I wanna do a poll, too! Getting ready to Get Ready - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When are you most likely to start preparing for baby?
NOW! 5 10.87%
When I'm safely into the second trimester. 7 15.22%
Maybe around 20-30 weeks 26 56.52%
Not until the last possible second (34+ weeks) 4 8.70%
I'm too busy to worry about it! 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so when are you going to start getting ready for baby? That is, getting the nursery going or making space in your room for baby, sewing, knitting, painting, whatever you plan to do? I feel like I want to start, but that it would be silly. I mean, why have an empty room sitting there for 6 months with no one using it? At the same time, I don't think I want to be moving furniture at 40 weeks, either . What are your plans?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 AM

We are the hugest procrastinators on the face of the earth (and probably a little lazy too ) so we will probably be doing everything last minute. :nana:

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#3 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When it comes to a nursery I have to wait at least until we move!!!! We are moving around December 1 (after we of course find a place!!!!) so right now my worries are trying to find a place that will fit us all! I bought my first little onsie the other day. It was a leap of faith for me as I still have a hard time believing all of this is real (although I do truly know it is). I cannot wait until my belly get's big and I start to feel baby. Oh, and it will be nice to see the baby at my next u/s on 9/29!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#4 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Heh - my next u/s is on 9/29 as well... :-)

I have to admit, I've already lined up all the stuff I'm borrowing - the actual crib wont arrive until around xmas, when I make the drive down to my sister's in NJ to pick it up. I want to wait until I'm showing before I head down there so my neices can see the baby belly (which will get old on my end very quickly, but will be neat for them). But I have bought material for making a new insulated shade, and I bought a couple of onesies - thinking that if all else failed, I wouldn't have to buy any other baby gifts for a while.

I talked to my mom yesterday for the first time since getting pregnant (we're not close, emotionally, although she lives 20 min away) - she wants to buy the baby some towels. Sure, whatever :-)

Other than that I'd like an area rug for the nursery and I need a dresser/changing table (I am not buying a dedicated changing table - seems like a waste to use it for, what, 2 years?). Then the clothes, but I have to see what my sister has saved for me first.
#5 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM

we dont' have a nursery....small house. and i really am itching to start knitting, but i'm afraid of jinxing anything. with my pregnancy this last spring i started knitting almost immediately and finished a couple things then m/c.. so i am really hesitant to pick up the needles again. the baby will be sleeping with us for awhile, so no hurry getting a room ready. the girls have their room that they share. we'll have to add on eventually, but that's a few years down the road still...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#6 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM

I already started making some longies and I bought some diapers on clearance. Other than that we haven't done anything and won't for awhile. There isn't much we need to do anyway. The babe will sleep in our room, and we won't be buying much.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#7 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We don't do a nursery, no point when all the DC still sleep with one of us! I have all my dipes, slings, I'll need to buy some new clothes since seasons will be different then my other two DC, but I'll wait until after baby is born to learn what the gender is so I'll buy then. The other thing I will really need is maybe a bassinet for downstairs since this house is so huge, a new infant carseat, and a dresser. We'll buy that stuff next year.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 11:51 AM

We recently moved into a new house with a nursery - it's already decorated and everything. So now I'm just scanning Craig's List for pre-owned baby stuff to fill it!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#9 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM

I've decide not to buy any clothes because everyone else loves to buy baby clothing and there is always second hand. I picture us getting some presents and truthfully I think people want to buy clothing and toys so I will buy the boring stuff.
I bought a playpen/basinette/change table all in one last night second hand for $50. But I really want to wait a bit longer.
#10 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
We recently moved into a new house with a nursery - it's already decorated and everything. So now I'm just scanning Craig's List for pre-owned baby stuff to fill it!
How perfect!

We're lucky because we're not the first ones in our family to be having a baby so we don't have to buy any furniture except a dresser. But our nursery will be our current office, so it will take a lot of juggling to get everything to fit in here. And I want to clean the carpets...there are a few mystery stains that DH swears he had nothing to do with .

I have to admit that I've bought a lot of clothes second hand...I'll probably have have to get rid of a bunch when we find out the sex! Silly, but when you see such a deal on something you like it's hard to resist! A few months ago (before I was even pg) I found this awesome organic palm moses basket on ebay for $15. I had to buy it. We'll use it downstairs. I'm going to make my own mattress out of wool blankets (and cover with a sheet, of course). I figured it would also be good to throw in the car and take to grandma's, etc., since we don't plan on doing the infant carrier-style car seat.

#11 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
How perfect!

We're lucky because we're not the first ones in our family to be having a baby so we don't have to buy any furniture except a dresser. But our nursery will be our current office, so it will take a lot of juggling to get everything to fit in here. And I want to clean the carpets...there are a few mystery stains that DH swears he had nothing to do with .

