a sign that all is ok.

I will talk to DH when he gets home.....seems like these things always happen right before the weekend so it is hard to get anyone on the phone!!

Thanks mamas for your kind words!
#8 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 PM

hang in there mama
#9 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Hope all goes well.
#10 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 PM

I hope things work out for you, mama. Keep us updated.
#11 of 18 Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM

Hang in there veggiemom! I just wanted to mention that I had some bleeding issues as well - I had a pretty heavy gush of bright red blood around the 5 week mark and some bright red spotting the following day, and pink mucus on and off for another day. There wasn't any cramping. I didn't go to the ER since I had an appt with the doctor a few days later anyway. She said that it was "minor" bleeding and wasn't really concerned about it all. I went in today for my second ultrasound @ 9 weeks and all looked good!

Even though everyone's different, from my research it seemed like if you don't fill up a pantiliner then you can be pretty (guardedly optimistic! Hope everything goes well!

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#12 of 18 Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM

How are you doing today, Veggiemom?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#13 of 18 Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

SO, I ended up going to the ER last night....BIG PRODUCTION!! But I was not able to get in anywhere till the 15th of Sept, and the midwife recommended going to the hospital and said that they had the best u/s equiptment, etc since I was only 6-7 weeks. So anyway, after a 4hr ordeal, the baby is alive!! Yippeeee!

I say ordeal because there was SO MUCH WAITING and it wasnt even busy! I told them I did not want anything put 'up there' under the circumstances so I did not get an exam or anything, which they would have done at the dr per the nurse when i called earlier. And you will laugh, my efforts to avoid a male were a joke.......there was a male intake person, male RN, male dr, and male u/s tech!! I couldnt believe it!! So they all got to hear in detail about my bloody crotch. Luckily the blood has stopped. THey said everything was 'in it's place' per the u/s and the heartbeat was 150 so it wasnt ectopic or anything which was also my concern.

The nurse (who claimed to have been an IV therapist for 4 yrs) could not get blood out of me (this is common, I have small veins) after many sticks, so they sent someone from the lab, who finally squeezed some blood out of me (3 vials). Then she.......accidentally threw it in the biohazzard box?? So she couldnt get it out as they are locked. She apologized profusely and it was just so stupid I had to laugh myself. so I came hom with 10 holes in my arms!!! And 2 very poor quality pics of the baby!! Though that is nothing to complain about, I had convinced myself that it had all gone wrong and that I would be leaving in tears.

The dr did say that it still could be the beginning of a m/c, that it is still early yet, or it could have been implantation bleeding (3 weeks late??). I have an appt with the mw next monday but of course they wont be able to hear a h/b or anything so I wont really know!

I am still not thoroughly convinced that all is well, though I do feel much better seeing a h/b as I had convinced myself that it had all gone wrong and the baby was no longer living. I still dont really want to spread the word yet, just in case!!

Thank you for asking about me and for all your hugs, and kind encouraging words mamas!!
#14 of 18 Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on getting to see your baby and its heartbeat!! Please take it easy. As long as the baby is doing well right now it might help if you take it easy at least until the bleeding totally stops. I am so happy to read good news!::::

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#15 of 18 Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Yes, yes - very good news is always welcome! Congrats and relax, especially with the ten holes in your arms (yikes - I hate needles and would have cried under your circumstances!).

Hope all goes well at the midwife appointment Monday. I don't get to see my little one until at least the 17th (next appt.) and I'm 10 weeks (I think) today. I can't wait!

Take care of yourself!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#16 of 18 Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM

i'm so happy the baby is doing well!! now you take care of you! :

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#17 of 18 Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 AM

take good care, mama. I am glad to hear that you heard a heartbeat, that is certainly a wonderful sign.

#18 of 18 Old 09-06-2008, 09:14 AM

: it sounds like good news. I'm happy for you

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page