Creating Community... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Community is what we make of it... SO with that in mind... does anyone have any ideas how to make our DDC more active/fun/close, etc?

Here are a few I thought of to start:

Book Club
- read one birth book a month and discuss (things like Misconceptions etc.)

"Spotlight On" - pick a new mama (or 2, depending on how many of us there are?) each week who gets to be in the spotlight, we all get to ask that mama questions

"What's For Dinner?" thread (always fun to know/share - recipes, too!)

Anyone else have some ideas?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
Community is what we make of it... SO with that in mind... does anyone have any ideas how to make our DDC more active/fun/close, etc?

Here are a few I thought of to start:

Book Club
- read one birth book a month and discuss (things like Misconceptions etc.)

"Spotlight On" - pick a new mama (or 2, depending on how many of us there are?) each week who gets to be in the spotlight, we all get to ask that mama questions

"What's For Dinner?" thread (always fun to know/share - recipes, too!)

Anyone else have some ideas?

I actually love all those ideas!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#3 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 PM

I like all the ideas!

Personally though, I don't know that I would have time to read a book... but I'm lazy like that! Hee.

I like the idea of showering attention on 1 or 2 mamas.. but some women may not be keen on all that attention.

I DEFINITELY like the sharing recipes idea....

IMO

I'll try to come up with some other ideas....

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#4 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM

i like all those ideas. we could just make lists of people who had time/ desire to do them (things that are more involved like the book idea or the person of the week) and those people could participate? the whats for dinner idea is always lots of fun to read. ill try and think up some more ideas too.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 PM

i love all those ideas. i really am hoping to form more of a community with our ddc group as well. the one i was in with my youngest dd is still going strong on our own private board. it's been so wonderful to keep it going for over 3 years now..

community is a good thing..:

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#6 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
jkg

I think all of those ideas are wonderful! Although I probably won't be participating in the What's For Dinner thread until my appetite comes back.

I think the Spotlight threads are really nice because we get to know a little more about every mama than we would just by reading random posts. If everyone is interested, I'd be happy to organize it...
#7 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
If everyone is interested, I'd be happy to organize it...
See, that's what I love to hear! I'm a big idea-girl but not so big on the action part...

So YES, you're hired! Take the ball! Run! Run!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#8 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 PM

I would be up for participating in any/all of these ideas.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#9 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM

I like the spotlight idea & the whats for dinner idea... the dinner thing might help me plan for the next night or whatever. In losing my appetite, I also lost my ability to plan.

I'm not sure I want to read pregnancy books... I'm kind of all consumed by this pregnancy as it is, and reading is my escape mechanism. I read books like Misconceptions before I got pregnant - to prepare myself mentally... (I'm reading a book about a guy who bicycled across Siberia in 1989 right now - kind of interesting).
#10 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM

Sounds great, mommas - I'm in! Thanks for sharing the ideas. Like Kai28, I lost all ability to plan when I lost my appetite. My poor DH was living on sandwiches and fast food there for a while. I could definitely use some help to get back into the swing of things!
I may not read whole books, either, but I read parts! And I could benefit by gleaning from what others got out the books.

I'm excited! I feel like I've just been invited to my first slumber party! :

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#11 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM

ooh, ooh...I like it all. Especially the spotlight thread. It might be easier if we could read online articles occasionally instead of books. I like the book idea, but don't have $$ to go buy any or access to a library (scrimping and saving right now!). I have a few borrowed books, and that's it. Might also help with those who don't have enough time to finish a book.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#12 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
jkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
See, that's what I love to hear! I'm a big idea-girl but not so big on the action part...

So YES, you're hired! Take the ball! Run! Run!
OK...I'm off to start a new thread for people to sign-up!

As for the book club...what if we read light-hearted fiction that had to do with mothering/community/women? Just an idea...
#13 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 AM

The online article idea might work well. more accessible, shorter time commitment. free, no getting to the library.

fiction/non-baby related could work, but we'd get less participation I'd bet. which is ok in & of itself, but might not build community so well.

my 2 cents.
#14 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM

I love all those ideas
I still am not very comfortable about writing in English and as this is my first pregnancy, I don't have a lot of advices to share with you so, yes, I would certainly love to get to know you in a more "community" way
#15 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like all the ideas as well. I think we should definitely start the book one. I was in the book store the other day and sat there so confused as there are so many books I didn't know where to start! I already have what to expect from my last pregnancy. If I were to get advice on what to read and have other mama's to talk about it with I'd be more motivated!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#16 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM

great ideas. i won't be reading anything other than stuff to finish my dissertation, though. LOL i'm so behind because of this morning sickness. i only have 2 months to finish!!! *faint*

but the spotlights and dinners sound great. i won't be adding much yummy stuff to dinners any time soon, though, either. maybe i should just do a kickass spotlight as my participation. LMAO!
#17 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM

I like all of those ideas! I think the suggestion that we could read through articles instead of books was great, too, maybe whoever starts the "weekly thread" could put an article in for people to read if they want to?

Personally, I love the weekly threads. I don't always post, but it makes me feel much more connected, in a "yes, that is exactly what I'm feeling" kind of way!

Maybe we could have a thread where people share their blogs? I know some of you have them, but if we put them in one place I'm more likely to add them to my favorites and get to know you outside of the ddc. Mine is here.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#18 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM

good ideas.
how about some kind of "game" thread too?

Mama to 3 boys 

#19 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 AM

My last DDC did swaps, which were a lot of fun. Unfortunately MDC has tightened up rules, so they have to be run out of the swaps board- which excludes people that have less than three months and 50 posts. But we should all be good in a few months if people keep posting

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#20 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey mamas, just a gentle reminder about the DDC Guidelines, found here. Specifically:
Quote:
We would like to remind you that many topics important to expectant parents should be discussed in the appropriate forums. We reserve the right to move threads started in a DDC to an appropriate forum if necessary.
Some of the things you're talking about here are fine; spotlight threads, sharing yummy meals that you can keep down (or that aren't too tiring to make!), even the occasional silly game thread all are OK. Swaps, however need to go in the swaps forum, and book clubs would need to go in the book club forum. If you want a book club that is limited only to your DDC, you would need to take it off the boards.

It sounds like this is shaping up to be a fabulous DDC. If I can be of any help, or if you have any questions or concerns about what I wrote, please feel free to PM me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#21 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Hey mamas, just a gentle reminder about the DDC Guidelines, found here. Specifically:

Some of the things you're talking about here are fine; spotlight threads, sharing yummy meals that you can keep down (or that aren't too tiring to make!), even the occasional silly game thread all are OK. Swaps, however need to go in the swaps forum, and book clubs would need to go in the book club forum. If you want a book club that is limited only to your DDC, you would need to take it off the boards.

It sounds like this is shaping up to be a fabulous DDC. If I can be of any help, or if you have any questions or concerns about what I wrote, please feel free to PM me.

Would "article" discussions count as a book club?

Actually, so many folks have said they have such limited time to read as it is, I think that idea's been pretty well quashed anyway...

We could do weekly "topic" discussions, though... based, perhaps, on articles out there... that could be interesting and would facilitate us getting to know one another.

#22 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 01:22 PM

It might be fun to have a crafty mamas thread where mamas can exchange ideas for what they'd like to make for their kiddos and post pictures of works-in-progress and finished projects. I think that would be specific enough to belong here rather than on the arts and crafts forum, since it would be like, "What are you making for the small person that you're currently gestating?"

Actually, maybe I'll go start that thread right now...

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page