Crafty mamas, come on in here! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 194 Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait until I'm finished to judge my skill That photo is just a nice one that I borrowed off of someone's blog- I've never make one before. This is my first sweater project; I'm scarf/hat knitter who graduated to knitting socks last winter, and am trying to take it up another notch now.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#62 of 194 Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM

subbing...
I thought I had posted on here, hmmmm.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#63 of 194 Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Wait until I'm finished to judge my skill That photo is just a nice one that I borrowed off of someone's blog- I've never make one before. This is my first sweater project; I'm scarf/hat knitter who graduated to knitting socks last winter, and am trying to take it up another notch now.
ah...GL!!!!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#64 of 194 Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Just gonna pop my head in here quickly. I am a crafty Mama too. I knit, crochet, and tunisian crochet. After we hopefully find out speck's sex, I will really get to work on some crafty items, in the mean time I think I am just going to stick with making nice comfy socks for me. If I ever get a chance that is...

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#65 of 194 Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM

I have officially started the patchworking
i saw an ad last week for a sewing shop that i didnt know existed and went to check it out. i came out with around at least a dozen different blues and greens to add to the stash i already had. i washed all the fabric yesterday and ironed it. then i cut some 4 inch squares and split them and made a variety of gorgeous pinwheel blocks. i'm holding on that, because this afternoon i am gonna go to my grandma's shed and retrieve my boxes of quilt books and magazines to look for patterns or inspirations. I have enough beautiful fabrics to make several baby quilts, some of which i am hoping to turn into cash (or maybe trade) for the baby, who will not need too many quilts. it has been since january since i have made any, so it feels really good to get rocking again.

Mama to 3 boys 

#66 of 194 Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

MelW, that sweater pattern is adorable! It should be totally doable as a first sweater too. I love that there are so many great baby sweater patterns.

Goldiemom, I have a pair of socks for me that I started last winter and all I have left is part of the cuff on sock #2. I gotta get that finished! It's just starting to get cold enough here to wear my handknit socks. I also have a couple pairs that need some mending, so I should get going on that too.

Ms.shell, I want to see some quilt block pictures!

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#67 of 194 Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM

I a, a sewer and crocheter. I make holiday and seasonal dresses for my daughter now and stuff every once in a while. Just made her a cute holloween themed dress she's been wearing a lot lately. I make all hollween costumes as well.
I want to find out what sex the baby will be so i can start making clothes. I haven't made anything for the baby yet.
After I find out the sex I'll be making gender specific clothes.

I do have some generic colors that I can start making into things. I have super soft flannel that has pooh bear all over it that can be a warm blanket or whatever else.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#68 of 194 Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 AM

I"m a Needtobe sew-er (with out the hyphen is a bit stinky! lol) and newbie Knitter...I have a bazillion projects ready to go...but I just havn't been able to find the desire to get them done! (even before my BFP!)

I spent enough on fabrics and notions to purchase a very expensive designer diaper bag...but I like things customized, so there's no way I could find everything I wanted, unless I make it myself. The downside of creativity!

I also need to make about 4 diapers for my DS...I think I"m doing okay on the smaller sizes, but we definetly need some large nighttime diapers. I have 4 pieces of PUL, I just can't figure out what other fabrics to use. I have some bamboo french terry, and some zorb... I was thinking about making a pocket diaper, but all the fabrics I could use against the skin...in my tests are Repelling like rain-ex on a windsheild!

For baby (or possibly for Sister's baby...due in 3-4 weeks) I"m making a chenille sleep sack. I'm a new knitter, so its not so pretty...especially the ribbing! But it is super soft and I know it will be warm! I only have about 1½ inches to go on the ribbing and to make a drawstring cord.

I also need to make some longies for DS, I have some 3ply organic wool, and some hand dyed wool that I want to use. I hope it is soft enough!
I also have a bag of wool sweaters to recycle into footed longies and soakers.

And that is just the baby stuff I need to make! I also have 4 curtain projects, and about 5 different fabrics I bought to make into aprons...and who knows what else!

Erica, wife to Eric, mama to six and expecting our lucky number 7!

