Another problem rearing it's head - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just when I think I've overcome a challenge a new one appears.

First it was low progesterone so now I'm on suppositories and supplements.

Then it was teh diabetes. My numbers are really close to great but she's not happy with them. I have one week to get my numbers to non-diabetic ranges! Sheesh if I could do that I woulda! But I contacted a very good dietician and I'll be starting my new diet tomorrow so I can probably avoid insulin injections.

But today! They called and said my thrombophilia panel showed I am genetically predisposed to blood clots and they want me to start a baby aspirin per day immediately and go to the perinatologist for some genetic counseling and to determine if I'll need to get DAILY injections of some horrific drug that might prevent a possible problem!!! What the hell? I've had enough!

I don't want a daily injection of a drug that may prevent something that might happen. Not into the whole treat something before it's even there, thing.

What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Did you have any of these problems in your first two pregnancies?

I'm sorry you are facing so many things.
#3 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgara1111 View Post
Just when I think I've overcome a challenge a new one appears.

First it was low progesterone so now I'm on suppositories and supplements.

Then it was teh diabetes. My numbers are really close to great but she's not happy with them. I have one week to get my numbers to non-diabetic ranges! Sheesh if I could do that I woulda! But I contacted a very good dietician and I'll be starting my new diet tomorrow so I can probably avoid insulin injections.

But today! They called and said my thrombophilia panel showed I am genetically predisposed to blood clots and they want me to start a baby aspirin per day immediately and go to the perinatologist for some genetic counseling and to determine if I'll need to get DAILY injections of some horrific drug that might prevent a possible problem!!! What the hell? I've had enough!

I don't want a daily injection of a drug that may prevent something that might happen. Not into the whole treat something before it's even there, thing.

What should I do?

Have them re-test you first!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#4 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Second opinions are a good thing! Sheesh. PITA. Sorry

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#5 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't have any of these problems in my first two pregnancies. I had a little high blood pressure right at the end of my first pregnancy which caused my induction, but no high blood pressure in my second pregnancy at all.

I read through everything I could find on thrombophilia and I don't have any risk factors. But I do have some sort of genetic marker. i guess the perinatologist can tell me what my risks are. I mean if my risk of getting a blood clot is 90% that's something I would be worried about, but if my risk is 1-2% then no way I'm taking medication for a problem that may never happen.
#6 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 PM

I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with

Seriously though, if you need to do the daily injections, it's not the end of the world (the drug would either be Lovenox or Heparin- personally, I'd rather have Lovenox). I can't tell you specifically for you personally, but in general, the risks of a clotting disorder are significant. I do know a mom who died from a blood clot that formed during her pregancy & her baby will never know her. Also, it's thought that blood clots may disturb the placenta & cause still births.

I don't mean to scare you, but I know you're nervous about the injections, so I just wanted you to know why someone would subject themselves to that.

Good luck mama We'll be here to support you no matter what.
#7 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I just want to know what my risk is. If it's high, I would of course do what I could to prevent a problem.

My other issue is all the cost. Just to see the perinatologist is going to cost me $600 out of pocket. My insurance is supposed to cover any pregnancy complications and I think this would qualify but I have to get that from them in writing before I see the doc. The doc wants to do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm viability for $300 and I told them I just had 2 u/s to do that very thing and why do I need another one a week later? And I got the "it's standard operating procedure to do an u/s on all patients every time." Lordy.
#8 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgara1111 View Post
I guess I just want to know what my risk is. If it's high, I would of course do what I could to prevent a problem.

My other issue is all the cost. Just to see the perinatologist is going to cost me $600 out of pocket. My insurance is supposed to cover any pregnancy complications and I think this would qualify but I have to get that from them in writing before I see the doc. The doc wants to do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm viability for $300 and I told them I just had 2 u/s to do that very thing and why do I need another one a week later? And I got the "it's standard operating procedure to do an u/s on all patients every time." Lordy.
Oh gosh, don't get the ultrasound! Explain that you're there for a consult because of the genetic condition, not because of any concern for the baby right now & your out-of-pocket cost. If the person on the phone says "you have to have it, standard procedure" after you explain that, ask to talk to the office manager (the clerical person you get at first really might not have any idea).

W/ you insurance, have you called them to tell them that you have a referral to the peri from your OB/GYN? Would it help if your OB/GYN pre-certified it w/ your insurance? That's what mine had to do when I saw a peri, but it was all taken care of by my OB's office.
#9 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I thought they had pre-authorized it and everything. But when I asked today to be sure she called me back and said it's not covered because it's considered a maternity issue, not a personal health issue. I think if I have a genetic marker for a blood clot disorder that it's personal!

I'm just so demoralized right now. This baby is costing an arm and a leg to make. It's going to be 10-20,000 by the time I'm done. And I just refuse to take medication unless I absolutely need it. I abhore the idea of taking something just in case. No I say. I draw the line!

I just read up on the Lovenax and it says if you're on it and you get an epidural it can cause spinal paralysis. Like I need that on top of everything else.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page