who on earth AM i??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today, i went to the grocery store and bought myself chocolate pudding snacks, frozen pizzas, candy corn, cinnamon rolls, conventional pickles, and ketchup. nothing but the ketchup was organic or even natural. i'm typically a stickler. but, heck, today was the first day that i didn't puke up everything i ate in while. i actually have energy this evening. but feel the food guilt. i haven't gone back to meat, yet. trying to stay away from that. i love my veggie-ness.

i really need the calories, i guess.

AND, i, the no-TV queen, have been allowing my child about 1 hour of TV per day. she's 2 years, 9 months old. she has a LOT of energy. she does not nap (or else she's up till 11-12 at night). i can not be a good mother without an afternoon rest, especially because dh just started grad school, in addition to working full time, so he's fairly absent (wahhhh). so TV it is. she's watching a touch of PBS kids here and there (fuzzy, with old bunny ears) and a lot of musicals, but still. and it is only from 2-3, never any other time, and it allows me to still be outside with her, playing with her, feeding her.

i look at myself and my days and wonder who i am though! i didn't realize that having the icky first trimester with a toddler would mean pure survival.

anyone else in this boat?

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#2 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Oh, I am sooo there. My eating habits have been terrible for the last couple weeks, particularly the last week. I am usually very careful on what I put in my and my childrens mouth. Last week I bought oatmeal cream pies, fruit loops and gummy bears :. Oh, and juice (which we never have). (lots of fast food too -ewwww)I have also totally been slacking on playing with my kids- my dd has actually learned to entertain herself over the last couple week- which I guess is a good thing. But I have terrible mama guilt- It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually eat decently or take my prenatals, but I have just been trying to eat anything I possibly can- no matter what it is.

I do feel I am at the tail end of my morning sickness so I am hoping it fades soon because I know if I can start to eat better I will feel better- eating -and cooking is just suck a challenge right now.

This morning my dd woke up asking for ro-ro's (fruit loops)
#3 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM

I'm in the other boat, normally I struggle to avoid eating junk (including organic junk), but the nausea has made my eating habits better because the thought of eating sweet things or fried things is totally not appealing. Although, there was that night that the only thing that sounded good to me was Top Ramen-- and lord knows there's nothing healthy about that . And I hear you about needing the calories (as someone who is plus sized, "needing calories" is a very foreign concept ), I've been nauseous, but not vomitting and not really eating anything less than I did before (just different things), but I've lost 10 pounds. I think it's both the shift in what I'm eating and an uptick in my metabolism ( so this it what it's like to have a metabolism).

This is my first, but I feel like with just me, I'm in survival mode-- I can imagine it's much more difficult with a toddler!
#4 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Yup - I hear you! Guess what I ate for dinner last night and lunch today? Shells and cheese and tater tots! It sounded so yummy, and nothing sounds yummy these days...REALLY good for me...

But I hope I'm getting close to feeling better, too. I'm about 11.5 weeks I think. Oh, something sounds good right now! Rice Chex, here I come. : Talk to y'all later, and hang in there. Surely we'll do better next trimester, right?

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#5 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM

mmmmm......cinnamon rolls.....mmmmmm

thanks for the new craving
#6 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 12:08 AM

i had shells and cheese last night with dd. it was awesome. everything else about the 1st trimester sucks so much right now i figure a little junk food and tv cant hurt

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#7 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 AM

I had Wendy's for lunch. I didn't tell anyone :

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#8 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyann82 View Post
i look at myself and my days and wonder who i am though! i didn't realize that having the icky first trimester with a toddler would mean pure survival.

anyone else in this boat?
Well, I don't have the toddler, but I do have 23 fourth grade students from 8:45-3:30 each day, and then I come home to drive my 4 and 8 year old children to and from their after school activities...so yeah, I have also been in pure-survival mode. I can't believe how much frozen and prepared foods I have been buying, but preparing a meal is enough to make me puke (or fall asleep!) so it's all about getting myself to eat. And of course, my kids need to eat, too! The end of this particular phase should be over by October-ish, I'm hoping.
#9 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Count me in there too. I have no idea what I ended up bringing home from the grocery store yesterday. The cereal filled with chocolate looked good. Luckily we had to leave the food in the car so I couldn't even look at the frozen foods.
I also had these plans that once school started there would be no tv during the week. I just can't do it. I need to rest in the afternoon and don't have the energy to get the girls involved in doing something without me. I am just hoping that I get some energy soon.
#10 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM

You're not alone. My poor DS is watching too much TV and I'm eating what sounds good to my stomach. I've found that if it does sound good, I just can't choke it down. I guess it's better to eat crap than not eat at all! I hope so anyway!

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#11 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM

yup, I'm there too. Really horrible diet, although in the past week it's been getting a little better. We went away for the weekend to a beach house, and we had cinnamon rolls, pumpkin pie (we burned the crust in the junky old oven, so only ate the pumpkin part), and I brought smores fixings, and figured out how to make them in the microwave... HORRIBLE (but they hit the spot). I never eat this junk.

My nausea seems to be on the mend, which means I've been eating more real food. Had fish down at the beach, a ham steak, a turkey pot pie, some pulled pork enchaladas... yesterday I had a great lunch of veggie & chicken soup with an enormous spinach salad (which I didn't finish) - dh just watched me skeptically as I shovelled spinach in. I haven't been able to handle veggies at all. Apparently great salad dressings help. It is getting easier to get some protein, which is a relief.

if it helps: I was reading somewhere yesterday that pregnant women who eat chocolate are less likely to develop preeclampsia. dark choc. is better than milkchocolate... since then I've skipped the graham cracker and marshmallow and gone on to straight chocolate.

