bruising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i went to take a shower last night, and there are bruises ALL over my legs! i sometimes get them when i walk into the tables at work (i teach preschool and all the tables are thigh level @@) , but now they're everywhere. could this be pg related? im not normally an easy bruiser, so if i do get one i remember where it came from. my legs are the only place i ever bruise unless i get a really serious bump btw. anyone have any ideas?? im going to google this, too. :

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#2 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM

I tend to get bruises on my legs more than anywhere else (especially when I used to teach preschool . It always seemed like some of the kids had corresponding bruises on their heads). But if you're getting a ton more than usual, you might want to have your iron checked. Anemia isn't uncommon in pg.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#3 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks wobbly, ill have to call the mw on mon. and LOL at the preschoolers head thing! i love teaching preschool, but i am so ready to be home just hsing my dd and hanging out with the new baby.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#4 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM

I would call soon and get your platelets checked. Maybe even go into an urgent care or something. I had a scare last year when not pregnant- I woke up with bruises all over my arms and legs and went to urgent care. My platelets were dangerously low- 15,000 when they should be over 150,000. It is called in many cases ITP. Hopefully it's nothing but it's not something you want to mess with . If you do have very low platelets and you cut yourself you could lose too much blood. Evidently it is more likely to happen during pregnancy too b/c your body is in a hyper-immune state. Good luck- again hopefully it's nothing but it's worth checking out.
#5 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanks jen. i put an urgent call in to my midwife and she should call me back soon. she was good about letting me know not to hesitate to call that number if i had a concern.

#6 of 9 Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 PM

I hope it's nothing. I know it totally freaked me out when it happened to me. I actually have to have monthly platelet checks during pregnancy to make sure it doesn't happen again. Update when you get the chance
#7 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

midwife called back last night and told me to watch for more bruising (which there is not- old ones are healing) and call the office on mon assuming nothing dramatic had happened in the meantime. i woke up last night scratching my thighs like crazy because i have such dry itchy skin, and i wonder if maybe that could cause bruising? i keep my nails long and i was scratching pretty hard. no bruises showed up though after the itchy episode, so im not sure about that.

#8 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM

That could cause the bruising I would think. Hope you don't get any more and that the bruises were just a fluke Just my opinion, but the next time you are in to your MW ask her to check your platelets just to be safe- it's part of a normal CBC. Hope your weekend ends well!!
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

im getting off work early tomorrow so i may see if they can squish me in to check the platelets anyway, just for peace of mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page