Itchy red spots on legs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay - a few night ago, I noticed my knee was itching while I was trying to sleep. I saw red spots later, and it looked like what happens when you get an infected hair follicle, only this was a bunch of them! They healed up the next day, but by night, I had more on the upper back of the same leg, really itchy. These hung around alittle longer, but I think it's because I scratched them so furiously. Last night, I noticed they were on the FRONT upper part of the same leg, and now I'm starting to itch on the other leg, too.

Any idea what this could be? Again, all the spots are on/surrounding a hair follicle. This has never happened to me before, and it's really irritating. My husband and son don't have anything like this happening to them, so it's not bugs in our bed (didn't suspect it anyway, since it's all around follicles).

Please help me! Thank you.

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 AM

have you shaved recently (& used shaving cream)? switched laundry detergents, or lotions, or soaps, or anything like that? or, maybe your body is developing a reaction to the stuff you've already been using - perhaps your skin is becoming more sensitive? Have you suddenly started wearing pants (it is getting cooler out)?

My skin has been doing some weird stuff - not what you've mentioned, but itchy spots, like eczema, breaking out, then dry & itchy... and my hair seems to be growing faster...
#3 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 AM

I would say eczema if its on the knees. I tend to get breakouts on my knees and elbows often.

Baby Boy due in Early March!
#4 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's not primarily on my knees. Now it's on the upper part of the legs, too - front and back. I do shave, I've used the same type of razors for 10 years and use a new one when one gets dull. Maybe it's the shave gel I'm using - I'll try using a mild soap for a few days and see if it helps. I have worn pants a couple of times, but not for long. I HATE stuff on my belly right now as it makes me feel more sick.

Thanks for the advice!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#5 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbass View Post
Well, it's not primarily on my knees. Now it's on the upper part of the legs, too - front and back. I do shave, I've used the same type of razors for 10 years and use a new one when one gets dull. Maybe it's the shave gel I'm using - I'll try using a mild soap for a few days and see if it helps. I have worn pants a couple of times, but not for long. I HATE stuff on my belly right now as it makes me feel more sick.

Thanks for the advice!
Sounds like chiggers to me. Have you been walking outside lately? Open field, woods??
#6 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's not chiggers. I've had chiggers many times, and they always end up around my waist and other places higher up than legs, unless it's on the ankles. Good thought, though!

#7 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbass View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not chiggers. I've had chiggers many times, and they always end up around my waist and other places higher up than legs, unless it's on the ankles. Good thought, though!
Chiggers can appear anywhere on the body, I have had them all over and also in isolated areas (just my anlnes/legs).

Good Luck in your quest for the answer.
#8 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM

chiggers seem to like the places where clothes bind. i used to work in the field in texas (cave surveying) and i'd get them in the most sweaty spots. which there were a lot of - but mostly on the waist, at the sock line, under my bra straps... don't miss those guys at all.
#9 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM

wait - i get the same thing! it's bizarre, right? they just pop up on my thighs (mine are kinda in a cluster) and they itch! and then they disappear! i think i remember getting them with my 1st pregnancy too. maybe it's something hormonal??
#10 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai28 View Post
chiggers seem to like the places where clothes bind. i used to work in the field in texas (cave surveying) and i'd get them in the most sweaty spots. which there were a lot of - but mostly on the waist, at the sock line, under my bra straps... don't miss those guys at all.
Same here.
#11 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 PM

that happens to me sometimes if i get sweaty and don't bathe. reading that back it sounds like i'm saying you're dirty. but really, i'm saying that *i'm* dirty. and maybe you're...sweaty? *shrugs*
#12 of 12 Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I shaved today and used some mild hand-made soap instead of the normal shave gel, and the spots aren't itching tonight (not YET, anyway, knock on wood!). So maybe it was a reaction to the gel. We'll see...maybe it IS connected to hormones somehow. Isn't everything? Thanks again, everyone!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page