Weekly Chat: Sept 21 - Sept 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy first day of Autumn!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 61 Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM

We had an autumn celebration at our community garden today. I'm also celebrating that the seeds I planted earlier in the week have sprouted, so hopefully I'll have some nice fresh greens through the winter.

I also did some sewing today- made a little kimono/dress for one of my daughter's dolls, and finally finished the shirt for the new baby. We have a baby doll that my husband bought years ago that is typical newborn size, so I use it to try out baby clothes, diapers, etc. The shirt fits well- just a little big but perfect for a one-month old I would guess.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#3 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
We had an autumn celebration at our community garden today. I'm also celebrating that the seeds I planted earlier in the week have sprouted, so hopefully I'll have some nice fresh greens through the winter.

I also did some sewing today- made a little kimono/dress for one of my daughter's dolls, and finally finished the shirt for the new baby. We have a baby doll that my husband bought years ago that is typical newborn size, so I use it to try out baby clothes, diapers, etc. The shirt fits well- just a little big but perfect for a one-month old I would guess.
ooh, ooh...pictures?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
jkg

Happy Autumn! I just love this time of year!

The boys and I are going to pick out some gourds for our nature table today. I have to do everything before noon because that's been when I start feeling sick--weird!
#5 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM

I love this season so much I named one of my daughters "Autumn"

I'm drooling just thinking about cider and donuts... time for a cider mill run! Maybe next weekend. MMMMM.

Both excited and anxious - Thurs is our "big" u/s downtown to do the nuchal translucency scan. Let's hope everything measures perfect and there's no need for more testing... The cool part is that, if I take a videotape with me, they'll tape the whole u/s exam! So if I can figure out how to transfer it to my computer... and then figure out YouTube... maybe I can post it?

Baby's supposedly tripled in size since 10 weeks, when we had our last u/s. Should be fun, anyway, to see...

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#6 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM

Happy Autumn! Fall always makes me look forward to baking and eating homemade soups. Hopefully I'll be able to start cooking soon

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#7 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM

i'm the same way nicole...baking and soups..yum!! i usually have a crockpot going all winter...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#8 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Pumpkin bread is my favorite fall treat. Mmmmm!

DH and I did some stuff around the house yesterday and I found that it was *very* uncomfortable to bend at the waist. Is anyone else having that? I almost got a little worried because I was so tender at the end of the day. Maybe I just need to stop trying to move around as though there isn't a baby in there.

Oh, and I had a VERY bizarre dream last night that I was having an ultrasound, and we asked the tech if we could try to see if it was a boy or a girl. She scanned down and I could see the baby's behind, and then what looked like labia. Then - here's the freaky part! - there was ANOTHER HEAD in between the baby's legs, like coming OUT of her vagina!! The tech apparently didn't think that was so out of the ordinary, but she did say, "Well, it started out as a boy, but now it's a girl..." and then she went on to explain how that happens sometimes (and she explained the science, but I don't remember what she said), and that is where the root of gender identity issues come from!! I was like, Wow, so we're going to have a transgender girl? How do we handle *that*? And then I guess I flash-forwarded to when the little girl was around 6 or 7, and I was having a conversation with her and could see that she was really conflicted inside about her identity, so I guess I was trying to help her through that. I just remember thinking, GOD, this has got to be so hard and confusing for her! And it just made me think that my daughter (the one I have now)'s life is so simple by comparison.

#9 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I definitely get the uncomfortable feeling when I bend at the waste. I have a 10 pound puppy who LOVES to jump on me as though I am a trampoline and I can tell that my uterus definitely takes up my whole pelvis now because he jumped on me the other day (with all of his 10 pounds) and I yelled so loudly!

I had the STRANGEST dream last night too. I had a dream that I could feel my baby (and it ended up being twins although I know there is just one in there) through my stomach already and my skin was so elastic that I pulled it out and you could just see through and see the tiny 2 inch babies. It was REALLY weird. The one baby had dark black hair and looked almost like a little adult. WEIRD. Its amazing what our minds come up with when we are asleep. I was so happy to wake up and see my very normal tummy

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#10 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Gabrielle's middle name is Autumn.