#69 of 194 Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM

I saw the post crafters and assumed scrapbooking would be one of them...I'm not a sewer though I did do surgery on a decapitated bunny this morning. He's recovering well! Anyway just wanted to share with those fellow scrapbookers I just ordered a cricut machine and am so excited to work hard on getting DD's album's caught up before baby comes...I have ages 1-4 to do! Yikes! But I'm motivated! Any help on places to get quick ideas for layouts would be great, that's the part that takes longest for me... If I'm out of line by talking about scrapbooks in this thread just overlook me!

Okay so I read through the rest of the posts and they are all about knitting/sewing...maybe I should start another thread about scrapbooking...
#70 of 194 Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM

I'm sure there's some scrap bookers around here, they just haven't shown up yet....you can be the first!

#71 of 194 Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM

I think scrapbooks make the best babybooks! it is just not a talent I have, I'm a little ocd about making things even, so I have trouble making the pages look nice, but random, know what I mean?
Do you have pictures to share? Maybe you can convert some of us!
#72 of 194 Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I finished the kimono I was knitting for the babe! : So excited! I can't wait to share a photo. I will soon, I promise. It's the first item I've knit from my head - no pattern. I wanted something seamless, but not raglan sleeves. I ended up with a grand total of 16 sts to kitchner - 8 at each shoulder - and that was good enough for me. Now to find the perfect button to close it!

Next up, an LTK soaker.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#73 of 194 Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 PM

on the edge of my seat here...pics soon! I'm a terrible knitter, but enjoy other people's handy work!:

#74 of 194 Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smocklets View Post
I think scrapbooks make the best babybooks! it is just not a talent I have, I'm a little ocd about making things even, so I have trouble making the pages look nice, but random, know what I mean?
Do you have pictures to share? Maybe you can convert some of us!
I had to force myself not to be so picky! I would spend two days on one layout...it took me forever to get through my first album... But with children, you don't have that kind of time! I generally use a catologue idea to start and then make it my own. They always end up different than the original idea, which makes it my own and then I'm not spending a ton of time thinking! I will post some pics, thanks so much for asking! How do I post them? I"m still new to the chat stuff.
#75 of 194 Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Ok, nausea has officially subsided (not gone away completely). I am finally able to knit again!! Yay! Today I started a little tiny soaker for the babe. If this works out, I may make an official list of things I want to make.
#76 of 194 Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroebot View Post
I plan on making some onesies out of vintage t-shirts though I've had a bit of trouble finding ribbing...I thought I'd be able to get it at Joanne's but the lady I asked said I had to make it myself????
I bought some material by 1/8 yd at Joann's to make the ribbing myself. I haven't actually made it yet. I figured I would cut it into strips and then iron a fold down the middle, fold the sides under and then iron the folds.
#77 of 194 Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ok, here's what I've got so far:

My almost seamless kimono

and

Baby Bolero.

Hope these work now! Thanks, Mel!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#78 of 194 Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM

honeybunmom~ The links aren't working for me!!! I really want to see!

#79 of 194 Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 AM

I want to see too!!!

I'm crafted out lately, I'm working on a flower fairy costume for my three year old- it involves cutting out a ton of petals for the skirt and hat.... they are driving me a little nuts.

I just finished my son's costume, but it was easy. He wanted to be a ghost. We have a really cute book we got from a library book sale about a friendly ghost, so he's "Georgie". I got a round white table cloth from the thrift store and a hood from a premade adult ghost costume, took it in and drew a smile and a button nose and little eyebrows on it. Cut a hole for the head, put some darts in because I cut it too big... and sewed a place for his arms. Then drew some buttons on the front. If only my daughter's was this easy.

I'm very nearly finished knitting a lace sweater vest for my mother that I started ages ago, ripped out and then started again... put down for too long and now I'm finally getting done.

I really want to start on my "Op Art" baby blanket for the new baby but I'm stuck with the start of it and I need a friend to help me but she couldn't make it to the knitting group today.... which is the only reason really that I decided to work on my mother's vest....

Whew! When I'm done with Halloween I have to make a Waldorf doll that I sold someone at our preschool auction last spring.... she wants it for a Christmas present but I've still been putting it off but I must get it done.

Wowza. Too much craftiness around here.
#80 of 194 Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 AM

I love all these pictures of mama made stuff. I am a sewer/serger kinda girl. Wish I knew how to knit etc. I will be making fitted diapers and new mama pads for me and a few blankets. I am excited to get started but like other am nauseaous when I actually pull the equipment out.
#81 of 194 Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Honeybunmom, those baby sweaters are so cute! I especially love the bolero. What a lucky baby, to have such great mom-made clothes!

