#1 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
jkg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take it away, mama! :

When are you due?

How have you been feeling so far?

Are you having any cravings or aversions?

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now?

Do you have siblings?

What is your favorite childhood memory?
#2 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Have you started collecting things for your baby yet? If so, what are they?

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#3 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Who (if anyone) do you want with you when you deliver?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 01:58 PM

How did you choose your handle / user ID?

What are you looking forward to about the birth?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#5 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 PM

I asked these of WKate, so I'll ask the same q's here, just to be equal and everything:

Who's your favorite celebrity?
Which Breakfast Club character would you have been in high school?
Your favorite food?
What's the worst and best thing that's ever happened to you?
If you had a superpower, what would it be?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#6 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM

What is your favorite book?
favorite movie?

best childhood memory?
#7 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 PM

When are you due? March 28th. I had no clue and just went for a dating ultrasound this week. I thought I was due in April so I joined you guys! But someone said I could stay so here I am.

How have you been feeling so far? Wonderful! I had about 3 week of nasuea but other then that just great.

Are you having any cravings or aversions? Kraft Dinner that is about the only thing I have been wanting that we normally don't eat. And no aversions but milk needs to be very fresh.

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now? I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. And we currently live in Yellowknife, NT. And if you don't know Canada very well it is worth google mapping that. We also us to live in Inuvik, NT.

Do you have siblings? I have on older brother and we don't really talk.

What is your favorite childhood memory? Cuddling with my mom.
#8 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Have you started collecting things for your baby yet? If so, what are they?

Not really. I didn't want to do/think anything about there actually being a baby until after the first trimester because I kept reminding myself about the rates of miscarriages. But I was 13 weeks on Saturday and bought a play pen second hand.
#9 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Who (if anyone) do you want with you when you deliver?

My DH and several very qualified people. I haven't really thought about this yet. I will for sure give birth in a hospital, the one here is amazing so I'm told. My DH is trying to get out of the delivery.
#10 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM

How did you choose your handle / user ID?
I am a very happy person and just content. I feel really blessed in my life.

What are you looking forward to about the birth? My Dad is coming up. I am so excited to see his and my DH's emotional reactions to the birth. When we told my Dad he cried. And DH cried during our wedding.

Okay really I just want the little baby!
#11 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM

Who's your favorite celebrity? I like Drew Berrymore because she is just so cute.

Which Breakfast Club character would you have been in high school? No idea.

Your favorite food? Spicy stir-fries. And omeletes.

What's the worst and best thing that's ever happened to you? The worst thing would be losing my mom when I was 12. She has missed so much. Best thing? hmmm so much is good. Maybe my relatinoship with DH.

If you had a superpower, what would it be? To read minds or to understand every language in the world! I could be anywhere in the world and people could talk about me and then I would know what they were saying. Also cool on the bus in major cities.
#12 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM

What is your favorite book? OKay I admit - I hate reading. I do not have a favourite book.

favorite movie? Good Will Hunting

best childhood memory? Be cuddled by mom. Also my Dad making Christmas breakfasts. He never cooked otherwise.
#13 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM

What? no way... DH is trying to get out of it? Is this your first? My knee-jerk reaction was to resort to name calling (its not the hormones - I'm always like this) - but then I remembered my sister. Her husband was USELESS in the delivery room. I think they actually had to pull him up off the floor or something. So I wonder if he knows something about himself that isn't apparent? Like a fear of blood? Good luck with that, and I hope DH comes around for you.

How many people live in Yellowknife? Is it the type of place where everyone knows everyone? Do you like it?
#14 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM

So I am adding my own questions:

1. Who lives in your house?

2. What is a typical day like?

1. Who lives in your house?
Me and DH. And we have 3 foster kids - all siblings - 2,7, and 12. No pets.

2. What is a typical day like? Get up, get everyone ready and out the door. The older two go to school and the younger one goes to daycare. DH and I go to work - one floor apart but we basically have the same job with the government. We either work out at lunch or run errands to eat together. Then at 5 pick everyone up and rush home and make supper. Normally there is something to do in the evening - library, Scouts, meetings, swimming etc. Then baths and stories and everyone is off to bed. Then DH and I crash on the couch and watch TV.
#15 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM

kai28 - I think he is just more afraid. He also read an artical that said having men in the delivery room causes more stress on the woman. And he goes on that having men there is really new and not how it is traditionally done.

He does all the cooking and changes a lot of diapers so he is a great guy just doesn't want to be in the delivery room.

How many people live in Yellowknife? Is it the type of place where everyone knows everyone? Do you like it?

There are 20,000 here so you don't know everyone but you met a lot of people easily. It is very transit. I really like it. But I like everything we are involved with and my job.
#16 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM

How long have you had the foster children? That's awesome that you have them and are able to help them have a good life!!

When/how did you decide you were ready for children of your own (as another first timer I'm curious and asked this to Kate too)?