I have grown out of all my bras already, sigh. I had to dig out all my larger nursing bras yesterday. :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm not tender, but I feel a fullness at my uterus when I bend over.

Pumpkin bread sounds heavenly right now!

My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#12 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
ooh, ooh...pictures?
Here they are!

I'm a summer lover, so always have a little foot dragging and denial when autumn arrives. But I do spend less time outside and more time with indoor crafty projects, so I'm looking forward to working on some more baby projects over the fall and winter.

Peony, I've grown out of all of my bras already, too.

Sounds like everyone is having crazy dreams- yikes!

#13 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM

i absolutely love autumn!!! i can't stand summer. LOL i hate heat. i love the crisp smell in the air...this is when i truly love southeastern PA. i love taking walks with crunching leaves beneath my feet, coming home and baking pumpkin bread or banana bread or something...and i'm not normally a baker. LOL by a long shot!

i just love this season!!! WHEEEE!!!
#14 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
i absolutely love autumn!!! i can't stand summer. LOL i hate heat. i love the crisp smell in the air...this is when i truly love southeastern PA. i love taking walks with crunching leaves beneath my feet, coming home and baking pumpkin bread or banana bread or something...and i'm not normally a baker. LOL by a long shot!

i just love this season!!! WHEEEE!!!
awww, you are in southeastern pa? I felt so homesick when I read this! My family is all in the Lebanon/Harrisburg area, and I miss them and the area so much!! the leaves changing and the mountains and amish country. The only place you can go where "chicken pot pie" is a soup.

But I have to admit that fall is nice in Ohio too(my new home). For almost every fruit or vegetable, there is a festival in Ohio to celebrate it! I hope I feel better soon so I can start enjoying them. I love fall/winter foods, and I always feel like knitting more as the weather gets cooler.

And another vote for pumpkin bread as the ultimate fall food! A few years ago I found a recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook and it is soooo good. It actually uses olive oil, but that doesn't change the flavor just makes it richer. I use the same recipe with extra pumpkin to make pumpkin cake(with cream cheese frosting of course). I look for reasons to make a cake just to make it more often. yum.
#15 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Some wacky dreams out there, for sure .

I really love fall...I love fall clothes, especially! Only I was really hoping for a couple more weeks on hot weather because my pear tree put off a second set of pears and they're too tiny right now...but they're actually in reach! We have two pear trees that must be 40 feet tall or something! They put off delicious fruit, but even with a picker on a pole, it's mostly impossible to reach. I only got enough so far this year to make two jars of blueberry pear sauce . Pear sauce is so good...I always put in a berry tho, so it doesn't turn brown :. I just hate to see all the wasted fruit on the ground, but 90% of the time when they fall they split because the ground is hard and they're falling from so high up.

Ooh...and this is in the spotlight, too, but I heard baby's heart beat today @ the MW! 155 bpm and moving A LOT! :

#16 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM

I love Fall.

Time for baking.... which is my therapy from now until april. I love it!

That's my thing for the holidays. I don't buy gifts, I make fudge and cookies and all kinds of yummy things and put them in little boxes for gifts.

On another note...

I was standing in the kitchen doing dishes sunday morning.... and my nipples started throbbing and burning! BAD! I had to sit down and put pressure on my chest with my arm/hands to relieve the pain. It was kinda funny, really. It passed after about 5 minutes. But it was so weird! Has anyone else ever felt this?

Other wise.... doing great. DH is out of town, so it's just me and the doggie.

My mom told me she'd like to come from out of town (she's in MA I'm in NJ) for my next U/S. I thought that was so cool! I'm very close with my mom... so it's so special that she wants to take the time to come and share in this with me and DH.