#82 of 194 Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

My tie-dyeing supplies are supposed to get here today, so I'm hoping to do some dyeing this weekend. I've never tie-dyed before, and it'll be fun to learn how! I had been planning to build a collection of onesies, etc from Goodwill for the dyeing project, but then I realized that brand-new ones are only like two bucks apiece (if you buy five-packs). Rather than wait until I find enough in thrift stores, I'm just going to go buy a bunch in a few sizes. I also want to find some pants that might end up getting dyed in solid colors to coordinate with the tie-dyed onesies. Should be a really fun project. I'll post pics once it's done.

#83 of 194 Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Here I am
I used to knit booties for my friend's babies but were too lazy to knit anything now but... :: I started again and cannot stop anymore
here are the first booties
#84 of 194 Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Cute booties!

#85 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I saw the post crafters and assumed scrapbooking would be one of them...I'm not a sewer though I did do surgery on a decapitated bunny this morning. He's recovering well! Anyway just wanted to share with those fellow scrapbookers I just ordered a cricut machine and am so excited to work hard on getting DD's album's caught up before baby comes...I have ages 1-4 to do! Yikes! But I'm motivated! Any help on places to get quick ideas for layouts would be great, that's the part that takes longest for me... If I'm out of line by talking about scrapbooks in this thread just overlook me!

Okay so I read through the rest of the posts and they are all about knitting/sewing...maybe I should start another thread about scrapbooking...
No worries! I'm a scrapbooker too (notice the name ). I posted on this thread, back on page two about a month ago...but you're right, lots of different kinds of crafters here.

I have been scrapbooking for almost 15 years (you should see my early books!!! AHHHH!!! It was right when acid-free first became popular).

I too am behind on my books, but I try and not think about it (too overwhelming)... I need to do: ages 2-7 for Stephen, ages 1-4.5 for Natalie, and I haven't even started on Madeleine's albums yet!

But I also love doll-making (Waldorf style) and last night I was up late making dollie dresses for the new dollies my girls are getting for Christmas. For me, my crafting comes in waves...some weeks/months I do nothing but scrapbook and at other times (like now as we are approaching Christmas) I am doing a lot of dolls and doll related crafts.

It nice to see another scrapbooker!

Happy Scrapbooking!
#86 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilek View Post
Here I am
I used to knit booties for my friend's babies but were too lazy to knit anything now but... :: I started again and cannot stop anymore
here are the first booties
OOOH!!! Soooo Cute!!

#87 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM

I think I'm finally ready to start sewing! I've been to exhausted and nauseous up to now. Anyway, my creative juices are not flowing at all and I'm having some trouble thinking of cute stuff to sew without knowing our little one's gender. I'm going to make a few pants, and a blanket but otherwise Help stimulate my brain!!

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#88 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Little jumpers like this are easy. Especially if one of your boys already has a set that you can fold in half and trace. Then just make the straps separate and use a button or snap to attach them. I think these took me about an hour. I used t-shirt material. It's even quicker if you use an old t-shirt and make sure you're re-using the t-shirt hem for the bottom of the shorts.

Also, bibs are easy...I'm thinking of making some out of bandannas and toweling.

#89 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! It's great to see pictures of people's awesome projects! I love Ilek's booties and Kate's jumper.

Here's a picture of some of the onesies that I tie-dyed last weekend:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/...975ec1d5a8.jpg

My favorite is probably the "Gay Pride Baby" onesie on the upper right. It should be just about the right size for the kiddo to wear to next year's Gay Pride celebration here. I've got about 25 onesies in all, and I was a little disappointed in a couple of them but I was happy with how most of them turned out. Total cost per onesie, including all of the tie-dyeing supplies, came to about $5 each.

#90 of 194 Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
yay! It's great to see pictures of people's awesome projects! I love ilek's booties and kate's jumper.

Here's a picture of some of the onesies that i tie-dyed last weekend:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/...975ec1d5a8.jpg

my favorite is probably the "gay pride baby" onesie on the upper right. It should be just about the right size for the kiddo to wear to next year's gay pride celebration here. :d i've got about 25 onesies in all, and i was a little disappointed in a couple of them but i was happy with how most of them turned out. Total cost per onesie, including all of the tie-dyeing supplies, came to about $5 each.
cute!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page