So hungry AND nauseated...need snack ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...I'm desperate for some suggestions here... I am going back and forth between ravenous (I could eat one of my own children) to gagging...in five minutes if I don't put something in my mouth when that crazy hunger hits.

But, I'm just struggling for good, FILLING, satisfying snack ideas that I can pop in my mouth in a hurry.

I'm very tempted to just buy some naughty, fatty things to get me through this part of the pregnancy. Some things that sound really good (but aren't really "good") are like; microwave pizza snacks, ravioli in a can, mac & cheese, hot dogs, and other naughty things like this.

Part of my crazy hunger stems from still tandem nursing (both girls are still going strong) and since I'm 10 weeks today, I'm getting mostly away from the plain nausea...now it is just nausea if I don't eat immediately during a hungry, growly tummy.

I have fruit on hand, like bananas and peaches, or yogurt and nuts, even Odwalla Super Food juice...but none of those have the "fat" that my body seems to be craving right now.

What can I eat that will satisfy my "fat/protein" cravings but not that bad stuff from a can or a box?

Suggestions....?
#2 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 02:47 AM

Some of my go-to fat and protein snacks right now that hit the spot:

1. Green salad (romaine and spinach) loaded up with avocado chunks, feta cheese, and olives, with Green Goddess dressing

2. Whole-grain, high-fiber toast spread with peanut or almond butter (no PB if allergies run in family), topped with thin slices of apple, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. Mmmmm....

3. Extra sharp cheddar cheese and whole grain crackers and some kind of fruit on the side

4. Bowl of Kashi Go-lean crunch cereal and milk

5. Hummus or black bean dip, crunchy raw veggies, and some pita or tortilla chips

HTH,
Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#3 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Toast and cheese (gouda) has been really good to me lately

Fruit smoothies

Popcorn

Quesadillas

A lot of the things I used to enjoy eating sound really sick to me now. I've been craving things like potato chips lately, not something I'm usually all about.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#4 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM

I'm in the same boat. These all sound like yummy filling options. I've learned the hard way about filling a alien like hunger with fattening foods. It makes you even more neausous 10 min. later
#5 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Cheese sticks or chocolate milk are my bland protein of the moment.

But if you're nursing, you have to get food in, and so my thought is that you should eat whatever sounds good when you're that ravenous, and make healthy choices when you can. I had HG with my last pregnancy, and my midwife told me at one point, "I don't CARE what you're eating and drinking, as long as you ARE." So I drank Sprite and ate red licorice.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#6 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM

is there any way you could make healthy alternatives to the things youve been craving? like a whole wheat pizza bagel instead of the microwaved stuff? maybe prepare some ahead of time and heat up when a craving hits. i have been craving the same junk- the canned ravioli especially. i broke down and bought hot pockets last week, but im not sure ill give in the the ravioli thing. lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#7 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM

I've been eating:

Already cooked hardboiled eggs that are in the fridge.
Smoothies.
Pepperoni (the natural stuff)
jerky
dried fruit
nuts
cereal
leftover rice with soya sauce
soup

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#8 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Pasta with sauce is an quick and filling snack. Cook some noodles ahead of time and prepare the sauce (add meat for protein, also makes it more filling). Make snack sized portions in freezer/microwave-safe containers and freeze. If you always keep one or two thawing out in the fridge, it shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes to heat up. You can also throw some cheese on top before heating it up or add a slice of bread.
#9 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Oh, forgot to add:

Baked potato with veggie chili and cheese or sour cream on top

Baked sweet potato with butter, honey, cinnamon and pecans sprinkled on top

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#10 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

I think if you crave junk, once in awhile, go for it! I eat healthy all the time but pg I can't stand vegetables and I need to eat, so I eat whatever I can. At this point its about calories really. My experience is that if I eat healthy or if I have some greasy food--I feel sick either way an hour later. My oldest was built on strictly Taco bell bean burritos I'm ashamed to say. At 14 weeks I did try healthy foods again,

snack ideas:
bagel with cream cheese
Trader Joe's texas toast with that butter that's not real butter & has no trans fats.
cereal and rice or soy milk
fruit smoothies with keifer and flax & a whole mango or banana.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#11 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

I second the avocado. It's expensive, but it sure is satisfying! I just cut them in half and take out the pit. Usually I'll only eat half at a time, but if I have to, I'll eat both. Sometimes with a tasty salad dressing.