I have to admit that I've bought a lot of clothes second hand...I'll probably have have to get rid of a bunch when we find out the sex! Silly, but when you see such a deal on something you like it's hard to resist! A few months ago (before I was even pg) I found this awesome organic palm moses basket on ebay for $15. I had to buy it. We'll use it downstairs. I'm going to make my own mattress out of wool blankets (and cover with a sheet, of course). I figured it would also be good to throw in the car and take to grandma's, etc., since we don't plan on doing the infant carrier-style car seat.
That is a FABULOUS price on a Moses basket! You GO girl! (Gotta love Ebay - except for the shipping. lol)

I was buying clothes before I got pg, even. Talk about a jinx. Ha. I went to a mom-to-mom sale at the kids' school, got a swing, bouncy, car seat, stroller, and bunches of layette stuff (neutral onesies and those sleeper/nightgown things I love that make diaper changes way easier in the middle of the night!)

You'd think I'd have all this stuff, but noooooooooooo I sold it all on Ebay after the 6 yo was born, thinking we were DONE.

Oops.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#12 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM

Our baby will sleep with us for as long as possible, but he will have a room as well. We have a 3rd bedroom here for him and i have hated it being a junked storage room. I started clearing it out and primered the walls very soon after i found out we were expecting. DP moved the very same heavy boxes i dragged out right back in there, and it has been sitting half junked quarter finished for some time. We did move in a small bookshelf which has baby toys and books (saved from ds) waiting. And I have bought some boy clothes, couldn't resist. Yesterday I finished the closet, cleared out, painted freshly white with the shelves gardener's green (leftover from painting my bathroom). And the few baby things I saved or have bought are neatly arranged in there. I am trying to get dp to paint the ceiling light blue, hang the ceiling fan, and the paint trim white, but I still have not decided on the perfect (light green) wall color. After we paint, which I hope to have done within the next month, we plan to pull up the carpet. We hope the wood floor looks nice underneath, but otherwise dp manages a flooring department and so we have no shortage of rug opportunities, lol. I want to get this done, because my sister is ready to give me her crib (which baby may never sleep in, lol). I also have a wooden twin bed frame i plan to put in there as well, so I have to buy mattresses and then will have fun dressing the beds in blue and green patchwork. I had a room like this for ds when he was born. He went into the crib in there a time or two for a nap or to bed before me, but we used the twin bed a whole lot. It was our favorite place to read and nurse during the day and we slept together in there some nights when 3 in bed felt like too many, lol. So for me the twin bed in baby's room is much more important than the crib. I would also like to paint some pictures for the walls and hopefully make lots of neat things for this baby (cloth dipes especially) beginning in a couple of months.

Mama to 3 boys 

#13 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 PM

We're hoping that DH's family will kick in some help with renovations, so we're waiting till 2nd trimester till we tell the family we're expecting and then begin to talk about what changes we'd like to make, like getting rid of old icky carpet that I cringe thinking of a baby crawling on. Then I'll also start researching other stuff we'll need like car seat and what baby sleeps in and clothes and all that.

unschooling in nyc

#14 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM

I do a little bit here and there until the baby is born.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#15 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM

I don't know what to vote for I kind of am already ready. We have all the 'stuff' a baby needs and we don't 'do' a nursery...we learned that lesson last time

The only thing I have to do is make meals to freeze and bring out the baby clothes and cloth diapers and put them in the dresser/change table in our room. So I'll probably do that when I'm about 30 weeks or so.

I might want to buy a sit and stand stroller but I'm going to wait until the baby is at least 4 months old, because I don't think the front seat can go flat, and I don't want to use a infant carseat on it.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#16 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM

I am starting now.....at least making lists of what to do!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#17 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM

I feel like I have very little to get ready. I need a box spring for my other queen mattress, so we can have one HUGE giganto bed for all of us to sleep confortably. REally, all I need to do is find the burp cloths and wash the clothes and gather the diapers from my friends who are borrowing them. It'll take no more than a week, I bet. There always seems to be so much sitting around and expecting at the end, already...I'd rather be busy, then, than bored like last time
#18 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM

meh, not much to do. baby will be in with us, we don't really use those baby accoutrements much. we'll probably get a moses basket and i might get a stretchy wrap for the newborn phase (i have an ellaroo but i like the softness of the moby, etc)

other than that, i suppose we'll get some clothes. LOL i'm not stressin' it too much. it all comes together. as long as i have my boobs, my arms, and a carseat, we're good to go.
#19 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 PM

i am the same as you incamama... only necessities for me are boobs, arms and a carseat...although i will use my moby early on as well.. we never had a stroller for dd#2, she's always been in carriers and now is old enough to walk on her own and prefers it. when she is really tired dh will put her in the ergo on his back...but less is more to us..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#20 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
as long as i have my boobs, my arms, and a carseat, we're good to go.
that is so right on, tho i would absolutely also need dipes and a waterproof mattress cover for my bed. With ds1 I bought and was given SO MUCH baby stuff and used very little of it. But i didnt think to cover my mattress and wound up having to replace it. I never had any milk shortage, that is for sure. lol
Seriously to new mamas, lol. You can cross out the stroller and playpen but add waterproof mattress cover to your list of essentials if you love your mattress.