I went a few weeks without eating much at all - and I still weigh more than I've ever weighed before, which is depressing. It's possible that my metabolism hasn't sped up over all - I more or less quit biking because I felt so bad, which usually means instant weight gain for me (not a lot, but a little).
#12 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Feel better, mama. you are a good mama and stop feeling guilty. A lot of mamas have already chimed in about food choices, yours and their words and my thoughts leading me to believe that it really is largely about calories right now. Of course we do need to make healthy choices, but geez, if all you ate were vegetables you would have to eat truckloads daily to get enough calories and energy and fat.
I wanted to mention the tv. Like I said, mama, stop feeling bad about this. My child watches no tv at home now, at 7 years old. If I had cable I would allow him to watch very limited amounts of particular programs on Discovery or Animal Planet or elsewhere. PBS kids no longer appeals to him. But those are excellent programs on there and it saved my sanity when he was a toddler and preschooler. There is no way I would have been able to handle pregnancy or dealing with a baby when he was this age because he was super high energy and so smart that he needed constant stimulation. He wanted all of my attention all the time. And I would have absolutely lost my sanity and possibly even have been abusive towards him if I didnt have things like PBS and good videotapes to engage him on a regular basis so I could do anything else or have any time to think or be with myself. I never felt bad about this, and in fact KNOW it was good for him. Besides the fact that it gave me an absolutely essential mental/ physical/ and emotional "break," these well chosen programs contributed enormously to his learning. He learned ABC's and reading words VERY early and this was helped along by Sesame Street tapes. He is in 1st grade now and just tested to be reading at the level of a 5th grader at the 8th month of school. NOW he did not become this way by watching loads of educational tv, lol, but the fair amount that he did watch absolutely contributed. This could have also gone the other way if I saw tv as tv and he watched evening news or crap junk weirdo cartoons or adult programming or whatever. TV is a powerful medium and children should be very carefully exposed only to well selected appropriate content. That is what is great about PBS kids is that there is a large amount of just such material played there everyday.
sorry for so many words, but i felt compelled to share.
Have a wonderful and amazing day today!

Mama to 3 boys 

#13 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Had Burger King and then a migraine last night.

That'll teach me! :

Yesterday was just a total binge day. Too many carbs. The kids' snacks looked so yummy - fruit snacks and little bags of Gardettos and Kudos... I couldn't resist. And the Burger King (the first fast food I've had since I found out I was pg) clearly just pushed me over the edge into migraine-land overload.

OUCH.

<---crawling humbly back to my better-eating ways...

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#14 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
if it helps: I was reading somewhere yesterday that pregnant women who eat chocolate are less likely to develop preeclampsia. dark choc. is better than milkchocolate... since then I've skipped the graham cracker and marshmallow and gone on to straight chocolate.
I knew it! The chocolate was for the baby, doc, I swear! Haven't you read the studies about preeclampsia?

I'm so cutting edge

#15 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM

haha. i learned long ago that mother guilt will come in all forms, no matter how amazing we are at doing everything "right" (for our own standards). so i just feel the feelings and release. as soon as possible. the momentary guilt reminds me of how i wanna be better tomorrow, but there is absolutely NO VALUE in letting it consume you.

#16 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I had Wendy's for lunch. I didn't tell anyone :
Too funny! I've had Wendy's three times this week : Spicy Chicken sandwich and a baked potato! Yum!
#17 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM

what is about wendy's and pregnant woman jr bacon cheeseburger is one of the VERY few things that even tempt my hunger these days

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#18 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm backing away from this thread very slowly. I'm going down to my refrigerator and going to get some of the healthy, homemade chicken soup I have in there.

#19 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM

wobblykate, home made chicken soup actually does sound good to me. im totally going to be making a big batch of that this weeked. thanks for the idea, LOL.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#20 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
what is about wendy's and pregnant woman jr bacon cheeseburger is one of the VERY few things that even tempt my hunger these days

I went directly to the drive through after my last appt. and couldn't make it out of the parking lot without devouring the whole sandwich, fries, and frosty
#21 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 PM

I went to the grocery store after work and came home with cookies, nutty bars, and two donuts. : I feel so icky today that I've decided that if something actually appeals to me, I should just eat it and not worry about it. In my defense, I did also buy celery, because ants on a log sounds good for some reason. Or it did when I was at the store...now, not so much.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#22 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
I went to the grocery store after work and came home with cookies, nutty bars, and two donuts. : I feel so icky today that I've decided that if something actually appeals to me, I should just eat it and not worry about it. In my defense, I did also buy celery, because ants on a log sounds good for some reason. Or it did when I was at the store...now, not so much.
Mmmm I love ants on a log! With lots and lots and LOTS of ants!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#23 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM

I have been dying for a doughnut for so long...but I started reading the labels and they all have soy flour or soy oil and I've recently developed an allergy. Not Fair! UGH.

#24 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I have been dying for a doughnut for so long...but I started reading the labels and they all have soy flour or soy oil and I've recently developed an allergy. Not Fair! UGH.
Oh no! That's definitely not fair. Soy is in so much stuff.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page