VBAC in Bogota, Colombia? OB Rec? Midwife? Doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My family and I were recently relocated to Bogota, Colombia for my husband's work. We are going to be here for approx. 3 years. My first son is almost 5 and was born via cesarean section in California. We are now TTC and I am a little nervous about finding a provider that will be supportive and respectful of my choice to pursue a trial of labor. The other option would be to travel to the US for the birth (my family lives in Florida) I am curious to hear if anyone has any experience, comments, recommendations, advice, etc. 

Thank you all in advance,

Maria

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Moving to Finding Your Tribe... good luck with your search, I hope someone in FYT has the perfect suggestion for you.  Also, is there a LLL branch nearby that might have suggestions?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Hello Maria, I am currently living in Bogota and expecting our second child who will be born here this spring. I met this awesome doctor- midwife: Mauricio Espinosa from Procrear ( www.procrearcolombia.com). There seems to be little information for mothers looking into natrual birht here in bogota but I think that a good place to start is with Procrear.

Good luck!

Ximena

#4 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Hi Mejoras!

I am sorry to say I haven't got an answer for you, but I would say that in general having at least a trial labor after FIVE years is prety typical of what I have seen in maternity care in latin America so far.

I am living in bogota, too.  We live in cedritos and I work for The English School.  I'd love to get a little play group together.

PM me if you want to meet up sometime.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ximena,

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I am going to contact them at hopefully get an appointment to come and talk to them about my situation. Thanks again,

Maria

#6 of 8 Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Rebekah! Thank you for your response. How long have you lived in Bogota? We moved here 5 months ago. We are actually in the process of applying to The English School for my five year old to start next Fall. We just had the interview with the admissions committee today. 

We are still not pregnant and have been frustrated because it has been much harder this time around...grrr.

I would love to meet some time. We live near the Parque de la 93. Maybe we can go to the park with the kids sometime. 

Hope to hear from you soon,

Maria

#7 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Definitely.  I'll PM you my cell number now.  We have been here since August. 

FWIW my son loves our school.  He has lots of friends and the teachers in Kinder are SO great and loving, though I still think 25 students in a group is NUTS for a supposedly bilingual program.

They had their first assembly/pageant today and it was SO freaking cute I could have burst. 

BTW, I'm the head of the English Department in Secondary so if you have any questions about the school or our language programs, let me know.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#8 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Hi Ximena,

We are moving to Bogota with my husband and our daughter. I'm pregnant now and started to consider options for midwifes and hospitals there, can I ask you about your experience with procrearcolombia? 

Thanks in advance!

Martha

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page