Mothering Forum banner

We're spending a month in Peru... any advice????

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MadiMamacita 
#1 ·
We are likely going to be spending a month in Peru this December. We will fly into Lima after having spent a month in Costa Rica (where we visit regualrly) and then we will be spending most of our visit in the Sacred Valley area, touring and volunteering. We will be travelling with our three children. I am wondering if anyone has any advice or???

what are the must sees that we might miss?
any good travel trips for a family?
any health concerns that I shoudl take seriously? (My kids are not vaxed altho I am considering giving us all the hep a but thats it right now... we're nto going to be in the amazon so I wasn't going to worry about malaria or yellow fever...)
best local things to eat or drink?

See less See more
#2 ·
I lived in Peru for 2 years and my DH is peruvian!
I spent most of my time in Lima, but I have done Cusco as well as a big trip around most of the country.

I would think about the Hep A shot. I am a selective vaxxer (my LO is 8 mos and hasn't had any yet, but we're considering Hep A for going to Peru) I knew lots of people to get it there. I never got really sick, but I was pretty diligent about not drinking the water (I did brush my teeth and shower in it, though) and washing fruit and veg. in boiled water. I would recommend buying a cheap electric teapot in Peru to take with you on your various travels.
Do you have your accommodations in order? My husband and I stayed at a lovely little guest house in Cusco that was pretty reasonably priced and nice and clean.

The food in Peru is awesome. I always ate food from the street vendors and little family run restaurants and I never got sick. Ceviche, Lomo Saltado, and Aji de Gallina are some things you simply must try. I'd skip on the local red wine- unless you like suuuuper sweet wine.

I highly recommend the Lonely Planet Peru guide. We got some really great info from there, and the cusco section is great for restaurants. Are you flying from Lima to Cusco or driving? There are some pretty cool little places to stop along the way if you're not flying.

I might suggest an overnight stay in Aguas Calientes if you are doing Macchu Picchu- either the night before so you can be one of the first ones up, or that evening so you can decompress after the sights.

I could go on and on. PM me if you want more!

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I lived in Peru for 2 years and my DH is peruvian!
I spent most of my time in Lima, but I have done Cusco as well as a big trip around most of the country.

I would think about the Hep A shot. I am a selective vaxxer (my LO is 8 mos and hasn't had any yet, but we're considering Hep A for going to Peru) I knew lots of people to get it there. I never got really sick, but I was pretty diligent about not drinking the water (I did brush my teeth and shower in it, though) and washing fruit and veg. in boiled water. I would recommend buying a cheap electric teapot in Peru to take with you on your various travels.
I actually got tested and found out I have hep a immunity already somehow acquired naturally through exposure from previous travels in Central America no doubt
so it's even likley my kids have been exposed too... anyways...

why a teapot? to boil questionable water???

Quote:

Do you have your accommodations in order? My husband and I stayed at a lovely little guest house in Cusco that was pretty reasonably priced and nice and clean.
sounds good! we are looking for family friendly accomodations... Los Ninos is recommended a lot online...

Quote:

The food in Peru is awesome. I always ate food from the street vendors and little family run restaurants and I never got sick. Ceviche, Lomo Saltado, and Aji de Gallina are some things you simply must try. I'd skip on the local red wine- unless you like suuuuper sweet wine.
I can't wait... and we love ceviche!

Quote:

I highly recommend the Lonely Planet Peru guide. We got some really great info from there, and the cusco section is great for restaurants. Are you flying from Lima to Cusco or driving? There are some pretty cool little places to stop along the way if you're not flying.
we're trying to decide if we want to fly to Cusco or bus? not sure best options with kids but also considering needing to adjust to altitude... I had been thinking of maybe going through Cusco to somewhere a little lower at first to let everyone get used to it more slowly and easily as I udnerstand Cusco is fairly high... we must visit Ollantaytambo as part of our volunteer plans, so that is a possible first destation in the area...

Quote:

I might suggest an overnight stay in Aguas Calientes if you are doing Macchu Picchu- either the night before so you can be one of the first ones up, or that evening so you can decompress after the sights.
that's definitely the plan... any recommendations as to where to stay?

Quote:

I could go on and on. PM me if you want more!
Please go on!!!
anything esp good for families? what type of clothes should I bring/how cold does it get... we want to pack light!

#4 ·
I used the Lonely Planet guide too and thought it was great. I'll second the overnight stay recommendation for Aguas Calientes! Definitely give the "Inca Kola" a try!
I didn't run into any problems at all, and I was traveling alone with my 4 year old DD. Okay, well, she did get lice- I assume from playing with other kids, especially since I didn't get it. People were so incredibly kind, it was fabulous.

I didn't do a tour of Machu Picchu, I figured it was pointless with a 4 year old. I bought a book at home and thought it was fairly good- here's a link!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulmom View Post
why a teapot? to boil questionable water???
Yes, because you will def. want to wash any fruits/veg in clean water before consumption, and this is hard while traveling, unless you just plan to buy lots of bottled water to wash fruit in. I don't like the taste of the boiled water, so I drink bottled when there, but I wash fruit and veg in boiled water.

Quote:

sounds good! we are looking for family friendly accomodations... Los Ninos is recommended a lot online...
Now that it has been a few years I can't remember the name of the little place we stayed- it had a kitchen for the guests to use which was a huge plus to me while traveling- hate to eat every meal out! i'll get back to you!

Quote:

we're trying to decide if we want to fly to Cusco or bus? not sure best options with kids but also considering needing to adjust to altitude...we must visit Ollantaytambo as part of our volunteer plans, so that is a possible first destation in the area...
the bus from lima is quite long. with kids i'd say fly for sure. i found that if you just lay low for a few days you'll adjust fine. keep everyone very hydrated! ollantaytambo is great but we did just a day trip there, so i dont know anything about the accommodations.

Quote:

that's definitely the plan... any recommendations as to where to stay?
i never stayed in aguas calientes, but i wished i had! i've read that one of the places has a natural hot spring to soak in.. this place sounds great! http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT rupa wasi eco lodge.

Quote:

Please go on!!!
anything esp good for families? what type of clothes should I bring/how cold does it get... we want to pack light!
i've been to cusco twice- once in june and once in feb. i remember being very cold in june, and i'm looking at a picture from my feb. trip and i'm weraing a sweat shirt and rolled up jeans.
i'd suggest long pants and at least one warm sweatshirt. although dec. in lima will be super hot, so shorts and ts for however long you'll be there! layers is key though, as the morning and evening are often much cooler than the middle of the day!

if you have time, one of my favorite places in peru is Pisco- my dh and i celebrated our first dating anniversary at this great hotel with a pool and fun game room and we did a fun day trip to the islas ballestas. pisco is a few hours south of lima by bus.
as far as lice goes, yes, lice is a reality of life there. i've heard that if you add tee tree oil to your shampoo the lice will leave you alone. might be worth it to take a bottle with you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.