Strange question about areolas. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this is TMI, but do your areolas grow during PG? Mine got darker right away, and I knew to expect that. But just overnight they now seem a lot larger. Mine have been on the smaller side but it seems like they are growing in size and I don't really like it.

I know this is kind of a dumb post but wanted to know if this is normal. If it is, do they shrink back down after birth?

Thanks!
#2 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM

This post isn't any dumber than any of the others...we're here to help each other, right?

So, I think the answer is, yes. They do get bigger and darker. Mine haven't changed a heck of a lot, but I've read that in lots of places. You're supposed to look like a big target for bf.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#3 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine have definitely gotten bigger and not darker, but definitely redder. They did that with ds too, but started to get smaller again after bfing was well established and he was a little older.

Elizabeth - 33. Mother to ds 12-19-04 and ds 01-27-12. new tadpole due 05-25-14
#4 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 04:04 PM

mine got bigger and darker, never went down but did go back to their normal color after bfing...

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#5 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM

mine were like huge brown dinner plates by the time i had audrey. LOL.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#6 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
*snerk*

Mine are almost invisible normally, but they get pinker/redder during pregnancy (I'm a redhead) so it's hard to tell if they get bigger since I can't normally see them much to begin with!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#7 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Than you all for posting! You made me feel a lot better about asking my question
It's not like it's the end of the world, but I do hope they shrink back down a little after nursing/PG is over. But again, it's really not a bad thing.
#8 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Yeah, you are definitely not alone. I don't think mine are darker, but they look bigger.
#9 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

i notice darker patches...but i'm still nursing dd so they haven't really changed all that much..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#10 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Yep, mine are definitely bigger and darker already. I'm kind of scared to see how big/dark they are by the time the baby arrives...

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#11 of 22 Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 AM

I actually just read in one of the pg books I have that they think they get bigger and darker so the baby can find them better. Interesting, huh?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#12 of 22 Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I actually just read in one of the pg books I have that they think they get bigger and darker so the baby can find them better. Interesting, huh?
The human body really is pretty amazing!!!!!
#13 of 22 Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM

It is amazing. I've seen my sister's, which are now enormous (I like the "dinner plate" analogy), and pre-pg were about quarter-sized. They're probably 3 inches in diameter now. So I guess I can expect the same. Totally weird looking, but the purpose is pretty cool!

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#14 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Mine don't change size or color. *shrug*
#15 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 AM

mine were like plates (LOL) also but after three extended nursers and now being done with nursing for two years I can say the areolas went back to "normal" my breasts are still 3 sizes bigger however.
#16 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 AM

oh boy. 3 sizes bigger? I'm not sure I could handle that as a permanent change, although I know many women who would be pleased with that (not sure if you are or not, and I'm not judging other's take on it). Even with this pregnancy (my 1st), mine have grown a bit, and all my friends say "your husband must be happy", but in truth, I don't think he is. He says he liked them the way they were. Anyone else run into this? I'm not going to worry about it while they are serving a physical function, but if they don't return to a manageable size (i.e., not in my way when I run or whatever), maybe that'll be the extra impetus to get BRAC tested.

Anyone else faced with the BRAC testing dilema? I've always said I'd get tested "after kids", which instead of being some distant point in the future may be upon me in a couple of years.
#17 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
oh boy. 3 sizes bigger? I'm not sure I could handle that as a permanent change, although I know many women who would be pleased with that (not sure if you are or not, and I'm not judging other's take on it). Even with this pregnancy (my 1st), mine have grown a bit, and all my friends say "your husband must be happy", but in truth, I don't think he is. He says he liked them the way they were. Anyone else run into this?
Oh just wait until they deflate like balloons after you stop nursing...

I think I'm a cup size SMALLER than I started out (but I was a D, so I had room to lose there...) but I've nursed four babies... and will nurse another. I always wanted tiny little breasts (the grass is always greener) that wouldn't sag to my waist by the time I was fifty, but hey... you get what you get. Can't help my shape anymore than I can help my tendency to get stretch marks.

Some of ya'll just got way better genes than I did!

#18 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Mine got bigger and stayed bigger, but they were only darker during pregnancy. They lightened up, but more to a dark pink rather than the maidenly light-rose they were before I had a baby. I found the changes to my breasts very distressing. I always have had big uns, but they used to be so perky, but by the end of the pregnancy they were chilin out on my stomach-bump. Now they look, well, like my moms. : They went from cantelopes to butternut squash. The um length of the nipples after nursing for a substantially long time is also very distressing to me. That was probably way TMI right?

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#19 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, now I'm getting freaked out!
It's all for a good cause, but I'm sad about the changes!
#20 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 AM

Not TMI, not for me :-) I like to know what I'm getting into... Yes, its for a good cause. But still. Would knowing this have stopped me from getting pregnant? not at all - I figured changes were bound to happen, and chances are that I wouldn't like them. Now I just know not to be dissapointed :-)

And hey, the upside of BRAC testing is that if I am positive, I think the insurance co. will pay for reconstruction IF I were to do anything about it....not that I necessarily would (BRAC testing is an ongoing discussion with my sister & I...I had a little scare last spring, and can't help but feel like a ticking time bomb)

funny. I never considered myself vain, but apparently I am. Damn. I was happily disillusioned for so long. Guess its time to go out and buy some designer clothes... oh...wait... nevermind, I'm about to gain about 25-30 pounds (if I'm lucky) :-)
#21 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 AM

I'm a small breasted one over here...my friend told me that for breast feeding her breasts never got bigger...just her nipples. And they got big enough to kind of sag down. That does not sound fun. : But, whatever...that's what they were intended for, i guess.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#22 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
same here.

they never really went down in size, though i've been nursin for almost 6 years straight. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page