First Time Moms...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many first timers are there in here? I'm curious.

I'm a first timer. I spend a lot of my time trying to come up with a generalized game plan. Things I'd like to do with the kid everyday, things I'd like to do with the kid every few days, once a week, whatever. Things I'd like to have DH do, and be HIS bonding thing with the baby. Diapers, elimination communication, how to wear the baby, etc... a lot of it consumer-driven (gotta have a registry at some point). I realize any plan in somewhat useless, but it makes me feel better, and if I identify now what elements I want to be part of my kids childhood, then maybe they'll actually make it in there sometimes. It's a coping mechanism. Something to go back to as a starting point, but can be revised, etc.

I had lunch with a friend (a non-mom) yesterday and mentioned all the choices there are and the decisions I'll have to make in the coming months. I mentioned diapers, and she just assumed I meant which brand of disposable. My reaction was, 'well, I think we're going cloth - I'm staying home, and its a lot cheaper & healthier. we'll use disposable when we travel. but it's not just cloth vs. disposable. there are different diaper systems, different materials, diaper services... it's a little overwhelming' and she was just shocked. she had no idea there were so many choices. Bamboo! there are bamboo diapers (I have bamboo sheets, and LOVE them)!

Am I the only one worrying about this stuff?
#2 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am a first time mom to be! I think you are WAY ahead of me though with all the planning! I'm still trying to get passed the fear of having someone be soley dependent upon DH and I! We are both very excited but I think I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety as well. I know that once this baby comes I am going to be nothing but happy about it. I love kids and have been babysitting since I was 14. I worked in numerous preschools with babies and toddlers, etc. I'm very good with babies (and am always told so) and I know I'll know what to do MOST of the time!

As far as planning DH is in the military and is getting out in December after the baby comes so we are going to be focusing on where we are going to live after all this!! I guess I'm trying to take it one day at a time as to not overwhelm myself.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#3 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

congrats on your husband getting out of the military - it's a totally new life, but then again, it's much freer. My DH was in the military the first 4 years of our marriage. I found it to be very difficult. It is very freeing to not have to ask permission to make grown-up decisions. We travelled a lot the first year out because we didn't have to worry about getting leave - we could just GO. You can live whereever you want, you can get whatever jobs you want... you can say what you want. wear what you want, have whatever bumperstickers you want :-) It can be daunting, but if you look at the bright side of it, it's very freeing. The military felt very clausterphobic to me.

When he got out, I found it very hard not to keep thinking "we'll only be here for a little while, so I shouldn't get too comfortable". It goes away over time. or did for me.
#4 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 AM

I am SUPER EXCITED that he is getting out. It is very annoying that we cannot make our own grown up decisions. It's amazing that these people tell him when and where he has to go to the dentist, which shots he has to get, etc. Him getting out is pretty much the only reason I agreed to marry him (military life is not for me). He is away right now and is coming home today!!! That's the hardest part. He is in a deployable unit and they go away at least once every other month or so sometimes more. It is tough. It's especially scary to think about him having to leave when the baby is born. I'm sure it won't happen too much though because at that point he will be on his way out already and training the new guy. I also know that if he has to go away my Mom would absolutely come stay with me and that will help too. I know I'll be able to do it on my own but we also have two dogs and it would just get old quick if he had to be away for awhile. I'm so thankful that I'm so close to my mom and she is as excited for this baby as we are!

Do you work? Do you have to think about daycare if you do? I work right now but financially it wouldn't be worth me going back to work after the baby is born while we still live here. I'm sure that when we move we will end up closer to my parents at least for a little while and then I can focus more on my career as I know my mom will watch the baby for us. She has been waiting for this for quite some time (she used to give me the "I don't care if you are married or not I just want a grandbaby"!!!).

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#5 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm a first timer too
Actually, I've been researching and being on communities about AP, breastfeeding, elimination communication etc for a couple of years, now but I's surely impatient to have my baby in my arms and be the best mom I can be... All this is something new for my poor love who feels really scared about some of my choices (he always knew about me willing to give a homebirth and was very supportive but, now that it is "real", he realizes I mean it and that really scares him) but he is willing to learn and read a lot of websites about all that...
I'll be a SAHM (and work at home mom too, as I give private lessons and do translations) so I guess I'll be the one having to cope with my decisions anyway

Even if I was in the AP "world" for about 5 years, I never really looked into the pregnancy thing so, that's REALLY new to me and.. I looove it
#6 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 AM

What does AP mean?

#7 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 AM

AP = attachment parenting.
#8 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks!

#9 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM

First timer here too!

