could this be a big deal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted in the chat thread that I woke up the other day with strong pain in my legs and behind. It scared me at first and then I decided it was just muscle soreness from having spent more than an hour crouching/ squatting in my garden. It has not gotten any better, my legs and bottom HURT. It seems like it has spread to my abdomen, too, now. Today I had to buy a dress to wear to a shower tommorrow night, and while I was in the changing room (full mirror, bright lights) I saw some crazy dark exploded veins on the backs of my thighs. Like nasty ugly purply explosions- my grandmother has these; I thought it was an old person thing.
Not trying to freak out, of course, but when I googled veins and pregnancy, I read about thrombosis, which is apparently a big deal.
I am not going back to the ob as my insurance fell through, and am supposed to meet with the midwife next week. But we are meeting in a cafe, so I am wondering if she is even planning to bring her doppler and obviously there wont be any exam. I am kinda halfway thinking about going to the er. But not interested in spending money unnecessarily. hoping this is not a big deal. But walking is hard and sitting and getting back up is very painful and it seems like if this was just muscle soreness from crouching too long in the garden that it would have gotten better by now. I would really like to hear some opinions on this. Please and thank you.

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 PM

do you have any insurance at all? Either way, I'd go to a primary care doc or an urgent care center rather than the ER.

W/ deep vein thrombosis the skin would be more likely to be red & hot to the touch, but not purple like you've described.

It sounds like varicose veins which can be very painful (though they are painless for some people).

It's probably worth getting checked out, but I definitely wouldn't go to the ER for it.

Good luck mama
#3 of 5 Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Well, I've definitely had pain from squatting in the garden last a couple of days (pulling weeds for 3 or four hours can do that to a person). However, if you have something visible it might be unrelated. I don't know what to say, other than 1) try and get your MW to meet at your house or somewhere private so she can do an exam, or 2) urgent care as pp suggested. I'm sorry!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 5 Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
jkg

I had bad varicose veins during my last pg. I ordered some compression hose, which did help at night (I didn't wear them during the day, although I probably should have).
#5 of 5 Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 PM

for what its worth - DH noticed the veins in my legs have gotten a lot more noticeable (darker), especially on the backs of my legs - behind my knees, back of thighs. I'm having calf pain right now - think I have a varicose vein there, and have for a couple years due to a lot of field work over the years. I spent a few hours walking around on concrete today in crappy shoes, which explains it. Maybe make sure you're wearing good, supportive shoes for a week or so?

I'm getting butt/thigh pain which is either sciatica returning from an old back injury, or possibly "pelvic girdle pain" as someone here suggested. Not related to the veins.

Not sure if thats at ALL helpful or not. Maybe some combination of weeding & normal physiological changes?

also - I spend a lot of time in "normal" life dealing with intense muscle pain & fatigue - and when I do something unusual, like a new, super-hard workout, it's not the day after that hurts the worst - it's usually the 2nd and 3rd day after that are the worst, and then it usually gradually gets better from there.

my abs have been sore since I got pregnant. Like I did a horrible ab workout. for 7 weeks now, continuously. tender to the touch, strained feeling. hurts to laugh, hurts to sit up. I think as our bodies adjust, the abs have to adjust, so maybe that explains that part?

Have you had a chance to put your feet up? Sometimes when I have a muscle pull, I'll wrap the thigh with an ace bandage, apply an ice pack and put my feet up for a while. It usually helps (sometimes I do that just so I can climb the stairs to go to bed/shower). but you can't wrap your butt, obviously... I've had to put a pillow under my feet on the coffee table - the hard edge is causing leg issues now.

Do NOT use 'Icy Hot' during pregnancy. I forgot how I learned that - maybe its on the label, but I was a little dismayed about that. "now how am I supposed to function?" was my reaction.

hopefully something in there will relieve you/help you find some physical comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page