Oh.. and I'm going to Vegas on wednesday to visit a good friend of mine that just had a baby the last day of August. Can't wait! That's where DH is on business... so it'll be a fun trip.

Have a great week ladies!

ps - I grew out of my bras the second the pg test came back positive. A whole cup size! I've been living in the same 2 bras that I bought... and I'm sure I'll be growing more soon. blah.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#17 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM

My bra size hasn't changed at all . Maybe a little fuller...but the same 'ol "nearly B" cup. yippee.

#18 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM

My boobs feel heavier and denser. Not sure if they are bigger or not.
#19 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM

my boobs haven't really changed much, except to offer less milk to my dd. alas.

my mom baked gluten free pumpkin bread and brought it over and it's hands down the best i've ever tasted. there's this one spot toward the top of the loaf that didn't get completely cooked so it's sort of mushy and super moist and almost like batter still. omfg, DELISH!

mmmmmmmm
#20 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM

My boobs are the reason I can't wear most of my shirts anymore...it's kind of exciting...I've never had a RACK!

Love fall but living in Chicago you kind of miss out on the natural wonder of it unless you journey way out into the burbs.. I miss pumpkin picking and big piles of leaves like I had in Ohio growing up.
#21 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM

I made a pumpkin pie on Saturday and two apple pies last night. I took the kids apple picking yestreday. Apprently the apple pies leaked out onto the bottom of the oven though. DH was pre-heating the oven to make a pudding pie ( uke ) today and was downstairs doing laundry when he heard the dogs whining. He went upstairs to see what they were whining at and said there was an 8 foot flame in the oven

My chest thankfully hasn't been growing, my tummy on the other hand.... dh insists I haven't grown any but I think he has my twin pg in mind. That's the only thing I can think of, and I BETTER not end up that big I've been notcing the pants are starting to get tighter. I had on a short shirt and stretch pants yesterday and walked by our mirror and was like "yeah I'm changing" totally looked pg and we're trying to keep it quiet.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#22 of 61 Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
I love Fall.

Time for baking.... which is my therapy from now until april. I love it!

That's my thing for the holidays. I don't buy gifts, I make fudge and cookies and all kinds of yummy things and put them in little boxes for gifts.

On another note...

I was standing in the kitchen doing dishes sunday morning.... and my nipples started throbbing and burning! BAD! I had to sit down and put pressure on my chest with my arm/hands to relieve the pain. It was kinda funny, really. It passed after about 5 minutes. But it was so weird! Has anyone else ever felt this?

Other wise.... doing great. DH is out of town, so it's just me and the doggie.

My mom told me she'd like to come from out of town (she's in MA I'm in NJ) for my next U/S. I thought that was so cool! I'm very close with my mom... so it's so special that she wants to take the time to come and share in this with me and DH.

Oh.. and I'm going to Vegas on wednesday to visit a good friend of mine that just had a baby the last day of August. Can't wait! That's where DH is on business... so it'll be a fun trip.

Have a great week ladies!

ps - I grew out of my bras the second the pg test came back positive. A whole cup size! I've been living in the same 2 bras that I bought... and I'm sure I'll be growing more soon. blah.
I feel like I could have written your post (well a good portion of it)!!!!

My DH is away and its just me and the doggies. My mom lives in New Jersey (where I grew up) and her and my dad are both visiting this weekend and then coming with me to the ultrasound I have on Monday. AND I live in MA!!

My boobs have definitely gotten larger and fuller and I can still fit in some of my bras but I'm buying DD's now

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#23 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 AM

Bumping the chat...

I had a really busy day at work today, ate lunch on the go and collapsed not soon after getting home. I had plans for dinner that devolved in to canned tomato veggie soup and cheese toast (and actually felt proud of myself for including all four food groups in dinner!). I then fell asleep at 8:00 with my daughter, and just woke up now at not-quite-midnight starving for a snack and a little MDC time.

