Crafty mamas, come on in here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can talk about making things for our little passengers. We can show pictures of past projects for inspiration, and we can show pictures of works-in-progress and finished projects as well. Baby things are so cute and fun to make, and I'm excited to see what everybody else has in mind for their little ones! Oh and also, if you're making anything pregnancy-related for yourself (like maternity clothes or whatever) that's fair game too!

As far as my plans go, I want to make at least one or two sweaters for my baby. Handmade sweaters are my usual baby gift for friends and family, and I might even re-make one or two that I've made for other babies, because I loved them so much when they were done. Here's one that I made for my niece (from a vintage pattern in my grandma's stash) that I loved and might make again if I'm having a girl:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/...544f9351_b.jpg

Right now I'm knitting a sweater for myself, which I plan to make belly-friendly by closing the bottom half of the side-seams with buttons instead of actual sewn seams. That way I can in theory just unbutton the buttons from the bottom up as my belly grows.

Anybody else have projects planned or currently in progress?

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#2 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
As far as my plans go, I want to make at least one or two sweaters for my baby. Handmade sweaters are my usual baby gift for friends and family, and I might even re-make one or two that I've made for other babies, because I loved them so much when they were done. Here's one that I made for my niece (from a vintage pattern in my grandma's stash) that I loved and might make again if I'm having a girl:

That's a really pretty sweater!

I'm working on knitting some wool soakers right now from a free pattern.

I also recently bought 2 pairs of jeans on clearance and some ribbed tanks which I'm going to sew into maternity jeans
#3 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 PM

I have a whole bunch of pants that I've received from my aunt who was cleaning out her closet. It makes my wardrobe big enough that I can probably alter some things without too much worry.

I'm going to make diapers from this pattern. I've also been saving soft wool sweaters to make diaper covers, although I'd love to make some lower-profile wool wraps, as well.

I've also got a cashmere turtleneck that I'd like to convert to a baby sleep sack, something like this, with the neck part going around baby's chest. I'm not sure if I should felt the cashmere first, or not, though. Any ideas?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can talk about making things for our little passengers. We can show pictures of past projects for inspiration, and we can show pictures of works-in-progress and finished projects as well. Baby things are so cute and fun to make, and I'm excited to see what everybody else has in mind for their little ones! Oh and also, if you're making anything pregnancy-related for yourself (like maternity clothes or whatever) that's fair game too!

Right now I'm knitting a sweater for myself, which I plan to make belly-friendly by closing the bottom half of the side-seams with buttons instead of actual sewn seams. That way I can in theory just unbutton the buttons from the bottom up as my belly grows.

Anybody else have projects planned or currently in progress?
oh my, that sweater is CUTE! i love knitted hats on kids. would that be something a beginner could master (say, by the end of my pregnancy- lol) ? and if so, are there any good books/ online tutorials for beginners?

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
oh my, that sweater is CUTE! i love knitted hats on kids. would that be something a beginner could master (say, by the end of my pregnancy- lol) ? and if so, are there any good books/ online tutorials for beginners?
I second the gorgeousness of the sweater...totally beyond me. So lovely! What a lucky baby you will have!

#6 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 03:28 PM

That is a really lovely sweater! Something about this pregnancy has created an aversion to knitting. Seriously. It sounds crazy, but knitting makes me throw up (along with nearly everything else). I'd love to see inspiration from others' projects so I can make a 'to-do' list of baby craftiness!
#7 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 04:15 PM

I have at least 4 huge knitters amongst my family and co-workers so I'm going to let them go crazy and I'm going to do some sewing/quilting. I'm finally getting a bit more energy and dh will be gone next weekend... I plan on going craft crazy. I plan on making some onesies out of vintage t-shirts though I've had a bit of trouble finding ribbing...I thought I'd be able to get it at Joanne's but the lady I asked said I had to make it myself????
#8 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerri View Post
That is a really lovely sweater! Something about this pregnancy has created an aversion to knitting. Seriously. It sounds crazy, but knitting makes me throw up (along with nearly everything else). I'd love to see inspiration from others' projects so I can make a 'to-do' list of baby craftiness!
ive developed aversions to lots of textures and random things. the paint in my preschool classroom art closet makes me want to spew, lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#9 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 PM

i was gonna knit up some socks but knitting also makes me sort of nauseous right now too. i'll probably make some hats too, though our babies will be born in near warmth...

i'll probably make some pants/longies
#10 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm finally able to knit and crochet again(for a short time) without getting sick, so I started a shrug for myself. I have several dresses that are sleeveless but work really well for maternity so I wanted to extend their wear through the winter. I am doing a pattern from the Happy Hooker, which would be a great book for beginners too. And the shrug is short, so I don't have to worry about my growing belly.

I'm planning to make some knit pants from T-shirts with the pattern that was shared earlier in this group. Also planning to do some cloth diapers/wool covers from recycled clothes.
#11 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM

I have a pattern for a baby hat with bunny ears I'd like to try to make (I believe it's crochet, I can't knit to save my life). I think I'm gonna make at least one crochet blanket for the little one. I haven't tried quilting since I was a teen so maybe I'll try to make a small quilt, I have a huge bin of scrap fabric that needs to go, that's an excellent way to do it.

