Mothering Forum banner

Strange question about areolas.

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  IncaMama 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is TMI, but do your areolas grow during PG? Mine got darker right away, and I knew to expect that. But just overnight they now seem a lot larger. Mine have been on the smaller side but it seems like they are growing in size and I don't really like it.

I know this is kind of a dumb post but wanted to know if this is normal. If it is, do they shrink back down after birth?

Thanks!

#2 ·
This post isn't any dumber than any of the others...we're here to help each other, right?

So, I think the answer is, yes. They do get bigger and darker. Mine haven't changed a heck of a lot, but I've read that in lots of places. You're supposed to look like a big target for bf.

#3 ·
Mine have definitely gotten bigger and not darker, but definitely redder. They did that with ds too, but started to get smaller again after bfing was well established and he was a little older.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
mine were like huge brown dinner plates by the time i had audrey. LOL.
*snerk*

Mine are almost invisible normally, but they get pinker/redder during pregnancy (I'm a redhead) so it's hard to tell if they get bigger since I can't normally see them much to begin with!

#13 ·
It is amazing. I've seen my sister's, which are now enormous (I like the "dinner plate" analogy), and pre-pg were about quarter-sized. They're probably 3 inches in diameter now. So I guess I can expect the same. Totally weird looking, but the purpose is pretty cool!

#16 ·
oh boy. 3 sizes bigger? I'm not sure I could handle that as a permanent change, although I know many women who would be pleased with that (not sure if you are or not, and I'm not judging other's take on it). Even with this pregnancy (my 1st), mine have grown a bit, and all my friends say "your husband must be happy", but in truth, I don't think he is. He says he liked them the way they were. Anyone else run into this? I'm not going to worry about it while they are serving a physical function, but if they don't return to a manageable size (i.e., not in my way when I run or whatever), maybe that'll be the extra impetus to get BRAC tested.

Anyone else faced with the BRAC testing dilema? I've always said I'd get tested "after kids", which instead of being some distant point in the future may be upon me in a couple of years.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
oh boy. 3 sizes bigger? I'm not sure I could handle that as a permanent change, although I know many women who would be pleased with that (not sure if you are or not, and I'm not judging other's take on it). Even with this pregnancy (my 1st), mine have grown a bit, and all my friends say "your husband must be happy", but in truth, I don't think he is. He says he liked them the way they were. Anyone else run into this?
Oh just wait until they deflate like balloons after you stop nursing...

I think I'm a cup size SMALLER than I started out (but I was a D, so I had room to lose there...) but I've nursed four babies... and will nurse another. I always wanted tiny little breasts (the grass is always greener) that wouldn't sag to my waist by the time I was fifty, but hey... you get what you get. Can't help my shape anymore than I can help my tendency to get stretch marks.

Some of ya'll just got way better genes than I did!

#18 ·
Mine got bigger and stayed bigger, but they were only darker during pregnancy. They lightened up, but more to a dark pink rather than the maidenly light-rose they were before I had a baby.
I found the changes to my breasts very distressing. I always have had big uns, but they used to be so perky, but by the end of the pregnancy they were chilin out on my stomach-bump. Now they look, well, like my moms.
: They went from cantelopes to butternut squash. The um length of the nipples after nursing for a substantially long time is also very distressing to me. That was probably way TMI right?

#20 ·
Not TMI, not for me :) I like to know what I'm getting into... Yes, its for a good cause. But still. Would knowing this have stopped me from getting pregnant? not at all - I figured changes were bound to happen, and chances are that I wouldn't like them. Now I just know not to be dissapointed :)

And hey, the upside of BRAC testing is that if I am positive, I think the insurance co. will pay for reconstruction IF I were to do anything about it....not that I necessarily would (BRAC testing is an ongoing discussion with my sister & I...I had a little scare last spring, and can't help but feel like a ticking time bomb)

funny. I never considered myself vain, but apparently I am. Damn. I was happily disillusioned for so long. Guess its time to go out and buy some designer clothes... oh...wait... nevermind, I'm about to gain about 25-30 pounds (if I'm lucky) :)

#21 ·
I'm a small breasted one over here...my friend told me that for breast feeding her breasts never got bigger...just her nipples. And they got big enough to kind of sag down. That does not sound fun.
: But, whatever...that's what they were intended for, i guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.