I've actually surprised myself AND DH about how laid back I've been thus far. I am by nature a planner and researcher (doesn't help that I'm a librarian and surrounded by books and journals all day) but something about this kid inside me has made me relax (for once) and enjoy it and take things as they come. These hormones, while causing me to puke my guts out also seem to be acting as some kind of natural valium.

My only thoughts right now are for a safe/happy pregnancy but, I think once it gets a little more real I'll start the nuts and bolts planning. Thus far I've really only been looking into the kind of vax schedule I want to commit to as well as hatching a plan to read read read to him/her every single day from they day they are born.
#10 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 PM

I do think about practical things (diapers, furniture, daily routines, etc) but I've actually been pretty chill about a lot of that stuff so far. Part of it is that I feel like I've got a lot of time to sort all of that out, so I'm just doing it little by little.

I probably spend more time thinking about the values that are important to me and DH, and how we can communicate them and make them a central part of our child's life. I know there will be a lot of days where I just have to make it through the day and won't necessarily be thinking on that level all the time, but it seems like that would make it even easier to lose track of that kind of thing. I do plan to stay at home with the baby (don't make enough $ and don't like my job enough to justify putting Junior in daycare), so I'm looking forward to really spending a ton of time with our little one and watching every day as he/she grows and learns new things. (Not that WOHMs don't get to do that, but they don't get to spend as much time doing it!) This whole process is so exciting. :

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#11 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm a first timer, too. Right now I'm sort of in the survival mode of "how will we make it through the maternity leave?" I'm loosing one of my jobs in December and having a hard time finding anything else to replace it. In order to take three months off I really need to work until March and save money. Ugh.

But I have been thinking about values, long-term child-rearing, too. I just finished Ralph Nader's "The Seventeen Traditions," which I highly recommend. It's such a quick little book and packed full of ways to convey family values/traditions. I think I'll read it more than once.

Also about the technical end of things...where we're going to put everything that's currently in the baby's room, when we should start moving things, all the sewing I have to do! Yikes! A lot of work. We found a great dresser yesterday at Goodwill for $60. It's solid and it's low enough to use as a changing table, but also big enough that it will last the baby through high school, easily. Big is good, because we don't have a lot of hanging closet space, either (Both DH and I have a coat addiction and baby's closet is full. We tried to get rid of a bunch, but there are still too many ). Of course right now the dresser's painted white and has a lot of chips. I'm going to sand it down and spray paint it red (wearing a mask, of course).

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#12 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 PM

You just reminded me Kate. I got some bittersweet news this weekend. My aunt has one beautiful little girl who is now 4. She has been trying to have one more so badly. She went through IVF 3 times and just turned 43 the other day. The last IVF try occurred a couple weeks ago and she found out it didn't take and now sadly she is done trying and is accepting that she will only have one child. They are not willing to adopt and this was their last chance. Anyway, she knows that I'm trying (I'm telling everyone this weekend) so she called me up pretty upset and said she was cleaning things out and wanted to know if I would like ALL of her baby stuff! I'm still a little shocked about it all. She doesn't want any of it anymore as its too hard to see it so she is going to give me everything. I'm imagining this to be the crib, changing table/dresser (although I might still want to get a corner changing table we'll see), pack-and-play, etc. She was like I'm not sure if you want your things new and I was like no. DH and I would HAPPILY take all of her stuff that has been in the family only and only used by one child (not that that would even really matter maybe just for the crib for safety but its fairly new still). She didn't find out what she was having so her theme was animals - very neutral. Either way I'm super excited about not having to worry about all of that stuff!!! Of course, I feel so terrible for her as well.

#13 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry for your aunt and glad she has her one little girl. But what a relief to you to not have to buy so much stuff! We're totally lucky on that point, too. My Brother and SIL's youngest refused to sleep in their beautiful crib and only wants the pack and play, so they're passing the crib on to us. They've also got tons of cool stuff (esp. if this is a boy, which both DH and I are starting to expect...but maybe we'll get a girl) to hand us off later. We waited a lot longer to have kids than some of the other people around us, so we're going to luck out and not have much to buy except a car seat, which my parents said they'd get for us! They're also buying us a organic crib mattress!

#14 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Yay!! I'm even thinking my Aunt is going to give me her car seat. I mean the way she made it sound I think we are open to take anything we want - why not?!?!? This part is exciting!! I didn't think I'd get much in the way of hand me downs but if this baby is a girl I'm sure she will have even more hand me downs! I'm am strongly convinced its a boy though so we'll see

#15 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I've got more girl stuff right now than I know what to do with . By friend has passed along to me all her daughter's out-grown clothes...

#16 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM

So for you other first timers has pregnancy thus far been what you expected?

I'd have to say for me that would be a NO! I feel like I didn't read the find print somehow... Like where it says you will feel tired and have nausea and be hungry and not hungry all at the same time there was some asterix that I missed that says...

