homeschooling with morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else dealing with this? There is NO time of the day that I feel good. I can't talk for more than a minute without gagging, so reading out loud has been impossible! I guess we'll have to just go slow and catch up next month. At least I don't have to get up at 7am to get them on the bus!
#2 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM

i dont know about homeschooling yet, but ill tell you teaching preschool is hard! lol. at least my morning sickness isn't too bad. i just get really tired and impatient with the kiddos. i try though!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#3 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM

My plan is to start homeschooling my kindergartender in two weeks.
I'm figuring we'll just take it slow. It's kindergarten and the curriculum I'm using doesn't actual start any academics.
I do need to stop falling asleep on the couch at 8 though so I can do some planning!
#4 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM

We have been reading and watching a lot of documentaries. I am feeling better though so we are going full swing again starting Monday.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#5 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 PM

....homeschooling with morning sickness here. In fact, on top of that, I have to take progesterone shots because my progesterone is low. This has never happened to me before, and this is my sixth child. The shots seem to make me even more tired and sick the next day, as well as leaving a big bruise on my hips that various little hands always seem to jostle or hit somehow. I am mainly doing just second grade stuff right now (one entering second, one leaving second and going to third). Thankfully, I am not gagging, so reading to them isn't as hard. Staying awake while they practice their reading, however, is very tricky. And I have a one-minute-on-the-computer-for-every-minute-reading rule that I wish I didn't have sometimes, although I know I need to keep it because it really is highly motivating for them. It's just that it means I need to listen to more reading. One thing that is helping the schooling is that the all-day sickness is actually worse in the afternoon and evening, although I am VERY slow in the morning. So I have decided that we start school by 9:30am no matter what (that means, even if the chores ---breakfast clean up, etc) aren't done yet. This insures that we use for school the time when I feel best and the kids are still fresh enough to concentrate. I start with something for everyone (some religion, stories, songs, etc) and then go to older kid stuff. Typically I'll have whomever is not being taught be the one to keep an eye on and be in charge of keeping entertained the little ones. Thankfully, their pretty easy to entertain. They love it when their older brothers play with them. I have my list of the bare basics that is all we are doing for the next month or so. I have also decided that the most important of those basics is reading and religion and if that is all we do in a day, I am happy. The rest can be added on later. The housework is, of course, suffering. I'm just trying to be happy that the kids are fed and that I made dinner. My wonderful husband is suffering from a sleep disorder and is doing his best to help me when he gets home from work. Mainly that means he washes the dishes now that my dishwasher broke, but I am very grateful for that help, truly. Mostly, after having done this five times before, I just keep reminding myself that it is very temporary and I try to make sure I slow down more and smile at my kids. Just a smile does so much for them, even when it is really hard for me. That doesn't mean I go around with a smile painted on my face. They know I am suffering, but I mean that I make the effort to look them in the eyes and smile at them as often as I think about it. I want them to know that this hurts, but it sure is worth it, and I sure do love them, and I really appreciate how much they are helping.
Hopefully only 6 more weeks to go!!!
M.
#6 of 8 Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We aren't doing much here either. The nausea comes and goes, between the regular first tri exhaustion, and the fact I'm not sleeping, I'm just too tired to do much. I'm redoing my plan, now if we do a little something 3 times a week, I'm ok with that.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 8 Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

glad I'm not the only one! I like the minute on the computer for every minute reading rule- I think I will put that into effect when I feel better. My oldest is a bookworm, and pretty good at getting her independent work done. I think I will have her read more often to the boys, just for now.

I am sooo ready for the second trimester to begin!!
#8 of 8 Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM

My kids attend an alternative school for a few hours four days a week, and then I homeschool them the other half of their curriculum, plus anything I want to add in. We homeschool for at least 2-3 hrs/day most days.

This hybrid situation has been a great solution for our family, but the downside right now is that their available free time for homeschooling is in the early afternoon-evening, and that coincides totally with when I feel most exhausted and nauseous right now. Starting at around 2 pm every day, I start feeling literally poisoned by my little fetus, lol, and it doesn't let up until almost bedtime some days. Yeah, so dinner has been suffering badly, too.

I've been coping by trying to get a nap in during the late morning and by slowly sipping an ice-cold Coke in the afternoons : (I know, I know, but it's temporary.) And on days when I just can't sit up in a chair for any length of time, we homeschool all together on my big bed . It also helps that my 4th and 2nd graders are able to work on many things independently, leaving me more free to work with my 1st grader. Even so, I'm going to be so happy when the first trimester is over!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page