heartburn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else? i didn't get m/s too badly this time, and it is now pretty much gone...i'm growing, peeing constantly, etc...and now...the dreaded heartburn. the other night it came on within 5 minutes of drinking water! oh the joys... anyone else? what do you do to help it? i find either topo chico mineral water, or baking soda and filtered water do the trick for awhile...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#2 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM

One of my tell-tale pregnancy signs is the heartburn. Last time, I tortured myself and made myself suffer through it, until it got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night. Then, at like 9 mo. I started a regimen of tums.

This time, I have papaya enzyme tablets that my sis picked up at Trader Joes (I live in an un-populated, somewhat remote area and couldn't find them anywhere...) They're chewable and yummy and they do the trick, so far.

You can also eat papaya and pineapple in any form. The enzymes in both (I think it's called bromelain) help digestion. I had a friend who swore by the dried papaya spears throughout pregnany.
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

i was worried because i wasn't getting heartburn at all and with both my girls it was one of the first signs...of course now it's hitting, so i'm not worrying quite as much...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Oh I had started a thread on here about that- my heartburn and acid reflux is killer. Pineapple is seriously painful for me, but someone recommended celery which is worth trying!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM

My midwife said to try the papaya enzymes, which kind of work for me. They help but don't completely take care of the problem. I tried Tums too, but those are so chalky and disgusting that I just can't use them. Maybe in a month or two once my nausea goes away those might be worth trying again.

My midwife also said that if nothing else works, Zantac is fine to take during pregnancy. So far I'm just sticking to the papaya tablets, though.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 AM

Raw almonds work well. They're high in calcium which is what is in Tums.

Grace
#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

chewing gum seems to help me... maybe its an illusion, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page