Do you like working with your DH?

Married to my best friend partners.gif Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two dog2.gif  Remembering angel1.gif 3/2008

****5***heartbeat.gif 10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#17 of 62 Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 PM

How long have you had the foster children? Our 7 year old boy came in Jan, his 2 year old sister in March and the 12 year old started coming in June but still only comes on weekend because he is in a behavioural program. But he should be here full time soon. And all three came away on vacation with us to visit our parents this summer and had a blast.

When/how did you decide you were ready for children of your own ? We have wanted children since before we were married but I wanted mat leave and a job to go back to. I was suppose to go permanent in August but it ended up being term but could still go permanent. We were going to TTC this fall but I found out I was pregnant in Aug. So now after all that waiting and working I don't even know if I will have mat leave(well top-up and a job to return to) or not. We were following natural family planning and my cycles were suppose to be too short to maintain the pregnancy so I thought we would have a lot of trouble getting pregnant but here we are.

Do you like working with your DH? I love it. We even shared an office for 2 months while he trained me. I call him all the time for help. He is very calm and intelligent. We are both computer programmers for the gov but he has 5 years experience and I had none when I started last Jan. It is nice talking to him on the way into work and seeing him on 'coffee' breaks.
#18 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 AM

How interesting...you're a foster parent and I'm a home visitor for foster children (I work for their attorneys) and we're both in the spotlight!

I have a lot of respect for fps who parent children with behavioral issues. It's a hard job...but it can be so rewarding. There's nothing more satisfying than going to visit a child in their foster home and seeing that they are thriving in a supportive family setting! Thanks!

#19 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is your favorite thing about Autumn?

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#20 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 AM

I love that spotlight thing !!

Where have you travelled ?
Where did you like it the most ?
What's your favorite canadian food ? Will you give us the recipe ?
#21 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM

What is your favorite thing about Autumn? It's a toss up between leaves and the clothing. I love sweaters.
#22 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM

Where have you travelled ? Disney world, Quebec City and Whitehorse. I have lived in Ottawa and Inuvik. I just applied for my passport and DH and I are hoping to go to Mexico at the beginning of Decemeber as it is kinda our last chance to get away with out kids. I have some friends who are willing to come in and take care of our foster kids.

Where did you like it the most ? I loved Whitehorse and driving the Dempster was so pretty.

What's your favorite canadian food ? Will you give us the recipe ? Canadian food . . . hmmm pizza maybe. And I don't have recipes because DH does all the cooking.
#23 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM

wobblykate - that is a neat job. No one ever comes and visits us. I talk to their social worker often but she doesn't come to our home. I thought people would stop by more often.
#24 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post
wobblykate - that is a neat job. No one ever comes and visits us. I talk to their social worker often but she doesn't come to our home. I thought people would stop by more often.
Weird...in the US there are requirements about how often social workers have to visit their kiddos...not that they always get followed, especially if the social worker thinks the kids are in a safe situation (which isn't fair to the kids, just because they're safe doesn't mean they don't need resources). Lawyers are also required to have contact (or send an advocate). As far as I know I'm the only person that has this job...I like to say I work for the best juvenile justice attorneys around because they care enough to hire me to visit their clients!

#25 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Are you going to find out the baby's sex? What are you going to do in Mexico? What's your Zodiac?

#26 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Are you going to find out the baby's sex? This is currently a huge debate. DH doesn't want to know and I do. I know people will want to make things and send presents so they should know the gender.

What are you going to do in Mexico? Getting warm and relaxing! I am slightly missing having a peaceful breakfast with DH on Saturday mornings. And I think once we have our own kids we will probably not get a chance to go away. Basically we are going to spend the time starring into each others eyes.

What's your Zodiac? Taurus. I am stubborn.
#27 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Are you looking at adopting the foster kids? How do they feel about the baby coming? Do they know?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#28 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Regarding your DH not wanting to be in the delivery room: my DH was the same way, and then I needed an emergency c/s due to DS being in distress. The OB was terrible at communicating, and no one would tell me why DS wasn't crying or what was going on. DH was able to find out the situation and tell me in a gentle way. I think the experience converted him as he has no hesitation this time.

-Is it hard working so close to DH?

-How did you decide you wanted to be a foster parent?

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#29 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Cross-posting the same question to wobblykate...

How did you find MDC?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#30 of 62 Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 PM

Are you looking at adopting the foster kids? Nope. We are praying that their mother gets the help she needs so she will be able to take care of them. And until then they are welcome to stay with us.

How do they feel about the baby coming? The 12 year old has seen 6 babies born after him from his mother. I don't think he thinks it is anything new. The 7 year old was amazed by the ultrasound and the fact that there is a baby in my tummy. He keeps touching my tummy. We are teaching the almost 2 year old that there is a baby in my tummy but she doesn't get it.

Do they know? Yes they were there when we told my family.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page