Mama to 3 boys 

#21 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM

i dont really have to get much except diapers, and maybe a few clothing items. we'll be moving right before or after the baby is born , so i am going to be really busy with that. i want to get everything done before my third tri so i can put some energy into packing, etc.. the baby will be sleeping with us, so no nursery to decorate. im hoping we find a house with a cute room to decorate for the kids to share, but we'll see.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#22 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM

i'd definitely recommend waiting until your kiddos get here, try out some of those other kinds of things from friends of yours (sit 'em in a swing for a minute to see if they like it, if that's something you want to have). both of my kids hated swings, so buying them would have been a waste. that's just one example of things i didn't need.

as it turns out, we didn't really need our crib or our kids' dressers. we never used the co-sleeper we bought either, really.

and yeah, forgot about dipes. LOL need those too. i CD'd for a while with #2, but i think i'm not gonna with #3. i know myself better now.
#23 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM

I said around 20-30 weeks, although after the new year is really how I'm thinking about it. DP's busy season goes on for another month or so, Christmas is busy for me at work, etc. Maybe not until 34+ weeks.

And, we still haven't really decorated this place for us! We moved in February, and we had practically no furniture. Money and time issues kept us from carpeting the living room (required, it's co-op) and getting a couch and such. We're out of money, but we have all the big stuff now. We finally can maybe start to think about hanging pictures or something.

bftoddler.gif

#24 of 31 Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 PM

I've already started planning and thinking things out in my head. But that's just what I do (with EVERYTHING).

My obstacle (or perhaps blessing) is that DH and I have a tiny house. While I have plans to keep the baby in our room as long as I'm BF'ing - I can't seem to find the right bassinet/co-sleeper that's "for me". I already have a dresser that 's a tall lingerie chest that I plan on using for the babies clothes, and I'm forgoing a changing table. Sooooo... any suggestions? I'm in love with the cariboo bassinets, but they're so expensive - and the baby can't stay in them long. I'm considering a small portable crib.... but I'm not sure!?

I'm also looking for affordable wool onesies... do they even exist?

TIA!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#25 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
I'm also looking for affordable wool onesies... do they even exist?

TIA!
I wish! Let me know if you find any. I'd love to have a couple Niji wraps to add to the stuff I plan to make, but can't justify the price. I actually saw some on craigslist a while back, but I missed them by a day or so :. Someone was actually selling them for $4 each.

:

#26 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
Heh - my next u/s is on 9/29 as well... :-)
Me, too!!

As far as getting ready...our guest room will become the baby's, so I am not in such a hurry to get rid of that. Also, realistically, the baby won't be using his/her room any time soon after birth. I don't know. I somehow feel like with two children in our home already, this third one can just slip right in and be one of us without all the fuss. But is that fair to #3? Does this one deserve as much fuss as the other two, or can I let it go?
#27 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
Me, too!!

As far as getting ready...our guest room will become the baby's, so I am not in such a hurry to get rid of that. Also, realistically, the baby won't be using his/her room any time soon after birth. I don't know. I somehow feel like with two children in our home already, this third one can just slip right in and be one of us without all the fuss. But is that fair to #3? Does this one deserve as much fuss as the other two, or can I let it go?
I'd let it go, I WISH I didn't fuss so much with the first baby. All that time and money wasted on 'things' that weren't needed. I felt silly giving away so many things when he was 8 months or so, all these 'things' felt soooo important when I was pregnant and I really thought it would be impossible to have a baby and not have this stuff.
So at 8 months the glider went, the crib, the playpen, the swing, the change table.
So this time it will be really simple, and I'm glad I'm thinking 'less is more'.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#28 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
So this time it will be really simple, and I'm glad I'm thinking 'less is more'.
This is our first and we're thinking 'free is better'

Seriously, we're trying to go low-impact and used is best, hand-me-downs better. We don't want a lot of stuff, but I like to decorate/arrange . And no other little ones begging for my attention.

#29 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whenever the midwife tells me is the latest I can order my birth kit will probably be when we get motivated to prepare in other ways as well.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#30 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm pregnant with my first and came into a free stash of used cloth diapers the month before this little one was concieved. DH thought I'd completely lost it, but changed his mind once he saw how well cared for they were/are and I explained how much they would cost new.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page