*You will feel more tired than you have in your entire life. You will think about napping every minute that you are not napping. Also you will feel so sick for so long that you won't care that you have to stop and vomit in someone's yard on the way home from the corner store and that there are neighborhood kids watching you do so in absolute horror. You will also stop caring that when you are in a crowded Target bathroom puking you sound like a dying walrus. CONGRATULATIONS!

However, that being said seeing that there is actually a tiny human growing inside you makes up for all the awfullness.
#17 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 02:40 PM

I'm a first time mom too.

I am actually finding the pregnancy a lot easier then I thought it would be. I was never tired. And naseua was only a few weeks.

I haven't thought a lot about what to get for the baby and what we will do. I have thought a lot about when people are going to come up and visit us.

Honestly, I don't plan much because I keep expecting to miscarry.
#18 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM

Please don't throw anything at me, but it's been wonderful. I mean, I had a little fatigue from like week 6 or 7 to week 10 and if I over do things I get palpitations. But that's it. And ever since I started week 12 I've felt invincible! Of course, the worry has been hard, when you don't have any symptoms you don't have proof, right? But other than that, I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

#19 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Me! I'm a first timer.

I remember dreaming pre-pregnancy about how incredible being pregnant would be and how I just couldn't wait to experience it (and childbirth and parenting!). I also feel (slightly) duped by the fine print of constant nausea, sleepiness, inability to focus. I'm also pretty sure once I feel or see or hear this little creature that I will have an easier time focusing on the baby than on the nausea. And hopefully, the nausea will diminish soon and make room for thoughts on other things.

I've been detesting work lately, and am looking forward to my mat leave (we get a year here). DH works from home and I get weepy thinking about how excited I am to be around him and for him to be around the kid every day. (The weepy part is definitely the hormones.) But he and I are scheming to see if I can somehow do a bit of work for him instead of coming back to my job once the year is up. I'm at least hoping that I can choose to come back to work rather than be required to for financial reasons. I've always wanted to be a SAHM.

Around the house we've done nothing. Even though I'm typically a planner, I somehow feel like we'll figure out and acquire the pre-birth essentials (like diapers, carseat, clothes, other stuff?), then go from there. This will hopefully get some active thought in the next little while

Mama to Irene, who came into this world with grace on April 12, 2009 and missing my sweet son William, born into love at 22 weeks on January 20, 2012.

#20 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm lucky for the most part like Kate and haven't had much by way of nasea. I've had a little queasiness here and there. I've definitely experienced fatigue. I also already have anxiety issues and find it being heightened being the hardest part for me. I am hoping that as the hormones start to level off I will feel better in that department too.

And a year for maternity leave?!?!?!?!?!? . I mean I'm probably not going back and will probably have the leisure of trying to decide what I want to do when I'm ready or when its necessary. We are prob going to do the whole - do I say it - live with my parents thing at first when DH is out of the military. I never thought I could do it but for a few months it might not be so bad. Plus there house is a huge bi-level so it can be made to feel as though we have our own part of the house. We'll see. This is not a definite though!!!!

#21 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post

Honestly, I don't plan much because I keep expecting to miscarry.
Why????

#22 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Please don't throw anything at me, but it's been wonderful.
:

This is the closest I could find to throwing something at you
#23 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM

First timer here as well.

Elroebot - I'm right with you on being more laid back than expected

I've daydreamed of what it would be like to be pregnant for so I long.... I was sure that I'd be a crazy planning emotional psycho the entire time. But that's so not the case. I pay extra attention to taking care of myself.... but sometimes I even forget that I'm pregnant (I then find myself running to the bathroom to pee or bobbing my sleepy head around 4pm while at work... like I'm in high school again!).

I've talked and been around many different kinds of moms.... and have been collecting my own thoughts for the last few years. Many of my ideas have been changed or modified from what I once thought I wanted. I've also been shopping for many other pregnant friends, and have read up on a lot of baby gear so many decisions have already been made for what I would like to use/have. My concept is keeping things simple (which also works because we have such a small house). I'm also finding that the thought of plastic everything makes me want to scream... so I'm spending lots of time searching for wood alternatives... and reasoning that if I'm getting less "stuff" I can budget more for the wood version of what could be had for half the price in plastic.