Also, a pleasure food that's not too bad: Sourdough English Muffins. I eat them with OG peanut butter and low sugar jam, toasted. With the sourdough it's so rich and satisfying!:

Oh, and I totally suggest ginger chew candies for those moments, too. They can help to alleviate the nausea and raise your blood sugar enough that you can make a better food choice. GL!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#12 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Make sure you eat snacks that don't give you blood sugar spikes, I think that really has a lot to do with why people get ms. Whole grains, whole fruits, beans, etc.
#13 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Lately I have been mashing chickpeas with a little mayo and some cherry tomatoes. : The mere thought of string cheese and yogurt makes my stomach turn, but rice and beans does not. I had some rice with chicken broth the other day for lunch.

Also, I eat sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese with red delicious apple slices. Sooooo good.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#14 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM

celery with pb
brocc/cauli with hummus or dressing
cheese cubes with grapes

I'm with you. I'm craving BAD foods. I give in sometimes. I need to fill my fridge with better snack ideas though.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#15 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
i have been craving the same junk- the canned ravioli especially. i broke down and bought hot pockets last week, but im not sure ill give in the the ravioli thing. lol.
I did the ravioli thing a few weeks ago. Hot pockets sound incredible right now! Maybe I'll go make a pizza on my whole grain english muffin...mmm.:

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#16 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbass View Post
I did the ravioli thing a few weeks ago. Hot pockets sound incredible right now! Maybe I'll go make a pizza on my whole grain english muffin...mmm.:
yes, i got myself a can of amys ravioli. somehow i convinced myself that the amys was healthier. lol. i did get more hot pockets too :

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#17 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Carrots with peanut butter

Apples with peanut butter or cheese

Hard boiled eggs (I keep them stocked in the fridge!)

Nuts (almonds are my favorite to eat straight, but I also keep toasted walnuts and sunflower seeds around to throw in a quick salad with some goat cheese for even more protein)

Yogurt with granola in it

Hunks of cheese

I'm thinking of getting some miso paste and keeping it in the fridge 'cause you can just add boiling water and voila.

Fry up some tofu slabs with tamari and nutritional yeast (although this does take a few minutes, I can tide myself over with a piece of fruit or one of the above snacks)

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#18 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM

At ten weeks I was living on Boost high protein shakes. Speaking from years of experience dealing with hypoglycemia, if you can stomach other things, then hummus on pita is a GREAT way to go. Or cheese on Wasa flat breads. The key is to pair an easy-to metabolise protein/ carb combo with FIBER. The protein and fiber will sustain you better over the long-term.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#19 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
At ten weeks I was living on Boost high protein shakes. Speaking from years of experience dealing with hypoglycemia, if you can stomach other things, then hummus on pita is a GREAT way to go. Or cheese on Wasa flat breads. The key is to pair an easy-to metabolise protein/ carb combo with FIBER. The protein and fiber will sustain you better over the long-term.
Yup, hypoglycemia here too. It seems harder to control recently...I'm so hungry, nauseated and shaky all of the time now. My body feels taxed out and out of wack!

Thanks for all of the snack ideas ladies...keep 'em coming!
#20 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 PM

:
#21 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 PM

Here's what I'm living on lately

Summer sandwiches:
Spread some cream cheese (or laughing cow cheese ) on white bread and then line with either slices of tomatoes or slices of cucumbers. Sprinkle generously with salt and some pepper. Top off with another slice of bread. Or fold in half to feel like a kid again!

Shortcut Corn Soup (chinese):
Dump a can of sweet cream-style corn into a pot. Add a couple of drops of vinegar (if your stomach's up to it), a splash of soy sauce, couple drops of siracha rooster sauce to taste. It's ready when it's heated through!

Rosarita refried beans. Sometimes with a dollop of full-fat plain yogurt (to simulate sour cream)

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#22 of 25 Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy-Red View Post
Yup, hypoglycemia here too. It seems harder to control recently...I'm so hungry, nauseated and shaky all of the time now. My body feels taxed out and out of wack!
Me too. It's so frustrating sometimes - I want to cry! Something that works for me for a few days will suddenly make me ill, and then it's one less thing on the list of foods that are healthy and even slightly appetizing.

I've got tater-tots in the oven right now. But I'm also going to make a green smoothie, so I figure it should somehow balance out.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#23 of 25 Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm living on grilled natural peanut butter and bannana sandwiches on whole grain bread. No butter or anything on the outside (yech) but I throw them in a little forman grill and they're quite tasty.
#24 of 25 Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Almonds
Carrots & Peanut Butter
Crackers & Cottage Cheese

That's all I have in my roster of snacking foods. mostly Almonds, because just 2-3 can make the queasies go away for me.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#25 of 25 Old 09-07-2008, 01:37 PM

my doctor suggested more protein snacks throughout the day, so I've been having pita and hummus, cheese and crackers, pb&J sandwiches.

It is such a pain to eat all the time when food is the last thing I want to think about! but frequent snacks have made it a little better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page