I need to get my bum to Joannes for supplies... maybe next weekend when I'm in the area...?
#12 of 194 Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, thanks for all the nice comments on the sweater. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I've also got a cashmere turtleneck that I'd like to convert to a baby sleep sack, something like this, with the neck part going around baby's chest. I'm not sure if I should felt the cashmere first, or not, though. Any ideas?
I'd think about felting it first, if only because you're going to want to be able to wash it once it's in use, right? I've never felted cashmere, though (the very thought seems so decadent!) so I don't know too much about how it behaves. That sleep sack looks really sweet, and the baby wearing it looks so happy that now I want to make one! Actually I kind of want one for myself too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
i love knitted hats on kids. would that be something a beginner could master (say, by the end of my pregnancy- lol) ? and if so, are there any good books/ online tutorials for beginners?
Totally. There are tons of free patterns available at this site. For a lot of these, all you need to know how to do is cast on, knit, and decrease. If you need a good basic book, Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch tells you the basics and IIRC has a simple baby hat pattern in it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroebot View Post
I have at leastI plan on making some onesies out of vintage t-shirts though I've had a bit of trouble finding ribbing...I thought I'd be able to get it at Joanne's but the lady I asked said I had to make it myself????
Wow, I have no idea how you'd make it yourself unless you were going to knit it from scratch. Or maybe cut it from rib-knit fabric? I've seen a small selection of narrow ribbing by the yard at my local independent fabric store, but I can't remember ever seeing it at Joann's.

#13 of 194 Old 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Ooh.....I'm a crafty mama!! Right now I have several works in progress as usual.

My main project is a sweater I am working on for DD...in a nice cadet blue color....lots of cables in this one....so it keeps me from getting bored with just plain knitting. I have the back done and I am halfway through the front on this one...I started it before I was preggo with baby # 2.

Then, last night I had a brainstorm so I started a second project....this one is for me. I was thumbing through one of my yarn catalogs and saw a pattern for a scarf that had a mitten and a glove attached to either end. Of course I don't have the pattern, so I am going to make something up as I go along. I am always cold in the winter....always wear a scarf and never seem to have anything to keep my hands warm....so I think this will be a great project and really cool when it is done. So a scarf with mittens knitted in...is project number 2.

I also plan on making something for baby number 2 as well as something for my sister in law who just found out she will be expecting her first in May. I saw a cute little layette set (sweater, booties and hat) that will be perfect for her...it also uses that yarn that knits up into a fair isle pattern so that should make it interesting as well.

So many things so little time!! Happy crafting all. Of course none of this covers my crochet projects!!

~Aurora
#14 of 194 Old 09-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciar_aurora View Post
I was thumbing through one of my yarn catalogs and saw a pattern for a scarf that had a mitten and a glove attached to either end.
I've done an easy kids' version of this for my nephew...just make the scarf 6 inches too long on each side and fold the end up to make a pocket and stitch up the sides. He loved it (mostly just liked filling the pockets with toys ).

#15 of 194 Old 09-21-2008, 04:24 PM

that green sweater is gorgeous. i want to knit! i'm left handed tho and the instructions in books and online confuse me and i make a mess. i am hoping to meet some one irl to SHOW me how to cast on, etc and help me to know what im doing.
i do sew and quilt and want to get started on baby stuff (especially diapers) soon. but first i have to clean my craft room which is really out of hand! the cut table is piled high with papers and beads. and everything is all in a big jumbled up mess i am making it my most important chore to get done this week, tho. i should go in there today but i can tie dye in the kitchen and i just bought some baby onesies and some blank handkerchiefs for ds and have a few things saved up and some blue and green dye to play with. that will be more fun for today than organizing, lol (so much more fun to make messes than to clean them). i am glad you all started this thread and i love the links.

Mama to 3 boys 

#16 of 194 Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
i do sew and quilt and want to get started on baby stuff (especially diapers) soon. but first i have to clean my craft room which is really out of hand! the cut table is piled high with papers and beads. and everything is all in a big jumbled up mess i am making it my most important chore to get done this week, tho. i should go in there today but i can tie dye in the kitchen and i just bought some baby onesies and some blank handkerchiefs for ds and have a few things saved up and some blue and green dye to play with. that will be more fun for today than organizing, lol (so much more fun to make messes than to clean them). i am glad you all started this thread and i love the links.
I have to do something about my crafting area too. The problem is, the cat boxes are in there (it's a big room in the basement at the bottom of the stairs, probably meant as a family room) and it's just too stinky with my new superpowered nose, even though DH scoops the boxes at least every other day. Most of my knitting takes place in the recliner upstairs, but my sewing machine and ironing board are down in the basement and aren't usable for me right now.

And ooh, I'm excited to do some tie-dyeing too! I have to get my hands on some quality dye though. The only dyes in my stash are acid dyes for protein fibers, and I don't want to just use RIT because it's faded quite a bit for me in the past. What do you use, and where do you get it?