My other concern right now is fixing up our home a bit. Fresh paint and carpet in our bedroom, new walls and refinished floor in our living room....we've put all this off for the last 4 years, thinking we'd be putting an addition on the house before baby, but that hasn't happened. I even took initiative over the summer while DH was gone (and before getting PG) and stripped the wallpaper off the walls in the bathroom. It was a highly rewarding, yet time/labor intensive job that I would not recommend to the weak-willed. lol. After priming and painting the walls and ceiling - voila! A completely transformed bathroom. BEFORE - dark tan and mallard green wallpaper with picture-scapes of men fly fishing and lines of intertwined fish hooks up and down the walls..... AFTER - Pale fresh green. SIGH. I was so proud (heck... I still am!).

well... this post is total overload. So I'll stop!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#24 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post

I probably spend more time thinking about the values that are important to me and DH, and how we can communicate them and make them a central part of our child's life.
Yes, exactly. As far as communicating them is concerned, well... I'm hoping that it will just kind of happen. "this is how our family does things..." or "we don't do that" or "we don't treat people like that". Living/learning by example. It will be interesting because we're blending a few cultures here - its nice that we can emphasize the better parts of each and just kind of ignore the ones that are less convenient.
#25 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM

michanders4 - Numbers play a big role in that. 50% or so of pregnancies end in the first trimester. I have always considered that a real possibility. And my mom had 2 miscarriages.

I am a very happy person but I am very practical. There is a lot that can go wrong. I am also very open about death. It can and it does happen.
#26 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm another first-timer. I guess we really haven't done much planning yet, but we did recently move from a place way too small for just us to a place where we could actually fit a kid. And I've been thinking about a baby for years (I'm 39, and DP took some prodding, although he's happy now - he says he was so damn difficult because he knew he'd be happy, if that makes any sense).

I worry a lot about miscarrying also, because of my age, and because I had a miscarriage this spring. I've only told a very small amount of people, and more than half of them only know just because DP's parents live very far away, but they are in town to see their newest grandchild - we told them because we could do it in person, and one of their other kids was there, then I told my best friend. Before Sunday, just DP & my mother! The second trimester starts in two and a half weeks, and I hope to breath easier then.

bftoddler.gif

#27 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Do you work? Do you have to think about daycare if you do?
I do work, kind of. I'm an environmental scientist, so 3 months before TTC I pretty much quit. I work a day or two a month, but thats it. Too much handling of hazardous materials. So I'm doing the maintenance on some very low-level on going projects. Not sure when I'll quit that, but probably once it gets to be winter and the idea of driving 150 miles a day isn't fun anymore (lots of running to sites, running samples around, etc). My employer was great - it's the 1st place I worked out of college. I left for 4 years (when I married my husband & he went into the military). When we moved back, and he got out, and we were stable, I went back PT. They are really supportive - it's like a second home.

I'm not going back to work after the baby. Not until school starts at least, and probably not then. I am also a photographer, and spend a couple days a week in a studio about a half-hour away. After the baby comes, DH will work from home one day a week so he can be with the baby on his own & bond and so I can continue with photography.

Having my mom watch the kid isn't an option - she's 20 min away, but I don't really feel like she's stable enough to watch my kid. She did a real number on me, and I'm trying to spare my kid that horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilek View Post
I'm a first timer too
Actually, I've been researching and being on communities about AP, breastfeeding, elimination communication etc for a couple of years, now but I's surely impatient to have my baby in my arms and be the best mom I can be... Even if I was in the AP "world" for about 5 years, I never really looked into the pregnancy thing so, that's REALLY new to me and.. I looove it
It's funny - I knew what kind of parent I wanted to be - I just wasn't aware there was a term for it (AP). I'm not in any rush for the baby to get here - not all the time anyway. I have things to do first. Pregnancy is just about as bad as I thought it would be. Worth it in the end, but kind of sucky during the process.
#28 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroebot View Post
:

This is the closest I could find to throwing something at you

You missed these two

And momma2be_k I know what you mean about the plastic! It's everywhere. I find a lot of wooden toys at the thrift store and I want to make some home made cotton stuffed toys. Sigh. You know polyester is plastic? I guess we can't avoid everything.

#29 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to comment on the non-plastic. YES. I'd like to avoid plastic. If someone just HAS to give us some plastic toy, I've asked them to get something used somewhere - that way it's already kind of outgassed. I doubt anyone would want to buy us a used plastic toy, so hopefully they'll take the hint. (my family is kind of stuck up - you show affection by buying shiny new stuff, whereas I'd rather have home made stuff - got lots of woodworkers & sewers in our families).
#30 of 43 Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post
michanders4 - Numbers play a big role in that. 50% or so of pregnancies end in the first trimester. I have always considered that a real possibility. And my mom had 2 miscarriages.

I am a very happy person but I am very practical. There is a lot that can go wrong. I am also very open about death. It can and it does happen.
Yeah I know a thing or two about these two things. I myself had an early first trimester miscarriage last time (in March) but even though I was afraid I guess I wasn't as afraid of what could happen since I hadn't experienced it. That's what made me curious. It definitely does happen quite a lot and its so sad! Also, I lost my sister unexpectedly 3 and a half years ago

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page