Hot Tub? Avoid or Limit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am taking ds down to the gulf this afternoon to spend the weekend at a relative's beach house. Hurricane Ike is going to make the actual beach no fun, but there is a pool and a hot tub. My mother told me that it is not safe for me to get in the hot tub at all, that my aunt had a miscarriage that she swears was caused by a soak in the hot tub. The pregnancy book I have says that the issue is my body temp going too high and that hot tub soaks should be limited to less than 15 minutes. What I usually do is alternate between the pool and hot tub, so my body temp would be lowered by immediately entering the pool after a short soak in the hot tub. Wondering what you all have heard about this. I certainly don't want to do anything dangerous for baby but based on what I have read I get the impression it is safe as long as I don't stay in there too long. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
I am taking ds down to the gulf this afternoon to spend the weekend at a relative's beach house. Hurricane Ike is going to make the actual beach no fun, but there is a pool and a hot tub. My mother told me that it is not safe for me to get in the hot tub at all, that my aunt had a miscarriage that she swears was caused by a soak in the hot tub. The pregnancy book I have says that the issue is my body temp going too high and that hot tub soaks should be limited to less than 15 minutes. What I usually do is alternate between the pool and hot tub, so my body temp would be lowered by immediately entering the pool after a short soak in the hot tub. Wondering what you all have heard about this. I certainly don't want to do anything dangerous for baby but based on what I have read I get the impression it is safe as long as I don't stay in there too long. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Can you turn down the temp in the hot tub? If you have control, I'd just turn the water temp down, wait for it to cool a little, and then limit it to 15 minutes or so.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 11:45 AM

got a thermometer? you could take your temp in the hot tub, and see how much it rises... although I don't know how safe that is, it could be an interesting experiment...

maybe just stick your feet in? maybe go shorter than 5 min? from what I've heard (and from reading the little safety signs on the hot tubs) pregnant women aren't *supposed* to use them, but maybe thats just because most women aren't careful about how much time they spend in there...
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 AM

I was just reading this recently in my preg book. It said to keep the temp below 100 and that if it's over 102 you shouldn't stay in more than 10 minutes.

You can put your feet in at higher temperatures though.

I like to set our jacuzzi at 98. Feels great and I can soak for a while.
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I soak in our hot tub several times a week, and have through 2 pg's so far. I do not turn the temp down, right now it's only 101, but as the weather turns cooler, it gets turned up to 104+. The time that it takes for your temp to rise enough that it would be dangerous to the baby, you would not be in there because you would be uncomfortable. Just take it easy, drink water before you go in, and when you feel like you are warm enough then get out. Moderation is the key, and have fun!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM

I've soaked in hot tubs for both my pregnancies. I just check the temperature of the tub, make sure it's 101 or lower and then I have no problems with my body temperature getting too hot.
Honestly I think you'd naturally get out and take a break if you're body temperature started to get too hot any way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page