#17 of 194 Old 09-21-2008, 09:15 PM

I'm a sewer, so I'm planning to make their first outfits as well as diapers and such. I'm going to use the mosaic moon one size pattern, so they can use them a long time. I'll probably make lots of baby gowns too, since they're so easy to make.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#18 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM

I've got some longies started, but I haven't done anything with them for weeks now. Hopefully I'll feel better and get motivated soon. I plan on sewing some pants and shirts too, but I don't have anything specific planned yet.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#19 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM

I used to knit little shoes to my friend's babies (some pictures here and, err, if I find the other link i'll send it) but I haven't done anything yet for our little one. I likes so much the last one (last picture too) that I never finished (nor gave) it so... I guess that will be for us

I'm thinking of buying a sewing machine and take some classes... To be continued
#20 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm at work, so I can't see any of the pictures right now that have been posted (image storing sites are blocked). I plan on knitting the Mommy Snug from Interweave Knits for myself. I started the Mommy Hoodie from Erika Knight awhile ago - not sure I'm going to finish that. Fortunately, it can be worn post-pregnancy, so, I'll eventually finish it.

I've knit 1 soaker for the baby, but I'm not crazy about it. I may re-do it . . . I'll definitely be knitting a bunch more and longies. This past Saturday I received my first order from Plumknit Yarn Supply. It is some super yummy cashmere dyed in the Bunny Hop colorway by Dyeing to Fly. I started swatching it on the bus this morning. I'm planning a kimono sweater for the baby with this stuff.

Oh, and I've knit the Baby Bolero for the babe.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#21 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 AM

I'm knitting the Mommy Snug from IK for me, and I'm currently looking for a baby blanket pattern to knit or crochet. I also plan on making a little bunting or sweater and a bonnet. If we have a girl I plan on crocheting her baptism dress, but that will have to wait till we have the u/s!

Of course, these projects will be added to the throw I'm crocheting for my mother for Christmas, the afghan I'm trying to finish for DD's Christmas, and the Harry Potter scarf I'd like to finish before it gets cold. :

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#22 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 AM

I'm working on finishing the baby quilt for my 5 month old... as soon as that is done I'll start on the baby quilts for this baby. It should be a little easier, because last time we didn't find out the gender, so I got fabric for boy and girl quilts, and started each. Once he was born, I just worked on the boy quilt, but my goal was to finish both, and then put the unneeded one away for another baby. So this time the girl quilt is already started, and I'm hoping to finish it and another boy quilt before baby comes. I can dream, right?

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#23 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Here are some photos of some projects I've recently finished. The t-shirt that Baby is wearing is actually for the baby-to-be; the doll is just a good newborn size to test out newborn clothes. The shirt is made from an old t-shirt of mine that had a couple of holes. You can't see it very well, but there's a cute pocket on the chest. The other clothes actually belong to the dolls

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#24 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

I just started my first baby blanket (crocheting). I'm really excited. I found a really easy pattern, and it's working up really fast. Nothing like instant gratification. I'm only using about 18oz of yarn, so it will be a small lap blanket when the baby gets bigger, but perfect when it's smaller.

I've dabbled for years.. I made a hat for myself last winter (knitted) - but never really had the inspiration to make something on a larger scale... I always knew the switch would flip on when I started a family.

I'm dying to learn how to make socks...

Craft away ladies! I'll post pictures of the finished product.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#25 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Here are some photos of some projects I've recently finished. The t-shirt that Baby is wearing is actually for the baby-to-be; the doll is just a good newborn size to test out newborn clothes. The shirt is made from an old t-shirt of mine that had a couple of holes. You can't see it very well, but there's a cute pocket on the chest. The other clothes actually belong to the dolls
So cute! and such lovely models!

#26 of 194 Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Cute photos! And what a good idea to try newborn clothes on an appropriately sized doll. Now I'm thinking I need a baby-sized dress dummy!

#27 of 194 Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 AM

How fun! Just yesterday I decided on a baby blanket I'd like to knit (here's a pic on someone's blog). Now I just need to figure out the pattern - it doesn't look too hard for the body, but I may end up finding another edging. I'm thinking some neutral color like sage or yellow chamomile since I don't know if it's a girl or a boy!

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#28 of 194 Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that blanket is incredibly gorgeous. I want to make one too! I wonder if that blogger would be willing to share her pattern? We could have a knitalong!

#29 of 194 Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post
How fun! Just yesterday I decided on a baby blanket I'd like to knit (here's a pic on someone's blog). Now I just need to figure out the pattern - it doesn't look too hard for the body, but I may end up finding another edging. I'm thinking some neutral color like sage or yellow chamomile since I don't know if it's a girl or a boy!
Gorgeous! The orange color's nice, too.

#30 of 194 Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Wow, that blanket is incredibly gorgeous. I want to make one too! I wonder if that blogger would be willing to share her pattern? We could have a knitalong!
I LOVE the knitalong idea!!

Update! I did some sleuthing and found the pattern for the lace! It's called Elfin Lace and here's a link to another blogger who's put up the charted pattern. Looks doable! Now to find that edging....

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page