no heartbeat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im 11 weeks today, and went in for my appt with the midwife. she couldnt find the heartbeat. well, i just saw it on monday so im not really concerned, and she wasn't at all either. she didnt even try looking for it too long. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? the mw told me that she thought the baby was just still sitting too far down in my pelvis. which is scary because my belly already sticks way out. how big is it going to be when the baby actually makes it out of my pelvis? LOL. anyway, is this weird or what? i heard dd's hb at 10 weeks on the dot. :

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#2 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM

I've never listened for a hb with a doppler with my pregnancies, but I don't think it's weird not to have heard it at 11 weeks. I know sometimes an anterior placenta can make it hard to hear a hb in a small fetus. Do you know if your placenta is anterior based on your u/s?

And I hear you on the belly sticking out with no baby up there. I felt my uterus when I was lying down yesterday and I was surprised at how low it was considering how big my belly looks!
#3 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM

i'm glad you aren't worried about it, mama. i think that is important.
like you said, you know it IS beating. You will most likely be able to hear it at your next appointment.

Mama to 3 boys 

#4 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys for the nice words. i dont know about the placenta, but the us tech did tell me i have a "tilted" uterus. would that have anything to do with it? i forgot to ask the midwife about that today, doh.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

I was actually just at the ob yesterday, I'm about 10.5 weeks and the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat either. I had to have a pap too and she said that she'd try again after the pelvic exam because sometimes the uterus is way down in the pelvis and the doppler can't pick up the hb. So, after the exam we tried it again and heard it just fine. My belly is sticking out too but my uterus must be hiding in there somewhere. GOod luck!
#6 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM

DH & I look at the belly each night (as I'm poking it and saying "thats so weird!") and we say to each other "its in there SOMEWHERE"...
#7 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM

I had the same thing happen last time at 13 weeks. I did go in for an u/s because I hadnt had one yet and I'm kind of high risk. Baby was fine, but in my case my placenta covered the entire front wall (which was still fairly small at 13 weeks).
It could be an anterior placenta. One other way you'll know if its the placenta is that movement and kicks are felt later with an anterior placenta --could be more like 20 weeks instead of 15 or 16.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#8 of 16 Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

is an anterior placenta something they would have seen at my u/s on mon? neither the mw or us tech said anything about that, just that my uterus was tipped or tilted or something. im pretty sure ive already felt movement, but cant be sure because its still so early.

#9 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM

I've seen a lot of stuff on other forums about people not being able to hear the hb at 12 weeks...I think you're right not to be too concerned, especially since you just saw it on u/s not long ago. I've seen a lot of things about babies "hiding" and being unable to hear them as late as 15 weeks...next time I'm sure they'll get the little one!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#10 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 AM

I think it is very common, to hear it with the midwife, then not for whatever reason. With #2, we heard the heartbeat at 10 weeks, with lots of effort and a strong doppler. 6 weeks later at 16 weeks, we couldn't find the heartbeat, but we knew we were ok, the midwife was using a doppler with very little power.

I think for this pregnancy, I will likely do the doppler the first visit and the fetascope for all subsequent visits.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#11 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I have a retroverted uterus and my midwife couldn't hear a heartbeat at 10 weeks. As hard as it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#12 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM

I had my first mw appointment on Tuesday, and I was 12w 4d and she couldn't hear the heartbeat either. I've been told that I have a pretty tipped uterus, so although I was a little disappointed, I wasn't surprised. My mw said that she'd order an ultrasound for me, if I was worried. But I'm NOT that ($200) worried!

I'm sure we'll hear it next month without trouble.
#13 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 10 weeks and we couldn't hear the heartbeat this week. I am told by several sources that this is perfectly normal!

I'm a little anxious about it as well, because this is my third pregnancy and I have been having irrational fears (for the first time) of m/c because I feel like we've had such good luck in the past that something is bound to go wrong.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#14 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM

The earlist I had a mw look for a hb with a doppler was when I was about ll wks pregnant with twins. She couldn't find the heartbeat and wasn't concerned and said probably next time. We didn't know I was having twins at the time

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#15 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post
I'm a little anxious about it as well, because this is my third pregnancy and I have been having irrational fears (for the first time) of m/c because I feel like we've had such good luck in the past that something is bound to go wrong.
I feel like this, too. I'm trying to work through it. I don't want to draw bad energy to myself by convincing myself that something is wrong.

I keep going back and forth about using the doppler at my 14 week appointment with my mw. I need to do more research, but I've heard that the doppler exposes the baby to a lot more radiation than u/s. I'm hoping to feel consistent movement by then so I won't be tempted.
#16 of 16 Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

ok so it sounds like the tipped/ tilted/ sideways/ whatever uterus could have had something to do with it. im not too worried anyway. im sick tonight after not being sick for three evenings in a row, so i know something is still going on in there. lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page