A couple of my client visits recently have been pretty intense. I have moments of looking at families with new babies and thinking "what have I gotten myself into?" I did a home visit today where everyone cried- mum, dad and new baby. And I wasn't that far from tears myself. When I see the intense sleep deprivation and breastfeeding struggles it really reminds me how HARD the first days with a newborn are. And some days I get a little freaked out about doing it again!

#24 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I totally understand about being nervous about having a newborn again. I'm terrified! I have not had good luck with newborns, rather both of my experiences have been less then pleasant. DD1 was always screaming, never slept longer then 20 minutes, didn't eat, hated the car, I couldn't go anywhere, etc... I really don't know who cried more during her first year, me or her. She has and always has been a very intense child, there is nothing easy about her. Years later she would have all sorts of diagnoses, sensory issues, cognitive delay, severe anxiety, ADD.

I thought nothing would be harder then DD1, then I got DD2, my mellow little girl who just happened to be exposed to pertussis at birth. We spent many months in and out of hospitals, struggling to get her to thrive at all, hoping she could beat it and stay with us. That time is almost blank in my mind other then it was truly hell. She was O2 dependent until she was 7 months old, has chronic lung disease. 2 years later is doing well considering what she went through but she still struggles respiratory wise. All I keep thinking is the third time HAS to be a charm, right?????

Today has not gotten off to a good start. DD2 is sick again, she was just sick on Sat with a cold, now she has a stomach bug. The child literally catches very germ known to man, if a bug passes through our area, there is a guarantee she will get it. I can't tell if my nausea is so bad because I'm thinking about getting sick, plus smelly nasty things from DD2, or if I have it as well. Sigh, I guess time will tell. :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm nervous about having a newborn, too. DD was really intense well, and a frequent night waker until she was 2. She didn't have colic, though, so I guess that is something to be grateful for!

I have a good friend who has a preemie 2-month old (born 4 weeks early) and she has been having a *very* rough time with nursing and sleeping issues, not to mention that her husband deployed to Iraq about 2 weeks after the baby was born.

I know that some people have relatively "easy" newborns....so I'm just really letting the Universe know that I am open to that experience this time around.

I remember when I was pregnant with Brynn, and we were all getting close to our due dates and everyone was getting so impatient for the babies to be born; one of the mamas who was having her second (or third?) child said, "I'm in no hurry. They're a lot easier to take care of while they're on the inside!"

Oh, I had a midwife appointment this morning and heard the baby's heartbeat. Yay! And I'm 12 weeks today!

#26 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Oh, I had a midwife appointment this morning and heard the baby's heartbeat. Yay! And I'm 12 weeks today!
::congrats!

#27 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Congrats Amy!!!!

#28 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM

DH and I figured we would have big family...I have been thinking 'six'...but I've been so exhausted this time around, and I feel like I've been neglecting my three...that maybe this will be our last. (then we'll hopefully adopt a few).

I want a large family, but I also want to be a great mother to the ones I already have. I've really been spending a lot of time thinking about this lately. I feel tired and conflicted about this. And a little sad that this might be my last pregnancy, my last birth, my last newborn...my last nursling....
#29 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM

this is our last for sure as well. It's difficult to accept at times, but I know that I'll be a much better parent to 4 kids then I could be to more. I already feel guilty that I haven't been the mom that they are used to these last two months b/c of m/s and exhaustion. I know that my boys will love the new baby, but there will also be times that it makes things more difficult for them as well.

#30 of 61 Old 09-25-2008, 02:13 PM

I'm worried about having a nb again too. I've had ppd with all my kids

In addation to that I had lyme disease when the twins were a few months old. NB twins are hard without the addition of ppd and lyme disease. Plus they were a little premature, spent some time in the nicu, then had milk/soy protein allergies, FTT, Dominic had 3 surgies by the time he was 18mths old.... On top of all that we had dd (who is just 17mths older than the boys) and ds#1 who is pdd-nos (on the autism spectrum)

Geeze typing that out its no wonder I'm apprenhisive to be adding to the family

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page